Pianotech

• 1.  Long term tuning stability - is 11 years a record?

Posted 08-06-2022 17:12
    It was with delight that I went to Genoa in Italy last week to tune a Bechstein and a couple of Steinways. One of the Steinways and the Bechstein had been moved up and down mountains 
    - yes - a 5ft path at around 45 degrees half way up a mountain
    so there wasn't any hope that these instruments would be in tune.

In contrast, a Steinway S had not been moved but had been played frequently.
    Tuning a Steinway S last tuned 11 years ago and demonstrating High Definition Unequal Temperament
    YouTube remove preview
    Tuning a Steinway S last tuned 11 years ago and demonstrating High Definition Unequal Temperament
    "How often do I need to tune my piano?" It depends on the piano . . . and its tuner. I last tuned this lovely Steinway S 11 years ago and you can make up you...
    View this on YouTube >
    and to our amazement realised that it had been 11 years since last I'd tuned it. The pianist was good enough here to play some of his repertoire really demonstrating chromatism in key colour - or tonality as is referred to in Italian.

Last year I was surprised at a Steinway A which I hadn't visited for three or so years on account of Covid but for an instrument not to be objectionable after 11 was a surprise. Is it a record?

Best wishes,

David P

------------------------------
    David Pinnegar BSc ARCS
    Hammerwood Park, East Grinstead, Sussex, UK
    +44 1342 850594
    "High Definition" Tuning

• 2.  RE: Long term tuning stability - is 11 years a record?

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 08-06-2022 17:27

I've met pianos still very good after 11 years, but not heavily played, not moved, and in an extremely stable climate.

So, I think your record stands.

• 3.  RE: Long term tuning stability - is 11 years a record?

Posted 08-06-2022 18:37
    I have had a good number of pianos where it has been several years since I last tuned them and A4 is dead on with the rest of the piano just needing the unisons tweaked. One of the most amazing brands have been several golden era Mason & Hamlin grands that have been rebuilt. Our environment on the coast of South Carolina and even inland is extremely challenging because of year round humidity . I have installed many piano life saver systems that have tamed pianos that jumped all over the spectrum. Lots of client education on temperature control, relative humidity, piano care, room monitoring. I will be seeing a Yamaha Conservatory Grand shortly that has not been tuned since I did it a year before Covid . It will be interesting to see where the pitch and the rest of the piano is. I was doing it on a yearly schedule and it was always at or under a cent off.

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357