Pianotech

• 1.  Loose pins in a pinblock

Posted 11-28-2022 15:24
    Greetings

I have an old piano with many loose strings that should probably have a new pin block but the cost is out of the question.  I have sometimes used oversized pins.  I have heard of people coating the hole with CA glue.  Has anyone used the thin penetrating epoxy for the same thing?  I'm wondering if this would penetrate more than the CA glue and give a more permanent fix.  If so, what were the results?  Has anyone had experience with the thin metal inserts?  Results?

Thanks in advance
    Tom Brantigan
    Sacramento Chapter

------------------------------
    Thomas Brantigan
    Folsom CA
    (410) 371-1617

• 2.  RE: Loose pins in a pinblock

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 11-28-2022 15:30
    Thomas

I would try thin CA glue right on the tuning pins. You don't need to remove the pins. But I would remove the action first and put a newspaper on the keybed in case any of the CA drips through the block. 

If the CA doesn't tighten the pins enough for them to hold, the block is shot and should be replaced. 

• 3.  RE: Loose pins in a pinblock

Posted 11-28-2022 20:09
    You did not mention if the piano is an upright or grand. If it is an upright you will need to tilt the piano on a tilter. Thin CA is the best material for the job and should be directed to the base of the tuning pin. I do 2 to 3 passes and let it cure over several days although it is possible for it to set in an hour. If the glue comes out of other tuning pins as you are applying it you know the block is cracked. On a grand you can inspect the underside of a block using an iphone in selfie camera mode or with a mirror.
    I would forget the metal inserts since you have to back the pin out, insert the pin and pound the pin back in. Way too much work. Much faster and efficient to use CA thin. Always buy it fresh at a hobby store or mail order. Protect your eyes and skin sue proper ventilation or a VOC respirator CA looks harmless but it is not and will give you a terrible chemical burn

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 4.  RE: Loose pins in a pinblock

Posted 11-28-2022 20:19
    i think it was Susan Kline who mentioned that uprights don't have to be tilted. I think her post was probably 6 or so years ago.

I used to tilt uprights but after reading Susan's post, i tried it on uprights in their standing up position and it works just fine. Just be careful not to add too much at a time. I use gluboost and i like the applicators better than the ones i got from Schaff. Put the applicator on the tuning pin bushing and you can just watch to see if the glue is being absorbed. I think i do 5 to 10 drops and move on.

Peter

Petrus Janssen
    Peachtree City GA
    (678) 416-8055

• 5.  RE: Loose pins in a pinblock

Posted 11-28-2022 22:47
    It is a grand. 

Thanks
    Tom

Tom Brantigan 
    All strange wordings come to you from Siri!

• 6.  RE: Loose pins in a pinblock

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 11-29-2022 07:57
    You only need enough to make it tunable. No need to "fill it up". It is a surprisingly long term fix when applied judiciously and neatly. I use "Insta-flex" from BSI. I prefer the feeling of that to the water thin stuff. Feels more like an actual pinblock. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Loose pins in a pinblock

Posted 11-30-2022 10:52
    I have done many CA glue repairs.  Here are a few tips to share.  Most have already been stated.

1 - ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, remove the action.  Uprights or grands. 

2 - I like to use the parchment paper cooks use on baking sheets to cover the key bed.  It is cheap, stronger than newspaper and easily taped down with blue painters tape.  Also, most glues will not stick to it so it can be reused.  I keep some in my glue kit.

3 - I like to do three passes as well, but with a little twist.  I like to do about 40-50 pins at a time.  If using the quick cure glue I have found it can set up before you get back and apply more glue.  Cured glue will not allow more glue to penetrate down the pin. Do the same 40-50 three times then move to the next set.

4 - I totally agree the bulb style applicators available do not work well.  I take a trip to the pharmacy and get a handful of syringes.  They may ask you why you want them but I have yet to have a problem when I say it is for applying thin glue on projects at work. Generally a 20 gauge about 1.5 inches long.  They are cheap, about 40 cents each, and allow you precisely apply the glue around the pin bushing.  Another nice thing about them is you can lay them down and not worry about the glue coming out.  With a little practice it is easy to control the plunger when applying the glue.  Always depress the plunger and then draw the the glue in having as little head of air as possible.  This prevents the glue from starting to cure.  Simply refill with more glue when needed.

5 - I know it is a lot more work to tilt sn upright piano but I prefer doing it so I know the glue is at least pooling around the pin where it enters the pin block instead of running down the gap between the pin block and the plate. 

6 - I like using the super thin glue from BSI or Mercury.  (I will be trying the other glue from BSI that has been recommended on this thread). I prefer the Mercury as it has less smell.  That being said safety is vital.  Wear safety equipment and use a small 6-8 inch fan blowing across the work area to keep the fumes out of your face.  Note: The moving air does not change the cure time.  Always do it with the best ventilation possible.

Randi Ford 
    Ogden, Utah