CAUT

• 1.  pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 04-23-2023 12:19

I've heard about using a reverse-mounted pipe clamp to get grand lyres apart for repair. I picked up a clamp for 3/4" pipe--can anyone recommend a good pipe length that will work with most lyres? I'm not afraid to go a little short and use wood blocks if needed.

------------------------------
    Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

• 2.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-23-2023 13:59
      |   view attached

Mine works great…it's a 36" pipe. Since you are trying to push apart you may be able to get by with some 24" pipes. But it seems to me the 36" ones are perfect for future use…both pulling apart & clamping up. It's "SOUNDS" too long but with the clamps on the ends, they're just right. Pic attached. 

Kevin Fortenberry
    Longview, TX 75602
    806-778-3962

• 3.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-23-2023 20:07
    I have pulled a few lyres apart and reglued them. I removed the wedges (saw) and was careful to clean surfaces and apply glue (TItebond) thoroughly to all surfaces, then put it back together and install new wedges. (this is mostly a hammer job, with a mallet, then clamp when together). 50% of the time the joint failed again - creaking and gradually pulling loose. (These were very high use pianos).

Someone suggested just applying extra-thin CA. I did so for the next three that came along, applying it at the top of each joint around the full perimeter (ie, top of the dowel exposed at both top and bottom of the lyre, some disassembly required to get access). Results: 5 - 10 years of no problems, meaning that by the time I had retired none of the CA'd lyres had recurring problems. 

I suspect others may have different experiences, but this is from 35 years in a music department. I had done what I thought was a thorough and permanent fix and experienced failure, then tried something I thought would be impermanent and found it worked. Time saved was considerable. I did soak the CA in pretty thoroughly, and used EXTRA-THIN CA (That is, as with loose tuning pins, any thicker CA is not appropriate and is likely to fail and leave you worse off).

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    fssturm@comcast.net
    www.artoftuning.com
    http://fredsturm.net
    "We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same." - Carlos Casteneda

• 4.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-24-2023 09:10
    I found easiest way to take the lyres apart was an appropriate length of  2x4 for a spacer with a a pin-block jack.  It just pushes the pieces apart.  When I re-glued them, I used West System epoxy and they never failed again.  I think some of the original repairs like this were done in the mid-1980's, and were still intact in 2018 when I left Vanderbilt.  The most important thing is clean the old glue off and make sure the pedal box is not going on backwards...
    Regards, 

• 5.  RE: pipe clamp for grand lyres: pipe length?

Posted 04-24-2023 11:20
    The joints do usually have a wedge in them. Often it will be at least helpful and maybe necessary to remove some of the wedge wood before disassembly - drill a line of holes about half the diameter of the wedge dow the middle and clean out wood with a chisel or other blade. 

Yamahas (and perhaps others) also have a metal pin inserted at right angles to the dowel. This is a royal pain and makes it virtually impossible to disassemble. I guess this is what really sold me on experimenting with CA: they weren't coming apart, but the joints were loose enough to squeak - polyester on polyester as in benches with that finish. 

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    fssturm@comcast.net
    www.artoftuning.com
    http://fredsturm.net
    "We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same." - Carlos Casteneda