Voicing

View Only
  • 1.  Over tones on isolated notes

Posted 10-24-2023 12:55

I have two newer Boston pianos, a grand and an upright that have a very prominent ring in just 2 notes in each piano. In the grand is in the bass wrapped strings and in the upright is is G#3 and A3. I have tried leveling the strings, mating the hammers, voicing the hammers and checking for loose braiding in the waste ends. Nothing has had any effect on the overtone ring.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should check 

------------------------------
    Rex Roseman
    Norton OH
    (330) 289-2948

• 2.  RE: Over tones on isolated notes

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 10-24-2023 12:58

Check for damper ring from bass dampers. Very irritating!

Paul

• 3.  RE: Over tones on isolated notes

Posted 10-25-2023 01:38

With clean hands check the bass section for sympathetic vibrations indicating a weak damper there.  If there is nothing there look for a sympathetic resonance in a free section of treble string in the non-speaking sections.

Blaine Hebert RPT
    Duarte CA
    (626) 390-0512

• 4.  RE: Over tones on isolated notes

Posted 10-25-2023 09:06
    Are both pianos in the same room? Is it the same note of the scale? Sounds like it might be time to check around the room.

—Cy—

• 5.  RE: Over tones on isolated notes

Posted 10-25-2023 20:52
    Two different locations. The grand note is in the bass with a wrapped string, and the upright is in the A3. 

• 6.  RE: Over tones on isolated notes

Posted 10-26-2023 02:11
    Is it the actual strings that are ringing through rather than a sympathetic ring as Blaine suggests? If so, adjust the dampers to the strings. Maybe one end of the damper is pressing harder than the other end, or the dampers are too close to a node.

Vince Mrykalo  드림

An error in thinking does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.

OSU  Greenwood School of Music

Visit my blog at:  http://mrykalopiano.blogspot.com/