Pianotech

• 1.  M&H Ampico player

Posted 03-15-2023 11:23
      |   view attached

I have a new client that has a 1928 M&H A with an Ampico player system.  The 3 vacuum hoses are shot.  Is there a supply source for these? I also need to remove the action to recover one ivory head and I'm always hesitant to remove player actions without knowing my risks.  Any advice from the more experienced members?

------------------------------
    Les Koltvedt
    Marietta GA
    lkpianos@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: M&H Ampico player

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 03-15-2023 11:36

Contact John Tuttle at
       https://www.player-care.com/

John Rhodes
    Vancouver WA
    (360) 721-0728
    jrhodes@pacifier.com

• 3.  RE: M&H Ampico player

Posted 03-15-2023 15:47

Why do you need to remove the action to recover an ivory head ? you should be able to glue it in place after scraping off old glue residue make sure there is a white backgound such as a white glue wafer or them keystick is painted with a titanium white oil color. you can use white keytop cement , some painters tape or some weights to keep the keytop from curling You can try Louis Gentile in Boston for player tubing. Schaff supply has some player supplies

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 4.  RE: M&H Ampico player

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 03-16-2023 02:11
    Les,
      Fortunately most Ampico installations allow one to  R&R the action just as in a non-player. I'm not certain what you mean when you say that three vacuum hoses need replacing, but yes, Player-Care.com has all sorts of sizes of hoses, and even some twill wrapped ones.  Player hoses have become rather expensive due to their small  quantities of production. a 1928 is likely to be an "A" model, although it may have some "B: parts in it.  If the tempo adjustment is a slide control, then it's an "A" but if it is a dial, then it's a "B" – this is somewhat of a generalization! The production variations in that exact time period are many, and far more than I would get into here, plus I would defer to those more knowledgeable about them!
    David Dewey

• 5.  RE: M&H Ampico player

Posted 03-16-2023 06:35

Thank you everyone …y'all are a worthy source of knowledge 😊

Les Koltvedt
    Marietta GA
    lkpianos@gmail.com