CAUT

• 1.  Plate creep

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 06-08-2022 16:13
    It seems like I read something about this at one time. String (frames) plates seem to creep over time. Sometimes the tuning pins are crowded against the backs of the holes. Not all of this can be attributed to pinblock fatigue. While beginning teardown of a Steinway D for new bridge caps, I noticed this and also that the perimeter bolts leave an impression that seems to creep forward and out from under the bolts. Does anyone know of what might have been published/shared about this? I am thinking of shimming the front edge of the pinblock when I reinstall it to compensate for this, but I wanted to know what others have observed. If the piano is really old, it may be quite severe.

------------------------------
    Dave Conte

University of Tennessee
    Knoxville TN
    (817) 307-5656
    Owner: Rocky Top Piano

• 2.  RE: Plate creep

Posted 06-08-2022 17:52
    I'd say it's more like the pinblock was not fitted properly to the flange nor the web.
    -chris.

• 3.  RE: Plate creep

Posted 06-25-2022 11:44
    I was recently looking at an article on piano plates that discussed this issue , the purpose of the holes on plates etc. Will try to find it since it is an interesting topic.

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 4.  RE: Plate creep

Posted 08-01-2022 03:00

My upright has several holes in the plate and I think they might be there to catch falling action pieces and keep them virtually unretrievable. Not sure what the purpose would be in a grand...

Jasm Charl

• 5.  RE: Plate creep

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 08-02-2022 01:35
    Piano plates are cast-iron and need to have cooling holes built into the design so the cast-iron cools slowly and evenly.

John Minor