Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

Piano tilter concept

• 1.  Piano tilter concept

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 03-11-2024 12:55

I just came across this tilter, it seems to be the best design I've seen. Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/gb1hn0TT8DI?si=k5oOqV67kcz4lvKe

------------------------------
    Tim Foster RPT
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074

• 2.  RE: Piano tilter concept

Posted 03-12-2024 01:12

Roger Gable has been selling essentially  the same thing for years. Moondog Manufacturing: www.moondogmfg.com
    Page 34 February Journal

Tremaine Parsons RPT
    Georgetown CA
    (530) 333-9299

• 3.  RE: Piano tilter concept

Posted 03-12-2024 08:19

I believe the Moondog design requires fastening to the bottom of the piano. 

Tim Foster RPT
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074

• 4.  RE: Piano tilter concept

Posted 03-12-2024 01:48

Hi there,

I cant seem to open this website? https://youtu.be/gb1hn0TT8DI?si=k5oOqV67kcz4lvKe

Thanks

Raymond

Raymond Cugnolio
    owner
    Pretoria
    27-82-342-4668

• 5.  RE: Piano tilter concept

Posted 03-12-2024 06:01
    A clever design, and looks like it's possible to make one from his plans. My favorite tilter (and the one I've used for 20+ years) is the "Piano Horse," purchased from Janssen and designed by a Texas piano mover (unfortunately now deceased).  No hardware needed, and only one, ten-second adjustment. You can put it in the rain (I move in an open truck), and it works on any grand excepting the player grands with the roll drawers. Sadly, it hasn't been made or sold for years, though I know of some techs who are copying the design. 

• 6.  RE: Piano tilter concept

Posted 03-12-2024 08:20

I'd love to see a photo of your tilter, if possible!

Tim Foster RPT
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074

• 7.  RE: Piano tilter concept

Posted 03-15-2024 08:46
    Here are a couple photos of our PianoHorse taken today. The geometry of this device is excellent. We've moved hundreds of grands with it. We usually lower the piano onto the skid with the dolly underneath, saving us a lift. Here, there is no dolly as I'm just working on the soundboard.

Philip Jamison

IMG_0020.jpg
    IMG_0022.jpg

• 8.  RE: Piano tilter concept

Posted 03-16-2024 11:21
    Hi Philip , I'd love the specs on that if you made it, or where it could be purchased from.  Thanks!

• 9.  RE: Piano tilter concept

Posted 03-16-2024 11:39
    I neither make nor sell them. I bought mine from Janssen, but they no longer sell them after the maker (a Texas piano mover) died about 15 years ago.

• 10.  RE: Piano tilter concept

Posted 03-16-2024 11:44
    I see!  Well if anyone has one to sell , let me know!  Thanks!

• 11.  RE: Piano tilter concept

Posted 03-12-2024 08:17

It would be nice to have the plans. I don't see a link but he seems to be marketing them. Can you provide a link?

Dave Conte, RPT

Piano Technician in Residence
    The University of Tennessee
    College of Music
    Knoxville TN
    (817) 307-5656
    Owner: Rocky Top Piano

• 12.  RE: Piano tilter concept

Posted 03-12-2024 09:45

And it's super easy to make. Since i tilt pianos off of a grand board it fit into my system nicely. Just print screen at the moment he shows the plans that should be enough for you creative folks out there.

-chris

Chernobieff Piano Restorations

Inventor of Inertia Touch Wave (ITW)
    Advanced Resonant Compression Engineered Soundboards (ARCHES)

865-986-7720 (text only please)

• 13.  RE: Piano tilter concept

Posted 03-12-2024 19:28

Here is his website:

https://www.klavieratelier.de/index.php

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 14.  RE: Piano tilter concept

Posted 03-13-2024 08:16
    For the good of the group - plans are not posted on the website and only 
    a video of tilting pianos could be found. 

• 15.  RE: Piano tilter concept

Posted 03-12-2024 19:32

Over the years, I've watched many videos of piano moving equipment. Many had positive features, but most had minor to major deficiencies. This latest piano tilting "invention" shown on the video was one of the most "slick" produced video I've seen. Watching this man tilt a 7' grand was impressive but……... pay careful attention to this very strong well-built person. He is very measured while paying careful attention to the balance. It reminds me of those times in my youth when I took on more than I should have when wrestling a large piano. There are glaring shortcomings with this tilter – such as: The tilter is a single cut radius. Unless you're very strong, as this man appears to be, you could experience what is called "runaway". This occurs when, at the end of the vertical tilting process, inertia may cause the piano to continue to roll over on its lid. If you carefully look, the man in this video is very conscience of this possibility. A smaller person could lose control. The most glaring shortcoming, as this video willfully or unwillingly doesn't show, is how this single person will get the bass leg attached to the piano after tilting into the set-up/playing position. A second person is needed; one to hold the bass corner of the piano up and the second person to attach the bass leg. Also, because the tilter isn't solidly attached to the piano, the tilter would fall to the floor during this process and possibly during the tilting process.

Excuse me for this following ADVERTISEMENT.

The Moondog tilter eliminates the need for the second person. After tilting into the playing position and readying for bass leg attachment, you can go have lunch while the piano is poised to install the third leg. No straining holding the piano up while the second person discovers how to attach the bass leg. The Moondog tilter has a three-radius arc. This greatly reduces "runaway" and remains relatively balanced throughout the process. The Moondog tilter has some shortcomings; it doesn't work well, or at all, with pre-WWII-built pianos that utilize wood screws to attach the lyre and doesn't have 100% functionally with all interlocking style lyre plates. It's a forward-looking tool as all pianos produced today, including Steinway, have incorporated a universal lyre attachment system, which the Moondog utilizes. There are almost 600 Moondog tilters around the world.

Roger Gable RPT
    Gable Piano
    Everett WA
    (425) 252-5000