Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

Metric measurements

• 1.  Metric measurements

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 03-08-2024 07:59

Americans commonly use Imperial measurements for things like string diameters and aftertouch. Since the rest of the world seems to use the metric system, how do they measure and express aftertouch, only to 0.1mm?

When teaching aftertouch, I usually demonstrate the tactile difference between 0.30", 0.40", and .060". The metric conversion would make the range difference of only about 0.75mm. I suspect they have a different range they work with than we do because how the conversions work out.

How do European piano technicians measure and express grand aftertouch? What tools do they commonly use and what ranges do they work within?

------------------------------
    John Parham, RPT
    Hickory, NC
    828-244-2487
    john440@me.com

• 2.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-08-2024 08:07

My experience at both Bosendorfer and Bechstein is that the metric system is easier to use.  Beyond basic measurements aftertouch is largely a matter of feel

which comes after regulating hundreds and thousands of actions.  Part wear must be corrected for but this is not an issue in new manufacture.

Parker Leigh RPT
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 3.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-08-2024 09:31

I cannot speak to what native users of the metric do to express aftertouch in numbers. I use the metric system for virtually everything EXCEPT for string and center pin diameters (the sizes of which vary by .001"), and key pin sizes. In these areas, I find the increment of .001" more handy than .1 mm--which is a skosh less than .004" of an inch.

I agree with Parker that, at the end of the day, after touch is a matter of feel. For example, the setting of drop, to use a notion conjured by the late, great David Andersen, "sculpts" the perception of the moment of let-off, and therefore, the perception of after touch. And if a front rail bushing is a bit on the tight side, there seems to be less after touch. In both of these instances, the measured amount of aftertouch would be same, but the feel/perceived amount would be different.

Alan

Alan Eder, RPT
    Herb Alpert School of Music
    California Institute of the Arts
    Valencia, CA

• 4.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-08-2024 11:11
    Thank you both for your feedback. The Piano Technicians Playground has an aftertouch station, and we use empirical to quantify different feels. It now has an opportunity travel across the big pond, and we’re trying to modify it to fold neatly into the way the Europeans talk about, teach, and quantify after touch.

Thank you again for your input. It’s invaluable.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-08-2024 11:51

One way to approach this hasn't been mentioned: the thicknesses of the paper punchings in use in Metric lands. Surely someone can answer this. If they use our punchngs, then they must use thousandths of inches in aftertouch adjustments. What thicknesses are there in European paper?

| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||
    Jason Kanter
    Lynnwood WA
    (425) 830-1561

• 6.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-08-2024 12:03
    That was my other question I to post.

Whatever information I find out I’ll report back.

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-08-2024 16:35
    Jahn Piano Supply sells metric punchings, including paper punchings 0.1mm and 0.2mm. 

Potter's The Piano Action Handbook has all metric measurements for European pianos it looks like. The footnotes about aftertouch are in both metric and decimal.

On page 173 of Marios Ingress's Pianos Inside Out he mentions aftertouch values of 0.030" to 0.060" as 0.8 to 1.5mm. So far, I am not seeing more than 1 decimal place in metric readings... that seems to answer one of my questions.

I reached out to David Reed with Kawai. Next week he'll be at the Atlanta GA chapter meeting. Bill Davis will get more information from him about the mechanics of how the rest of the world sets and measures aftertouch.

Jp

• 8.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-08-2024 18:55
    I've never seen dimensions carried to more than 1 point behind the decimal. Key dip might be specified at 10.1 or 10.2 (or whatever), but never 10.15. 

In laying out a scale I've never used anything beyond a tenth of a millimeter. 

Anecdotally, the best piano engineer I've ever worked with, Bob Ferris of Baldwin, used to tell me that, other than for things like wire, centerpins, etc., there was nothing in the piano that demanded more accuracy than the width of a pencil lead. The mechanical pencils we used were 0.5 mm in diameter. 

ddf

• 9.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-08-2024 21:55
    Thank you, Del. That’s helpful. I’ll keep in mind 0.5mm.

Jp

• 10.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-09-2024 01:47
    I appreciate all this feedback too. I wholly agree with aftertouch being a “feeling” more than a measurement. Parts wearing differently will have a different feel in aftertouch. I would consider actual key dip and weighted aftertouch jigs secondary to what your fingers sense. A go-no-go aftertouch gauge is extremely helpful here. That can be measured to help guide the “dark and lonely” pathway, but still is a guide.

Versatility is good for our brains, but I think the metric system simplifies things greatly.

Imagine discussing touchweight in ozs/lbs!

Joe

• 11.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-11-2024 09:39

This is becoming more and more important as we Americans sluggishly and begrudgingly migrate toward metric.

The one specification that .1mm = .04" will not suffice is key level. Humans can easily detect this thickness when

comparing adjacent items (such as piano natural keys). The Exploratorium in San Francisco (a hands-on science

museum) had an exhibit that specifically examined touch sensitivity and proved this hypothesis. How do people who

deal with a metric standard go about getting precise key level with a tolerance as large as .1mm/.04"? I can certainly feel and 

see this much in adjacent natural keys. I know the answer is by a combination of thicknesses, and pose this only for consideration

and reflection. 

DC

Dave Conte, RPT

Piano Technician in Residence
    The University of Tennessee
    College of Music
    Knoxville TN
    (817) 307-5656
    Owner: Rocky Top Piano

• 12.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-11-2024 09:47
    This is a little of the subject, but in response to Dave's comment, "as we Americans sluggishly and begrudgingly migrate toward metric", when I was in high school (class of '63"), in my debate class I argued that America should adopt the metric system. It went over like a dead balloon. I mentioned it because it might take another 60 years before Americans will finally understand how easy the metric system is. lol

Wim

• 13.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-11-2024 12:15
    It would be interesting to find out what tolerance Europeans use for key level compared to its neighbors.

When working with 0.1mm, they would use 0.1mm punchings, which are readily available from Jahn. Beyond that, however, I do not know how they deal with smaller tolerances.

One of the many things about which I am curious these days!

Jp

Sent from my iPhone

• 14.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-12-2024 02:18

Does anyone actually measure the height of keys? I don't, and never have. One sets the height of the end keys and levels those in the middle by sight and by feel. 

Nor do we actually measure the key travel. How can one, given that there is a soft landing and total key travel is a function of how much force one is using to depress it. Key travel is generally measured by touch, by feel. 

To be sure different technicians have different methods of accomplishing both of these but I don't recall seeing anyone ever trying to set either of them using either the Imperial or the metric measuring system. Actual measures are a guide, sight and feel are the final arbiters. 

ddf

[Delwin D] Fandrich] [RPT]
    [Piano Design & Manufacturing Consultant]
    [Fandrich Piano Co., Inc.]
    [Olympia] [WA]
    [360-515-0119]

• 15.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-13-2024 01:08

I have been assuming that key height is determined by the fallboard.  Dip is then taken off key height and everything else is regulated off of that.

Blaine Hebert RPT
    Duarte CA
    (626) 390-0512

• 16.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-13-2024 08:16
    I’m sure that in a factory setting, workers set parts to spec using metric quite often. We have less need for things like setting exact key height to a certain spec, though the technical exam does have metric equivalents for the regulation parts.

I’m still curious about dip. Most likely, no one uses units of measure more fine that 0.1mm. Perhaps most techs outside the U.S. refer to dip generically as shallow, medium, and deep?

Jp

• 17.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-13-2024 08:33
    Hey, John. Great to hear from you and get your take on this. 

As you know, there are published specifications for many regulation points.
    The case parts are kind of a go-no-go gauge. 
    Some manufacturers actually publish their specs. Steinway for example is 2 19/32 to the bottom of the key lip. Baldwin was 2 9/16 to the top of the naturals. I remember that Yamaha has a spec but can't recall what it actually was. All that really matters is if we get close and uniform and that things work the best they can. 

But maybe I am being too deep - or maybe I am just a shallow individual...?
    Should we consult a medium?

• 18.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-13-2024 09:30

I can assure you that in the Bechstein and Bosendorfer factories that key height and key dip are set to metric specs.  It is in final regulation that

aftertouch is set.  Punches are roughly the same thicknesses as us.   After touch is set on naturals using a dip block and then on sharps

by feel.

Parker Leigh RPT
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 19.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-13-2024 10:44

Parker went: "After touch is set on naturals using a dip block and then on sharps"

Hi Parker, You're probably referring to WN&G's massive block of brass, which takes over the technician's judgement by feel. This will work for aftertouch. If not, a point needs to be made about the usual dip block we all knew before WNG's. 

A dip block is a fixed dimension (regardless of the dimension we choose for it). Anyone who sets the keystroke not by dip, but by aftertouch, immediately notices that once the two determinants of aftertouch (blow and LO) are set at fixed amounts, the FR punchings used are different on every key. This remains true even if one were to put in a constant dip and then set aftertouch. Dip and aftertouch are two separate measurements. Aftertouch is directly related to the minute key-to-key variations on action ratio naturally occurring when you start measuring keystroke in increments under ~20mils.

There is no way to measure these variations in advance, and thus predict what each key's dip should be to deliver a specified aftertouch. All we can do is measure aftertouch directly and correct it there. (Anyone with experience in this can tell you it's far easier to do on the naturals than the sharps, but they all have to be done individually.)

William Ballard RPT
    WBPS
    Saxtons River VT
    802-869-9107

"Our lives contain a thousand springs
    and dies if one be gone
    Strange that a harp of a thousand strings
    should keep in tune so long."
    ...........Dr. Watts, "The Continental Harmony,1774

• 20.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-14-2024 14:47

It's refreshing to see this reminder from Del that rulers don't rerally have much value when setting up a piano.

David Patterson RPT
    Richmond Hill ON
    (416) 638-0901

• 21.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-15-2024 13:04
    I set the key height by how much pin is in the key. Then I check the keyslip to see that it looks right. 
    I do measure some things to see that it's the same across the stack. Sometimes the wippen rail is loose and it moves with climate. Knowing the average center pin to center pin measurement is helpful

• 22.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-08-2024 12:46

Alan went:I use the metric system for virtually everything EXCEPT for string and center pin diameters (the sizes of which vary by .001"), and key pin sizes. In these areas, I find the increment of .001" more handy than .1 mm--which is a skosh less than .004" of an inch.

The metric system always claimed two advantages: 1.) it was the nearly world-wide standard, and 2.) it was decimal (making arithmetic much easier). By the 1980s, when an increasing majority of piano techs were going metric, I had discovered English decimal (R16 increments - 32ds/64ths on one side, 50ths/100ths on the other) and never looked back. (Nowadays, digital measuring devices make instant conversions in one button-click). I used to be able to read 16R without glasses, but now I need them to read my own writing.
    The late, revered LaRoy convinced me of the primacy of after touch. If because of minute differences of action ratio, one note wants 10 more mils keystroke than its neighbor, the pianists' trained figures will notice 10 mils error in aftertouch (out of a conventional 50 mils) with a constant dip setting much faster, than a 10 mil dip error (out of a conventional .390 dip).

Setting aftertouch directly is a matter of feel, basically how much pressure it takes to squish a front rail felt punching through LO, with a "stand-in" 50 mil cardboard under the felt punching. I set a reference note (arbitrarily, the lowest natural in the tenor), and if I suspect I've lost the feeling of that "squish", I can refer to that first note.

And yes, setting aftertouch directly is a dark lonely job (especially for the sharps), but someone's got to do it. 

William Ballard RPT
    WBPS
    Saxtons River VT
    802-869-9107

"Our lives contain a thousand springs
    and dies if one be gone
    Strange that a harp of a thousand strings
    should keep in tune so long."
    ...........Dr. Watts, "The Continental Harmony,1774

• 23.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-11-2024 09:55

I totally agree with Bill, aftertouch priority, as taught by Chris Robinson long ago, has been my standard method ever since, and the pianists really respond to a level of evenness that I couldn't provide with a standard key-dip as my norm.  What I have also found in setting dip by aftertouch is the importance of a consistent 'stack' of punchings. It boggles my mind that our "Standard Piano Of the World" so often has a dozen or more blue punchings under the front of the key on one note, and one or two on top of a couple of thick cardboard ones on the next. Setting by aftertouch puts the technician's tactile sensitivity in the forefront and having a consistent stack is a large factor in how the compression is registered. We were taught at NBSS (Garlick-Betts) that we should use the least number possible of front rail punchings, and though I didn't learn the aftertouch priority method there, the use of mostly thick cardboard to get as close to .390" improves the consistency of my dip settings. 

Regards, 

Ed Foote RPT

• 24.  RE: Metric measurements

Posted 03-09-2024 07:55

The Playground Aftertouch Station, a modified one key model, was designed to help beginners understand the adjustments that define aftertouch, and to give them the opportunity to feel "shallow," "medium," and "deep" aftertouch. The precise numbers were the thicknesses of the available plastic sheets used to make the gauges. The numbers as such are perhaps not so important. Consideration could be given to relabeling the gauges "Shallow," "Medium," and "Deep."

Ed Sutton
    ed440@me.com
    (980) 254-7413