Pianotech

• 1.  Mason Hamlin vintage agraffes replacement

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 06-26-2023 12:52

Someone posted awhile ago about replacing vintage MH agraffes with metric to get the odd thread count and size to match.  Was that Mario Igrec maybe? 

If so, I'd appreciate any comments on that process, how well they fit, did you have to retap, what size did you use, any other issues doing it that way? 

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    David Love RPT
    www.davidlovepianos.com
    davidlovepianos@comcast.net
    415 407 8320

• 2.  RE: Mason Hamlin vintage agraffes replacement

Posted 06-26-2023 13:00
    Hi, David,

Thanks for asking about that. The question is timely here, too.

Kind regards.

Horace

Original Message

• 3.  RE: Mason Hamlin vintage agraffes replacement

Posted 07-13-2023 03:43
    Hi all, I just had a similar issue with a MH screw stringer.  I had the agraffes remade by a cnc machinist, not too expensive and worked out great.  I haven't heard of replacing with a metric size, but that may be the quick fix option. Best.  Matt 
    -Matt Crudo, RPT 

• 4.  RE: Mason Hamlin vintage agraffes replacement

Posted 28 days ago

Greetings Matt,

I'm in Maryland and I'm working on a vintage Mason & Hamlin for a church here. Would you be willing to relay information on the CNC machinist rework for the agraffes? I'd gladly work with the same business if they would like to consider doing this again.

I'm thinking this would be to machine a larger metric agraffe down to the unusual diameter and thread pitch of these old agraffes, would this be correct?

Thanks so much. This issue left me wondering how was going to be able to provide new agraffes for this project since I had never encountered it before.

Sincerely,

Tom Wright, RPT

• 5.  RE: Mason Hamlin vintage agraffes replacement

Posted 27 days ago

Isaac Sadigursky posted, maybe a couple of years ago, that you could use one of the current metric sizes that are in production as a substitute for the existing agraffes on a vintage MH and that they would fit.  I haven't tried it but you might and see if that's correct before you launch into a manufacturing project.,   

David Love RPT
    www.davidlovepianos.com
    davidlovepianos@comcast.net
    415 407 8320

• 6.  RE: Mason Hamlin vintage agraffes replacement

Posted 26 days ago
    Hi Tom, sorry for the late reply here, I get a little swamped with work during the week.  I'm happy to share with you the manufacturer of my Agraffes.  

EDWARD KOEHN CO., INC.
    Office: 510-843-0821 x 1
    Cell: 510-316-1392
    www.ekmfg.com

I went with them because they were across the street from our place. To tell the truth, they were just a little slow on the project because I only ordered a hundred.  They usually do much bigger projects. I'm guessing this was a neighborly courtesy. With that said, if you need the same size agraffes as what I ordered from them, I bet you they already have the specs on file for reproduction. I actually gave them one of the originals and they reproduced it. Do you have any pictures of your agraffes.  The  piano I did was a vintage screw stringer.  The agraffes were a different thread count and size than the usual 9/32" agraffes  that you find on Mason and Hamlin pianos.  

Matt

• 7.  RE: Mason Hamlin vintage agraffes replacement

Posted 26 days ago

Thank you Matt, and thank you David.

I am impressed that a machinist made duplicate agraffes.

As you may be aware, Schaff now sells the retrofit tools and materials to drill out the plate, tap, install sleeves, and then install standard 1/4" dia. agraffes. Pianotek had this system for sale and there is a short video on the process available as well. I think that I will go this route because then if an agraffe ever needs replacing, a new agraffe will be more likely available.

Thanks again for the replies. I extremely grateful for this technical resource we have within the PTG.

Sincerely,

Tom Wright, RPT

• 8.  RE: Mason Hamlin vintage agraffes replacement

Posted 25 days ago
    Sounds good.  That is a pretty straight forward repair. I've done it a few times. I think Nick Gravagne has a video on how he likes to do that too in case you'd like more info. Best,  Matt

• 9.  RE: Mason Hamlin vintage agraffes replacement

Posted 25 days ago
    Thanks Matt!
    Tom Wright, RPT
    1-240-383-9345