CAUT

Expand all | Collapse all

Piano Tech position at State University

• 1.  Piano Tech position at State University

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 04-27-2023 13:39
    Hi,
    I've been the piano tech at UMass Amherst for the past 21 years and last August I let them know that this would be my last year. I've been an independent contractor and they want to move to a salaried full time position. All well and good. They've proposed a position with a salary of $77,000 and benefits. This is what came back to them:
    --------

I would recommend writing the position description and submitting it so that we can figure out what classification is best suited for the job. We did a little bit of market research, and piano tuner positions at other universities were paid significantly less than the $77,000 proposed in the department's budget request.

--------
    They're looking for guidance on how to respond. If anyone has been through this and has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated. 

By the way, the position has not been approved (obviously) so please don't go looking for a way to apply for it. When, and if, it's approved, I'll post it here.

thanks,
    Aaron 

------------------------------------
    Aaron Bousel
    413-253-3846

• 2.  RE: Piano Tech position at State University

Posted 04-27-2023 15:13
    One piece of advice I would give the school is for that kind of salary, the school should be able attract a seasoned, at least 5 years, piano tuner who has some rebuilding experience in addition to some concert work, and possibly even an RPT. 

• 3.  RE: Piano Tech position at State University

Posted 04-27-2023 15:41

Aaron,

While it may be true that there are many full-time technician jobs posted for Less than $77,000 plus benefits, your administrator should know that a great many of those jobs have gone unfilled, sometimes for years. And even at the somewhat slightly higher starting salary offered, I seriously doubt they would get someone with your ability.

Best, 

Alan 

------------------------------
    Alan Eder, RPT
    Herb Alpert School of Music
    California Institute of the Arts
    Valencia, CA

• 4.  RE: Piano Tech position at State University

Posted 04-27-2023 18:03

Hi Aaron,

Here's my thoughts, hopefully they're helpful. As Wim and Alan pointed out, lower salaries should be considered "beginner experience" position and often remained unfilled for a long time. If they want someone with experience and expertise, they need to pay at least what that person could earn in the open market. If benefits are valued at $13k, the position essentially pays $90k. That's at least doable for a technician with a few years experience of building a business. 

A quick Google search showed the average household income in Amherst as being $100,495 a year. So the proposed position does pay significantly less than the average household income for that area already. If they lower it any more, it won't be sustainable for the cost of living in the area, at least not as a full time position without the necessity of side work.

An unrelated thought that you should definitely not pass along, but possibly plays into the response they got: $77k plus benefits is more than some professors make. While I know so many professors who are wonderful people, I also know some who have the mindset that a "lowly technician" shouldn't make more than someone with decades of academic education and multiple letters after their name. Recommending they pay someone a realistic salary for the job may very well bring some sticker shock, especially if one's pride is a bit injured by it. I'm not saying that's the case here, but I know people that, if this came from them, it would definitely be the case. 

Benjamin Sanchez, RPT
    Piano Technician / Artisan
    (256) 947-9999
    www.professional-piano-services.com

• 5.  RE: Piano Tech position at State University

Posted 04-27-2023 22:18
    I did a lot of searching for piano tech salaries a few years ago to make the case to my department to up the HR classification of the job. I found that only a small number of positions are public record, findable on the website, and in many cases, where I knew there were two techs, only the lower level one was listed. The lead tech was probably salaried. 

It is true, however, that the average university job is around $50K, to the best of my knowledge. And it is also true what others have said, that those rates attract very few or no applicants. Some take years to be filled, others are filled by pretty raw beginners. 

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    "Believe those who seek the truth; doubt those who find it." Gide

• 6.  RE: Piano Tech position at State University

Posted 04-28-2023 08:15
    Hi-

I don't know if it's helpful, but my position topped out at just over $70,000 when I retired last fall and as far as I know they are prepared to keep the classification at that same level.  Even at that, the position is still open and has had very few applicants.  

p.s. I hope I don't regret sharing that info, but it is what it is.  Salaries should be more public. 

best,
    Dennis Johnson, formerly at St. Olaf College.  

• 7.  RE: Piano Tech position at State University

Posted 04-29-2023 09:13
    This has really been an interesting read to hear from so many of you. To your thoughts I have a few observations.
    1) any institutional work, to be successful, must give the technician authority to make routine decisions about what is needed to maintain the instruments. My way of doing this is to charge an hourly rate, and they offload the decision making to me. Payment per tuning or per service means being in a " Mother May I?" situation, which will lead to the frustrations many of you expressed regarding institutional work. 
    2) We have to deal with the whole faculty, which is both a problem and an opportunity. Make friends by helping them out and they will support you, at least in a faculty governance school like NIU. On the other hand, you will also have to deal with faculty who, dealing with their own pressures, may be overly demanding. Does your director really want someone with little experience to be thrown to the lions? Then they will have to deal with both of you, and the admin folks have plenty of other issues to deal with. 
    3) It is our responsibility as techs in a school to make sure the salary range is high enough, that if we can not continue the school can attract quality candidates. Wage suppression isn't only something that happens to professors, it can happen to staff as well. Years ago, there was a report on salaries at the CSO. Sir George Solti was not the most highly paid employee. The head stage hand was. Why? Was he the best at carrying a music stand on and off stage? No, but he made sure that disasters would be avoided if at all possible. I have often heard stories of older techs who stopped raising their prices. When they died with a tuning hammer in their hands, a younger tech would come in and have to justify why they charged more than the previous tech with his/ her decades of experience. The school isn't going to go broke because they paid the piano tech too much. 
    I am asking for more hours next year, at a slightly higher hourly rate at NIU. I will continue to do so over the five years I hope to continue working at NIU, at which point they will have built into their budget a salary close to $100k for a full time tech plus benefits. The cool thing about benefits is that the School of Music budget doesn't pay for them, the University Administration does. That and a very decent retirement plan should attract good candidates to an area where the cost of living is lower than a NY, Boston or LA. There, a similar position would have to be double to afford housing.
    4) Fred is right- don't accept a figure from the school, tell them what it will cost to get you. If they can't do that then tell them what they will get for what they can afford, and do your best work. If they want to keep you, they will raise the hours to have more of your service. If they complain about the cost, there are other institutions to work for.

David Graham
    Graham Piano Service, Inc.
    512 S. Main St.
    Sycamore IL 60178
    815-353-5450

• 8.  RE: Piano Tech position at State University

Posted 04-29-2023 11:21
    I’d like to chime in on this discussion, looking at it in the rear-view mirror. I agree with every point made here by many people. The general undervaluing of technical work is a constant problem, and the lack of knowledge concerning good piano care by decision makers is also a problem.

I worked as a salary-line Piano Technician II at CSU Long Beach for just over 30 years. My point here will be that when considering a similar position, the value of a good benefits package is not being underestimated. This is admittedly a comment on tech positions, and won’t apply to contract work. The value of dollars-not-spent can be huge over a number of years, and it’s a bit invisible. If you could SEE those dollars, and bank them, they’d really add up.

When I signed on, (a) I had no intention of staying 30 years, and (b) I didn’t realize the value of what was advertised to be a 31% benefits package. I just lucked into it. I never did the math, but I spent 30 years of my life with my health care, dental and vision needs covered, plus a retirement plan run by the state, and options for personal 403(b) contributions. Much to my astonishment, my pension (yes, I know they’re rare any more) also covers Medicare costs for both of us, so I won’t pay for healthcare the rest of my life. Who knew?

I had a choice of about a dozen health plans, and ended up liking the one I chose (in ignorance) well enough that I’ve never changed it. It also let me sign up my husband for no extra charge. It was a high-quality plan - I know cheaper plans can be found if you’re young and healthy - and toward the end of my time there, my relatives and friends were paying well over $1000 a month for similar plans. I have no idea what the dental and vision would have cost over that length of time. My rough estimate would be that my out-of-pocket costs would have been a good $15,000-20,000 more per year without the benefits. Possibly a lot more, because my husband and I had some health care issues taken care of 100% by the plans, over those years.

There were also other hidden money-savers in the position, like professional leave to do things like PTG conferences, while on payroll. And a number of vacation and personal days to use, plus sick leave. Once I’d banked some sick leave, I could be ill for weeks and still be on full pay.

My salary was in the mid-50’s. Since the school and my position were linked to 23 other campuses, there wasn’t much wriggle room for negotiating. My lifestyle of choice was admittedly modest, so I was able to max out the 403(b) plan. I voluntarily started working a 10/4 plan (10 hours per day for 4 days) to work Fridays at a local dealership. That was my choice to expand my skillset, not particularly for financial reasons. That led into C&A work eventually, and then into the concert halls, and now that I’ve left the position, I’m working in several concert venues (by choice, not for need). It feels like my reward for being patient all those years. It’s my delayed gratification, if you will.

My point is that my yearly income plus benefits over the years didn't look like much, but the money-not-spent on health care etc. has really added up to be a very comfortable second phase for us.

Your results may vary. I am fully aware of my privilege here, and I don’t take if for granted.

Kathy

• 9.  RE: Piano Tech position at State University

Posted 04-29-2023 14:20
    I'll add a bit to Kathy's enumeration of the fringe benefits of a CAUT position. She mentioned time off for professional development, as in attending PTG conventions. Many of us get not only time off (with pay, on the clock) but expenses as well: travel, lodging, per diem. For me, that also applied to flying to Germany to spend two weeks at the Sauter factory as well as four week-long sessions at NYC Steinway, a week at Shigeru Kawai (California), a few regional seminars and more. 

Also very important for me was the opportunity to learn the craft thoroughly, by having carte blanche to try anything I wanted, on company time and with supplies and tools provided, and to follow up over years to see what worked and how it held up over time. Following yourself tuning day after day, week after week, is another priceless opportunity. Tune before a competition. How does it sound after ten pianists have shown off their power and velocity? If your skills can hold up to that, they can hold up to anything.

Following retirement, I have found ample use for these skills, prepping pianos for concert venues and lots of serious pianists and doing interesting concert work. 

A benefit particularly important for me was (and still is) full library privileges, including access to all kinds of online databases and journals as well as interlibrary loan. Psychologically, the joy of working for people who fully appreciated my work, where my work mattered, was priceless.

Yes, I could have made more money, but I have no regrets.

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    fssturm@comcast.net
    http://fredsturm.net
    www.artoftuning.com
    "All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone. " Blaise Pascal

• 10.  RE: Piano Tech position at State University

Posted 04-28-2023 08:16
    Yo Aaron,  

What has happened here is that you have spoiled them.  When they speak of "other institutions' they are probably not making any distinctions about the various quality and condition of the pianos at those institutions. 
     Most music school grads I have spoken with, (many of them over the years), mentioned how poor the condition was of the pianos they used in school. A mediocre salary is going to attract a mediocre tech, at best, and an incompetent one at worst.  
       The admin will need to compare the pianos at a school with an average priced tech and some of those that are paying a higher salary.  That is the only way to see how much quality they want to offer. They may have come to the idea that 'A tuner is a tuner', and consider us all  fungible. Sadly, learning the price of cutting corners is often an expensive lesson when it comes to a school's inventory of instruments.  
      It takes skill and experience  to produce durable repairs,  an organized plan of care,  and performance level tuning,  I don't think they are going to get it for less than $100,000 a year.  
    regards,

• 11.  RE: Piano Tech position at State University

Posted 04-28-2023 08:39
    "It takes skill and experience  to produce durable repairs,  an organized plan of care,  and performance level tuning,  I don't think they are going to get it for less than $100,000 a year"  
    regards, Ed. 

I think this might where the problem lies. As Ben pointed out, most professors don't get paid that much, and they will regret that the piano tuner gets paid more. 

On the other side of that coin, however, is that most professors are allowed, and do, make additional income from giving recitals, teaching privately, and having music or books sold. 

But then most music professors don't work 40 hours a week, or more, either. When I applied to a university which had a much lower salary, the chair told me I could make more money tuning on the side. So I asked him what 2nd job he had to supplement his income.  He didn't like that. 

But what we're seeing here, as with St. Olaf and other schools that are not filling the position, is what is happening in all walks of life around the country. Corporations are realizing that in order to get more and better help, they're needing to offer higher salaries. 

Wim

• 12.  RE: Piano Tech position at State University

Posted 04-28-2023 09:58

Having taught at colleges, I'm not sure that a wage comparison with professors is very relevant. Nor are figures on what a family in the town makes.

For one thing, there is a vast difference in what professors make, depending on the field. A new hire in music or English composition, for example, might be paid half of what some other field might make. There is a HUGE oversupply of humanities PhDs, and they will do anything get that magical, elusive tenure-track position. Let's not talk about football coaches, though-I want my blood pressure to stay in the green zone.

If you consider the math, it takes just 2.3 private tunings per weekday-with one month off a year-to get to $77,000. Ok, that doesn't include benefits, so let's say that figure is $90k total. Now you only have to tune 2.7 per day. That doesn't include extra income from regulation or other big repair jobs.

I get the allure of some of the jobs at the flagship schools, but those at lower levels hold no appeal for me. Here's what I've found tuning at local colleges: pianos are a low priority, and they might budget for just one tuning and nothing else. So, let's say I see something that needs to be done, like ringing dampers, various regulation, etc. If the school says "sorry, we don't have the budget," what do you do? I would feel compelled to fix it, because I don't want my name associated with a piano with problems. ("Hey, who's the technician here? This piano has ringing dampers!") I've spent much time working on a faculty member's piano for free. Sure, I can walk away, but that has a cost, too. So I think it's easy to get trapped at school pianos. That's not an issue with private pianos: if they want something done, they pay for it. If not, that's up to them.

So, it's no wonder they can't get anyone.

Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

• 13.  RE: Piano Tech position at State University

Posted 04-28-2023 10:52
    Here's what I've found tuning at local colleges: pianos are a low priority, and they might budget for just one tuning and nothing else.  Scott

Not necessarily. It all depends on the piano faculty and the chairman of the department. If the chairman is not a pianists, or respects pianist, then yes, there is a problem. But if the relationship between the piano faculty and the department chair is good, chances are the technician will get what is needed to get the pianos up to par. At least that's what I've found at my school. 

• 14.  RE: Piano Tech position at State University

Posted 04-28-2023 12:26
    With an employee situation, it is possible to make all the decisions about piano care, within the constraints of time and resources. Per service contracts or informal arrangements can be, as Scott described, very problematic. 

The way I dealt with that, in an arrangement with a private school with 15 pianos, was to make "a service" into tuning plus half an hour, and I banked the half hours to focus them where the need was greatest. (In retrospect, it should have been tuning plus an hour.) I simply told them that was the way it was going to be if they wanted to hire me, take it or leave it. 

I couldn't handle asking permission for any little extra repair or whatever: it would take far more time and effort to get permission than to just do the work.

When we gripe about the pay for employment situations, we do need to bear in mind that the money situation is most horrible for the PhDs hired as adjuncts. Some of them work full time loads for maybe $30K/yr with no tenure or benefits. As Scott says, there is a huge oversupply of overqualified applicants, and they are forced to accept what they hope will be an interim adjunct position to get experience that may land them a tenure-track position. So when the chair/director is looking at the whole picture, there is a lot of competition for where the limited funding should be focused.

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    http://fredsturm.net
    www.artoftuning.com
    "A mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled." Plutarch

• 15.  RE: Piano Tech position at State University

Posted 04-28-2023 13:53
    Thank you all for your quick and useful responses. The department chair and senior piano faculty are totally on board with the proposed salary, in fact, they're the ones who came up with it. It's the people who hold the purse strings that need convincing. My role in this process has been advisory and arm's length. Since their initial request for help on the salary issue, they've done more research and found information that justifies the salary they're requesting.

During my time there I've been very aware that the pianos need more attention than their budget permits, and have brought this to their attention periodically. Now that I'm leaving and there's no one local who can simply step into the job they have a good excuse to go the route of full time salaried technician. Ultimately, they'll be better off and it will be a good position for a technician who's interested in the job. The faculty and staff have been very supportive and very nice to interact with. Just putting that out there in anticipation of the job offering.

Aaron

------------------------------------
    Aaron Bousel
    413-253-3846

Original Message