Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

My latest SNAP attempt

• 1.  My latest SNAP attempt

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 02-20-2024 13:26

I have a 1970s Grotrian with not-original hammer heads. A pianist I am trying to please says it feels heavy. Sample notes show balance weight of 43, 44, and 40. Friction for these notes is 15, 14, and 12. There is very little lead in the keys.

I attempted a Stanwood New Action Protocol test. I added front weight on C4 to get it up to 27 grams, reducing its BW to 32. Strike weight was 10.1. I had to increase SW to 11.1 to get a BW of 38.

Having a C4 strike weight of 11.1 would make for a pretty heavy strike weight curve. Am I to conclude from this test that I should add weight to the hammers and then add weight to the keys to compensate and that will give me a medium inertial playing quality?

Am I missing something here?

------------------------------
    John Pope
    University of Kentucky School of Music
    Lexington, KY

• 2.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-20-2024 15:24

Hi John,

Back a little...   Your close to  having a kind of definition of what your client feels is a heavy action.  Quoting from my PTJournal article SNap Method part I :  "Specific combinations of front weight and balance weight are associated with particular inertial playing qualities" .   So you client says the action is heavy but you only have balance weight data for three sample notes. What are the front weights for those notes?  Please report.  

The solution will be reducing hammer weight and or ratio because BW + FW is an expression of Strike Weight times Ratio.

Also a 15 and 14 friction in the middle of the keyboard is a little high.  What's the cause of that?  Key easing?  Hammer Flange friction too high?  More investigation needed to establish the reason(s) for the percieved heaviness.   

Does this action have wippen assist springs?  If so you need to measure balance weight with them detached if you want to make sense of BW + FW.

David Stanwood
    stanwoodpiano.com
    stanwood@tiac.net
    508-693-1583

• 3.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-20-2024 16:25

Thank you David.

My 3 sample notes: F3 BW 40.5, FW 29.4

C4 BW 43, FW 25.6

F4 BW 44.5, FW 23.4

And yes the front bushings are a bit tight. I can ease away some friction. Oddly, (to me) all notes in the piano have lead in both ends of the key, both sides of the balance rail. 

John Pope
    Lexington, KY

• 4.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-20-2024 18:25
    Thank you for the updata.

So taking C4.  The front weight is very close to the medium benchmark of 27g.  The balance weight is high at 43.  The medium benchmark is 38.  If you go to the table in my most recent article, Snap Part II, the selection guide table may be used to make a qualitative judgment about the touch quality to expect from a range of BW/FW pairings.   In your case, (assuming your Wippen Balance Weight is close to 9g), the BW43 cell in the FW#7 column yields a rating of in the middle of the Firm/High inertial playing quality zone.  

So the SNAP solution is to lighten the action by finding a lighter hammer/strike weight and/or lowering of the leverage that brings the BW down to a lower level.  A 38 balance weight will give a rating in the middle of the medium inertial playing quality zone.  With a 12 friction in the center of the keyboard your D/U will be 50/26.  You could go lower to 35 as well to bring the inertial playing quality into the light zone as well with a D/U of 47/23  

You'll have to consider your alternatives for a lower hammer weight scale.  If new light hammers is the choice, remember that lighter hammers need softer felt than heavier hammers for a beautiful natural voicing quality.  If the hammer weight solution is too low, you can help meet the need by combining with a leverage shift.   The most expedient possibility is an off-center balance rail pivot.   You can carefully hide glue the cloth balance rail punchings to the bottom of the key then cut off the front side of the punching to shift the key pivot point back as  needed,  as far as the back edge of the hole.  A more transparent approach is to glue a thin piece of veneer onto the balance rail under the punching stack up against the back of the balance rail pins.  This won't work if the balance rail bevel on the undercuts the balance rail punching stack on either side.   And of course you can always move the capstan/heel line distally.  Regulation will dictate how far you can take shorter blow and deeper dip.  Sometimes tweeting center pin elevations and action spread can improve things in that department.

David Stanwood
    stanwoodpiano.com
    stanwood@tiac.net
    508-693-1583

• 5.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-20-2024 19:23

Interesting case.  Thanks always for sharing these great touchweight analysis tools with everyone David.

Just thinking...If this grand action was said to have key lead on both sides of the balance point on "all notes," and the described inertial playing quality is too firm/heavy, wouldn't it also be of immediate benefit to remove that lead from the rear portion of the keysticks, except where possibly reasonable in the upper high treble?  

Adrian Carcione RPT
    Eureka CA
    (805) 823-3231

• 6.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-20-2024 19:50

Thank you Adrian for bringing this up.  Now I understand what John was saying about there being a lot of lead in the keys.  His C4 Front Weight is normal but there are leads in that back of the key too.  So that adds up to a lot of leads.  By all means remove the back leads, fill the holes with material of a similar density to the keystick stock and rebalance the front weights with weights on the front!

David Stanwood
    stanwoodpiano.com
    stanwood@tiac.net
    508-693-1583

• 7.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-20-2024 20:09
    Hello,

Appreciating what has passed before, in his original post, Mr. Pope wrote:

"I have a 1970s Grotrian with not-original hammer heads. A pianist I am
    trying to please says it feels heavy."

For me, there are a couple of alarm bells that go off before we start
    measuring much of anything else.

If the hammers are not "original" Grotrian hammers...as in from
    Grotrian, not some third party supplier...then any other analysis has to
    be cast in the light that the currently installed hammers may simply be
    of the wrong type, density, &c for the current installation. Were the
    "new" hammers installed on original S&F? What does an inspection of the
    keys reveal (if anything) about if/when leads might have been added that
    might not have been factory-installed? &c.

While I certainly support all of the other analysis and advice that's
    been offered, it doesn't seem like there is some basic information that
    would help achieve a useful diagnosis. Basically, if the hammer is
    incorrect to begin with, then, however carefully we measure
    everything/anything else, the inertia of the action will not be correct
    no matter what we might choose to do.

This would seem to be especially true for a boutique instrument that is
    now roughly 50 years old.

Kind regards.

Horace

On 2/20/2024 4:50 PM, David Stanwood via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    > Thank you Adrian for bringing this up. Now I understand what John was saying about there being a lot of lead in the keys. His C4 Front Weight is normal but there are leads in that back of the key too. So that adds up to a lot of leads. By all means remove the back leads, fill the holes with material of a similar density to the keystick stock and rebalance the front weights with weights on the front!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > David Stanwood
    > stanwoodpiano.com
    > stanwood@tiac.net
    > 508-693-1583
    > -------------------------------------------
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-20-2024 19:22
    > From: Adrian Carcione
    > Subject: My latest SNAP attempt
    >
    >
    > Interesting case. Thanks always for sharing these great touchweight analysis tools with everyone David.
    >
    > Just thinking...If this grand action was said to have key lead on both sides of the balance point on "all notes," and the described inertial playing quality is too firm/heavy, wouldn't it also be of immediate benefit to remove that lead from the rear portion of the keysticks, except where possibly reasonable in the upper high treble?
    >
    >
    > Adrian Carcione RPT
    > Eureka CA
    > (805) 823-3231
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-20-2024 18:24
    > From: David Stanwood
    >
    > Thank you for the updata. So taking C4. The front weight is very close to the medium benchmark of 27g. The balance weight is high at 43. The medium benchmark is 38. If you go to the table in my most recent article, Snap Part II, the selection guide table may be used to make a qualitative judgment about the touch quality to expect from a range of BW/FW pairings. In your case, (assuming your Wippen Balance Weight is close to 9g), the BW43 cell in the FW#7 column yields a rating of in the middle of the Firm/High inertial playing quality zone. So the SNAP solution is to lighten the action by finding a lighter hammer/strike weight and/or lowering of the leverage that brings the BW down to a lower level. A 38 balance weight will give a rating in the middle of the medium inertial playing quality zone. With a 12 friction in the center of the keyboard your D/U will be 50/26. You could go lower to 35 as well to bring the inertial playing quality into the light zone as wel!
    l with a
    > D/U of 47/23 You'll have to consider your alternatives for a lower hammer weight scale. If new light hammers is the choice, remember that lighter hammers need softer felt than heavier hammers for a beautiful natural voicing quality. If the hammer weight solution is too low, you can help meet the need by combining with a leverage shift. The most expedient possibility is an off-center balance rail pivot. You can carefully hide glue the cloth balance rail punchings to the bottom of the key then cut off the front side of the punching to shift the key pivot point back as needed, as far as the back edge of the hole. A more transparent approach is to glue a thin piece of veneer onto the balance rail under the punching stack up against the back of the balance rail pins. This won't work if the balance rail bevel on the undercuts the balance rail punching stack on either side. And of course you can always move the capstan/heel line distally. Regulation will dictate !
    how far you
    > can take shorter blow and deeper dip. Sometimes tweeting center pin elevations and action spread can improve things in that department.
    >
    > David Stanwood
    > stanwoodpiano.com
    > stanwood@tiac.net <stanwood@tiac.net>
    > 508-693-1583
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-20-2024 16:25
    > From: John Pope
    >
    >
    > Thank you David.
    >
    > My 3 sample notes: F3 BW 40.5, FW 29.4
    >
    > C4 BW 43, FW 25.6
    >
    > F4 BW 44.5, FW 23.4
    >
    > And yes the front bushings are a bit tight. I can ease away some friction. Oddly, (to me) all notes in the piano have lead in both ends of the key, both sides of the balance rail.
    >
    >
    > John Pope
    > University of Kentucky School of Music
    > Lexington, KY
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-20-2024 15:23
    >
    >
    > Hi John,
    >
    > Back a little... Your close to having a kind of definition of what your client feels is a heavy action. Quoting from my PTJournal article SNap Method part I : "Specific combinations of front weight and balance weight are associated with particular inertial playing qualities" . So you client says the action is heavy but you only have balance weight data for three sample notes. What are the front weights for those notes? Please report.
    >
    > The solution will be reducing hammer weight and or ratio because BW + FW is an expression of Strike Weight times Ratio.
    >
    > Also a 15 and 14 friction in the middle of the keyboard is a little high. What's the cause of that? Key easing? Hammer Flange friction too high? More investigation needed to establish the reason(s) for the percieved heaviness.
    >
    > Does this action have wippen assist springs? If so you need to measure balance weight with them detached if you want to make sense of BS + FW.
    >
    >
    > David Stanwood
    > stanwoodpiano.com
    > 508-693-1583
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-20-2024 13:25
    >
    > I have a 1970s Grotrian with not-original hammer heads. A pianist I am trying to please says it feels heavy. Sample notes show balance weight of 43, 44, and 40. Friction for these notes is 15, 14, and 12. There is very little lead in the keys.
    > I attempted a Stanwood New Action Protocol test. I added front weight on C4 to get it up to 27 grams, reducing its BW to 32. Strike weight was 10.1. I had to increase SW to 11.1 to get a BW of 38.
    > Having a C4 strike weight of 11.1 would make for a pretty heavy strike weight curve. Am I to conclude from this test that I should add weight to the hammers and then add weight to the keys to compensate and that will give me a medium inertial playing quality?
    > Am I missing something here?
    >
    >
    > John Pope
    > Lexington, KY
    >
    >
    > Reply to Sender : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=773110&SenderKey=18028196-008a-421f-9964-a7d4faa1e37b
    >
    > Reply to Discussion : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=773110
    >
    >
    >
    > You are subscribed to "Pianotech" as horacegreeleypiano@sonic.net. To change your subscriptions, go to http://my.ptg.org/preferences?section=Subscriptions. To unsubscribe from this community discussion, go to http://my.ptg.org/HigherLogic/eGroups/Unsubscribe.aspx?UserKey=18d8c323-aa1d-4526-8bf1-a6805870cbe6&sKey=KeyRemoved&GroupKey=2bb4ebe8-4dba-4640-ae67-111903beaddf.
    >

• 8.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-20-2024 20:53
    Hello Horace,    Thanks for your input.   
    Two comments on:   "What does an inspection of the keys reveal (if anything) about if/when leads might have been added that might not have been factory-installed?"    

I have a little data on that.   The first piano that brought me to Europe in 1997was a late model Grotrian concert grand at the Schaffhausen Conservatorium in Switzerland.   Many Many of the factory weighted keys had two large leads in the middle of the back side of the keys in additional to an ample supply in the front.   It simply makes the inertia of the keys much higher than need be and the pianist will feel and notice this and not neccessarily appreciate it...

and: "Basically, if the hammer is incorrect to begin with, then, however carefully we measure
    everything/anything else, the inertia of the action will not be correct no matter what we might choose to do."

Absolutely correct, however I change "hammer" to "hammer weight"   

Respectfully 

David Stanwood
    stanwoodpiano.com
    stanwood@tiac.net
    508-693-1583

• 9.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-20-2024 21:50
    Hi, David,

Understood; and, basically, agreed.

Over the years, I've had several dozen Grotians from different periods
    of manufacture under my care. When this started happening, a long time
    ago now, I was privileged to spend some time with Leonard Jared, who
    understood those instruments better than anyone else I've encountered.
    While this absolutely does not make me a Grotrian "expert", it does mean
    that I've seen a few.

One thing that I have noticed is that, among the other idiosyncratic
    things that Grotrian does, is key leading. I agree with your assessment
    that the way in which they approach this is eccentric to many. At the
    same time, Grotrian doesn't seem to have any trouble selling however
    many pianos they choose to make. So, their approach must work, for at
    least some pianists.

In terms of inertia, one consistent problem that I find is that so much
    is done to reduce inertia, as if, inertia were to be, in and of itself,
    a Bad Thing, to the point that actions simply run away from those trying
    to play them. Does that approach work for some pianists? Yes. Does it
    work for all pianists? Not in my experience.

That experience reinforces my approach of working to figure out what a
    given instrument was like by design, as well as by manufacture; then to
    try to find a balance between those two that allow the greatest
    transparency of operation for the action regulation, tuning; and voicing
    for whoever is going to play it. This may mean different things for
    different pianos.

It's easy for those of us in the field to forget that, by and large,
    piano manfacturers are simply that, manufacturers. To the extent that
    we choose to do so, some of us are involved in custom work. This is not
    the same thing as manufacture; and, it would seem to carry the greater
    burden of making sure that decisions that we make are well-grounded.

In this case, if the "new(er)" hammers are not actually from Grotrian,
    then, all bets are off. The same would be true for any maker still in
    business who still provides their own hammers, or, who strongly
    recommend certain types and/or brands of hammers. This is less true for
    pianos from piano makers who are no longer business. In re: such
    instruments, we are incredibly fortunate to have reasonably competent
    replacement hammers available that more closely replicate those from a
    century ago than what was generally available until fairly recently.

Finally, I do disagree with your change from "hammer" to "hammer
    weight". There is more to it than mass. Sadly, that's all that folks
    seem to be concentrating on these days.

Kind regards.

Horace

On 2/20/2024 5:52 PM, David Stanwood via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    > Hello Horace, Thanks for your input.
    >
    > Two comments on: "What does an inspection of the keys reveal (if anything) about if/when leads might have been added that might not have been factory-installed?"
    >
    > I have a little data on that. The first piano that brought me to Europe in 1997was a late model Grotrian concert grand at the Schaffhausen Conservatorium in Switzerland. Many Many of the factory weighted keys had two large leads in the middle of the back side of the keys in additional to an ample supply in the front. It simply makes the inertia of the keys much higher than need be and the pianist will feel and notice this and not neccessarily appreciate it...
    >
    > and: "Basically, if the hammer is incorrect to begin with, then, however carefully we measure
    > everything/anything else, the inertia of the action will not be correct no matter what we might choose to do."
    >
    > Absolutely correct, however I change "hammer" to "hammer weight"
    >
    > Respectfully
    >
    > David Stanwood
    > stanwoodpiano.com
    > stanwood@tiac.net
    > 508-693-1583
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-20-2024 20:08
    > From: Horace Greeley
    >
    > Hello,
    >
    > Appreciating what has passed before, in his original post, Mr. Pope wrote:
    >
    > "I have a 1970s Grotrian with not-original hammer heads. A pianist I am
    > trying to please says it feels heavy."
    >
    > For me, there are a couple of alarm bells that go off before we start
    > measuring much of anything else.
    >
    > If the hammers are not "original" Grotrian hammers...as in from
    > Grotrian, not some third party supplier...then any other analysis has to
    > be cast in the light that the currently installed hammers may simply be
    > of the wrong type, density, &c for the current installation. Were the
    > "new" hammers installed on original S&F? What does an inspection of the
    > keys reveal (if anything) about if/when leads might have been added that
    > might not have been factory-installed? &c.
    >
    > While I certainly support all of the other analysis and advice that's
    > been offered, it doesn't seem like there is some basic information that
    > would help achieve a useful diagnosis. Basically, if the hammer is
    > incorrect to begin with, then, however carefully we measure
    > everything/anything else, the inertia of the action will not be correct
    > no matter what we might choose to do.
    >
    > This would seem to be especially true for a boutique instrument that is
    > now roughly 50 years old.
    >
    > Kind regards.
    >
    > Horace
    >
    > On 2/20/2024 4:50 PM, David Stanwood via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    >> Thank you Adrian for bringing this up. Now I understand what John was saying about there being a lot of lead in the keys. His C4 Front Weight is normal but there are leads in that back of the key too. So that adds up to a lot of leads. By all means remove the back leads, fill the holes with material of a similar density to the keystick stock and rebalance the front weights with weights on the front!
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> ------------------------------
    >> David Stanwood
    >> stanwoodpiano.com
    >> stanwood@tiac.net <stanwood@tiac.net>
    >> 508-693-1583
    >> -------------------------------------------
    >> Original Message:
    >> Sent: 02-20-2024 19:22
    >> From: Adrian Carcione
    >> Subject: My latest SNAP attempt
    >>
    >>
    >> Interesting case. Thanks always for sharing these great touchweight analysis tools with everyone David.
    >>
    >> Just thinking...If this grand action was said to have key lead on both sides of the balance point on "all notes," and the described inertial playing quality is too firm/heavy, wouldn't it also be of immediate benefit to remove that lead from the rear portion of the keysticks, except where possibly reasonable in the upper high treble?
    >>
    >>
    >> Adrian Carcione RPT
    >> Eureka CA
    >> (805) 823-3231
    >>
    >> Original Message:
    >> Sent: 02-20-2024 18:24
    >> From: David Stanwood
    >>
    >> Thank you for the updata. So taking C4. The front weight is very close to the medium benchmark of 27g. The balance weight is high at 43. The medium benchmark is 38. If you go to the table in my most recent article, Snap Part II, the selection guide table may be used to make a qualitative judgment about the touch quality to expect from a range of BW/FW pairings. In your case, (assuming your Wippen Balance Weight is close to 9g), the BW43 cell in the FW#7 column yields a rating of in the middle of the Firm/High inertial playing quality zone. So the SNAP solution is to lighten the action by finding a lighter hammer/strike weight and/or lowering of the leverage that brings the BW down to a lower level. A 38 balance weight will give a rating in the middle of the medium inertial playing quality zone. With a 12 friction in the center of the keyboard your D/U will be 50/26. You could go lower to 35 as well to bring the inertial playing quality into the light zone as we!
    l!
    > l with a
    >> D/U of 47/23 You'll have to consider your alternatives for a lower hammer weight scale. If new light hammers is the choice, remember that lighter hammers need softer felt than heavier hammers for a beautiful natural voicing quality. If the hammer weight solution is too low, you can help meet the need by combining with a leverage shift. The most expedient possibility is an off-center balance rail pivot. You can carefully hide glue the cloth balance rail punchings to the bottom of the key then cut off the front side of the punching to shift the key pivot point back as needed, as far as the back edge of the hole. A more transparent approach is to glue a thin piece of veneer onto the balance rail under the punching stack up against the back of the balance rail pins. This won't work if the balance rail bevel on the undercuts the balance rail punching stack on either side. And of course you can always move the capstan/heel line distally. Regulation will dictat!
    e !
    > how far you
    >> can take shorter blow and deeper dip. Sometimes tweeting center pin elevations and action spread can improve things in that department.
    >>
    >> David Stanwood
    >> stanwoodpiano.com
    >> stanwood@tiac.net <stanwood@tiac.net> <stanwood@tiac.net></stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>>
    >> 508-693-1583
    >>
    >> Original Message:
    >> Sent: 02-20-2024 16:25
    >> From: John Pope
    >>
    >>
    >> Thank you David.
    >>
    >> My 3 sample notes: F3 BW 40.5, FW 29.4
    >>
    >> C4 BW 43, FW 25.6
    >>
    >> F4 BW 44.5, FW 23.4
    >>
    >> And yes the front bushings are a bit tight. I can ease away some friction. Oddly, (to me) all notes in the piano have lead in both ends of the key, both sides of the balance rail.
    >>
    >>
    >> John Pope
    >> University of Kentucky School of Music
    >> Lexington, KY
    >>
    >> Original Message:
    >> Sent: 02-20-2024 15:23
    >> From: David Stanwood
    >>
    >>
    >> Hi John,
    >>
    >> Back a little... Your close to having a kind of definition of what your client feels is a heavy action. Quoting from my PTJournal article SNap Method part I : "Specific combinations of front weight and balance weight are associated with particular inertial playing qualities" . So you client says the action is heavy but you only have balance weight data for three sample notes. What are the front weights for those notes? Please report.
    >>
    >> The solution will be reducing hammer weight and or ratio because BW + FW is an expression of Strike Weight times Ratio.
    >>
    >> Also a 15 and 14 friction in the middle of the keyboard is a little high. What's the cause of that? Key easing? Hammer Flange friction too high? More investigation needed to establish the reason(s) for the percieved heaviness.
    >>
    >> Does this action have wippen assist springs? If so you need to measure balance weight with them detached if you want to make sense of BS + FW.
    >>
    >>
    >> David Stanwood
    >> stanwoodpiano.com
    >> stanwood@tiac.net <stanwood@tiac.net> <stanwood@tiac.net></stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>>
    >> 508-693-1583
    >>
    >> Original Message:
    >> Sent: 02-20-2024 13:25
    >> From: John Pope
    >>
    >> I have a 1970s Grotrian with not-original hammer heads. A pianist I am trying to please says it feels heavy. Sample notes show balance weight of 43, 44, and 40. Friction for these notes is 15, 14, and 12. There is very little lead in the keys.
    >> I attempted a Stanwood New Action Protocol test. I added front weight on C4 to get it up to 27 grams, reducing its BW to 32. Strike weight was 10.1. I had to increase SW to 11.1 to get a BW of 38.
    >> Having a C4 strike weight of 11.1 would make for a pretty heavy strike weight curve. Am I to conclude from this test that I should add weight to the hammers and then add weight to the keys to compensate and that will give me a medium inertial playing quality?
    >> Am I missing something here?
    >>
    >>
    >> John Pope
    >> University of Kentucky School of Music
    >> Lexington, KY
    >>
    >>
    >> Reply to Sender : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=773110&SenderKey=18028196-008a-421f-9964-a7d4faa1e37b <https: my.ptg.org/egroups/postreply/?groupid="43&MID=773110&SenderKey=18028196-008a-421f-9964-a7d4faa1e37b">
    >>
    >> Reply to Discussion : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=773110 <https: my.ptg.org/egroups/postreply/?groupid="43&MID=773110">
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> You are subscribed to "Pianotech" as horacegreeleypiano@sonic.net <horacegreeleypiano@sonic.net>. To change your subscriptions, go to http://my.ptg.org/preferences?section=Subscriptions. <http: my.ptg.org/preferences?section="Subscriptions."> To unsubscribe from this community discussion, go to http://my.ptg.org/HigherLogic/eGroups/Unsubscribe.aspx?UserKey=18d8c323-aa1d-4526-8bf1-a6805870cbe6&sKey=KeyRemoved&GroupKey=2bb4ebe8-4dba-4640-ae67-111903beaddf. <http: my.ptg.org/higherlogic/egroups/unsubscribe.aspx?userkey="18d8c323-aa1d-4526-8bf1-a6805870cbe6&sKey=KeyRemoved&GroupKey=2bb4ebe8-4dba-4640-ae67-111903beaddf.">
    >>
    >
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 2/20/2024 7:50:00 PM
    > Subject: RE: My latest SNAP attempt
    >
    >
    > Thank you Adrian for bringing this up. Now I understand what John was saying about there being a lot of lead in the keys. His C4 Front Weight is normal but there are leads in that back of the key too. So that adds up to a lot of leads. By all means remove the back leads, fill the holes with material of a similar density to the keystick stock and rebalance the front weights with weights on the front!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > David Stanwood
    > stanwoodpiano.com
    > 508-693-1583
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-20-2024 19:22
    > From: Adrian Carcione
    >
    >
    > Interesting case. Thanks always for sharing these great touchweight analysis tools with everyone David.
    >
    > Just thinking...If this grand action was said to have key lead on both sides of the balance point on "all notes," and the described inertial playing quality is too firm/heavy, wouldn't it also be of immediate benefit to remove that lead from the rear portion of the keysticks, except where possibly reasonable in the upper high treble?
    >
    >
    > Adrian Carcione RPT
    > Eureka CA
    > (805) 823-3231
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-20-2024 18:24
    >
    > Thank you for the updata. So taking C4. The front weight is very close to the medium benchmark of 27g. The balance weight is high at 43. The medium benchmark is 38. If you go to the table in my most recent article, Snap Part II, the selection guide table may be used to make a qualitative judgment about the touch quality to expect from a range of BW/FW pairings. In your case, (assuming your Wippen Balance Weight is close to 9g), the BW43 cell in the FW#7 column yields a rating of in the middle of the Firm/High inertial playing quality zone. So the SNAP solution is to lighten the action by finding a lighter hammer/strike weight and/or lowering of the leverage that brings the BW down to a lower level. A 38 balance weight will give a rating in the middle of the medium inertial playing quality zone. With a 12 friction in the center of the keyboard your D/U will be 50/26. You could go lower to 35 as well to bring the inertial playing quality into the light zone as wel!
    l with a
    > D/U of 47/23 You'll have to consider your alternatives for a lower hammer weight scale. If new light hammers is the choice, remember that lighter hammers need softer felt than heavier hammers for a beautiful natural voicing quality. If the hammer weight solution is too low, you can help meet the need by combining with a leverage shift. The most expedient possibility is an off-center balance rail pivot. You can carefully hide glue the cloth balance rail punchings to the bottom of the key then cut off the front side of the punching to shift the key pivot point back as needed, as far as the back edge of the hole. A more transparent approach is to glue a thin piece of veneer onto the balance rail under the punching stack up against the back of the balance rail pins. This won't work if the balance rail bevel on the undercuts the balance rail punching stack on either side. And of course you can always move the capstan/heel line distally. Regulation will dictate !
    how far you
    > can take shorter blow and deeper dip. Sometimes tweeting center pin elevations and action spread can improve things in that department.
    >
    > David Stanwood
    > stanwoodpiano.com
    > 508-693-1583
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-20-2024 16:25
    >
    >
    > Thank you David.
    >
    > My 3 sample notes: F3 BW 40.5, FW 29.4
    >
    > C4 BW 43, FW 25.6
    >
    > F4 BW 44.5, FW 23.4
    >
    > And yes the front bushings are a bit tight. I can ease away some friction. Oddly, (to me) all notes in the piano have lead in both ends of the key, both sides of the balance rail.
    >
    >
    > John Pope
    > Lexington, KY
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-20-2024 15:23
    >
    >
    > Hi John,
    >
    > Back a little... Your close to having a kind of definition of what your client feels is a heavy action. Quoting from my PTJournal article SNap Method part I : "Specific combinations of front weight and balance weight are associated with particular inertial playing qualities" . So you client says the action is heavy but you only have balance weight data for three sample notes. What are the front weights for those notes? Please report.
    >
    > The solution will be reducing hammer weight and or ratio because BW + FW is an expression of Strike Weight times Ratio.
    >
    > Also a 15 and 14 friction in the middle of the keyboard is a little high. What's the cause of that? Key easing? Hammer Flange friction too high? More investigation needed to establish the reason(s) for the percieved heaviness.
    >
    > Does this action have wippen assist springs? If so you need to measure balance weight with them detached if you want to make sense of BS + FW.
    >
    >
    > David Stanwood
    > stanwoodpiano.com
    > 508-693-1583
    >
    > Original Message:
    >
    > I have a 1970s Grotrian with not-original hammer heads. A pianist I am trying to please says it feels heavy. Sample notes show balance weight of 43, 44, and 40. Friction for these notes is 15, 14, and 12. There is very little lead in the keys.
    > I attempted a Stanwood New Action Protocol test. I added front weight on C4 to get it up to 27 grams, reducing its BW to 32. Strike weight was 10.1. I had to increase SW to 11.1 to get a BW of 38.
    > Having a C4 strike weight of 11.1 would make for a pretty heavy strike weight curve. Am I to conclude from this test that I should add weight to the hammers and then add weight to the keys to compensate and that will give me a medium inertial playing quality?
    >
    >
    > John Pope
    > Lexington, KY
    > </stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>></stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>>
    >
    > Reply to Sender : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=773113&SenderKey=18028196-008a-421f-9964-a7d4faa1e37b
    >
    > Reply to Discussion : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=773113
    >
    >
    >
    > You are subscribed to "Pianotech" as horacegreeleypiano@sonic.net. To change your subscriptions, go to http://my.ptg.org/preferences?section=Subscriptions. To unsubscribe from this community discussion, go to http://my.ptg.org/HigherLogic/eGroups/Unsubscribe.aspx?UserKey=18d8c323-aa1d-4526-8bf1-a6805870cbe6&sKey=KeyRemoved&GroupKey=2bb4ebe8-4dba-4640-ae67-111903beaddf.
    >

• 10.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-20-2024 22:18

Horace,   I greatly appreciate the value of your experience and wisdom.  Thank you for sharing.  

When you say "There is more to it than mass. Sadly, that's all that folks seem to be concentrating on these days." 

I see that there is a lot of interest on the mass of the hammer because we want to be able to grapple with its effects intelligently in our work to make  pianos as good as they can be.   The traditional down weight method just doesn't cut it.   Hammer weight is an foundational part of the puzzle. I also notice in all the very intelligent talk I read and hear about voicing hammers, hammer weight is seldom if ever mentioned.   I would be a lot happier to hear more discourse concerning all aspects of hammer weight.

Yours Truly,

David Stanwood
    stanwoodpiano.com
    stanwood@tiac.net
    508-693-1583

• 11.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-20-2024 23:42
    Hi, David,

Thank you very much for your kind words. I very much appreciate them.

While I agree that the "traditional down weight method doesn't cut it",
    what I think keeps getting lost from the picture is the quality (not as
    in "good" or "bad"; but rather "the make up of") the hammer. Any number
    of questions arise around this; but I don't seem them meaningfully
    discussed all that often.

These can range from duration and amount of heat during pressing, ditto
    for the basic felting, what chemicals are used to process the wool
    (there was a long time when most hammer felt seems to have been both
    bleached and soaked in sulphuric acid); how was the hammer felt treated
    physically after the felting process?; how much "pre-hardening" was done
    by the manufacturer?; how much "shaping?"....&c ad nauseam (or, so it
    would seem).

Among the points here is that, by the time the hammer (and the
    surrounding piano) get to the technician, there has been a great deal of
    stuff done to the hammer over which the technician has absolutely no
    influence, let alone control. The technician, then, must rely on their
    best judgement as to what might work in any given setting.

I keep changing the scope....my apologies.

What I think I am trying to zero in on is that the overall makeup of the
    felt (and how it is treated) is a substantive part of the equation just
    as is the weight of the hammer in situ. On net, then, what I am
    advocating is an understanding of hammer weight that includes more than
    the (relatively) simple measurement of mass.

Additionally, I'm pretty convinced that there is no "one-size-fits-all"
    solution. Piano scales are different. Their construction is different.
    The ways in which they are used is different. "Different" in this
    case could be taken to mean "unique" within limits specific to any given
    maker's product.

Kind regards.

Horace

On 2/20/2024 7:18 PM, David Stanwood via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    > Horace, I greatly appreciate the value of your experience and wisdom. Thank you for sharing.
    >
    > When you say "There is more to it than mass. Sadly, that's all that folks seem to be concentrating on these days."
    >
    > I see that there is a lot of interest on the mass of the hammer because we want to be able to grapple with its effects intelligently in our work to make pianos as good as they can be. The traditional down weight method just doesn't cut it. Hammer weight is an foundational part of the puzzle. I also notice in all the very intelligent talk I read and hear about voicing hammers, hammer weight is seldom if ever mentioned. I would be a lot happier to hear more discourse concerning all aspects of hammer weight.
    >
    > Yours Truly,
    >
    >
    > David Stanwood
    > stanwoodpiano.com
    > stanwood@tiac.net
    > 508-693-1583
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-20-2024 21:49
    > From: Horace Greeley
    >
    > Hi, David,
    >
    > Understood; and, basically, agreed.
    >
    > Over the years, I've had several dozen Grotians from different periods
    > of manufacture under my care. When this started happening, a long time
    > ago now, I was privileged to spend some time with Leonard Jared, who
    > understood those instruments better than anyone else I've encountered.
    > While this absolutely does not make me a Grotrian "expert", it does mean
    > that I've seen a few.
    >
    > One thing that I have noticed is that, among the other idiosyncratic
    > things that Grotrian does, is key leading. I agree with your assessment
    > that the way in which they approach this is eccentric to many. At the
    > same time, Grotrian doesn't seem to have any trouble selling however
    > many pianos they choose to make. So, their approach must work, for at
    > least some pianists.
    >
    > In terms of inertia, one consistent problem that I find is that so much
    > is done to reduce inertia, as if, inertia were to be, in and of itself,
    > a Bad Thing, to the point that actions simply run away from those trying
    > to play them. Does that approach work for some pianists? Yes. Does it
    > work for all pianists? Not in my experience.
    >
    > That experience reinforces my approach of working to figure out what a
    > given instrument was like by design, as well as by manufacture; then to
    > try to find a balance between those two that allow the greatest
    > transparency of operation for the action regulation, tuning; and voicing
    > for whoever is going to play it. This may mean different things for
    > different pianos.
    >
    > It's easy for those of us in the field to forget that, by and large,
    > piano manfacturers are simply that, manufacturers. To the extent that
    > we choose to do so, some of us are involved in custom work. This is not
    > the same thing as manufacture; and, it would seem to carry the greater
    > burden of making sure that decisions that we make are well-grounded.
    >
    > In this case, if the "new(er)" hammers are not actually from Grotrian,
    > then, all bets are off. The same would be true for any maker still in
    > business who still provides their own hammers, or, who strongly
    > recommend certain types and/or brands of hammers. This is less true for
    > pianos from piano makers who are no longer business. In re: such
    > instruments, we are incredibly fortunate to have reasonably competent
    > replacement hammers available that more closely replicate those from a
    > century ago than what was generally available until fairly recently.
    >
    > Finally, I do disagree with your change from "hammer" to "hammer
    > weight". There is more to it than mass. Sadly, that's all that folks
    > seem to be concentrating on these days.
    >
    > Kind regards.
    >
    > Horace
    >
    > On 2/20/2024 5:52 PM, David Stanwood via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    >> Hello Horace, Thanks for your input.
    >>
    >> Two comments on: "What does an inspection of the keys reveal (if anything) about if/when leads might have been added that might not have been factory-installed?"
    >>
    >> I have a little data on that. The first piano that brought me to Europe in 1997was a late model Grotrian concert grand at the Schaffhausen Conservatorium in Switzerland. Many Many of the factory weighted keys had two large leads in the middle of the back side of the keys in additional to an ample supply in the front. It simply makes the inertia of the keys much higher than need be and the pianist will feel and notice this and not neccessarily appreciate it...
    >>
    >> and: "Basically, if the hammer is incorrect to begin with, then, however carefully we measure
    >> everything/anything else, the inertia of the action will not be correct no matter what we might choose to do."
    >>
    >> Absolutely correct, however I change "hammer" to "hammer weight"
    >>
    >> Respectfully
    >>
    >> David Stanwood
    >> stanwoodpiano.com
    >> stanwood@tiac.net <stanwood@tiac.net>
    >> 508-693-1583
    >> -------------------------------------------
    >> Original Message:
    >> Sent: 02-20-2024 20:08
    >> From: Horace Greeley
    >>
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Appreciating what has passed before, in his original post, Mr. Pope wrote:
    >>
    >> "I have a 1970s Grotrian with not-original hammer heads. A pianist I am
    >> trying to please says it feels heavy."
    >>
    >> For me, there are a couple of alarm bells that go off before we start
    >> measuring much of anything else.
    >>
    >> If the hammers are not "original" Grotrian hammers...as in from
    >> Grotrian, not some third party supplier...then any other analysis has to
    >> be cast in the light that the currently installed hammers may simply be
    >> of the wrong type, density, &c for the current installation. Were the
    >> "new" hammers installed on original S&F? What does an inspection of the
    >> keys reveal (if anything) about if/when leads might have been added that
    >> might not have been factory-installed? &c.
    >>
    >> While I certainly support all of the other analysis and advice that's
    >> been offered, it doesn't seem like there is some basic information that
    >> would help achieve a useful diagnosis. Basically, if the hammer is
    >> incorrect to begin with, then, however carefully we measure
    >> everything/anything else, the inertia of the action will not be correct
    >> no matter what we might choose to do.
    >>
    >> This would seem to be especially true for a boutique instrument that is
    >> now roughly 50 years old.
    >>
    >> Kind regards.
    >>
    >> Horace
    >>
    >> On 2/20/2024 4:50 PM, David Stanwood via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    >>> Thank you Adrian for bringing this up. Now I understand what John was saying about there being a lot of lead in the keys. His C4 Front Weight is normal but there are leads in that back of the key too. So that adds up to a lot of leads. By all means remove the back leads, fill the holes with material of a similar density to the keystick stock and rebalance the front weights with weights on the front!
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> ------------------------------
    >>> David Stanwood
    >>> stanwoodpiano.com
    >>> stanwood@tiac.net <stanwood@tiac.net> <stanwood@tiac.net></stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>>
    >>> 508-693-1583
    >>> -------------------------------------------
    >>> Original Message:
    >>> Sent: 02-20-2024 19:22
    >>> From: Adrian Carcione
    >>> Subject: My latest SNAP attempt
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Interesting case. Thanks always for sharing these great touchweight analysis tools with everyone David.
    >>>
    >>> Just thinking...If this grand action was said to have key lead on both sides of the balance point on "all notes," and the described inertial playing quality is too firm/heavy, wouldn't it also be of immediate benefit to remove that lead from the rear portion of the keysticks, except where possibly reasonable in the upper high treble?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Adrian Carcione RPT
    >>> Eureka CA
    >>> (805) 823-3231
    >>>
    >>> Original Message:
    >>> Sent: 02-20-2024 18:24
    >>> From: David Stanwood
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for the updata. So taking C4. The front weight is very close to the medium benchmark of 27g. The balance weight is high at 43. The medium benchmark is 38. If you go to the table in my most recent article, Snap Part II, the selection guide table may be used to make a qualitative judgment about the touch quality to expect from a range of BW/FW pairings. In your case, (assuming your Wippen Balance Weight is close to 9g), the BW43 cell in the FW#7 column yields a rating of in the middle of the Firm/High inertial playing quality zone. So the SNAP solution is to lighten the action by finding a lighter hammer/strike weight and/or lowering of the leverage that brings the BW down to a lower level. A 38 balance weight will give a rating in the middle of the medium inertial playing quality zone. With a 12 friction in the center of the keyboard your D/U will be 50/26. You could go lower to 35 as well to bring the inertial playing quality into the light zone as w!
    e!
    > l!
    >> l with a
    >>> D/U of 47/23 You'll have to consider your alternatives for a lower hammer weight scale. If new light hammers is the choice, remember that lighter hammers need softer felt than heavier hammers for a beautiful natural voicing quality. If the hammer weight solution is too low, you can help meet the need by combining with a leverage shift. The most expedient possibility is an off-center balance rail pivot. You can carefully hide glue the cloth balance rail punchings to the bottom of the key then cut off the front side of the punching to shift the key pivot point back as needed, as far as the back edge of the hole. A more transparent approach is to glue a thin piece of veneer onto the balance rail under the punching stack up against the back of the balance rail pins. This won't work if the balance rail bevel on the undercuts the balance rail punching stack on either side. And of course you can always move the capstan/heel line distally. Regulation will dict!
    at!
    > e !
    >> how far you
    >>> can take shorter blow and deeper dip. Sometimes tweeting center pin elevations and action spread can improve things in that department.
    >>>
    >>> David Stanwood
    >>> stanwoodpiano.com
    >>> stanwood@tiac.net <stanwood@tiac.net> <stanwood@tiac.net></stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>> <stanwood@tiac.net></stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>></stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>><stanwood@tiac.net></stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>>>
    >>> 508-693-1583
    >>>
    >>> Original Message:
    >>> Sent: 02-20-2024 16:25
    >>> From: John Pope
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Thank you David.
    >>>
    >>> My 3 sample notes: F3 BW 40.5, FW 29.4
    >>>
    >>> C4 BW 43, FW 25.6
    >>>
    >>> F4 BW 44.5, FW 23.4
    >>>
    >>> And yes the front bushings are a bit tight. I can ease away some friction. Oddly, (to me) all notes in the piano have lead in both ends of the key, both sides of the balance rail.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> John Pope
    >>> University of Kentucky School of Music
    >>> Lexington, KY
    >>>
    >>> Original Message:
    >>> Sent: 02-20-2024 15:23
    >>> From: David Stanwood
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Hi John,
    >>>
    >>> Back a little... Your close to having a kind of definition of what your client feels is a heavy action. Quoting from my PTJournal article SNap Method part I : "Specific combinations of front weight and balance weight are associated with particular inertial playing qualities" . So you client says the action is heavy but you only have balance weight data for three sample notes. What are the front weights for those notes? Please report.
    >>>
    >>> The solution will be reducing hammer weight and or ratio because BW + FW is an expression of Strike Weight times Ratio.
    >>>
    >>> Also a 15 and 14 friction in the middle of the keyboard is a little high. What's the cause of that? Key easing? Hammer Flange friction too high? More investigation needed to establish the reason(s) for the percieved heaviness.
    >>>
    >>> Does this action have wippen assist springs? If so you need to measure balance weight with them detached if you want to make sense of BS + FW.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> David Stanwood
    >>> stanwoodpiano.com
    >>> stanwood@tiac.net <stanwood@tiac.net> <stanwood@tiac.net></stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>> <stanwood@tiac.net></stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>></stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>><stanwood@tiac.net></stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>>>
    >>> 508-693-1583
    >>>
    >>> Original Message:
    >>> Sent: 02-20-2024 13:25
    >>> From: John Pope
    >>>
    >>> I have a 1970s Grotrian with not-original hammer heads. A pianist I am trying to please says it feels heavy. Sample notes show balance weight of 43, 44, and 40. Friction for these notes is 15, 14, and 12. There is very little lead in the keys.
    >>> I attempted a Stanwood New Action Protocol test. I added front weight on C4 to get it up to 27 grams, reducing its BW to 32. Strike weight was 10.1. I had to increase SW to 11.1 to get a BW of 38.
    >>> Having a C4 strike weight of 11.1 would make for a pretty heavy strike weight curve. Am I to conclude from this test that I should add weight to the hammers and then add weight to the keys to compensate and that will give me a medium inertial playing quality?
    >>> Am I missing something here?
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> John Pope
    >>> University of Kentucky School of Music
    >>> Lexington, KY
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Reply to Sender : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=773110&SenderKey=18028196-008a-421f-9964-a7d4faa1e37b <https: my.ptg.org/egroups/postreply/?groupid="43&MID=773110&SenderKey=18028196-008a-421f-9964-a7d4faa1e37b"> </https:></stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>></stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>></stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>></stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>></stanwood@tiac.net><stanwood@tiac.net>>
    >
    > Reply to Sender : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=773118&SenderKey=18028196-008a-421f-9964-a7d4faa1e37b
    >
    > Reply to Discussion : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=773118
    >
    >
    >
    >

• 12.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-21-2024 11:28

Horace,

Now that you mention it, the back leads don't have the same factory installed look as the front ones. It looks like someone swaged the back leads with a ball peen hammer instead of the factory swaging tool. Did somebody think the action was too light and added them? They are also in the exact same spot on each key.

John Pope
    Lexington, KY

• 13.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-20-2024 21:06

Hi John,

Regarding  my comment: "So you client says the action is heavy but you only have balance weight data for three sample notes. What are the front weights for those notes?  Please report. "    Please clarify.  You posted: "C4 BW 43, FW 25.6".  Is this the condition the client commenting on as being heavy?

David Stanwood
    stanwoodpiano.com
    stanwood@tiac.net
    508-693-1583

• 14.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-20-2024 23:55

Sadly, i think all the acronyms, and the false positive  reading of measurement  that a balance based system is forced to use overly complicates the simple process that this really is. By the way, a unit of measure for inertia looks like this - kg x m².

Regardless, here's a simple procedure that works on every modern piano.

1)Fix all friction problems,

2)Make hammers in the Strike Weight Range #1 10.5g smoothly tapering to #88 5g. This means that A49 is about 8.5g.

3)Use a test key. I use #2, #3, #86 and #87 remove all lead. Put action stack back on.

4) Place your desired downweight on a key. Add lead until jack tender touches.  The rest of the keys are just fill.

5) Easy. Try a test key you'll see.

I use a system that measures the actual inertia of all 88 on my rebuilds so i get a more accurate lead placement in each key. But aim for leads far forward as possible to use as little as possible.

-chris

Chernobieff Piano Restorations

"The Piano Whisperer"
    Maker of the finest maximum output piano soundboards. (Osage Orange Bridge Caps, Norway Spruce Panels, Engineered Ribs, Sustain Bar)

Inventor of Inertia Touch Wave (Real Dynamic Inertia Control and Smoothness)

865-986-7720 (text only please)

• 15.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-21-2024 11:12

Chris,

What you are advocating is basically what I have also been doing for a while, starting with a smooth SW curve and then leading keys to get consistent BW (DW for you). Your right. It mostly works.

John Pope
    Lexington, KY

• 16.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-21-2024 03:08

As DS says, not quite enough info.  However if you achieved a BW of 32 grams at C4 with a FW of 27 grams that would be a relatively low inertia action assuming that the SW at C4 is representative of the rest of the action.and falls within a reasonable SW curve (doesn't have to be an exact, existing zone).

Typically, for a medium inertia action you want a BW of 37 grams with FW of 24-25 grams at C4.  Your action if you adjusted the FW to achieve a BW of 37 grams would yield a FW of 22 grams.  Lower FWs that produce the same BW means that the inertia will be lower because the primary driver of inertia is the relationship between SW and AR.  And because the FW:BW relationship is 1:1 (inverse ratio) then modifications are simple and straight forward (don't worry about the wippen or the key for that matter).  If the inertia is too high, change either the AR or the SW to achieve the optimum BW:FW relationship.  No AR to caclulate or measure, no cute little gauges, just targets of FW and BW.  AR will determine the regulation specs, of course, and if that's your goal then you have to accept the limitations that puts on weight choices. 

BTW once you have established the required SW at C4 for the AR that is present in your system you can simply calculate your own curve on excel using a simple chart and a trendline curve (display equation on chart and note that you want a 2nd degree polynomial ax^2+bx+c, if you recall your high school algebra/geometry class.)  

The general procedure is to preset your FWs as about 80% of Stanwood FW maximums on several samples, say C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7 C8 (more if you want). Then determine the SWs for each note that produces the BW that you want, say 37 grams.  Once you have that, put them into an excel spreadsheet, calculate your 2nd degree polynomial trendline curve and hit that curve as closely as possible.  

if you want a lower inertia action then set up your FWs at a lower percentage, say 75% or 70% and determine the SWs that hit that same BW target.   

However, they can also be responding to a DW that is too high in which case you will have to lower the BW.  The DW, recall, reflects the minimum force required to actuate the key with near zero acceleration,  While it's not something achieved in practice it can make a difference.  

If you're afraid of having to further lower the weight then attach a mini binder clip to the hammer end of the shank as part of establishing your SW target.  Then, if the customer still finds it heavy you can remove the .5 grams binder clip which will drop the BW by about 2.5 grams and in the process lower the inertia since you are removing  mass from the hammer lever.

If they still complain then refer them to your least favorite tech in the local chapter--just kidding, or course. 

My FW maximum curve is a little different than DS and looks like this.  Again the target should be around 80% for a 37g BW for a medium inetia action (IMO).  Lower FW for the same BW means lower inertia and vice versa.  BTW the FW max is most important in the lower 2/3s of the action.  The top end of the action will always have lower inertia than the bottom because the hammers are lighter (assuming uniform AR).  So if the set has you crossing into higher FW maximums in the upper end, I wouldn't worry about it.  Sometimes the makeup of the hammer set forces you to accept that.  Don't over complicate it, this is relatively easy stuff once you understand the relationships.  

(Note that DS's FW max is a bit lower at the upper end, about the same at the bottom.  This is a calculated curve BTW)

FW Max (Love) Note #

41.0 1
    40.8 2
    40.6 3
    40.5 4
    40.3 5
    40.1 6
    39.9 7
    39.8 8
    39.6 9
    39.4 10
    39.2 11
    38.9 12
    38.7 13
    38.5 14
    38.3 15
    38.0 16
    37.8 17
    37.6 18
    37.3 19
    37.0 20
    36.8 21
    36.5 22
    36.2 23
    36.0 24
    35.7 25
    35.4 26
    35.1 27
    34.8 28
    34.5 29
    34.2 30
    33.8 31
    33.5 32
    33.2 33
    32.8 34
    32.5 35
    32.1 36
    31.8 37
    31.4 38
    31.1 39
    30.7 40
    30.3 41
    29.9 42
    29.5 43
    29.1 44
    28.7 45
    28.3 46
    27.9 47
    27.5 48
    27.1 49
    26.7 50
    26.2 51
    25.8 52
    25.3 53
    24.9 54
    24.4 55
    23.9 56
    23.5 57
    23.0 58
    22.5 59
    22.0 60
    21.5 61
    21.0 62
    20.5 63
    20.0 64
    19.5 65
    19.0 66
    18.5 67
    17.9 68
    17.4 69
    16.8 70
    16.3 71
    15.7 72
    15.2 73
    14.6 74
    14.0 75
    13.4 76
    12.9 77
    12.3 78
    11.7 79
    11.1 80
    10.5 81
    9.8 82
    9.2 83
    8.6 84
    8.0 85
    7.3 86
    6.7 87
    6.0 88

David Love RPT
    www.davidlovepianos.com
    davidlovepianos@comcast.net
    415 407 8320

• 17.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-21-2024 07:14

Horace,

To your point about hammer makeup, etc. I just completed a Kawai GS-60 from the mid 80's. Long story short...when I replaced the original humongous hammers with Ronsen hammers felted with Bacon felt it instantly TRANSFORMED the entire personality of the instrument.  It became a gorgeous, lyrical and  singing beauty (previously it was "good" and powerful, but lacked any specific character). I was stunned by the instant change in voice. I had a similar experience on a Mason & Hamlin A. Exact same combination on that. (WNG shanks on both).

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 18.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-21-2024 08:25

Well folks,

I'm back to the university shop this morning. As I walked in the thought occurred... "Did I tare the scale when I took those FW measurments yesterday?"

No, I did not. Here are the actual front weights

F3: FW 18.2, BW 40.5

C4 FW14.2,  BW43

F4 FW 12, BW 44.5

John Pope
    Lexington, KY

• 19.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-21-2024 09:07

The above measurements are what one of my piano profs experienced as heavy. When I played the piano I didn't experience it so much as heavy but definitely ...different.

John Pope
    Lexington, KY

• 20.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-21-2024 09:10
    C4 keystick

John Pope
    Lexington, KY

• 21.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-21-2024 10:07

The current hammers are Abels and look to have been glued onto existing shanks.

John Pope
    Lexington, KY

• 22.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-21-2024 12:25

More news. I neglected to notice that yes, we do have wippen assist springs. New balance weights figures coming soon

John Pope
    Lexington, KY

• 23.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-21-2024 12:56

Balance Weight with wip springs disengaged

F3: BW 53 (FW 18.2)

C4: BW 54.5 (FW 43)

F4: BW 56  (FW 12)

John Pope
    Lexington, KY

• 24.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-21-2024 15:52

Let's try that again

F3: BW 53 (FW 18.2)

C4: BW 54.5 (FW 14.2)

F4: BW 56  (FW 12)

John Pope
    Lexington, KY

• 25.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-21-2024 17:24
    Hi, John,

Good information. Thank you very much.

Suspecting that I'll get pushback on this, I'm wondering what the
    University's appetite might be for replacing the H, S, &F with
    original/"genuine" Grotrian parts.

Putting aside the non-original hammers for a moment, the S&F are
    nominally fifty years old. Even if you've got the time to rebush the
    flanges and replace the knuckles, how does the current hang distance
    compare with the original? (...and, what's your time worth?...) I
    often find the hang distance to be too short, especially when the S&F
    are reused. For me, it's kind of a false economy to replace hammers on
    an instrument that's showing some age without replacing the S&F as well.

While I am not at all sure about this, I suspect that the stock hammers
    are originally more dense than the Abels. Further, I've not seen many
    sets of Abel (or other hard-pressed hammers) that have been properly set
    up. Most of them do not get a fully-developed voicing prior to being
    hung. That prejudices what it's possible for them to produce in any
    given piano.

In that regard, about a year or so ago, there was quite a thread on this
    list about this kind of thing. I believe that the subject was something
    like: soft hammers v. hard hammers. The two main participants in that
    thread were David Love and Nick Gravagne. In addition to Ric
    Baldassin's relevant outline of voicing Renner Blue hammers (still
    available from Renner, USA), that thread was an excellent review of how
    to approach different types of hammers.

Once the question of H, S, &F replacement is answered, then the
    variables are reduced; and it's more reasonable to develop a plan of attack.

In either event, I think that I would remove the leads that were placed
    to the distaff side of the capstan, spend some time with going over the
    pinning on the action; and make sure that the keys are functional in
    your environment.

Anyway, please take what's useful here; and feel free to ditch the rest.

Kind regards.

Horace

On 2/21/2024 12:52 PM, John Pope via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    > Let's try that again
    >
    >
    > F3: BW 53 (FW 18.2)
    >
    >
    > C4: BW 54.5 (FW 14.2)
    >
    >
    > F4: BW 56 (FW 12)
    >
    >
    > John Pope
    > Lexington, KY
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-21-2024 12:56
    >
    >
    > Balance Weight with wip springs disengaged
    >
    > F3: BW 53 (FW 18.2)
    >
    > C4: BW 54.5 (FW 43)
    >
    > F4: BW 56 (FW 12)
    >
    >
    > John Pope
    > Lexington, KY
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-21-2024 12:24
    >
    >
    > More news. I neglected to notice that yes, we do have wippen assist springs. New balance weights figures coming soon
    >
    >
    > John Pope
    > Lexington, KY
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-21-2024 10:07
    >
    >
    > The current hammers are Abels and look to have been glued onto existing shanks.
    >
    >
    > John Pope
    > Lexington, KY
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-21-2024 09:10
    >
    >
    >
    > John Pope
    > Lexington, KY
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-21-2024 09:07
    >
    >
    > The above measurements are what one of my piano profs experienced as heavy. When I played the piano I didn't experience it so much as heavy but definitely ...different.
    >
    >
    > John Pope
    > Lexington, KY
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-21-2024 08:25
    >
    >
    > Well folks,
    >
    > I'm back to the university shop this morning. As I walked in the thought occurred... "Did I tare the scale when I took those FW measurments yesterday?"
    >
    > No, I did not. Here are the actual front weights
    >
    > F3: FW 18.2, BW 40.5
    >
    > C4 FW14.2, BW43
    >
    > F4 FW 12, BW 44.5
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > John Pope
    > Lexington, KY
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-21-2024 07:13
    > From: Peter Grey
    >
    >
    > Horace,
    >
    >
    >
    > To your point about hammer makeup, etc. I just completed a Kawai GS-60 from the mid 80's. Long story short...when I replaced the original humongous hammers with Ronsen hammers felted with Bacon felt it instantly TRANSFORMED the entire personality of the instrument. It became a gorgeous, lyrical and singing beauty (previously it was "good" and powerful, but lacked any specific character). I was stunned by the instant change in voice. I had a similar experience on a Mason & Hamlin A. Exact same combination on that. (WNG shanks on both).
    >
    >
    >
    > Peter Grey Piano Doctor
    >
    >
    > Peter Grey
    > Stratham NH
    > (603) 686-2395
    > pianodoctor57@gmail.com <pianodoctor57@gmail.com>
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-21-2024 03:07
    > From: David Love
    >
    >
    > As DS says, not quite enough info. However if you achieved a BW of 32 grams at C4 with a FW of 27 grams that would be a relatively low inertia action assuming that the SW at C4 is representative of the rest of the action.and falls within a reasonable SW curve (doesn't have to be an exact, existing zone).
    >
    > Typically, for a medium inertia action you want a BW of 37 grams with FW of 24-25 grams at C4. Your action if you adjusted the FW to achieve a BW of 37 grams would yield a FW of 22 grams. Lower FWs that produce the same BW means that the inertia will be lower because the primary driver of inertia is the relationship between SW and AR. And because the FW:BW relationship is 1:1 (inverse ratio) then modifications are simple and straight forward (don't worry about the wippen or the key for that matter). If the inertia is too high, change either the AR or the SW to achieve the optimum BW:FW relationship. No AR to caclulate or measure, no cute little gauges, just targets of FW and BW. AR will determine the regulation specs, of course, and if that's your goal then you have to accept the limitations that puts on weight choices.
    >
    > BTW once you have established the required SW at C4 for the AR that is present in your system you can simply calculate your own curve on excel using a simple chart and a trendline curve (display equation on chart and note that you want a 2nd degree polynomial ax^2+bx+c, if you recall your high school algebra/geometry class.)
    >
    > The general procedure is to preset your FWs as about 80% of Stanwood FW maximums on several samples, say C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7 C8 (more if you want). Then determine the SWs for each note that produces the BW that you want, say 37 grams. Once you have that, put them into an excel spreadsheet, calculate your 2nd degree polynomial trendline curve and hit that curve as closely as possible.
    >
    > if you want a lower inertia action then set up your FWs at a lower percentage, say 75% or 70% and determine the SWs that hit that same BW target.
    >
    > However, they can also be responding to a DW that is too high in which case you will have to lower the BW. The DW, recall, reflects the minimum force required to actuate the key with near zero acceleration, While it's not something achieved in practice it can make a difference.
    >
    > If you're afraid of having to further lower the weight then attach a mini binder clip to the hammer end of the shank as part of establishing your SW target. Then, if the customer still finds it heavy you can remove the .5 grams binder clip which will drop the BW by about 2.5 grams and in the process lower the inertia since you are removing mass from the hammer lever.
    >
    > If they still complain then refer them to your least favorite tech in the local chapter--just kidding, or course.
    >
    >
    >
    > My FW maximum curve is a little different than DS and looks like this. Again the target should be around 80% for a 37g BW for a medium inetia action (IMO). Lower FW for the same BW means lower inertia and vice versa. BTW the FW max is most important in the lower 2/3s of the action. The top end of the action will always have lower inertia than the bottom because the hammers are lighter (assuming uniform AR). So if the set has you crossing into higher FW maximums in the upper end, I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes the makeup of the hammer set forces you to accept that. Don't over complicate it, this is relatively easy stuff once you understand the relationships.
    >
    > (Note that DS's FW max is a bit lower at the upper end, about the same at the bottom. This is a calculated curve BTW)
    >
    >
    > FW Max (Love)Note # 41.0140.8240.6340.5440.3540.1639.9739.8839.6939.41039.21138.91238.71338.51438.31538.01637.81737.61837.31937.02036.82136.52236.22336.02435.72535.42635.12734.82834.52934.23033.83133.53233.23332.83432.53532.13631.83731.43831.13930.74030.34129.94229.54329.14428.74528.34627.94727.54827.14926.75026.25125.85225.35324.95424.45523.95623.55723.05822.55922.06021.56121.06220.56320.06419.56519.06618.56717.96817.46916.87016.37115.77215.27314.67414.07513.47612.97712.37811.77911.18010.5819.8829.2838.6848.0857.3866.7876.088
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > David Love RPT
    > www.davidlovepianos.com <http: www.davidlovepianos.com="">
    > davidlovepianos@comcast.net <davidlovepianos@comcast.net>
    > 415 407 8320
    >
    > Original Message:
    >
    >
    >
    > John Pope
    > Lexington, KY
    >
    >
    > Reply to Sender : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=773156&SenderKey=f9d9f81a-e96e-4146-a83f-5688dc7b73f8
    >
    > Reply to Discussion : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=773156
    >
    >
    >
    >

• 26.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-21-2024 18:12
    Undoubtedly, there will be many differing approaches, equally valid. 
    If a generalization is at all helpful here, it may be that the qualities inherent in a soundboard/belly, the scale tension, the airspace volume with its acoustics, as well as material properties of felt, are all significant interrelated factors wholistically perceived by pianists that may influence our choice in hammer weight when taking this variable as the starting point of touch design.  Then, if leverages don't pair well with such a strikeweight level at the desired playing type, then the leverages may accept some adjustment, but they're constrained by having reasonable regulation dimensions, and not having excessively massy keys also.  The beauty of the Stanwood equation of balance, as an analytic tool, is that if taking any select variable(s) as given priorities, it is possible to iteratively solve for the other terms/quantities, in ways that would associate with particular dynamic playing types.  
    But to have lead in both the entry and exit lever arms of the keystick in a modern Erard-Herz action, does not seem to make very much sense, as it just makes the whole key heavier on both sides--unless that feature is a goal of someone--in a key which was already made of a lightweight wood species.  Removal of this back-lead will likely put this project on the right path quickly.  In the modern grand action type, frontweight is clearly frontweight for a reason; it serves a purpose and is best not undone by backweight.  Other grand action types may have different stories.   Upright actions too are different stories.  
    Although whippen assist springs could have their place sometimes, they might work against an essential role of the repetition spring, which is to push downward on the capstan.  
    I'd love to continue the conversation and learn from hearing other thoughts on all this too.
    Kind regards

Adrian Carcione RPT
    Eureka CA
    (805) 823-3231

• 27.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-21-2024 19:27

Hi Adrian,

Back-leading keys on a grand is something I have never done. However, I have heard tell of one or two highly respected technicians that have done this in pursuit of getting a feel that a particular client preferred.

Go figure.

Alan

Alan Eder, RPT
    Herb Alpert School of Music
    California Institute of the Arts
    Valencia, CA

• 28.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-22-2024 10:05

Alan,

This piano does have a unique feel that I don't necessarily dislike. It also spent it's early years in Los Angeles. Maybe one of those techs you heard tell of did this. In any case, I'm not the one I'm trying to please here. I think those back weights have got to go.

John Pope
    Lexington, KY

• 29.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-22-2024 11:04

If it was in my care the first thing I'd do is punch out those back leads (careful in the high treble as they may be useful), plug them and start anew with measurements. 

Some pianists think that if they practice on a real "heavyweight" piano that they can then handle "anything".  I doubt it's really true. Even baseball players only swing 2 or 3 bats together for a minute or two before getting up to bat. They're simply temporarily fooling their brain, not gaining any muscle. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 30.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-21-2024 21:20

The set up is poor, i.e., poor match between AR and SW. 

To get C4 to 37g BW you would need a FW of 31 grams, just over maximums. So to get it to medium inertia level you will need to either drop the SW by about 1.2 grams or change the AR by either putting on a 17mm knuckle (if it doesn't have one) or move the capstan by about 3 mm. If you are targeting a low inertia level you may need to do both. 

David Love RPT
    www.davidlovepianos.com
    davidlovepianos@comcast.net
    415 407 8320

• 31.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-22-2024 08:53

John,    Would you be so kind as to report how many notes have wippen support springs  and what the diameter of the springs are?  I expect that there are three sizes and that they might end in the upper treble somewhere.  For some reason most companies who have used these springs simply put them on and weigh off the keys which is a big mistake.    I'm curious if the back leading ends at the point the support springs end.    When applied intelligently they are a useful device.  Mostly maligned by technicians for lack of knowledge on how to intelligently use them.

David Stanwood
    stanwoodpiano.com
    stanwood@tiac.net
    508-693-1583

• 32.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-22-2024 10:36

Since this conversation is underway, I'll throw in a question of my own. Am I correct in thinking that the springs should best not be seen as a device for permitting the use of heavier hammers, but rather a strategy for reducing the amount of lead in the keys?  I can imagine figuring out a setup where the inertial feel is established by configuring the system such that it _would_ balance with front weight just under the Front Weight Maximum, but where the front weight is further reduced by the use of the springs to further reduce inertia in the system.

Wrapped up in my question is the assumption that the springs reduce the balance weight of the system, but do not offer a solution to excess inertia.

Floyd Gadd RPT
    Regina SK
    (306) 502-9103

• 33.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-22-2024 14:41

Correct.    Also allows for tweeking of down weights without the use of lead.

David Stanwood
    stanwoodpiano.com
    stanwood@tiac.net
    508-693-1583

• 34.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-22-2024 11:20

Springs 1 - 45 are .024"

46 - 69 are .022"

70 - 88 are springless

Backleading is from 1 to 88 in a pattern of sorts

John Pope
    Lexington, KY

• 35.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-27-2024 06:07
    Did you measure AR? If it more than 5.5 pianist will complain as Heavy Action, even DW and F are low
    Alexander Brusilovsky

• 36.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-27-2024 06:12
    By adding mass to the hammers and leads to the keys to compensate BW increasing you will increase dynamic resistance of the action which will make pianist feel the action even heavier.
    Alexander Brusilovsky

• 37.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-27-2024 09:02
    At first place, assuming problem is with piano, not with pianist, and particularly with hammer action , not damper action( which contributes to inertial properties of the piano much more than difference between Stanwood curves) why you decided you need to change dynamic ( inertial ) properties to please the pianist. Do you have method to measure those? Mr. Stanwood doesn’t! What about scientific to some degree definition of “ Inertial Playability”?
    What I see from your measurements: you added 1 gramm to the hammer mass and as result your BW increased to 6 gramms. Assuming your measurements are enough accurate to the problem you trying to solve it shows your AR is 6, which is way too much for the modern action. Lowering it to 5 ( most likely capstan reposition will be sufficient in your case) will dramatically improve feel of the action .
    Alexander Brusilovsky

• 38.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-27-2024 11:42

Thank you Alex for noticing that 6/1 ratio in the BW numbers. That is indeed high

Here is where we stand currently: I attempted a SNAP test but my conclusions were leading me in the wrong direction (adding weight to the hammers and adding weight to the keys to compensate). That seemed problematic even to me which is why I posted.

Upon further investigation I found I had overlooked some obvious factors.

1. There was lead in the back of every key. These look to have been added later, not part of the original design.
    2. There are wippen helper springs on notes 1- 69.

I have now removed all the lead from the backs of the keys except for one factory installed lead on note 88, and am now filling the holes. I plan to try another test.

John Pope
    Lexington, KY

• 39.  RE: My latest SNAP attempt

Posted 02-27-2024 15:10
    John.
    Looking on numbers of BW and Friction and reasonable amount of leading you have decent action as is . If regulation distances established correctly ( make sure!!!) I would call it good action. F could be decreased by few gramms ( a lot of work with not such tremendous improvement) . Seems root of pianist complaint lays somewhere else. Definitely not in inertial area because opposite lead added to make DW higher with combination of high ratio you have very light hammer set . Since main contributor to the inertia is hammer mass - inertia is not a problem here. Give pianist home work to find out how he would feel action on slow legato and quick fortissimo tremolo and passages. As known ( not to Mr. Stanwood) dynamic difference shows up only on quick loud play. Ask pianist if he feel different with sustain and without to exclude dempers influence on static and dynamic properties.
    You don’t need turbo wippens !
    Finally, Stanwood method can’t be used to solve dynamic problems of the action, it is completely wrong path community follows , unfortunately.
    Alexander Brusilovsky