CAUT

• 1.  Overtones on a Boston 6' Grand

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 08-25-2022 00:18

I just got the following email from one of my clients (a conservatory):

"We just purchased our Boston piano this summer and you tuned it in the month of July [July 13]. We are having an issue with A2. It has an odd overtone (you hear F). Please advise."

That's all the information I have at the moment. After tuning I played the piano for a few minutes and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. I told them to contact me immediately if something comes up and today was the first I heard from them. I'm going to set up a time to go over and check it out. Any ideas on what would cause this and how to correct it, if possible?

------------------------------
    Benjamin Sanchez, RPT
    Piano Technician / Artisan
    (256) 947-9999
    www.professional-piano-services.com
    ------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Overtones on a Boston 6' Grand

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 08-25-2022 02:28

Hi, Benjamin.

Try playing and holding down the note, damping the strings with a finger. If you still hear the F, it's probably a sympathetic vibration from one or more waste lengths. With the F in your ear, walk around plucking the waste lengths until you hear some ringing at that pitch. Then damp them all (with an arm?) and have someone else play the A2. If the F is gone, first check to see if the existing wrapping in the area is loose; if it isn't, wrap a strip of keybushing cloth through the offending waste lengths. It damps a lot more than ordinary stringing braid.