Pianotech

• 1.  Low tenor improvements with Paulello wire?

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 12-03-2022 18:08
    As I continue to rebuild my personal Knabe C "concert parlor grand" as they called it, I'm looking into scaling.  In general, I don't care for the dead sound of most pianos in the low tenor and I was looking into Paulello wires in relation to the low tenor specifically to help correct this problem.  What I'm wondering is, can I use Paulello wires in the low tenor to increase the breaking point percentages and use regular wire higher when the strings naturally are within more ideal breaking point parameters?  If so, could I use the same diameter low tenor strings as those that I took off but softer Paulello wire (using Paulello's Typogram)?  I'm not really looking to significantly change the scaling, only the tone of the low tenor, in part because the cost of investment in a full set of Paulello wire is a little steep. 

I apologize if these questions are ignorant, this is new territory for me.

------------------------------
    Tim Foster
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074

• 2.  RE: Low tenor improvements with Paulello wire?

Posted 12-03-2022 18:56
    Tim

While scaling does have some impact on the tone of a piano, and to some extend so does the type of strings being used, most of the time the tone of the piano is a result of the soundboard configuration. If the tone of your piano was weak before you unstrung the piano, chances are that the soundboard and/or the bridge was at fault. 

• 3.  RE: Low tenor improvements with Paulello wire?

Posted 12-03-2022 20:52
    Those of us who have restrung with Paulello wire  generally speak highly of it.
    If you understand the influence of breaking point percentage on the tone, you know why correct use of Paulello wire can significantly improve the tone of the foreshortened area of the scale. 
    The Paulello typogram will enable you to identify the possible improvement.
    I believe you can get much of this benefit as you describe, by replacing the low tenor notes with appropriate wire.
    You might decide later to replace the treble and even bass sections.

Ed Sutton
    ed440@me.com
    (980) 254-7413

• 4.  RE: Low tenor improvements with Paulello wire?

Posted 12-04-2022 00:07
    Your proposal represents hybrid scaling, and I do it routinely. I do not hesitate to use regular stock wire where the typogram indicates type M wire. Look at the whole plain wire scale, including the treble. There might be ground to gain there as well with alternative wire types.

Floyd Gadd RPT
    Regina SK
    (306) 502-9103

• 5.  RE: Low tenor improvements with Paulello wire?

Posted 12-04-2022 08:09
    In a situation where the typogram shows a low percentage of breaking point is to just raise the pitch of the low tension note and listen to the sound.
    At the low end of the plain wire you can raise the pitch by 400 or 500 cents and listen for a more focused sound.
    You could substitute the lower string length higher up in the typogram and see the breaking tension rise at the higher pitch.
    If so, Paulello wire should make a similar improvement.

Ed Sutton
    ed440@me.com
    (980) 254-7413

• 6.  RE: Low tenor improvements with Paulello wire?

Posted 12-05-2022 07:42
    This is the first time I have heard the term typogram. Could someone please elaborate?

Thanks,

Dave Conte, RPT

Resident Technician
    The University of Tennessee
    Knoxville TN
    (817) 307-5656
    Owner: Rocky Top Piano

• 7.  RE: Low tenor improvements with Paulello wire?

Posted 12-05-2022 07:52
    It's basically an excel spreadsheet that allows you to input string lengths and other relevant information to determine the ideal Paulello wire type. 

https://www.stephenpaulello.com/en/typogramme

Tim Foster
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074