Harpsichord

View Only
  • 1.  Plastic jacks in general

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 04-26-2023 13:40
    This brings up a point that’s been on my mind a lot. I take care of several instruments, Dowd, Hubbard, Herz and Kingston, that are old enough that tongues are failing and and jacks themselves are occasionally warped, maybe it’s more of a problem in New Orleans heat. Has anyone thought of 3D printing replacements? They’re all molded and unless you have access to the molds I don’t know how you get replacements. The instruments themselves are still lively sounding and solid. I’ve no knowledge of how hard it would be to set up and print replicas but if they can print guns a jack and tongue shouldn’t be impossible?

And yes to Ed’s method, that’s exactly how I do it.

---Dave

Sent from my phone, forgive typos!

> On Apr 25, 2023, at 9:09 PM, Ed Sutton via Piano Technicians Guild <mail@connectedcommunity.org> wrote:
    >
    > A detail on cutting the jacks to length: Number the jacks, install tongues and plectra, lay them on a board, side-by-side and line up the tops to a straight edge.
    > Pick one jack per octave and trim it to perfect length in the harpsichord, then return it to the line of jacks. Draw a line between the cut jacks to indicate the cutting lengths for the rest of the jacks.
    > Cutting with a razor saw using an Exacto mini mitre box goes quickly.
    > [I think I got this from Richard Kingston.]
    ></mail@connectedcommunity.org>

• 2.  RE: Plastic jacks in general

Posted 04-26-2023 15:14
    Mark Purney of Supply88 does a lot of 3D printing. Presumably it is possible to do with harpsichord jacks. The question is whether that would be less expensive than wooden ones. http://www.harpsichordjacks.net/ makes wood jacks to order for around $8 each (they also make guides and registers).

When it is a just question of a molded tongue spring breaking, I attach a wire spring, not too time-consuming or difficult. Warpage can generally be reversed through some heat and gentle bending.
    Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain

• 3.  RE: Plastic jacks in general

Posted 04-26-2023 16:19
    I hadn’t looked into wooden replacement jacks, have you experience with them? Are they good quality? I just assumed 3D printing would be cheaper and easier, wouldn’t be the first time I’ve been wrong. $8 a jack seems very reasonable, not much more than what HCH charges for Kingston tongues.

And yes to wire springs, I have a Herz from the 70’s that now has all added springs. It definitely works.

I just looked at a Hubbard with the first generation jacks that the owner tried to replace a plectra and the tongue split across at the slot. That doesn’t have a quick and easy solution.

---Dave

Sent from my phone, forgive typos!

• 4.  RE: Plastic jacks in general

Posted 04-26-2023 17:04
    I haven't seen their wooden jacks, but they have been around for several years now and seem to be successful.

Plastic definitely becomes brittle with age, and I have seen several that are on the verge of complete failure, somewhat like pianos with plastic parts. Replacement options are very limited. I think we need to accept the reality of complete replacement, likely with wooden parts, being the only truly viable alternative in many cases. 

My archives of spare parts has become pretty spares over the past few years. Zuckermann is the only reliable source of plastic jacks at this point, and I don't foresee anyone finding it worthwhile to make the investment in molds considering the small demand.

I do have a couple complete sets of original Zuckermann jacks if anyone is interested :-) Don't know why I keep them, but they don't take up much space.

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity, and there is no cure for curiosity." Dorothy Parker

• 5.  RE: Plastic jacks in general

Posted 04-27-2023 07:36
    I used their wooden jacks this week on a Sperrhake spinet.  They are decent.   The instrument is much happier and so are its owners.   Another tech in town just installed them in a French double.   He really liked them.  You can't beat the price.