Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

Nearly equal

• 1.  Nearly equal

Posted 15 days ago

A little more than a decade ago, I was working on different temperaments and wanted to develop one that was very mild, with the smallest offsets. With the ongoing discussion, I thought I'd share this one that has a maximum offset from ET of 1.3 cents.

It is surprising how little it takes to give a tuning a slight slant in the Well temperament direction. I use this as an ET replacement - it probably would pass as such, but all of the 'errors' are carefully constructed with a progression of intervals in mind.

Obviously, the better your chosen ETD is able to craft a clinical ET and appropriate stretch, the better any temperament will turn out. I'm currently using PiaTune for iOS that has an assist function for finding the best stretch. Graph from rollingball.com

Ron Koval

------------------------------
    Ron Koval
    CHICAGO IL

• 2.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 15 days ago

Let me try again to attach the graph....

from rollingball.com
    Ron Koval

Ron Koval
    CHICAGO IL

• 3.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 14 days ago
    Ron - that's a very smooth key progression. From the Rollingball information it's not clear what offsets one might insert into an ETD so as to be able to replicate it - perhaps it would be helpful to list them in this thread either from C or from A and also possibly to plug them into the spreadsheet I posted on the P12 thread to see what extent the tuning has an effect upon resonance.

Best wishes

David P

--
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.
    +44 1342 850594

• 4.  RE: Nearly equal

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 14 days ago

David,

In the black directly under the green stuff...offsets. You need to hop around a little with it but they're all there. I just plugged them into my piatune program and am going to give it a try.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 14 days ago
    Dear Peter

Thanks

What is confusing there is that it appears that that line is arranged by fifths rather than chromatically . . . unless I'm mistaken? For plugging into a machine it'll be necessary to re-order . . . 

Best wishes

David P

--
    +44 1342 850594

• 6.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 14 days ago

So I just tuned the temperament according to the plan and my assessment is that it is nearly identical to EBVT in its current form. The primary difference that I can clearly detect is that whereas EBVT makes F-A, G-B, C-E, and G-E (generally speaking) sound the same at 6bps, the EqWell does not do this which reduces one or two fairly fast 4ths and 5ths in the EBVT. 

I can see how this can produce decent key coloration and simultaneously not produce anything objectionable to most. The dissonances are in all the right places making the consonance in the simpler keys better. So far I'm impressed. I'll now continue through the piano. 

Nice work Ron!

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 14 days ago

Hi David, 

Yes, getting the offsets from the rolling ball site does take some careful bouncing around! 

A 0.0, A# 1.13, B -.65, C 1.3, C# -.17, D .52, D# .78, E -.52, F 1.3, F# -.35 G .87, G# .35

I'll try later to see if I can get your spreadsheet working on what I have here.

Ron Koval

Ron Koval
    CHICAGO IL

• 8.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 14 days ago

Ron,

I like it!  I'll rate it as "halfway" between ET and EBVT. A nice variation. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 14 days ago

My own work was inspired by Ed Foote and Bill Bremmer "back in the day"... I worked in an academic setting so had opportunity to experiment and willing pianists to provide feedback. I realized early on that "full strength" temperament were a big jump from ET for modern ears and began to try to scale down historical temperament with spotty results. 

The one I ended up designing scales up and down nicely (multiply each offset by the same amount to change strength) - I'm hoping David's spreadsheet can provide more information on good 'stopping points' going from almost equal all the way up to a Well tempered strength. I'll have to study what information the spreadsheet provides.

Through trial and error, I did find that the KV2.1 plays very well and is requested for a few of my teaching studios.

A 0, A# 1.82, B -1.05, C 2.1, C# -.28, D .84, D# 1.26, E -.84, F 2.1, F# -.56, G 1.4, G# .56

The naming convention is to use the offset for C and F...

Ron Koval

Ron Koval
    CHICAGO IL

• 10.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 14 days ago

I can say that in playing music on either of these, EBVT "somehow" produces a quietness in certain respects that ET (of course) totally lacks...but is semi-present in this 1.3 variation. I suspect that the focus on  equalizing those four RBI's above (and also changes some SBI's) has something to do with it, but as with all of these variations there are tradeoffs. Greater resolution contrasts exist in EBVT but more key continuity exists in 1.3. The difference is subtle, but there. 

I doubt any average pianist could tell the difference between 1.3 and ET other than the fact that it somehow sounds better. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 14 days ago
    Ron - thanks

Plugging the figures into the spreadsheet we see, of no surprise, that it's very near to Equal but with the satisfaction of some key colour and which would be your intention:
    Proportion of same frequencies
    Equal 38%
    Kellner 43%
    Koval 1.3 38%

Around 1 beat
    Equal 15%
    Kellner 9%
    Koval 1.3 14%

1 to 5 beats
    Equal 33%
    Kellner 28%
    Koval 1.3 33%

2 to 5 beats
    Equal 16%
    Kellner 17%
    Koval 1.3 17%

EVBT1 gives
    Equal 38%
    Kellner 43%
    EBVT1 40%

Around 1 beat
    Equal 15%
    Kellner 9%
    EBVT1 10%

1 to 5 beats
    Equal 33%
    Kellner 28%
    EBVT1 29%

2 to 5 beats
    Equal 16%
    Kellner 17%
    EBVT1 17%

EVBT2 gives 
    Equal 38%
    Kellner 43%
    EBVT2 40%

Around 1 beat
    Equal 15%
    Kellner 9%
    EBVT2 11%

1 to 5 beats
    Equal 33%
    Kellner 28%
    EBVT2 31%

2 to 5 beats
    Equal 16%
    Kellner 17%
    EBVT2 18%

EVBT3 gives 
    Equal 38%
    Kellner 43%
    EBVT3 39%

Around 1 beat
    Equal 15%
    Kellner 9%
    EBVT3 12%

1 to 5 beats
    Equal 33%
    Kellner 28%
    EBVT3 31%

2 to 5 beats
    Equal 16%
    Kellner 17%
    EBVT3 18%

As an interesting comparison the tuning chime bars of an 1896 Pleyel Chromatic harp give
    Equal 38%
    Kellner 43%
    Pleyel 39%

Around 1 beat
    Equal 15%
    Kellner 9%
    Pleyel 12%

1 to 5 beats
    Equal 33%
    Kellner 28%
    Pleyel 31%

2 to 5 beats
    Equal 16%
    Kellner 17%
    Pleyel 18%
    and for which the offsets are, 
    A 0
    A# 2.39
    B -0.16
    C 3.31
    C# -1.08
    D 0.62
    D# 1.38
    E -0.48
    F 1.49
    F# -0.17
    G 2.73
    G# 0.93
    A 0
    I haven't tried this on a piano 

Best wishes

David P

--

+44 1342 850594

• 12.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 13 days ago

This is not a critique but an observation. Being that most pianos are tuned but once or twice a year at best, the tuning of the average piano is more often than not in an unequal state than equal. The mild deviations of KV2 could be quite common in reality. 

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 13.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 11 days ago

Yes, I see your point. Except that while the amount of deviations of many of the mild temperaments could be common in 'ripening pianos', the specific direction and intent is not likely to occur randomly...

Ron Koval

Ron Koval
    CHICAGO IL

• 14.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 11 days ago
    Ron - I'm sure that before electronic machines tuners with ears liked to tweak equal to favour home keys a little better and it enables the player to feel a "travel" througis a h keys.

When I was young the head of music told me that I should be able to hear the differences between keys - and I could not so thought that I wasn't a good enough musician. Perhaps in his generation they could, but by the 1970s it was certainly inaudible to me, and upon realising this set me upon the path of rediscovery.

When musicians are hearing even subtle differences between keys, they know sooner that their instrument is going out of tune so degrees of audible inequality between keys is good for the tuning business. Plain jelly ET tuning simply degrades until the point that it's not tolerable and that can be extremely untuned for some people. 

Among my researches is a book on tuning of the 1960s which looks at tuning ET and a very mild meantone as a valid alternative. In the tuning of ET the writer proposed starting on a black-key fifth in setting out  the temperament on the basis that the first fifths tuned tended to veer unconsciously more towards pure and that one ended up with more even ET by using the technique. Starting with white keys those fifths would otherwise be purer suggesting prevalent unequal tuning even unconsciously as late as the middle of the last century.

It's in this way that the purity of equal temperament as it manifests now has been a change only in the last 50 to 70 years and that your tweak in unequal directions is welcome.

Best wishes

David P

--
    +44 1342 850594

• 15.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 10 days ago

Ron, indeed that is true but colored nevertheless. 

Btw, do you have a system of aural checks for KV2?

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 16.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 10 days ago

Steve,

If you were to become familiar with tuning EBVT (plenty of aural checks once you learn the ropes), you will immediately see the resemblance in the shape of KV1.3. I'm sure even greater resemblance in KV2.1 )I haven't tried that yet though. 

EBVT (by its nature) has numerous equal beating checks. Easy, once you know it.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 17.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 10 days ago

It is interesting to hear about these alternative tunings, with various offsets and adjustments and stretches from ET. My preference would be to hear an A-B (or A-B-C) comparison before targeting to implement the new tuning. Better yet a "blind" A-B comparison.

Can anyone put together and post an A-B comparison? I recently had access to Pianoteq that was MIDI-coupled with an inexpensive Roland keyboard and a good set of earphones and it was very interesting to analyze a Well Temperament in that environment. But I don't think that Pianoteq lets you customize/craft the temperament. 

Anyone have any ideas and access to an alternative to Pianoteq? With the right setup, I am hoping it would just take a few minutes to record the comparison. Choose a short piece to play, choose a piano like a Hamburg Steinway concert grand to simulate, select the piano characteristics like damper noise, and go. Regards, Norman. 

Norman Brickman
    Potomac Piano Service
    Potomac, Maryland
    potomacpiano@verizon.net
    https://potomacpiano.com
    (301) 983.9321

• 18.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 10 days ago
    Yes - Pianoteq is excellent and a brilliant way to experience a flavour of temperaments and part of my research that led me to the conclusions about a useful temperament to adopt. It's a very helpful research tool.

However, all electronic simulations really don't capture that interaction between influences of vibrations travelling through the soundboard and therefore how a sound holds together. How a sound holds together is why I veer towards tunings with many perfect fifths and as many near perfect thirds as possible.

Accordingly when testing a temperament through electronic synthesis one has to be aware of the effect being more audible in the real sets of strings that are going to be tuned in a piano so one has to choose a stronger temperament on the electronic simulation to get the same effect as a milder temperament on an acoustic instrument.

Some years back in 2019 I organised a seminar about tuning which perhaps some might find helpful
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k61eHv9piMc was the morning session and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5cqS8ztMvY in the afternoon. In this recording one of the participants' voices had to be disguised as a matter of commercial sensitivity and
    https://youtu.be/18nzfGzdAD0 is an edit without the voice disguise.

The seminar included four other participants, two professional pianists, a professional pianist and harpsichordist, and an organ builder and choral expert.

The demonstrations included some from Pianoteq but also real instruments in unequal and one in equal temperament. Later with one of the participants we did a test of a large Bosendorfer in equal and unequal https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQZTd-mWDek

When choosing a temperament it's important to consider the why, the reason why one's departing from standard tuning, the end purpose for that departure and then to grab it by the jugular without half measures.

Best wishes

David P

--
    +44 1342 850594

• 19.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 10 days ago
    Norman wrote:

"But I don't think that Pianoteq lets you customize/craft the temperament."

Tunings within Pianoteq are infinitely customizable. Pianoteq supports multiple tuning protocols including but not limited to Scala and MTS-ESP. Pianoteq instruments can be tuned note by note with a precision that is for all practical purposes unlimited.

• 20.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 10 days ago

However...

I'm with David P. on this. There's more to it than simply frequencies and intervals. These frequencies and intervals affect the way the soundboard vibrates, creating a total experience that can only fully be felt by being there in person. 

That's just my personal opinion based on experience. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 21.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 10 days ago
    I was commenting on the extent to which custom tunings are possible with Pianoteq.

But, as a matter of fact, with almost 15 years of experience with Pianoteq, I have repeatedly shown that Pianoteq can be indistinguishable from recordings of a real piano. Pianoteq is a remarkable accomplishment, and demonstrating different tunings is well within Pianoteq’s proven capabilities.

• 22.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 10 days ago
    Yes - Pianoteq is extraordinary but as soon as one enters this realm results depend on the speakers one's using and my experience even in striving for the best possible recordings and striving for the best possible microphones and reproduction through the best possible loudspeakers is that a recording doesn't match or equate to experience of the instrument live.

There's something vibrant about a living instrument. On recordings I'm often able still to enjoy an equal tempered instrument but in live performance the living instrument is another matter.

A good pianist's performance also will be modified by the tactile experience of the keys. A midi keyboard, however weighted, and sound through loudspeakers might be well compared with a recording, but pale before a real instrument itself.

From memory I think Pianoteq reproduces a late 19th century Bechstein . . . but with the best setup possible in the same room as the real instrument from my side-by-side experience it's apparent that the sound is a good guide, but not the real thing.

There's no workaround for tuning a real instrument.

Best wishes

David P

--
    +44 1342 850594

• 23.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 10 days ago

It sounds like all agree -- Pianoteq is a great tool. Varying opinion on whether a real acoustic piano present provides a significantly more realistic sound – due perhaps to phase and soundboard eigenmode type influences when using the real instrument. I was certainly very impressed with Pianoteq + Roland in my one exposure to it, as I indicated.

It also sounds like the ultimate target for quickly creating A-B temperament comparisons might require an all-digital hybrid piano (like from Kawai or Yamaha) + Pianoteq. Not only does the hybrid use a soundboard, but lots of physical and musical characteristics can be adjusted – including tactile characteristics of keys and pedals. 

But in the meantime, David – want to create an A-B comparison with Pianoteq while we wait for a hybrid to become available? Hopefully you can knock it out in a few minutes, and we can all then draw conclusions on its quality and, of course, on use of different temperaments. As I indicated, pick a short piece of music. I would suggest doing anywhere from 2 to 4 or more recordings: Ron's modified ET, Pure octave ET, P12 ET, a Well Temperament, etc.It will be interesting to hear. Regards, Norman.

Norman Brickman
    Potomac Piano Service
    Potomac, Maryland
    potomacpiano@verizon.net
    (301) 983.9321

• 24.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 9 days ago
    A demo is easier said than done. To some extent it's not just about how a piano sounds with a few notes and perhaps how we perceive those notes against the norm with which we're familiar but how the instrument facilitates the making of music. The pianist who I was fortunate enough to be working with a few weeks ago is in Italy rather than on the doorstep in England and for him the tuning that I do is a tool in his performance that he's most frustrated to be without most of the time in standard venues. 

A long time ago my mentor and I tried out an Equal Beating temperament and, although the pianist mentioned happened to be around and quite liked it, I found the consistency of beats something that called my ears to lock in on and I found the effect rather obtrusive.

Recently I've been in discussion with an interesting tuning connoisseur elsewhere and he observes:
    "Steinway has always been very against ETD to tune their pianos. They insist (at least at the factory) that all tunings are done by ear. And there is a reason for it. And also they know that contiguous 3rds method for aural tuning is the most accurate. But they insist to tune only with 4ths and 5ths. Because when you TRY to tune ET with 5ths and 4ths, you will NEVER succeed! and the piano will sound good. So in other words Steinway says "tune by ear, in a way that is not possible to achieve true ET, but please try, but we know you will end up with unequal temperament, which sounds the best! Sadly over the past few years, they actually endorse ETD and if tuning by ear, they endorse contiguous 3rds which result in much closer ET, which makes their pianos sound dry."

This bears out Ron's tuning and what he's doing and people's experience of it sounding better than ET.

With ET, the whole system is so unrelated, almost deliberately dissociating scale notes from harmonics, and to do it perfectly an ETD causes all to deliberately miss. Aural tunings start to cause things to line up, and this is why also the offsets that I measured in the "Equal" temperament set by the chime bars of the 1896 Pleyel Chromatic harp https://youtu.be/x2sFDSRYeIw?t=426 are interesting. It's not quite the exactitude of modern ETD tuned ET, departing by up to 3 cents or so.  Details are below and upon examination its variance is with purpose.

The comparison between the Erard and the Pleyel harps are interesting because the reduction of the numbers of available modes of vibration from 11 down to 7 caused the Erard to be more focussed and therefore more resonant. The greater complication in the Pleyel with the extra strings caused the resonances to be less focussed and in the Equal Temperament to which it was tuned caused a lower resonance level and lower volume to be produced. The result was that by the 1930s the chromatic harp all but died out. It wasn't for reasons of preference of musicians but for the reason that in orchestras for every Erard harp three Pleyel harps were necessary as they weren't as loud or penetrating. 

I've never done a followup video about resonance on the Pleyel in different tuning systems but a long time ago posted frequency spectra which resulted showing the way in which unequal temperament put harmonics onto scale notes and scale notes onto harmonics, clearing up the frequencies between the notes making the sound spectra less muddled and how that also spiked the intensity of the note frequencies.

Theoretically even the slight deviations of the Pleyel Chromatic Temperament gave marginal improvements to the focus of the sound over ET. Ron's temperament and others of its nature do likewise.

Perhaps rather than using electronic simulation the better way to test different temperaments would be to use a strip-mute tuning just one of the three strings per note to enable a temperament to be set at speed and heard in its interrelation with the rest of the instrument even if perhaps only the central four octaves of the instrument are tuned.

Best wishes

David P

Pleyel Chromatic Harp temperament 1896
    starting on C
    Whilst firmly in the era of "Equal Temperament" it's interesting to see that these offsets are not random variations or inaccuracies. The temperament displays characteristics of the stronger common chromatic temperaments with a sharp C and flat C#, a sharp F and flat F#, and a narrow G Ab which gives rise to the standard expected chromatic colour contrasts in C minor and F minor. 

--
    +44 1342 850594

• 25.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 9 days ago

A demo certainly would have some value - I believe someone who used to post on pianoworld (grandpianoman?) owned a number of player pianos and posted recordings of the player systems tuned in multiple tunings. 

I've always found that it is easier to feel the difference while playing, rather than listening. As a listener, with musical examples, most people will accept stronger temperaments than if they sit down to play.

Here is another "nearly equal" with a different goal - to syncronize the combined beats between the M3/m3 in a triad. An interesting spreadsheet creation. The bottom part of the graph shows the ratios. 

For me, I found playing this that it felt "unsettled" in a way similar to how I feel when playing any of the P12 tunings. Of course my "unsettled" could be another persons "vibrant". So many areas of our work can be percieved as a positive or a negative...
    And to answer an earlier question - no, my Koval variable series doesn't have any aural sequences that I am aware of - it also came from spreadsheet work. 
    Ron Koval

Ron Koval
    CHICAGO IL

• 26.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 8 days ago

No one is asking the most important questions. It is the elephant in the room. 

1) How many tuners discussing temperament are actually tuning for world-class concert pianists who are playing the full gamut of the literature? 

2) Would Evgeny Kissin, Martha Argerich, Yuga Wang, Yefim Bronfman, (the list goes on) prefer non-equal temperament? Emphatically, NO. Challenge me. Maybe one playing pre-Romantic, possibly. More on this later...

3) The foundation of music is the 5th and octave, not the major 3rd. At least half of the literature prior to the 20th Century (before atonality) was written in a minor key. Some of the most profound and moving pieces are in minor keys. Both major and minor keys of tonal music are securely set on the 5th and octave. If the 5th and octave are 'beat-less' as in Pure 12th tuning where they are balanced out, that makes the overall piano neutral / unbiased to the full gamut of music. It becomes even more important once we get past 1850 in the chromatic late-Romantic period, and even yet more important once we cross the bridge into the the early 20th Century with Bartok, Stravinsky, Schoenberg, and beyond. 

4) Let me be just 'blunt': non-ET is not acceptable to the ears of 'most' fully professional full-literature pianists. I stand on that ground. 

5) I coached a concert pianist for 32 years. They demanded a neutrally tuned piano. When the tuner introduced to Pure12th tuning on their Steinway Hamburg D, the pianist said that was IT! They could 'easily' hear it. Think even about the piano in accompanying a solo artist. The soloist can always adjust to the piano. The piano cannot do the adjusting. The pianist played the full literature from Bach to atonal 20th Century literature.

6) The more I keep reading on these threads about tuning, I just keep asking myself if we are beating a dead horse, i.e., demanding non-ET on modern concert instruments with major artists. David Pinnegar will keep arguing for non-ET. David, that's fine. I respect you, but you are not Evgeny Kissin doing the full gamut of the playing for the concert stage. Just keep that in mind. On that subject...

7) I concede that if we want to play a Beethoven Sonata on a Broadwood, that's fine. There are fine recordings of such. They are not the recordings people buy. People want Alfred Brendel's Beethoven's, for example, played on a Steinway Hamburg D with ET. It is the norm for good reason, all of which I keep saying and it tends to land on deaf ears (pun intended) because we are not addressing the issues cited above.

With full respect to those who 'prefer' non-ET on modern 9' concert grands, good luck getting a top tier concert pianist to like it. 

Best,

Steve 

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 27.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 8 days ago

Steve, since the pianists and pianos you're speaking of represent maybe .1% of the pianos and pianists we are tuning for, it's hardly the elephant in the room. Clearly ET is the standard by far but there are many tuners who offer a palette of tunings. Chopin did not compose for ET, that modern pianos obscure the coloration he created in his compositions is problematic. That's our loss. The main thing we can say about modern renditions on modern pianos is that it's louder. 

It's a big world. Many tastes, many ears.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 28.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 8 days ago

The problem here is that we don’t want to acknowledge the modern standard. That standard is represented by that 0.1% you talk about. I know a tuner who used to tune for Alfred Brendel. He also tuned for Vladimir Ashkenazy. I assure you, he did not use anything other than an equal temperament system. Regarding Chopin, there is so much chromaticism in some of his pieces. I have no doubt that had Chopin had a tuner and a modern 9' grand he would have loved ET, especially Pure12 ET. Who among the great Chopin artists like Rubinstein, Arrau, etc would like that old system on a modern grand? None of them, I assure you. I even assert that the great modern pianist who plays Chopin would be nauseated by it on a non-ET modern 9’ piano. They might hold their nose and play it on a Pleyel as a one-off. Let's also say that a small fraction of a modern program is exclusively Chopin. What are you going to do with Scriabin, Bartok, Prokofiev? Come on!

I just find this entire obsession with non-ET to be 0.01% of interest, and only on an historic instrument. I’m speaking as a professional musician trained in the great traditions. I just don’t know what’s up tuners who keep beating this drum. Their customers generally aren't educated enough to know better and very few are playing Broadwood's or Pleyel's. I think most of these 'customers' who are the 99.9% have not been trained as concert pianists from a major conservatory. I would even say the tuner is 'deceiving them' for that reason! It is our job to not drag them into some old system that is dead and try to resurrect it. Are these 'tuners' just playing games with their curiosities? 

Steve

• 29.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 8 days ago
    Dear Steven

It's clear that there are a lot of assumptions.

The quality of musicians for whom I tune is apparent in the playing in many of my recordings on video.

The Pleyel Chromatic Harp of 1896 with fixed pitch chime-bars to which the instrument was to be tuned fixes a near equal but not equal temperament common for French instruments at the turn of the 20th century. That the temperament displays characteristics traceable to stronger historical temperaments indicates that the instrument's departure from exact equal wasn't a matter of error but deliberate.

That a change occurred within living memory of our previous generation, whether that change have been for the better or not a subject of debate but interesting that it is so recent, would explain why my teacher probably born at the time of the first World War heard differences in keys but by the time he came to be teaching me none were to be heard that I could discern.

The performers that you mention are of the 20th century and conditioned by piano manufacturers who had an interest in using tuning to put a gloss on their brand and in a way the sharpness of sound, not of pitch, brilliance, was an extension of the pitch wars of the 19th century when pitch kept going up with the intention that higher pitch sounded more brilliant. 

It's not unreasonable to conclude therefore that the strive to exactitude of equal temperament was an aberration of the 20th century. For performers travelling internationally the international standard of equal temperament was as helpful and important as the international adopted standard of 440 pitch, both I suspect coming in largely simultaneously. That doesn't mean that the equal temperament is more musical.

That music depends upon the harmonies of 5ths and not 3rds is also an assumption. The Tierce is a common organ stop and before introduction of ET it was sweet. Couperin wrote pieces for Tierce en Taille - effectively sweetness in the body. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XuiOctNf1M The major third didn't die and many romantic orchestral pieces end with a chord including a prominent exposed major third.

Whilst P12 tuning allows only expression and harmony of the 5ths, this is an extreme in the exclusion of the harmonious major third. This is why the perfect 5th based unequal temperaments achieve a magic giving the perfect 5th or perfect 12th tonality, Pythagorean, in the remote keys but give the warmth of the Meantone tonality with perfect 3rds in the home keys.

The nearly equal temperaments keep a vestige of key flavour and if equal is to be adopted, are important for that key flavour reason.

That the change to the mathematical perfection of 12th Root 2 or 19th Root 3 temperaments has been so very recent in the history of our instrument and its music is good reason to revisit the change and re-explore.

That P12 tuning creates resonance is beyond debate but so also do the perfect 5th based unequals. That's why also the perfect 5th based unequals enhance the magnificence of a long Fazioli. Where we share common ground is that resonance is important to tone and to power, important in the concert hall, but also important where we have a small instrument which we want to sound sweet whilst also delivering power. At the beginning of the video introducing the Pleyel harp I demonstrated resonance with the Kakaki which rather shocked me upon discovery and it's that sort of effect that a resonant tuning can have within the piano. It's for that reason that enthusiasm for P12 tuning is understandable and forgivable whilst near equal with key colour nuances also has its place.

Best wishes

David P
    --
    +44 1342 850594

• 30.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 7 days ago
    Dear Steven

Further to assumptions - 
    " I even assert that the great modern pianist who plays Chopin would be nauseated by it on a non-ET modern 9' piano. What are you going to do with Scriabin, Bartok, Prokofiev? Come on!"

In answer, simply play them!

Here's the nauseation test on a 9' piano 

Carlo Vine Sonata https://youtu.be/mnTDkj5dYYc?t=4503 Fazioli - A recording of this on Yamaha C7 isn't significantly different, although I was asked to voice down one strident note
    Kapustin 8th Sonata https://youtu.be/Nq9sb4t3N6o?t=6934 Steinway D 

And on an instrument of only 240 length

Prokofiev - 
    Five melodies with violin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L-sbXa6h9o and below all very old recordings so tuning still in the experimental phase
    7th Sonata https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkXlvZR7Oc8 (not a favourite piano here)
    There's also an early recording of the 6th sonata "Col Pugno" which I'll find if anyone's interested. Temperament really isn't of great importance with these - if the piano's in tune at the beginning it's more a matter of luck than judgment if it's in tune at the end.

John Cage and Debussy

Berg 

Gilbert Rosso

For Berg and Prokofiev, would anyone be nauseated by any temperament used? The only criterion is that the instrument should sound as its best.

The level of reverence expressed towards "the standard modern tuning" is demonstrative of it having become a Religion. 

According to https://www.academia.edu/91530991/Through_the_Eyes_of_Plato_in_Music_and_Deep_Memory (which is well worth the entertainment of reading) no less a figure than Plato, apparently, would have agreed. There's meat enough in that analysis with which to cause endless mirth.  

Equal Temperament is hailed therein as "Celestial Tuning" and even the author countenances the contrary. For instance, page 160:
    "Over the last 300 years, civilization has
    been immersed in the celestial harmonies with little apparent affect. One possible alternative is to wait longer for the celestial music to take hold. A second alternative suggests that Plato, Scripture, and Hinduism may have gotten it exactly backwards. What if civilization is being lured onto the allegorical rocks, not by the Siren's song, but by the Fate's tempered song? Could Ernest possibly be reporting a Platonic mis-calculation? Could it be that Equal Temperament fools the ear but not the soul? To play Devil's Advocate, could Equal Temperament be a kind of Trojan Horse that eats away at our sense of inner peace and well-being? Could it possibly be that Equal Temperament itself contributes to the root-cause of the world's current state of chaos, as the cause of further  
    degeneration within each successive generation?"

Under penance of full condemnation, heaven help anyone who dares to suggest even slight variances from the celestial realm. 

Nearly Equal is the subversive wedge in the door splitting true Communism between the Keys apart. It's a matter of danger to the State and held to be punishable as Treason by the Tribune of Scriabin, Bartok and Prokofiev. Is their Judgment one of guilty?

Hmmm . . . :-)

Best wishes

David P

--
    +44 1342 850594

• 31.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 7 days ago

I began experimenting with historical temperaments about 10 years after learning to tune. Perhaps you recall the sensation after learning yourself that you began to listen to the piano differently than before you learned to tune... Working with alternate temperaments caused me to begin to hear the piano in yet another way; just one more step in my learning journey.

Initially, I thought that there was some sort of "better/worse" comparison to these approaches; that is, keys near the top of the circle being more consonant should sound better than those near the bottom. It took a jazz piano prof to tell me that he really enjoyed the sound of the remote keys and the journey back and forth. He told me it allowed him not only to play the piano, but to play WITH the piano. That's something worthwhile to give to piano owners at any level. Too often I hear of techs experimentings (as I did) first with a full-strength temperament and finding the change from ET too much to accept. 

I shared this nearly equal concept to give an easy way (with ETDs) for newer techs to learn a bit more about the effect even slight adjustments to the tuning can have on how the piano plays. If you find it also helps with your listening skills or gathering more appreciative clients, so much the better!

Ron Koval

Ron Koval
    CHICAGO IL

• 32.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 6 days ago

Steven,

Hmmm... many tastes, many ears... This whole discussion reminds me of a long ago conversation I had with the late Dr. Albert Sanderson of Accutuner fame. We were both then members of the Boston PTG chapter, and our chapter meeting one month took place at the factory of a tracker organ builder who followed historical examples in his designs. Forget the name - it was sometime before I left Boston in 1996... Someone asked the builder how he tuned his organs -and said "meantone". Common in pre 19th-century organs. This greatly upset Dr. Sanderson, and he proceeded to recount many of the arguments advanced by our friend Steve N plus a few others, to the effect that the equal temperament was the pinnacle of musical development, and why go back to obsolete systems and so far and so on. I remember staying outside that factory deep into the night and familiarizing him with some of the musical properties of the earlier temperaments, some of the literature complaining about the "ugly" equal temperament by older 19th-century musicians, and the key differences (and the emotions they were said to represent) that are obscured by equal temperament tuning. I don't know whether this conversation was a factor, but a short time later Dr. Sanderson published the offsets for a whole slew of historical temperaments for the Accutuner. I guess his highly rigorous scientific mind and engineering brilliance were able to accept the simple fact that there are many ears, many tastes, and a dogma is just that - a dogma, no matter how many brilliant arguments one can muster in its support. 

Then there was my client, a Boston pianist with perfect pitch (not familiar at all with the historical performance practices)  who came across a viol consort playing out on the street - playing in just intonation (i.e., pure triads). She said she never heard anything so beautiful in her life, and wished her piano could sound like that. I had to tell her, that's pretty much impossible for music as she knows it... You can make all the intellectual arguments you want, but as we said - many ears, many tastes. Or is that backwards?

Israel Stein RPT
    P.O. Box 68141
    Jerusalem, Israel 9168002
    510-558-0777
    istein248@gmail.com

• 33.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 6 days ago
    While I was at the University of Alabama, we hired a new violin professor who was he was going to give a short recital to the faculty and students at the beginning of the semester. 

We had 2 D's on the concert stage, each with a slightly different tone. I had also just learned how to tune a historical temperament on my SATIV, like Israel mentioned. I tuned one D in equal temp and the other in a HT. At the rehearsal before the recital, I asked the violin professor and a piano professor to play both instruments and decide which one they wanted for the recital. They both agreed that they liked the D with the HT better. 

After the recital I retuned the piano to equal, but it was interesting that the HT won out.  

Wim

• 34.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 5 days ago

All, 

I just received an email from a member who 'challenged me' on my claims of achieving aurally 'beat-less' results on my 5ths and octaves. He declared I am 'wrong'. So, as an engineer, I like 'precision' in my written descriptions rather than 'subjective' ones. I decided to take the actual recorded results (from the sensor and iRig interface into the digital recording system) to capture my 5ths and octaves with Matlab. I got very close to the theoretical -1.23 cents on the 5ths and +1.23 cents on the octaves. All within a few hundredths of a cent here and there. The measurements were made in a Window of Time after the attack of about 1 sec capture length, using my Freeze Frame window concept, of course. 

Subjectively, Paul McCloud declared the recording 'inhuman'. Kent Swafford and I are as usual on the 'same page' on Pure 12th ET. 

Let's all agree that we will never all agree on the 'subjective' part of the preferences. We should 'tolerate' our subjective differences. But as an engineer and researcher, I can say that it is possible to achieve a near beat-less result in these intervals. Some may still prefer counting 3rds, 10ths, 17ths. That is a given and it comes from the tradition of aural tuning. I get that. I say, using the advanced tech, if you get the Pure12th done correctly, the 3rds, 10ths, 17ths will 'take care of themselves' but you may not like the tiny little bit of extra stretch. I say, subjectively and musically, that half of the literature is in a minor key or half of the chords are minor overall, and the major 3rds do not bother me as I practice he literature. I don't think it bothered Horowitz or Rubinstein either! 

To each his own, but I did want to clarify the precision result and how it was done.

Best and kindness here!

Steve N.

Steven Norsworthy
    PianoSens
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 35.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 5 days ago

Back to the topic...

I have found that working with alternate temperaments also changed how I listened to the piano. Similar to the way my listening changed after first learning to tune. I began experimenting about 10 years after beginning in business. At first, as I looked at the graphs and tried to understand the value of what might be happening, I thought about "better" vs. "worse" using the circle of fifths. That was until I heard back from a jazz prof who really enjoyed moving into the remote keys for more 'spice'. He told me about the difference between "playing the piano" and "playing WITH the piano". That stuck with me as I continued to work on developing my own temperament.

Anyway, for those interested in trying out a nearly equal, it is helpful to look at the M3 range on the left side of the graphs. That gives a quick representation of the "strength" of a temperament. You can see that compared to a 13.7 cent width for ET M3, the KV1.3 has a range of 11.9-15.2. This is much less than the 9.5-16.8 of EBVT. (that's even stronger than the KV2.1)  If you have a piano at home and are willing and able to play it daily, go ahead and tune to the KV1.3 first and play it for a week or so. Then tune it back to your best ET and THEN see what difference you notice. But it would also be helpful to tune the nearly equal for your home tunings to let your ears become familiar with playing that temperament. Then when you return to ET, you should be able to understand better the results of those small differences to the music.

Enjoy!

Ron Koval

Ron Koval
    CHICAGO IL

• 36.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 3 days ago

Ron, I did just that with KV2 last week. It's pretty ear opening and the contrast is teaching me some things about ET as well.

Thanks!

~S

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 37.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 3 days ago

Ron and all, there are a lot of different temperaments touched on in this thread for the piano. I would like to participate, beginning with hearing the differences. To actually appreciate the audible differences among temperaments takes tuning time when working with acoustic pianos, regardless of whether one is an aural or a visual tuner. Can we standardize on a digital way to easily/efficiently share the details of KV1.3, KV2.1, Octave ET, P12 ET, Steve's latest P12 ET, Werckmeister Well Temperament, Kellner Modified Well Temperament, Equal Beating Victorian Temperament (if I have that right), and of course hundreds more – this list just touches the surface of piano temperaments. 

My suggestion is that we standardize on the Scala freeware. https://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/ It appears to be made for this very function of sharing temperaments. I know that it is compatible with Pianoteq, and probably many other MIDI controllers. https://www.modartt.com/user_manual?product=pianoteq&lang=en With Pianoteq it looks like one, in turn, needs the "Pianoteq Standard" version (for their "advanced tuning"), but perhaps Scala is usable stand-alone? It is a learning curve for me, but some of you can probably immediately explain exactly what is needed. Of course in the MIDI keyboard world there is a lot of extra functionality that we do not need to get into: piano brands and models to simulate, tactile keyboard and pedal feedback, additional pedal functionality, felt pianos, instrument noises (like key release and damper noise), and on and on. Let's stick with just temperament on a "plain" virtual piano! Any takers, I hope? Regards, Norman.

Norman Brickman
    Potomac Piano Service
    Potomac, Maryland
    potomacpiano@verizon.net
    (301) 983.9321

• 38.  RE: Nearly equal

Posted 3 days ago
    Norman - yes - great idea and commendable . . . 

But the relationship between performer and music is complicated. The good performer will be influenced by what they hear. This is why in the past people have tried to do things with midi files sounding through temperaments and it's really musically meaningless. 

Our instrument is one step in the chain from composer to instrument to vibrations to performer that then leads to music that conveys what the composer intended. 

I maintain that piano manufacturers in the peak of saturation of instruments into people's homes chose equal temperament not only to bedazzle the public with the glistening sound but so that people couldn't play Chopsticks on the black notes with wide major thirds and then judge the instrument to be bad. :-)

So it's one thing simulating an instrument and tuning to the extent that it can - but compared to a real instrument doesn't - but another experiencing what a good musician might do with it.

This is potentially an arena for a Convention where perhaps we might get four or five similar pianos tuned Equal and the others tuned by others of us specialised in tuning brands of unequal - but then also fund a good international pianist familiar with equal and degrees of unequal to play repertoire. 

There's an enormous groundswell of suppressed demand for non-equal tuning. I've just taken a phone call from Paris asking me about a late 18th Century barrel organ in my possession interesting both for performance practice and tuning. Whilst having sent him links to the recordings as well also to the Mozart Fantasias for Mechanical Clock reconstructed in Meantone, YouTube kindly ran on to another of my recordings https://youtu.be/AHAZjcPmtrs?t=1567 which perhaps is interesting as the sound is so calming. This is the point that I make of tuning and playing with purpose. We have to ask what the tuning's there to do. Only then can we find an objective choice rather than a subjective preference. Another indicator of non-equal temperament admirers hiding in the woodwork is exemplified on https://www.facebook.com/groups/27047762935/posts/10161178594547936/ and the conversation I had with  Clavineum Rotenburg-Wümme who tunes his Bechstein to Kirnberger III. 

Earlier I referred to the mainstream manufacturer and concert hall's blinkered obsession for Equal Temperament as a Religion. Just as heretics are to be silenced, a Devotee asked moderators to suppress that post, true to style. It's simply _impossible_ to get a non-equal tuned instrument for performance on any London stage or in Italy either where those responsible for supplying or hiring out particularly Steinways for concerts will not allow their instruments to be retuned non-equally or by anyone else and with technicians unwilling to adopt anything outside the realms of their religion.

"Oh I'm perfectly open minded" responds one "but there's no demand for it." "We haven't been asked for it in thirty years" - and that's because it's not been available and when performers have tried, the answer's normally "no".

It was in this spirit that a few years ago I organised a day's seminar in the UK and there's really no substitute for doing this live, with live instruments and live musicians. Meanwhile there is an increasing plethora of recordings by people on YouTube advocating and demonstrating temperaments but sadly not always with the same levels of musicianship.

Among a quick search of proponents, not only Carl Radford but Trevor Stevenson comes to mind but a Japanese channel has made interesting comparisons 

Best wishes

David P

--
    +44 1342 850594