Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

• 1.  Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-27-2022 19:48
    Hi, Folks. I'm a beginner who started business the middle of this month. Previous to this, I finished the tuning section on Rick Butler's course. I've begun tuning for my first client, which is probably the most suitable I could hope for: a county school system. I have my first in-home client this Friday, (whom I've duly warned of what I'm about to mention.)

I have a serious problem that's plaguing me: my tuning time is terrible. So far, unless the piano is already partly in tune, I've faced times upwards of 4.5-5 hours. This, of course, isn't great. In fact, it's no good, and it's exhausting.

Granted, some practice tunings aside, I am only on my 10th paid tuning. That said, this just seems untenable. I'm wondering if I'm not just being a bit perfectionist in my tunings, as even after such a lengthy tuning, I'm still often disatisfied. I'd hate the idea of delivering a bad tuning, but I'm beginning to see I may risk poor service all the same by taking so long.

On the advice of another tuner, I'm planing to start really limiting myself in time; having an overall time limit (maybe starting with 3hrs), as well as limits on certain parts, like tuning the treble, unisons, etc., doing my best within those constraints, then moving on.

In any case, I wanted to ask y'all about your experience as a beginner, your perspective on what I've said, and how you'd advise me to help address it.

I'm grateful for any input. Thank you very much

Update #1 7-28-2022:
    Hey, folks. Thanks again for all your input and advice!  I tried a stricter approach on time today and late yesterday and can thankfully say I reduced my average to about 2.4-3 hrs, and with a pretty similar quality of tuning. Unisons, of course, are the big issue. I'll need to start some thorough practice on that, and also some on the high treble. Those are my most lacking and time consuming areas. I'll continue to fulfill my contract with the school system and see where I am from there.  Thanks again for your input!

Update #2 7-29-2022:
    I just did my first in-home customer. She found me on Google last week and asked me to tune. I was honest about my experience and I estimed a 4 hr time. Thankfully, with my altered approach, it took at or just under 3 hrs. I think it went ok. Not great, not terrible.

I've planned not to advertise to home owners until I finished the school system, and I'll probably delay that further. I'm working on a Dampp-Chaser system at my church, and a member wants one installed on hers if it goes well, so there's some other work I could do in the meantime. I'm more confident in my repair and handywork than my tuning anyway. Until then, more work and more practice. Thanks, folks.

Update #3 7-30:
    I should perhaps clarify my situation personally. When I say I'm relying on this for income, I'm not quite put out if I put my business on hold for now to practice more. I'm early 20s and in poor health, so I'm remaining with my parents for that reason. I won't go hungry if I don't earn. I meant that because of that poor health, plying this trade (low on labor and working when I can) is pretty much my only way of employment, which I much prefer to doing essentially nothing but school. This is also a long-term investment for me, as even if I gain my degree to teach history (which I'd like), who knows if my health will permit. Even if I do, I would keep this doing part-time. This is firm. I'm able to do this, and I'm fairly in it.

I'm tending toward the wisdom of holding off a while longer, and preserving my long-term prospects. If someone reaches out to me for a tuning, perhaps I'll do it. I'd let them know I'm a beginner and charge a small amount. Otherwise, I won't go in search of any home owners until my results (especially unisons) are a bit better.
    Thank you all for your insights!

------------------------------
    Joshua Dellinger
    Catawba Valley Piano Services
    Maiden, NC
    cvpianoservices@gmail.com
    ​​​

• 2.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 07-27-2022 20:18
    Greetings,
       I don't think a credible tuning can be done in 4 hours.  2 hours, maybe, but a beginner is never going to be able to keep their objectivity for 4 hours.  So,  I would suggest you practice a 15 minute temperament.  That is a little over 60 seconds per note and to begin, it will be a loose temperament.  You will get more accuracy later, but force yourself to get it done in that length of time.   Customers are far more attuned to octaves and unisons, so you should be able to tune  clear unisons before you charge someone for your work.  Otherwise, you are going to start packing your closet with skeletons and (I have seen this before) risk gaining a reputation for poor work before you really get your business off the ground.  
    Regards, 

• 3.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-27-2022 22:47

Ed has provided excellent advice here.

Like weight lifting, you need to gradually build up the amount of time you can concentrate, and the best way to do that is to do it at home.

Set yourself a particular task, which should take fifteen or twenty minutes to complete. If you try to do it in fifteen minutes, but 45 have gone by, set a timer. Do it as well as you can.

Go do something else, get your mind fresh, then try it again. Do some chores, make a meal, whatever, then do it again. Five or six times a day, but with ample recovery time in between.

If you are using an electronic device, I'd suggest that you use it only to check your temperament after you've done it unaided. When it has shown you where the problems are, turn it off and attempt to fix them unaided, then check it all again. That way you will build up your chops. Setting the temperament with the device first thing is like walking with crutches. Your way of walking would not develop well, leaning on crutches the whole time. The device can show you what your unaided work has done without stunting your progress, and the more you find that out and try it again, the closer you will get, and the faster your work will be.

When you are tuning for money, you are selling something. Be sure you have something to sell before you take money for it. Coaching with an established tuner can help you a great deal. After you've worked on particular chores and feel you are getting somewhere, do them in front of a mentor.

If you are practicing tuning at home on your own piano, attempt to de-tune the instrument the least amount possible. It will give you better control of the tuning pins, trying to turn them very small amounts, and it will be more like tuning a customer's piano. Then if you want to do something more extreme, every now and then, move the notes a lot. Remember to move the pitch downward if you are going to change the pitch a lot. Pulling them too high can break wire. But then, if you are selling your work, part of that is knowing how to install strings. And other things you should have studied before you take money: do you know how to replace a broken hammer shank? Can you adjust pedals? Can you get rid of nasty noises? Can you fix or replace broken action parts? Have you learned to level keys, and to replace moth-eaten front and balance rail punchings? Can you do basic regulation?

Customers also can use good advice, and working with a mentor can help you learn how to counsel your customers.

• 4.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-27-2022 20:58

Hi Joshua

Ed Foote has very good advice.  Believe me, there are a lot of us on here that want you to succeed.  Do you have a mentor helping you?  Someone who could advise you on techniques that could help a lot to achieve stability and save time.  Are you using an electronic tuning device or app on your phone?  Or are you learning to tune by ear exclusively?  A tuning device is sort of like training wheels.  It is good to learn to tune by ear of course, but if you need to have an income from it, having a tuning aid will help you immensely.  The Potter correspondence course, which also teaches aural tuning, advocates the use of a tuning aid, such as the Sanderson Accutuner.  I would say to learn on your piano at home, if you can by aural tuning.  But when you go out to someone's home, have the tuning device available to keep yourself on track and save time.  You can check your aural tuning with the machine, and catch those mistakes.  New tuners have a hard time tuning by ear, mostly because the notes they tuned (and rely on) move because they didn't set the pin well enough.  Another popular mistake is from back and forth moving the tuning pin too far.  It takes time to learn to turn the tuning pin in tiny increments, just enough to turn the pin to where it needs to be.  I like a slapping technique, using the palm of my hand to impact the lever.  A fellow i mentored found this very helpful for getting the pin to stabilize.  Another tool is an impact hammer, especially the ones made by Reyburn  (Cyber Hammer).  Not cheap, but the best out there.  Using this tool can make your pin setting very accurate.  As in all things, it takes a bit of experience with the tool.
    Best of luck.
    Paul

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-27-2022 21:44
    Joshua --

By the time I completed the Randi Potter course, just over 20 years ago, my aural tuning time was between four and five hours. Fortunately I had a day job because even though I knew the principals and the procedures I was not ready to charge customers. What I did, and what I'm recommending, is practice, practice, practice. Hopefully you have a practice piano at home. If not, it's going to take you a lot longer as you are going to have to depend on the kindness of friends, neighbors, etc., to allow you to practice on their pianos. As already suggested, take some time every day to practice your temperament. Once you get that down to an acceptable time, start working on unisons. Yes, unisons. They're actually more important than spreading out the temperament correctly. Once you have confidence in the stability of your unisons then it's time to work on octaves and spreading the temperament across all notes. This takes time. Lots of time and practice, and patience. And practice is the only way you will gain speed and confidence. Trust us, here. Once you get that speed up your confidence will grow and your speed and accuracy will only get better. In a couple of years you will likely be able to pull off a decent tuning in anywhere between one to two acceptable hours. Practice, practice, practice.

Geoff Sykes, RPT
    Los Angeles CA

• 6.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-27-2022 21:47
    Are you tuning your own piano every day? After, of course, severely de-tuning it before you get to working on it. Practice every day, that school system will have pianos that are far out of tune. Practice practice practice.

Patrick Draine RPT
    Billerica MA
    (978) 663-9690

• 7.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-27-2022 22:15
    Another source for practice is churches. NOT the choir room or sanctuary. Often neglected, donated old uprights in children's classrooms.

Larry Messerly, RPT
    Bringing Harmony to Homes
    www.lacrossepianotuning.com
    ljmesserly@gmail.com
    928-899-7292

• 8.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-27-2022 22:33
    Hi Joshua et al.

Lots of very good advice here, particularly: PRACTICE!

You said you finished the aural portion of Rick's course. Did you finished all the video assignments including the low bass & high treble? Did you put in the practice hours that are recommended? Did Rick say you were close to ready to take the aural exam? 

I can be a perfectionist, and sometimes that can add time, but ideally I want that perfectionist attitude and still take less than 2 hours, preferably under 90 minutes. 

I'm going to disagree with one statement. I don't see why a credible tuning can't be done in 4 hours. Why not? My FIRST tuning, a freebie for a friend, took me 6 hours (ridiculous, I know), but I barely knew what I was doing. I saw the piano a few months later and it wasn't that bad. In my first year of tuning, I would take up to 4 hours. I have heard it said that those who take longer tend to have more stable tunings. I don't know if that's true, but if that is a rumor, taking 4 hours can't be all that bad. One may not want to take that long for several reasons, but I don't think quality or credibility is one of them. Fine Concert tunings and master tunings for exams can easily take 4+ hours. 

A couple people mentioned ETD's. I think this is a very good question: Are you doing this by ear or with an ETD? If by ear, you may take longer in the beginning. Practice is key. Speed will come, just as everyone has explained. ETD's, particularly if you know how to use them well, can reduce tuning time for newbies. 

I'm going to agree extra with Geoff's comment about unisons. The faster you can tune GOOD unisons, the faster your tuning will go, but he wasn't talking about speed; he was talking about quality. You can have a great temperament, but if your unisons aren't good, forget it. They are very important. 

Hope this was a little helpful if only to emphasize what some others have already said. Good luck! 

Maggie

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 9.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-28-2022 00:02

Ditto on pretty much everything Maggie said! When I first started it took me 4 hours. Now it typically takes 60-90 minutes, depending on the piano and how far out it is. Sometimes less, sometimes more - this morning I tuned a B that took 1 hour 45 minutes (my longest tuning in quite a while). It just varies. But you will get better with time and practice.

I wrote a blog here some years back documenting my own journey to being faster with my tuning times. It was a seven parter called "Tips for the Efficient Tuner." You can find it here:

https://my.ptg.org/browse/blogs

Especially at the beginning, focus on learning to do good quality work first, speed second. You'll get there, I promise!

Benjamin Sanchez, RPT
    Piano Technician / Artisan
    (256) 947-9999
    www.professional-piano-services.com

• 10.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-28-2022 00:06
    Thanks! I'll check it out!

Joshua Dellinger
    Maiden, NC

• 11.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-27-2022 23:09
    Thanks all for the recommendations and information.

I've been sending replies sender to previous posts, which I didn't realise were hidden. To answer some questions, I've stuck to almost completely aural tuning, except for A4, of course. I think I'll use it to supplement F3, since that's the next note and also sometimes tedious to get right. The impact tuning lever seems interesting to me. I had been eyeing a Fujan, but perhaps that would be worth a go first. Lot's of uprights around, and those take me the longest, it seems.

Perhaps another thing to ask is how I should approach charging. I am also squeemish about charging in-home customers for tunings at the moment. However, I am currently relying on this as a source of income, and by about mid-August, I'll have swept through the school system, and will need to do more work. I'm guessing an intense regimen of practice in-between now and then is a must. Thoughts?

In any case, I appreciate your input greatly. I'll be putting in more practice right away.
    Thank you all greatly.

Joshua Dellinger
    Maiden, NC

• 12.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-28-2022 00:13
    Joshua

You asked about charging for your work. First, and this is a bone of contention with some of us, but Federal law doesn't allow us to discuss prices between each other. Something having to do about possible price fixing. 

So how much should you charge for a tuning? The easiest way to figure that out is to call a couple of other tuners in your area and ask them. Since you're relatively new to the profession, most of them won't know you. So just call them and say, I need my piano tuned, how much do you charge? Some might not give you a straight answer, but most will. 

Once you're doing more work, there are actually several articles in past Journals that talk about how much to charge for your work. It can get kind of complicated, especially when you're new to the business, but it gives you step by step instructions on how to get to that number. 

But in the meantime, ask around, and charge about the same amount. But, as everyone has said, practice, practice, practice, to get your time down to about 2 hours, or less. 

BTW, my first tuning, in a store, took 8 hours. After about a week, and 8 tunings, I was down to an hour and a half. 

Wim Blees, retired after 45 years tuning. 

• 13.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-28-2022 00:31
    Thanks, Wim. I didn't mean to get into actual pricing, but I was curious about to do given that I'll be relying in this for income and I'll be needing to pick up work in a few weeks. As I say, I guess the answer is simply to practice thoroughly til then and see what I can do.

Again, thanks!

Joshua Dellinger
    Maiden, NC

• 14.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-28-2022 11:44
    There has been a lot of good advice, Joshua. One thing that hasn’t been mentioned with regard to speed is getting used to finding the correct tuning pin. There are a lot strings and pins and it isn’t always immediately obvious which pin is connected to which string. Mistakes here take up extra time. Practice improves this area as it does all others. I also remember that at one point early on in my career I decided that pianos couldn’t be tuned. Learning what to listen for is another skill that takes some time to master. It is necessary to block out the sounds that interfere with the tuning (I don’t mean extraneous noises but rather sounds from the strings themselves). For example, it may take some time to differentiate the 3:2 beat from the 6:4 beat in the P5. False beats often interfere with hearing what is needed.

Bob Anderson
    Tucson, AZ

• 15.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-28-2022 18:14
    Thanks for the comment, Robert. Yeah, I've done that every so often. Thankfully, it's infrequent

Joshua Dellinger
    Maiden, NC
    (828) 705-1732

• 16.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-28-2022 09:20
    It's like good musicianship: if you get a passage/excercize to come through at a slow tempo, I mean, allow your muscle memory to get thoroughly relaxed and comfortable with it, it will reliably ramp up to any tempo you want.

I'm sorry to hear that you're immediately depending on the income. When I first set out from the N. Bennett St. school in FEB '72, the best I could muster was a 9A and a 1P. And that was with the advantage of a thorough understanding of the fabric formed by all of these partials. Two years later, I was up to a 9A, 11A, 1P and a 3P. Fortunately, my then-wife had a steady paycheck.

Keep two things in mind: 1.) You can't tune a piano unless it's in tune already, and 2.) you can't tune a piano unless you've already tuned a thousand. You may be jeopardizing the long-term prospects of your career move.

William Ballard RPT
    WBPS
    Saxtons River VT
    802-869-9107

"Our lives contain a thousand springs
    and dies if one be gone
    Strange that a harp of a thousand strings
    should keep in tune so long."
    ...........Dr. Watts, "The Continental Harmony,1774
    +++++++++++++++++++++

• 17.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-28-2022 11:08
    Joshua,
    Bill Ballard beat me to it: you have to treat tuning like learning a musical instrument: You can't just blow through fast passages without a lot of practice. There's no magic way to shortcut the process except deliberate, constant practice.

Other responders have beaten me to my other thought: charging may be premature at this point. You've put yourself in a precarious position by "having" to make a living at it NOW.

Not so fast. Back to the musician analogy: If you're not ready to perform, you can't force yourself onstage.
    Music students (or even professionals) who prematurely attempt recitals, competitions, or auditions risk a negative feedback loop of poor self-confidence when things go poorly.

As far as pricing, I think it's fair to say (legal to say?) you probably shouldn't be charging market rate, whatever that is. Let's say it's half, and you're taking 4-5 hours. At that point, you'd be just as well off taking some other job in the meantime, and preserving your reputation. Remember that tuning isn't steady work in the beginning--you can't count on tunings coming in every day. The general job market is hot right now. Take advantage of that until you get your times down.

Customers often have long memories, and I hear them complain, "I remember Joe 10 years years ago--he took hours" or "That other tuner Bill seemed grumpy" or whatever. You should not risk your reputation by accepting paying work too early. Especially with social media apps like Nextdoor or FB. People like to gripe online before they call you when there's a problem. In fact, we've seen in on these forums: people complaining about a company or service first before actually calling the company to get the problem resolved.

Some have advised against using an ETD. I'm not in that camp. From the beginning, I used Veritune, and for just the reasons above: I did NOT want to be in the customer's house 3, 4, or 5 hours. Especially as the light faded and they started dinner and tried to keep the house quiet hour after hour. It's not fair to the customer. Perfect aural tuning on your own time if you must tune for home customers. If you're in a church basement, fine, take your time.

I'm still early in my career (8 years, 5 as an RPT), and I'm always interested in getting my own tuning times down. I take 25 minutes to pitch raise, another 25 to fine-tune, and about 20 to perfect the unisons. Fine pianos take me a little longer if they are very clean sounding. Some of reducing time has to do with eliminating the "not-tuning time": how are you using mutes? How much time is spent between turning the pins? Are you obsessing on the outer octaves? Anyone seen Isaac Sadigursky's 2-minute pitch raise?

One last analogy (I think I used this in an article last year): If you're baking a cake, you can't speed it up by cranking the heat to 500 degrees. You just have to let it bake.

Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

• 18.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-28-2022 12:11

Hi all,

When I started with Steve Brady, he gave me a sheet to fill out. 100 pianos!  Dates and time taken to tune, how flat were they? Etc.

Fortunately, I was able to tune a ton of practice grands at the Univ. of Wa where he was at the time.  Also my own 1946 Aldrich console with aluminum plate!  (I figured that if I could tune that one, I could tune about anything!)

Nice to watch the tuning time go down consistently through the 100.  My first tuning after getting the basics was about 6 hours!  I was absolutely wiped out after those first few.  Times went down dramatically at first, then hit a 2-3 hour stagnation.  Steve told me about plateus you hit while learning until an "aha" moment kicks in.  Yes it did.  Suddenly, my tuning times went down to about 1.5 hours. That's when I started my business.

Of course, in a University setting, you get really good at tuning in an hour or even less as open times in certain rooms can get crunched.

All you can do is just keep crunching and tuning and tuning.

After 33 years now, I consider over 1.5 hours a difficult tuning (not counting pitch corrections)

Keep on keeping on!  You'll get it.

Paul

• 19.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-28-2022 13:31
    Joshua,

One thing that has not been mentioned yet is that: "You can't tune a piano unless it is in tune"

In other words, if you have to move the overall pitch more than + or - about 3 cents you should plan on a rough pass and then a fine pass.

Sometimes, raising pitch 1/4 or 1/2 step requires 3 passes. (or 2 1/2)

Eventually you will get to doing a rough pass in 20 to 30 minutes. "You can't tune a piano unless it is in tune"

Keep practicing, It will get better.

Tremaine Parsons RPT
    Georgetown CA
    (530) 333-9299

• 20.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-28-2022 17:34
    Joshua,

I'm going to ask you some questions, and also give you some advice:

Q1) What aspect seems to eat up a large portion of time for you? Temperament, bass  treble, unisons, pitch raising?...primarily which?

Q2) Do you tune unisons as you go (strip mute the center...) or something else?

Q3) What intervals do HEAR best? (e.g. I hear 3rds, 4ths, and 6ths best...not so great on 5ths) This is important because you want to create a temperament scheme that maximizes usage of intervals you hear easily. More on that later.

A1) Practicing: It has been proven that you can flatten your learning curve significantly by practicing a "lesson" just before going to bed at night, then AGAIN immediately upon waking up in the morning before doing anything else. 

So, you need to practice with a purpose and practice smart. Let's say for example that you want to speed up your setting of the temperament (many spend way too much time on this). So, set aside a 10-15 minute practice period (no more) just before bed to set a temperament (aurally/analog). Don't spend more than 30 seconds on any one note. Even if not perfect, don't worry but move on to the next, and the next. 6 or 7 minutes max. Then analyze it for the remaining time without correcting anything. (Using aural/analog tests...perhaps your ETD as well if you want).

Now in the morning just after getting up DO THE EXACT SAME THING again, refining it a little more. 15 min max. Then leave it. Drink coffee, etc.  Repeat this pattern every night and morning for a week. You will notice marked improvement in your temperament setting speed and accuracy.

A2) MEMORIZE the timing of seconds. You can do this anytime anywhere. You must be able to count seconds with very high accuracy (without any outside reference ultimately).

A3) Once you get seconds you need to accurately tap 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 bps with your fingers or teeth. This must become highly accurate. They are easy if you have rhythm. 5 and 7 bps are harder, but they are in between the others so if you can do all the others you can deduce the hard ones from there. 

That's it for now. More later.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 21.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-28-2022 18:31
    Thanks for thorough comment, Peter.

To answer:

1.) The mid-high treble and unisons, most definitely

2.) I tune all center strings, and unisons are last.

3.) 3rds, 5ths and wide intervals I hear fairly well. 4ths are probably my least discernable.

The rest is also informative. Thanks

Joshua Dellinger
    Maiden, NC
    (828) 705-1732

• 22.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-29-2022 04:57
    Hi Joshua

Further to my last contribution on using an ETD I suspect that your trouble is tuning all the centre strings and then the unisons. I tune all three strings at once with the ETD. I often find with the ETD that after tuning left and right string, the centre string has slipped so I retune it and check the unisons of left and right string by ear to make sure all is well. If you tune only the centre string then all your subsequent scale notes are subject to the error inherent in relying on just one string and then finding that your whole tuning is out. Tuning all three at once immediately shows up any error and enables you to proceed with confidence and swiftly. I tune A4 to C5 and then downwards to the bass.

There are no doubt as many variations on ways to do things but this way works for me and well.

Best wishes

David P

--
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.
    +44 1342 850594

• 23.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-29-2022 08:55
    As you mentioned David Pinnegar, there are many variations in tuning procedures. If one strip muted the entire piano, tuning the center strings followed by removing the strip felt and tuning the outside strings to the center string, the results would likely not give the best result. Unisons can never stand alone. They must be tuned in relationship to all other intervals used to create the tuning. Strip muting can be used very effectively to establish a tuning throughout the scale, followed by an appropriate procedure for shaping each unison to support the desired result and avoid errors. 
    Having these skills is a great advantage when a high-level tuning is required in a limited period of time. Of course, as was mentioned in this thread, we're not talking about pitch adjustments. 

Best,

Rick Butler RPT
    The Butler School of Piano Technology
    Bowie MD
    240 396 7480
    RickRickRickRickRick

• 24.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-29-2022 10:19
    Hey, Rick. Good to see you. I'll be implementing that approach going forward

Thanks

Joshua Dellinger
    Maiden, NC
    (828) 705-1732

• 25.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-29-2022 10:50
    Dear Rick

Possibly you might not have read my previous advice about using an ETD - not any old ETD but the best - in my opinion the _analogue_ Vogel CTS5. There's an interaction here between one's ears, knowing what a tuning should be, and how an ETD behaves, what it's looking for, and using it as a tool rather than one's master. Perhaps one might make analogy about making friends with the machine. Once one is confident of that relationship between machine and exactitude of result, not as the machine wants but as you want, then one can rely on the machine to do unisons alone as the machine is specifying the relationship of all intervals.

As someone mentioned, an important factor possibly crucial to going professional is having a mentor. Personally I was fortunate enough to have the friendship of a technician of a famous opera house and without his mentorship I wouldn't be able to do what I'm doing today.

Best wishes

David P

--
    +44 1342 850594

• 26.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-29-2022 11:47
    Hi David,

I'm not averse to one using an ETD. I believe professional technicians should be skilled in their use. However, one needs to understand the interval relationships used in creating a tuning to use an ETD as you describe. They need to have the aural acuity that will allow them to produce a resonate tuning in a reasonable time frame. In this way, the ETD is not one's master, as you suggest. I only wanted to point out that an ETD is not required to produce the results you were talking about. And yes, having a local mentor is the way to go. I had two primary mentors, Wendell Eaton and Orman Pratt. I am forever indebted to them both. I think of them every day of my life. 

Best,

Rick Butler RPT
    Bowie MD
    240 396 7480
    RickRickRickRickRick

• 27.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-30-2022 11:13
    Joshua,

You're getting loads of great ideas here but as a beginner, I think you're going have to sort through all these suggestions and pick a few to focus on. I'm still not very fast and after 25 years, I'm still working on it.

Having said that, here's a few ideas: You're going to be making at least two passes so work on speeding up the first pass. Don't be too fussy with getting everything perfect. Try to keep moving, you'll have time to get it closer later. The two conflicting things I think about here are 1. Getting it closer (more perfect) on the first pass will save me time on subsequent passes...verses 2. Getting it close enough and moving faster will give me more time on final pass when it really matters because that in fact will be the end product. So with this in mind, as you progress, you'll figure out the balance between A. as perfect as you are able and B. close enough for the initial pass (passes?). Along these lines, advice I have received is, "On a pitch raise, "DON'T set the string and DON'T set the pin." I have to admit, I don't always do this (maybe that's why I'm still slow?)

I use an EDT which I think makes pitch raises much easier. I believe many "aural only" tuners have migrated to using EDTs at least for pitch raises these days. (maybe some of you would like to comment on this?) You probably know about overpull. An EDT can calculate an overpull target. If you wanted to tune aurally but use the help of an ETD, I suppose one way would be is to first determine the overall overpull with the ETD. You might measure several strings the the mid and treble sections and and see on average how flat you are and how much overpull you need. Once you determine that you can set A4 to the elevated pitch and tune aurally from there. You might find you need different overpull values for different sections.

Also, even if you use an ETD for the entire pitch raise, tune all unisons aurally. 2 reasons: It's faster and beginners need practice tuning unisons...its the most important interval! If you want to use an ETD for each string of a unison, save that for the final pass. In my opinion, even an ETD tuner should be able to tune a clean unison aurally, (and probably know how to set an equal temperament too).

Finally, one last thing that I have done a couple times lately is to use a stopwatch app on my phone; I hit the "lap" button every octave. If you do this, it may help to push you along.

Gary

• 28.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-30-2022 13:50

Okay, I'll talk about aural pitch raises.

If a piano is severely flat (like some old uprights), I don't want to overpull it first thing. Chances of string breakage are too great. Strings which sat around untuned for decades can get stuck at the bearings. The first movement such strings should make is (minimally) to the flat side. I also want to see whether the piano is capable of holding a tuning before hauling it up.

So, for such a piano, I test notes to see how the wire feels, and if all seems okay, my first pass is only to 440. Then I overpull the second pass enough that the results are more stable, going by how each section of the piano feels and how far it shifted from 440. And then, in a third pass, I work on strays.

This involves a lot less overpull than using an ETD to try to do as much as possible in one pass.

I like multiple passes. I like taking plenty of time for a concert tuning, if I HAVE the time, but I can put on a good burst of speed. When Sergei Babayan recently played at OSU, he wanted lots and lots of time at the piano. I had tuned it carefully four days before, but then there were three days of visiting choirs, and I only got 15 minutes at the piano (lunch hour) the day before he came. And he pulled a huge tone from the piano. Not brutal to the tuning, but certainly not light playing, and he had spent hours and hours on it. When I came at the appointed (kind of skimpy) tuning time, he asked for some more time. I gave it to him, saying that I'm not embarrassed by tuning as people are coming in (though they get noisy, talking with each other.) So he took it, and he gave me access about 20 minutes before the concert time. I finished with five minutes to spare. Touched up at intermission, no worse than usual.

But if I have tons of time, and assuming the piano is pretty close (we keep it that way), I like multiple passes, and revisiting any note which strays at all after being tuned, or where the unison doesn't sound warm and round and stable. Multiple visits to any troubled notes, so that the last movement of a string is extremely minimal. It makes for better stability, and it's a pleasant way to spend a lot of time, soaking up the piano's sound. One really gets to know it.

• 29.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-01-2022 18:30
    Susan,

Thanks so much for your input, it's good to hear how others with different circumstances and schedules sort out theses details. Your method for the severely flat piano could (and probably should) be emulated by those of us using ETD as well.  

Gary

• 30.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-01-2022 19:43

Thanks, Gary.?? Yes, I imagine pulling to 440 first pass, and then using the ETD overpull on the second pass would lose very little time. It seems to me that the less the needed overpull, the more stable the results would be.

The most difficult part of pulling up very old very flat uprights is probably the determination of whether or not they can hold any tuning, before finding out the hard way that they can't.??

• 31.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-01-2022 21:22
    Gary,

Being aural/analog only I do pretty much as Susan does, only I typically will go no more than 10 cents over on the first pass. Second pass is treated as a normal 30% overall. 3rd finds outliers and errors and refines everything. 

I also lube the counterbearing points with CBL before doing anything...always. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 32.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-02-2022 02:28
    Lots of input here but here's my input FWIW.  Some of this has been covered. 

There's no substitute for practice and experience but If the goal is to get out in the field as soon as possible and make a living buy a Reyburn CyberTuner. That will solve pitch correction issues that can be time killers by using the smart tune function. All tunings should be two pass tunings (more if the pitch correction is significant).  

Tune the first pass as quickly as possible but setting the pin/string/pitch, however you want to think about it. Tune with a single mute tuning the left string first, center string to the left string and right string to the other two. Focus on clean and stable unisons. The second pass will tell you how well you did. 

When you practice, focus on the least amount of pin movement possible and learn to feel the pin movement in your fingers. This is important.  Until you can learn to feel the pin move and control it you will have a hard time gaining speed-and stability. 

The ETD is a great tool for checking tuning stability and for monitoring your technique for minimal pin movement.  

When learning you will burn the most time with the temperament tuning by ear. Save it for home practice.  ETDs set temperaments as well as any ear. 

When you're not working, practice by tuning your own piano 3 times each day. Start just getting it in tune at pitch (440). Second tuning raise the pitch to 441.  Third tuning lower the pitch back to 440. Don't waste time detuning the piano. That will give you practice tuning from above and below.  Go back to the piano the next day and see how the unisons held before you start another practice session. 

The goal is the least amount of pitch movement to get to your target and to be conscious of when the pitch is stable. The ETD and unison tuning will help you with that.  You can also use the ETD to check high unison tuning while you're learning to hear that. Tuning clean unisons in the high treble is more about learning the "quality" that a clean unison has. 

Make sure you have a quality tuning lever but more important make sure you have quality tuning tips that fit the tuning pins well!!!  Can't emphasize that enough. You will not learn to feel the pin or control it without a properly fitting tuning tip.  Tune grands and uprights from the 12:00-2:00 position. The high treble can shift to 10:00 - 12:00. 

Remember that pin setting is opposite on grands and uprights. On grands, the force from the lever on the pin (from the positions I mentioned) tends to pull the pitch sharp from which you might have to settle it back down. On uprights, the force tends to pull the pitch flat so don't overshoot the target on uprights as much if at all.   The closer you are to 12:00 the less pin flexing will affect the pitch. 

Save pure aural tuning for home practice until you are competent but don't neglect some practice there. However, you'll get aural tuning practice even with an ETD because you will be tuning unisons by ear.

My typical first pass takes about 30-40  minutes and the second pass about 10-15 minutes. You should shoot for about twice that at first. No longer than 90-100 minutes for both passes.  Longer than that is too exhausting and hard to maintain your concentration. Take a break if needed, just a few minutes of silence will clear your ears. 

It's better to engage in some intensive practice at home until you can get to that level than it is to go out and spend 4-5 hours doing what probably is a mediocre job. Nobody really wants you there that long unless you're doing work that actually takes that long and you want to instill some confidence that you know what you're doing if you want to be hired back. 

Stick with it. 

• 33.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-02-2022 02:50

Hi, David

<<However, you'll get aural tuning practice even with an ETD because you will be tuning unisons by ear.>>

For educating one's ears and improving one's connections to the instrument with its different resonance and registers, touch response, intervals, octave stretch, and so on as they relate to music, that seems awfully like a starvation diet.

However, if the main or necessary goal is to start bringing in an income, it probably is the fastest way.

I once sat, totally silent at a reasonable distance, and watched someone tune a piano using an ETD. Started on A0, went upwards by semitones to C88, then tuned unisons by ear. It looked like a brutally boring way to spend time, also physically repetitive enough to make one sore and tired. After it was finished the person doing it played a piece on the piano. It didn't sound out of tune. I couldn't say it had much warmth, either, but the main problem was having to spend time that close to a piano but utterly removed from what it could do.

Surely it would be a better plan, if the immediate need for income was so pressing, to get a part time job, and go about one's piano learning in a little bit more enhanced manner?

• 34.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-02-2022 08:24
    The ETD concentrates your mental focus on the visual, whereas analog tuning focuses your concentration on hearing AND the physicality of "setting the pins". It is an entirely different experience. 

My experience tells me that if you decide early on to go down the ETD route, you WILL end up tuning with an ETD. It's affects the brain in a similar way to a drug. 

It's different if one masters analog tuning and practices it for years but then brings in the ETD (however it still affects the brain the same way but at least it can be put aside if needed). 

I know I'm going to get blowback with that statement, but I'm calling as I see it over 47 years of doing this. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 35.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-02-2022 08:44
    Peter, 

Brilliant! This is exactly my experience as well!

Rick

Rick Butler RPT
    Bowie MD
    240 396 7480
    RickRickRickRickRick

• 36.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-02-2022 10:54

Roughly agree. However, I began with an Accutuner, passed RPT exams in 2008, tuned exclusively aurally for a few years, and now use an ETD with aural verification. What I've found with ETD use in the last few years is that I've gotten more solid in lever technique with the ETD. Lever technique was already good, but ETD allows instant verification of stability. You see lever technique right away, whereas the ear might "fudge" a bit because it's reeeeeally difficult to discern the difference between 1.2 bps and 1.3 bps.  0.1 bps doesn't matter in intervals, but it does in unisons. And unisons are where it's at.  And now that I've improved lever technique, aural work is also more precise. (Although I'd admit that my ear can get lazy from watching the spinner. So I sometimes do only aural work. And some pianos sound better with a fine aural tuner.)

I'd encourage the newbie to dive into aural tuning after mastering lever technique with unisons, verifying changes with an ETD. This trains the ear to be very precise, and even better than the ETD.

John Formsma
    New Albany MS

"Sneak up on optimal."
    --Ron Nossaman

• 37.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-02-2022 11:53

I just don't agree with that. People who tune with ETDs tune ~2/3 of the piano by ear. The tuning process is a combination of aural and tactile when done aurally. Using an ETD just adds a visual component which isn't even used for most of the piano. It doesn't remove the other two or disconnect them or compromise one's skills.  I think we need to get over our purist thinking  I've heard some aural tunings that are unimpressive not to mention unstable.

Sure, someone can get accustomed to using the ETD and not continue to develop pure aural skills but that's not a problem of the device.  Aural tuners can fall into bad habits too.  The point of this discussion was how to practically reduce time so as to make earning a living possible while continuing to develop skills.  Developing skills always takes some discipline and commitment. The ETD is a tool that, in this case, will help deliver better and faster tunings if used properly while allowing the user to both work and continue to improve.  It's a no brainer to me.

The suggestion that someone should get another part time job and continue to practice for a few years before they go out in the field I think is preposterous and impractical. Whether tuning from A0 to C88 is "boring" is not really at issue. Everyone will find their own comfort zone for working. 

BTW yes I learned aurally and tuned that way for years. At this point I don't work that way anymore and have no problem with boredom. In fact I find that the tuning process is faster (especially when pitch changes are involved) less taxing and leaves me more energy for other work that require very focussed aural skills like voicing. That allows me to accomplish more in less time. It's a benefit for me and the customer. 

The other issue is that many of the pianos that a new tech will encounter are not worthy of aural practice: wiry spinets, worn out grands, dead bass strings, poorly voiced, pianos not tuned in years or decades. Is practicing aural skills on those pianos really beneficial?  I don't think so. Tuning unisons on those be ear is plenty challenging. 

Anyway I don't want to drag this down to an aural etd debate. I think that horse has been beaten to death. I stand by me recommendations. 

David Love RPT
    www.davidlovepianos.com
    davidlovepianos@comcast.net
    415 407 8320

• 38.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-02-2022 13:07
    Just to be clear, I'm not saying one is better than the other. Its not an analog/digital debate (I agree that's been beaten to death). I'm simply saying that if one injects a "decision-maker" into the process early on, one finds that there is little to no need to go through the brain training necessary to BECOME the decision-maker, and as a result they find the latter so much more difficult to do in comparison to relying on the device that they simply give up trying and use the device. 

I am not saying that they cannot learn to tune properly with the device. However, what I AM saying is that if they don't LEARN the analog/aural relationships and procedures and interval testing routines, they CANNOT judge a proper tuning from an improper one WITHOUT the device. If the device is DITW, they are DITW. And how can one aurally verify what the ETD is telling them to do if they don't KNOW these things?

Unisons are fundamentally DIFFERENT from 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, and 6ths. One tunes unisons from a different perspective from all the other intervals. (I shouldn't need to be saying this). 

I'm saying this to Joshua so that he gets the whole picture and I want him to know that he's going to be tempted to "just use the machine" and be done with it. But if he succumbs to this he may be shooting himself in the foot (so to speak) and so I am urging him to keep at it also from an analog perspective so as to get the fundamentals down and not be wholly dependent on the device. 

In the end he will decide what's best for him. That's all. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 39.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-02-2022 14:07

??Each interval has its own emotionality, and of course pianos differ in what they like. Long Steinways seem happier if stretched a little more than some other brands. They get more color. Jazz people like to have the top stretched further than will work for classical music. If a piece, like some Russian concertos, has a lot of double octaves as runs, best to avoid that last bit of stretch. But if a piece is constantly jumping up over an octave or more -- it will want the top higher, or the top note will sound flat. I call this melodic versus harmonic intonation. Too bad they both can't be ideal at once.

Jim Coleman, Sr. once did an amazing demonstration in a class. He played a note in the middle range of the piano, then went three octaves higher and asked the class (without any other tests) whether the top note was flat or sharp. Flat! He raised it until the class thought it was right. He then took his ETD and proved that they had set it more than a semitone sharp. If they had tuned three beatless single octaves, the top note would have ended up a completely different place. The octaves would sound clean, but if one jumped from the lowest to the highest note, it would have sounded grossly flat.

When the earlier ETDs started being used for recordings, I heard which were aural and which ETD, because the ETD octave 6 was always lowish and lackluster, then octave 7 would more than make up for it, going more and more sharp. Sometimes the top note was more like C# than C.

Listening to early electrical vinyl recordings, there is somewhat more variety in the intervals, but the octave stretches are really lovely, effortlessly lovely. There's a warmth and a joy in those recordings.

As a beginning tuner, it's good to play each note name -- all the A's, bottom to top, for instance -- after finishing a tuning. There's a kind of simple recognition - are they all REALLY A? It leads to a better feeling of architecture in the music. And there's a resonance in the whole instrument if this is done right, if each individual note sounds "just like itself" in every register.

It's also good practice, going into the treble, to play each note with the note a fourth and then a fifth lower. (Someone once observed that I tune to O Come All Ye Faithful.) Are they all good intervals? It keeps one from going astray by drifting sharp or flat in the high treble, and if all the octaves, fourths, and fifths are clean the whole tuning gets a real clarity. Testing open chords -- octaves with a fifth inside, or a fourth inside -- also gives one a sense of what gets a piano sounding good. And are they alike?

Unisons in particular have a flavor to them. They can be "good" unisons but have different flavors. Better if they are all the same flavor. They also test stability very well. Do they have a very long vowel sound, A or O, on and on and on without turning? Or do they have a diphthong, eeeyiaou ........................ not nice, even if it's very slow. If they start with a long long O or A sound, going on and on, and gradually change to a smeary diphthong ----------- well, it won't do. Time for more passes or some work with tuning hammer technique.

Just stating the obvious, but possibly beginners haven't thought about it yet.

• 40.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-02-2022 16:53
    If you use different tools, you will get different results. Aural (interval) tuning is an immersive experience wherein the tuner balances the entire spectrum by referencing the harmonic content (aurally) of the instrument. Susan mentions swimming in the sound, it's dimensional. For me it's like a walk in the park, it has a terrain, sometimes I think of the partials as leaves in the trees. This is all in an aural space. The ETD in it's use as a tool is a different process, rather than literally feeling one's way, the ETD provides a map via math and dead reckoning, the path is basically drawn before one begins; the topography has already been parsed, the targets set though there is provision for analysis and input from the practitioner. The processes are quite different. Of course both methods have strengths and weaknesses. For example, if the room temperature changes a few degrees while tuning the instrument's overall pitch will shift, an aural tuner using only what they are hearing for reference will shift with it, an ETD has already charted its course and can't deviate.
    EDT's are more precise, aural tunings are more flexible. Imagine a piece of wood. Using a CNC machine the planes are perfectly flat, the lines are perfectly straight. Using a block plane and perhaps some sand paper, the planes and lines will be less perfect but the crafts person using their senses, might bring out the shine and flashing of the grain, the result might be more beautiful.
    But in the real world there are practical considerations to the business of piano tuning and the pianos and environments that they are in are as often as not, less than stellar. What I have found personally, after 32 years of aural tuning and then almost 15 years employing an ETD is that in general the ETD tunings are more precise and stable over time. The ETD provides information that allows for "floating the A" such that an instrument that is actually very close to being in tune with itself cans stay there rather than forcing it to hew a few cents in either direction to a standard pitch, a precise analysis across the compass of the piano can be done in about a minute. In some ways the ETD adds flexibility, different temperaments and stretches can be consistently applied. I resisted tuning from A0 up to C88 until last year, primarily because it seems so unaesthetic and one can't employ interval checks until one is already far along in the tuning. But I have to say that I find that the middle section stays where I put it better after the first pass using this method and for some reason shaves a few minutes off the tuning especially if there is a pitch adjustment of over 4 or 5 cents and certainly for large pitch adjustments. I agree, it's kind of a dumb way to do it rather than luxuriating in the sea of intervals, but I'm getting better results. One can't compare different methodologies if they don't try them.
    Honestly, I think that even for strict aural tuners, they would do themselves a favor if the they did pitch raises using an ETD wherein the overpull is precisely calculated for each individual note and unisons are pulled up simultaneously and save their ears for fine tuning. The Cyber Tuner has been mentioned but there are 4 or 5 devices that can deliver excellent results, some very moderately priced.
    David Love's protocol for beginners, using an ETD in the field and rigorously practicing aural tuning in private sounds like a good one but the student must be disciplined to carry it through. Mentorship is clearly of supreme importance and a shop environment. I don't see anything wrong with having a "day job" while one hones one's skills, if you aren't proficient in basic action regulation and repair and string replacement, you probably shouldn't be going into people's homes and selling your services, you are bound to soon get into trouble. There's no substitute for confidence in one's abilities. The notion that someone can get a machine and in a few short months go out and charge even half the rate of a qualified technician is, in my opinion, specious and bordering on unethical. I don't think the PTG should endorse this kind of thinking.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129
    -------------------------------------------
    Original Message:
    Sent: 08-02-2022 14:07
    Subject: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

??Each interval has its own emotionality, and of course pianos differ in what they like. Long Steinways seem happier if stretched a little more than some other brands. They get more color. Jazz people like to have the top stretched further than will work for classical music. If a piece, like some Russian concertos, has a lot of double octaves as runs, best to avoid that last bit of stretch. But if a piece is constantly jumping up over an octave or more -- it will want the top higher, or the top note will sound flat. I call this melodic versus harmonic intonation. Too bad they both can't be ideal at once.

Jim Coleman, Sr. once did an amazing demonstration in a class. He played a note in the middle range of the piano, then went three octaves higher and asked the class (without any other tests) whether the top note was flat or sharp. Flat! He raised it until the class thought it was right. He then took his ETD and proved that they had set it more than a semitone sharp. If they had tuned three beatless single octaves, the top note would have ended up a completely different place. The octaves would sound clean, but if one jumped from the lowest to the highest note, it would have sounded grossly flat.

When the earlier ETDs started being used for recordings, I heard which were aural and which ETD, because the ETD octave 6 was always lowish and lackluster, then octave 7 would more than make up for it, going more and more sharp. Sometimes the top note was more like C# than C.

Listening to early electrical vinyl recordings, there is somewhat more variety in the intervals, but the octave stretches are really lovely, effortlessly lovely. There's a warmth and a joy in those recordings.

As a beginning tuner, it's good to play each note name -- all the A's, bottom to top, for instance -- after finishing a tuning. There's a kind of simple recognition - are they all REALLY A? It leads to a better feeling of architecture in the music. And there's a resonance in the whole instrument if this is done right, if each individual note sounds "just like itself" in every register.

It's also good practice, going into the treble, to play each note with the note a fourth and then a fifth lower. (Someone once observed that I tune to O Come All Ye Faithful.) Are they all good intervals? It keeps one from going astray by drifting sharp or flat in the high treble, and if all the octaves, fourths, and fifths are clean the whole tuning gets a real clarity. Testing open chords -- octaves with a fifth inside, or a fourth inside -- also gives one a sense of what gets a piano sounding good. And are they alike?

Unisons in particular have a flavor to them. They can be "good" unisons but have different flavors. Better if they are all the same flavor. They also test stability very well. Do they have a very long vowel sound, A or O, on and on and on without turning? Or do they have a diphthong, eeeyiaou ........................ not nice, even if it's very slow. If they start with a long long O or A sound, going on and on, and gradually change to a smeary diphthong ----------- well, it won't do. Time for more passes or some work with tuning hammer technique.

Just stating the obvious, but possibly beginners haven't thought about it yet.

Original Message:
    Sent: 8/2/2022 1:07:00 PM
    Subject: RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Just to be clear, I'm not saying one is better than the other. Its not an analog/digital debate (I agree that's been beaten to death). I'm simply saying that if one injects a "decision-maker" into the process early on, one finds that there is little to no need to go through the brain training necessary to BECOME the decision-maker, and as a result they find the latter so much more difficult to do in comparison to relying on the device that they simply give up trying and use the device.

I am not saying that they cannot learn to tune properly with the device. However, what I AM saying is that if they don't LEARN the analog/aural relationships and procedures and interval testing routines, they CANNOT judge a proper tuning from an improper one WITHOUT the device. If the device is DITW, they are DITW. And how can one aurally verify what the ETD is telling them to do if they don't KNOW these things?

Unisons are fundamentally DIFFERENT from 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, and 6ths. One tunes unisons from a different perspective from all the other intervals. (I shouldn't need to be saying this).

I'm saying this to Joshua so that he gets the whole picture and I want him to know that he's going to be tempted to "just use the machine" and be done with it. But if he succumbs to this he may be shooting himself in the foot (so to speak) and so I am urging him to keep at it also from an analog perspective so as to get the fundamentals down and not be wholly dependent on the device.

In the end he will decide what's best for him. That's all.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

Original Message:
    Sent: 08-02-2022 11:53

I just don't agree with that. People who tune with ETDs tune ~2/3 of the piano by ear. The tuning process is a combination of aural and tactile when done aurally. Using an ETD just adds a visual component which isn't even used for most of the piano. It doesn't remove the other two or disconnect them or compromise one's skills.  I think we need to get over our purist thinking  I've heard some aural tunings that are unimpressive not to mention unstable.

Sure, someone can get accustomed to using the ETD and not continue to develop pure aural skills but that's not a problem of the device.  Aural tuners can fall into bad habits too.  The point of this discussion was how to practically reduce time so as to make earning a living possible while continuing to develop skills.  Developing skills always takes some discipline and commitment. The ETD is a tool that, in this case, will help deliver better and faster tunings if used properly while allowing the user to both work and continue to improve.  It's a no brainer to me.

The suggestion that someone should get another part time job and continue to practice for a few years before they go out in the field I think is preposterous and impractical. Whether tuning from A0 to C88 is "boring" is not really at issue. Everyone will find their own comfort zone for working. 

BTW yes I learned aurally and tuned that way for years. At this point I don't work that way anymore and have no problem with boredom. In fact I find that the tuning process is faster (especially when pitch changes are involved) less taxing and leaves me more energy for other work that require very focussed aural skills like voicing. That allows me to accomplish more in less time. It's a benefit for me and the customer. 

The other issue is that many of the pianos that a new tech will encounter are not worthy of aural practice: wiry spinets, worn out grands, dead bass strings, poorly voiced, pianos not tuned in years or decades. Is practicing aural skills on those pianos really beneficial?  I don't think so. Tuning unisons on those be ear is plenty challenging. 

Anyway I don't want to drag this down to an aural etd debate. I think that horse has been beaten to death. I stand by me recommendations. 

David Love RPT
    www.davidlovepianos.com
    415 407 8320

Original Message:
    Sent: 08-02-2022 08:24

The ETD concentrates your mental focus on the visual, whereas analog tuning focuses your concentration on hearing AND the physicality of "setting the pins". It is an entirely different experience.

My experience tells me that if you decide early on to go down the ETD route, you WILL end up tuning with an ETD. It's affects the brain in a similar way to a drug.

It's different if one masters analog tuning and practices it for years but then brings in the ETD (however it still affects the brain the same way but at least it can be put aside if needed).

I know I'm going to get blowback with that statement, but I'm calling as I see it over 47 years of doing this.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

Original Message:
    Sent: 08-02-2022 02:50

Hi, David

<<However, you'll get aural tuning practice even with an ETD because you will be tuning unisons by ear.>>

For educating one's ears and improving one's connections to the instrument with its different resonance and registers, touch response, intervals, octave stretch, and so on as they relate to music, that seems awfully like a starvation diet.

However, if the main or necessary goal is to start bringing in an income, it probably is the fastest way.

I once sat, totally silent at a reasonable distance, and watched someone tune a piano using an ETD. Started on A0, went upwards by semitones to C88, then tuned unisons by ear. It looked like a brutally boring way to spend time, also physically repetitive enough to make one sore and tired. After it was finished the person doing it played a piece on the piano. It didn't sound out of tune. I couldn't say it had much warmth, either, but the main problem was having to spend time that close to a piano but utterly removed from what it could do.

Surely it would be a better plan, if the immediate need for income was so pressing, to get a part time job, and go about one's piano learning in a little bit more enhanced manner?

Original Message:
    Sent: 8/2/2022 2:28:00 AM

Lots of input here but here's my input FWIW.  Some of this has been covered. 
    There's no substitute for practice and experience but If the goal is to get out in the field as soon as possible and make a living buy a Reyburn CyberTuner. That will solve pitch correction issues that can be time killers by using the smart tune function. All tunings should be two pass tunings (more if the pitch correction is significant).  
    Tune the first pass as quickly as possible but setting the pin/string/pitch, however you want to think about it. Tune with a single mute tuning the left string first, center string to the left string and right string to the other two. Focus on clean and stable unisons. The second pass will tell you how well you did. 
    When you practice, focus on the least amount of pin movement possible and learn to feel the pin movement in your fingers. This is important.  Until you can learn to feel the pin move and control it you will have a hard time gaining speed-and stability. 
    The ETD is a great tool for checking tuning stability and for monitoring your technique for minimal pin movement.  
    When learning you will burn the most time with the temperament tuning by ear. Save it for home practice.  ETDs set temperaments as well as any ear. 
    When you're not working, practice by tuning your own piano 3 times each day. Start just getting it in tune at pitch (440). Second tuning raise the pitch to 441.  Third tuning lower the pitch back to 440. Don't waste time detuning the piano. That will give you practice tuning from above and below.  Go back to the piano the next day and see how the unisons held before you start another practice session. 
    The goal is the least amount of pitch movement to get to your target and to be conscious of when the pitch is stable. The ETD and unison tuning will help you with that.  You can also use the ETD to check high unison tuning while you're learning to hear that. Tuning clean unisons in the high treble is more about learning the "quality" that a clean unison has. 
    Make sure you have a quality tuning lever but more important make sure you have quality tuning tips that fit the tuning pins well!!!  Can't emphasize that enough. You will not learn to feel the pin or control it without a properly fitting tuning tip.  Tune grands and uprights from the 12:00-2:00 position. The high treble can shift to 10:00 - 12:00. 
    Remember that pin setting is opposite on grands and uprights. On grands, the force from the lever on the pin (from the positions I mentioned) tends to pull the pitch sharp from which you might have to settle it back down. On uprights, the force tends to pull the pitch flat so don't overshoot the target on uprights as much if at all.   The closer you are to 12:00 the less pin flexing will affect the pitch. 

Save pure aural tuning for home practice until you are competent but don't neglect some practice there. However, you'll get aural tuning practice even with an ETD because you will be tuning unisons by ear.

My typical first pass takes about 30-40  minutes and the second pass about 10-15 minutes. You should shoot for about twice that at first. No longer than 90-100 minutes for both passes.  Longer than that is too exhausting and hard to maintain your concentration. Take a break if needed, just a few minutes of silence will clear your ears. 

It's better to engage in some intensive practice at home until you can get to that level than it is to go out and spend 4-5 hours doing what probably is a mediocre job. Nobody really wants you there that long unless you're doing work that actually takes that long and you want to instill some confidence that you know what you're doing if you want to be hired back. 

Stick with it. 

Original Message:
    Sent: 8/1/2022 9:22:00 PM

Gary,

Being aural/analog only I do pretty much as Susan does, only I typically will go no more than 10 cents over on the first pass. Second pass is treated as a normal 30% overall. 3rd finds outliers and errors and refines everything.

I also lube the counterbearing points with CBL before doing anything...always.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

Original Message:
    Sent: 07-30-2022 11:12

Joshua,
    You're getting loads of great ideas here but as a beginner, I think you're going have to sort through all these suggestions and pick a few to focus on. I'm still not very fast and after 25 years, I'm still working on it.
    Having said that, here's a few ideas: You're going to be making at least two passes so work on speeding up the first pass. Don't be too fussy with getting everything perfect. Try to keep moving, you'll have time to get it closer later. The two conflicting things I think about here are 1. Getting it closer (more perfect) on the first pass will save me time on subsequent passes...verses 2. Getting it close enough and moving faster will give me more time on final pass when it really matters because that in fact will be the end product. So with this in mind, as you progress, you'll figure out the balance between A. as perfect as you are able and B. close enough for the initial pass (passes?). Along these lines, advice I have received is, "On a pitch raise, "DON'T set the string and DON'T set the pin." I have to admit, I don't always do this (maybe that's why I'm still slow?)
    I use an EDT which I think makes pitch raises much easier. I believe many "aural only" tuners have migrated to using EDTs at least for pitch raises these days. (maybe some of you would like to comment on this?) You probably know about overpull. An EDT can calculate an overpull target. If you wanted to tune aurally but use the help of an ETD, I suppose one way would be is to first determine the overall overpull with the ETD. You might measure several strings the the mid and treble sections and and see on average how flat you are and how much overpull you need. Once you determine that you can set A4 to the elevated pitch and tune aurally from there. You might find you need different overpull values for different sections.
    Also, even if you use an ETD for the entire pitch raise, tune all unisons aurally. 2 reasons: It's faster and beginners need practice tuning unisons...its the most important interval! If you want to use an ETD for each string of a unison, save that for the final pass. In my opinion, even an ETD tuner should be able to tune a clean unison aurally, (and probably know how to set an equal temperament too).
    Finally, one last thing that I have done a couple times lately is to use a stopwatch app on my phone; I hit the "lap" button every octave. If you do this, it may help to push you along.
    Gary

Original Message:
    Sent: 7/29/2022 4:57:00 AM

Hi Joshua
    Further to my last contribution on using an ETD I suspect that your trouble is tuning all the centre strings and then the unisons. I tune all three strings at once with the ETD. I often find with the ETD that after tuning left and right string, the centre string has slipped so I retune it and check the unisons of left and right string by ear to make sure all is well. If you tune only the centre string then all your subsequent scale notes are subject to the error inherent in relying on just one string and then finding that your whole tuning is out. Tuning all three at once immediately shows up any error and enables you to proceed with confidence and swiftly. I tune A4 to C5 and then downwards to the bass.
    There are no doubt as many variations on ways to do things but this way works for me and well.
    Best wishes
    David P
    --
    +44 1342 850594

Original Message:
    Sent: 7/28/2022 6:31:00 PM

Thanks for thorough comment, Peter.

To answer:

1.) The mid-high treble and unisons, most definitely

2.) I tune all center strings, and unisons are last.

3.) 3rds, 5ths and wide intervals I hear fairly well. 4ths are probably my least discernable.

The rest is also informative. Thanks

Joshua Dellinger
    Maiden, NC
    (828) 705-1732

Original Message:
    Sent: 07-28-2022 17:33

Joshua,

I'm going to ask you some questions, and also give you some advice:

Q1) What aspect seems to eat up a large portion of time for you? Temperament, bass  treble, unisons, pitch raising?...primarily which?

Q2) Do you tune unisons as you go (strip mute the center...) or something else?

Q3) What intervals do HEAR best? (e.g. I hear 3rds, 4ths, and 6ths best...not so great on 5ths) This is important because you want to create a temperament scheme that maximizes usage of intervals you hear easily. More on that later.

A1) Practicing: It has been proven that you can flatten your learning curve significantly by practicing a "lesson" just before going to bed at night, then AGAIN immediately upon waking up in the morning before doing anything else.

So, you need to practice with a purpose and practice smart. Let's say for example that you want to speed up your setting of the temperament (many spend way too much time on this). So, set aside a 10-15 minute practice period (no more) just before bed to set a temperament (aurally/analog). Don't spend more than 30 seconds on any one note. Even if not perfect, don't worry but move on to the next, and the next. 6 or 7 minutes max. Then analyze it for the remaining time without correcting anything. (Using aural/analog tests...perhaps your ETD as well if you want).

Now in the morning just after getting up DO THE EXACT SAME THING again, refining it a little more. 15 min max. Then leave it. Drink coffee, etc.  Repeat this pattern every night and morning for a week. You will notice marked improvement in your temperament setting speed and accuracy.

A2) MEMORIZE the timing of seconds. You can do this anytime anywhere. You must be able to count seconds with very high accuracy (without any outside reference ultimately).

A3) Once you get seconds you need to accurately tap 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 bps with your fingers or teeth. This must become highly accurate. They are easy if you have rhythm. 5 and 7 bps are harder, but they are in between the others so if you can do all the others you can deduce the hard ones from there.

That's it for now. More later.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

Original Message:
    Sent: 07-28-2022 13:30

Joshua,

One thing that has not been mentioned yet is that: "You can't tune a piano unless it is in tune"

In other words, if you have to move the overall pitch more than + or - about 3 cents you should plan on a rough pass and then a fine pass.

Sometimes, raising pitch 1/4 or 1/2 step requires 3 passes. (or 2 1/2)

Eventually you will get to doing a rough pass in 20 to 30 minutes. "You can't tune a piano unless it is in tune"

Keep practicing, It will get better.

Tremaine Parsons RPT
    Georgetown CA
    (530) 333-9299

Original Message:
    Sent: 07-28-2022 12:10

Hi all,

When I started with Steve Brady, he gave me a sheet to fill out. 100 pianos!  Dates and time taken to tune, how flat were they? Etc.

Fortunately, I was able to tune a ton of practice grands at the Univ. of Wa where he was at the time.  Also my own 1946 Aldrich console with aluminum plate!  (I figured that if I could tune that one, I could tune about anything!)

Nice to watch the tuning time go down consistently through the 100.  My first tuning after getting the basics was about 6 hours!  I was absolutely wiped out after those first few.  Times went down dramatically at first, then hit a 2-3 hour stagnation.  Steve told me about plateus you hit while learning until an "aha" moment kicks in.  Yes it did.  Suddenly, my tuning times went down to about 1.5 hours. That's when I started my business.

Of course, in a University setting, you get really good at tuning in an hour or even less as open times in certain rooms can get crunched.

All you can do is just keep crunching and tuning and tuning.

After 33 years now, I consider over 1.5 hours a difficult tuning (not counting pitch corrections)

Keep on keeping on!  You'll get it.

Paul

Original Message:
    Sent: 7/28/2022 11:08:00 AM

Joshua,
    Bill Ballard beat me to it: you have to treat tuning like learning a musical instrument: You can't just blow through fast passages without a lot of practice. There's no magic way to shortcut the process except deliberate, constant practice.

Other responders have beaten me to my other thought: charging may be premature at this point. You've put yourself in a precarious position by "having" to make a living at it NOW.

Not so fast. Back to the musician analogy: If you're not ready to perform, you can't force yourself onstage.
    Music students (or even professionals) who prematurely attempt recitals, competitions, or auditions risk a negative feedback loop of poor self-confidence when things go poorly.

As far as pricing, I think it's fair to say (legal to say?) you probably shouldn't be charging market rate, whatever that is. Let's say it's half, and you're taking 4-5 hours. At that point, you'd be just as well off taking some other job in the meantime, and preserving your reputation. Remember that tuning isn't steady work in the beginning--you can't count on tunings coming in every day. The general job market is hot right now. Take advantage of that until you get your times down.

Customers often have long memories, and I hear them complain, "I remember Joe 10 years years ago--he took hours" or "That other tuner Bill seemed grumpy" or whatever. You should not risk your reputation by accepting paying work too early. Especially with social media apps like Nextdoor or FB. People like to gripe online before they call you when there's a problem. In fact, we've seen in on these forums: people complaining about a company or service first before actually calling the company to get the problem resolved.

Some have advised against using an ETD. I'm not in that camp. From the beginning, I used Veritune, and for just the reasons above: I did NOT want to be in the customer's house 3, 4, or 5 hours. Especially as the light faded and they started dinner and tried to keep the house quiet hour after hour. It's not fair to the customer. Perfect aural tuning on your own time if you must tune for home customers. If you're in a church basement, fine, take your time.

I'm still early in my career (8 years, 5 as an RPT), and I'm always interested in getting my own tuning times down. I take 25 minutes to pitch raise, another 25 to fine-tune, and about 20 to perfect the unisons. Fine pianos take me a little longer if they are very clean sounding. Some of reducing time has to do with eliminating the "not-tuning time": how are you using mutes? How much time is spent between turning the pins? Are you obsessing on the outer octaves? Anyone seen Isaac Sadigursky's 2-minute pitch raise?

One last analogy (I think I used this in an article last year): If you're baking a cake, you can't speed it up by cranking the heat to 500 degrees. You just have to let it bake.

Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

Original Message:
    Sent: 07-28-2022 09:19

It's like good musicianship: if you get a passage/excercize to come through at a slow tempo, I mean, allow your muscle memory to get thoroughly relaxed and comfortable with it, it will reliably ramp up to any tempo you want.

I'm sorry to hear that you're immediately depending on the income. When I first set out from the N. Bennett St. school in FEB '72, the best I could muster was a 9A and a 1P. And that was with the advantage of a thorough understanding of the fabric formed by all of these partials. Two years later, I was up to a 9A, 11A, 1P and a 3P. Fortunately, my then-wife had a steady paycheck.

Keep two things in mind: 1.) You can't tune a piano unless it's in tune already, and 2.) you can't tune a piano unless you've already tuned a thousand. You may be jeopardizing the long-term prospects of your career move.

William Ballard RPT
    WBPS
    Saxtons River VT
    802-869-9107

"Our lives contain a thousand springs
    and dies if one be gone
    Strange that a harp of a thousand strings
    should keep in tune so long."
    ...........Dr. Watts, "The Continental Harmony,1774
    +++++++++++++++++++++

Original Message:
    Sent: 07-27-2022 19:48

Hi, Folks. I'm a beginner who started business the middle of this month. Previous to this, I finished the tuning section on Rick Butler's course. I've begun tuning for my first client, which is probably the most suitable I could hope for: a county school system. I have my first in-home client this Friday, (whom I've duly warned of what I'm about to mention.)

I have a serious problem that's plaguing me: my tuning time is terrible. So far, unless the piano is already partly in tune, I've faced times upwards of 4.5-5 hours. This, of course, isn't great. In fact, it's no good, and it's exhausting.

Granted, some practice tunings aside, I am only on my 10th paid tuning. That said, this just seems untenable. I'm wondering if I'm not just being a bit perfectionist in my tunings, as even after such a lengthy tuning, I'm still often disatisfied. I'd hate the idea of delivering a bad tuning, but I'm beginning to see I may risk poor service all the same by taking so long.

On the advice of another tuner, I'm planing to start really limiting myself in time; having an overall time limit (maybe starting with 3hrs), as well as limits on certain parts, like tuning the treble, unisons, etc., doing my best within those constraints, then moving on.

In any case, I wanted to ask y'all about your experience as a beginner, your perspective on what I've said, and how you'd advise me to help address it.

I'm grateful for any input. Thank you very much

Joshua Dellinger
    Maiden, NC

• 41.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-02-2022 17:27
    I'd like to add one more thing. While it's worth our while here to split hairs as that is our business, the thing that trumps all the nuances we describe and strive for is the musicality of the person playing the instrument. That musicality far outweighs what are usually very minor differences in our approaches and methods.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 42.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-02-2022 18:13

Steven, I think you followed me along the path I wrote down very well. Thank you for taking the time and effort.

• 43.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-02-2022 13:19

To each his own, David.

I tuned innumerable crummy pianos in my earlier years, and fighting horrible false unisons and trying to optimize horrible scales with short bass strings did build my capacities.

As for ear versus eye tuning, I'd rather swim in the sound than stare at something. It's just a richer environment. Like Virgil Smith, I listen to the whole sound instead of dividing the partials.

But nothing says you have to, if A0 straight up to C88 makes your day.

• 44.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-02-2022 20:08
    I know and I used to walk to school through the snow with bare feet, 7 miles!  

I tuned lousy pianos by ear for years as well.  I don't think I'm any better for it, honestly.  Nor do I wear it as a badge on honor.  It's just what I had to deal with at the time.   Now I turn them down by choice even with an RCT to make it easier.  In fact my RPT test was on a piano that was later DQ'd as an acceptable instrument!  Passed.  Been there done that.    

The point of the discussion is how can Joshua increase his speed, accuracy and stability and make a living while he continues to develop his skills.  That's what I commented on.  I'm not interested in arguing about the spiritual benefits of tuning aurally.  The larger question is how long should someone practice before then can go out and tune for a living.  The answer is when they can perform an acceptable tuning in a reasonable amount of time.  That time might vary from person to person depending on their commitment, natural skill set, ability to practice, mentoring (if available) etc.  I recall attending a seminar by Jim Coleman who was mentoring someone and felt they could go out and tune within a couple of months of practice using an SAT.  Yet Steven R is suggesting that might be unethical???  Really?

It's only unethical if you truly don't know what you're doing, are doing harm to the piano and charging money for that and misrepresenting yourself.  Skill sets in this trade vary widely.  Some people don't do much more than tune the piano.  That's ok with me.  I can do a lot more now than when I started.  

I don't really buy into this woo woo approach to tuning a piano.  Obviously there is some objective criteria about whether a piano is in tune or not--or we wouldn't have tuning tests presumably.  The question of whether it's boring or whether you can develop a true connection to the piano using a device is a personal thing.  BTW your description of a person tuning from A0 - C88 and then going back and tuning unisons is atypical.  Most people tune unisons as they go.  

My connection to the instrument is no less profound than yours even though I use a different method and it's presumptuous to assume that it is.  I probably find that connection through voicing more than tuning when you're listening to multiple things simultaneously (including the tuning), and through refining touch dynamics that allow the pianist to engage with the instrument in a very predictable way.  I'm not doing this for personal pleasure, even though I enjoy my work.  I'm doing this to satisfy the customer and their specific needs.  That means I want to accomplish as much as I can in the time that's allotted.  For me, tuning hybrid style is the fastest and most efficient way to tune and with the current technology (RCT with AI) I find that the tunings are indistinguishable from what I would do aurally--and I'm no hack.  I don't worry about getting bored if I'm only tuning for 45 minutes.  It's within my attention span.  But that leaves me over an hour on a two hour appointment and over 3 hours on a 4 hour appointment with relatively fresh ears to address everything else and really leave the piano where I would like to.  Focusing your hearing and tactile senses for 4 hours at a high level is challenging.  Whatever makes it easier and leaves me some bandwidth without compromising quality I'm strongly in favor of. 

In Joshua's case, he completed a course on tuning, has an institutional gig where he can practice on, probably, sub par pianos with no time constraints, and now he wants to focus on private customers.  I say go for it--don't let people suggest what you're doing is "unethical".  It's how you learn and develop.  Use the tools that are available to make your work easier and bring your time down into the realm of basic professional standards.  Continue to practice (in spite of those who say you won't if you use a device) and try and follow up your own tunings at the county school where you work to assess your stability over a week, two weeks, a month, etc.  Save the quest for spiritual tuning epiphanies for another day.

David Love RPT
    www.davidlovepianos.com
    415 407 8320

• 45.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-02-2022 20:45
    Hi, David,

Spot on.

Kind regards.

Horace

On 8/2/2022 5:07 PM, David Love via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    > I know and I used to walk to school through the snow with bare feet, 7 miles!????
    >
    > I tuned lousy pianos by ear for years as well.?? I don't think I'm any better for it, honestly.?? Nor do I wear it as a badge on honor.?? It's just what I had to deal with at the time.?? ??Now I turn them down by choice even with an RCT to make it easier.?? In fact my RPT test was on a piano that was later DQ'd as an acceptable instrument!?? Passed.?? Been there done that.?? ????
    >
    > The point of the discussion is how can Joshua increase his speed, accuracy and stability and make a living while he continues to develop his skills.?? That's what I commented on.?? I'm not interested in arguing about the spiritual benefits of tuning aurally.?? The larger question is how long should someone practice before then can go out and tune for a living.?? The answer is when they can perform an acceptable tuning in a reasonable amount of time.?? That time might vary from person to person depending on their commitment, natural skill set, ability to practice, mentoring (if available) etc.?? I recall attending a seminar by Jim Coleman who was mentoring someone and felt they could go out and tune within a couple of months of practice using an SAT.?? Yet Steven R is suggesting that might be unethical????? Really?
    >
    > It's only unethical if you truly don't know what you're doing, are doing harm to the piano and charging money for that and misrepresenting yourself.?? Skill sets in this trade vary widely.?? Some people don't do much more than tune the piano.?? That's ok with me.?? I can do a lot more now than when I started.????
    >
    > I don't really buy into this woo woo approach to tuning a piano.?? Obviously there is some objective criteria about whether a piano is in tune or not--or we wouldn't have tuning tests presumably.?? The question of whether it's boring or whether you can develop a true connection to the piano using a device is a personal thing.?? BTW your description of a person tuning from A0 - C88 and then going back and tuning unisons is atypical.?? Most people tune unisons as they go.????
    >
    > My connection to the instrument is no less profound than yours even though I use a different method and it's presumptuous to assume that it is.?? I probably find that connection through voicing more than tuning when you're listening to multiple things simultaneously (including the tuning), and through refining touch dynamics that allow the pianist to engage with the instrument in a very predictable way.?? I'm not doing this for personal pleasure, even though I enjoy my work.?? I'm doing this to satisfy the customer and their specific needs.?? That means I want to accomplish as much as I can in the time that's allotted.?? For me, tuning hybrid style is the fastest and most efficient way to tune and with the current technology (RCT with AI) I find that the tunings are indistinguishable from what I would do aurally--and I'm no hack.?? I don't worry about getting bored if I'm only tuning for 45 minutes.?? It's within my attention span.?? But that leaves me over an hour on a tw!
    o hour appointment
    > and over 3 hours on a 4 hour appointment with relatively fresh ears to address everything else and really leave the piano where I would like to.?? Focusing your hearing and tactile senses for 4 hours at a high level is challenging.?? Whatever makes it easier and leaves me some bandwidth without compromising quality I'm strongly in favor of.??
    >
    > In Joshua's case, he completed a course on tuning, has an institutional gig where he can practice on, probably, sub par pianos with no time constraints, and now he wants to focus on private customers.?? I say go for it--don't let people suggest what you're doing is "unethical".?? It's how you learn and develop.?? Use the tools that are available to make your work easier and bring your time down into the realm of basic professional standards.?? Continue to practice (in spite of those who say you won't if you use a device) and try and follow up your own tunings at the county school where you work to assess your stability over a week, two weeks, a month, etc.?? Save the quest for spiritual tuning epiphanies for another day.
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > David Love RPT
    > www.davidlovepianos.com
    > davidlovepianos@comcast.net
    > 415 407 8320
    > -------------------------------------------
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 08-02-2022 13:18
    > From: Susan Kline
    > Subject: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time
    >
    >
    > To each his own, David.
    >
    >
    > I tuned innumerable crummy pianos in my earlier years, and fighting horrible false unisons and trying to optimize horrible scales with short bass strings did build my capacities.
    >
    >
    > As for ear versus eye tuning, I'd rather swim in the sound than stare at something. It's just a richer environment. Like Virgil Smith, I listen to the whole sound instead of dividing the partials.
    >
    >
    > But nothing says you have to, if A0 straight up to C88 makes your day.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 8/2/2022 11:53:00 AM
    > From: David Love
    > Subject: RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time
    >
    >
    > I just don't agree with that. People who tune with ETDs tune ~2/3 of the piano by ear. The tuning process is a combination of aural and tactile when done aurally. Using an ETD just adds a visual component which isn't even used for most of the piano. It doesn't remove the other two or disconnect them or compromise one's skills. ??I think we need to get over our purist thinking ??I've heard some aural tunings that are unimpressive not to mention unstable.
    >
    > Sure, someone can get accustomed to using the ETD and not continue to develop pure aural skills but that's not a problem of the device. ??Aural tuners can fall into bad habits too. ??The point of this discussion was how to practically reduce time so as to make earning a living possible while continuing to develop skills. ??Developing skills always takes some discipline and commitment. The ETD is a tool that, in this case, will help deliver better and faster tunings if used properly while allowing the user to both work and continue to improve. ??It's a no brainer to me.
    >
    > The suggestion that someone should get another part time job and continue to practice for a few years before they go out in the field I think is preposterous and impractical. Whether tuning from A0 to C88 is "boring" is not really at issue. Everyone will find their own comfort zone for working.??
    >
    > BTW yes I learned aurally and tuned that way for years. At this point I don't work that way anymore and have no problem with boredom. In fact I find that the tuning process is faster (especially when pitch changes are involved) less taxing and leaves me more energy for other work that require very focussed aural skills like voicing. That allows me to accomplish more in less time. It's a benefit for me and the customer.??
    >
    > The other issue is that many of the pianos that a new tech will encounter are not worthy of aural practice: wiry spinets, worn out grands, dead bass strings, poorly voiced, pianos not tuned in years or decades. Is practicing aural skills on those pianos really beneficial? ??I don't think so. Tuning unisons on those be ear is plenty challenging.??
    >
    > Anyway I don't want to drag this down to an aural etd debate. I think that horse has been beaten to death. I stand by me recommendations.??
    >
    >
    > David Love RPT
    > www.davidlovepianos.com <http: www.davidlovepianos.com="">
    > davidlovepianos@comcast.net <davidlovepianos@comcast.net>
    > 415 407 8320
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 08-02-2022 08:24
    > From: Peter Grey
    >
    > The ETD concentrates your mental focus on the visual, whereas analog tuning focuses your concentration on hearing AND the physicality of "setting the pins". It is an entirely different experience.
    >
    > My experience tells me that if you decide early on to go down the ETD route, you WILL end up tuning with an ETD. It's affects the brain in a similar way to a drug.
    >
    > It's different if one masters analog tuning and practices it for years but then brings in the ETD (however it still affects the brain the same way but at least it can be put aside if needed).
    >
    > I know I'm going to get blowback with that statement, but I'm calling as I see it over 47 years of doing this.
    >
    > Peter Grey Piano Doctor
    >
    > Peter Grey
    > Stratham NH
    > (603) 686-2395
    > pianodoctor57@gmail.com <pianodoctor57@gmail.com>
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 08-02-2022 02:50
    > From: Susan Kline
    >
    >
    > Hi, David
    >
    >
    > <<however, you'll="" get="" aural="" tuning="" practice="" even="" with="" an="" etd="" because="" you="" will="" be="" tuning="" unisons="" by="" ear.="">>
    >
    > For educating one's ears and improving one's connections to the instrument with its different resonance and registers, touch response, intervals, octave stretch, and so on as they relate to music, that seems awfully like a starvation diet.
    >
    >
    > However, if the main or necessary goal is to start bringing in an income, it probably is the fastest way.
    >
    >
    > I once sat, totally silent at a reasonable distance, and watched someone tune a piano using an ETD. Started on A0, went upwards by semitones to C88, then tuned unisons by ear. It looked like a brutally boring way to spend time, also physically repetitive enough to make one sore and tired. After it was finished the person doing it played a piece on the piano. It didn't sound out of tune. I couldn't say it had much warmth, either, but the main problem was having to spend time that close to a piano but utterly removed from what it could do.
    >
    >
    > Surely it would be a better plan, if the immediate need for income was so pressing, to get a part time job, and go about one's piano learning in a little bit more enhanced manner?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 8/2/2022 2:28:00 AM
    > From: David Love
    >
    > Lots of input here but here's my input FWIW. Some of this has been covered.
    > There's no substitute for practice and experience but If the goal is to get out in the field as soon as possible and make a living buy a Reyburn CyberTuner. That will solve pitch correction issues that can be time killers by using the smart tune function. All tunings should be two pass tunings (more if the pitch correction is significant).
    > Tune the first pass as quickly as possible but setting the pin/string/pitch, however you want to think about it. Tune with a single mute tuning the left string first, center string to the left string and right string to the other two. Focus on clean and stable unisons. The second pass will tell you how well you did.
    > When you practice, focus on the least amount of pin movement possible and learn to feel the pin movement in your fingers. This is important. Until you can learn to feel the pin move and control it you will have a hard time gaining speed-and stability.
    > The ETD is a great tool for checking tuning stability and for monitoring your technique for minimal pin movement.
    > When learning you will burn the most time with the temperament tuning by ear. Save it for home practice. ETDs set temperaments as well as any ear.
    > When you're not working, practice by tuning your own piano 3 times each day. Start just getting it in tune at pitch (440). Second tuning raise the pitch to 441. Third tuning lower the pitch back to 440. Don't waste time detuning the piano. That will give you practice tuning from above and below. Go back to the piano the next day and see how the unisons held before you start another practice session.
    > The goal is the least amount of pitch movement to get to your target and to be conscious of when the pitch is stable. The ETD and unison tuning will help you with that. You can also use the ETD to check high unison tuning while you're learning to hear that. Tuning clean unisons in the high treble is more about learning the "quality" that a clean unison has.
    > Make sure you have a quality tuning lever but more important make sure you have quality tuning tips that fit the tuning pins well!!! Can't emphasize that enough. You will not learn to feel the pin or control it without a properly fitting tuning tip. Tune grands and uprights from the 12:00-2:00 position. The high treble can shift to 10:00 - 12:00.
    > Remember that pin setting is opposite on grands and uprights. On grands, the force from the lever on the pin (from the positions I mentioned) tends to pull the pitch sharp from which you might have to settle it back down. On uprights, the force tends to pull the pitch flat so don't overshoot the target on uprights as much if at all. The closer you are to 12:00 the less pin flexing will affect the pitch.
    > Save pure aural tuning for home practice until you are competent but don't neglect some practice there. However, you'll get aural tuning practice even with an ETD because you will be tuning unisons by ear.
    > My typical first pass takes about 30-40 minutes and the second pass about 10-15 minutes. You should shoot for about twice that at first. No longer than 90-100 minutes for both passes. Longer than that is too exhausting and hard to maintain your concentration. Take a break if needed, just a few minutes of silence will clear your ears.
    >
    > It's better to engage in some intensive practice at home until you can get to that level than it is to go out and spend 4-5 hours doing what probably is a mediocre job. Nobody really wants you there that long unless you're doing work that actually takes that long and you want to instill some confidence that you know what you're doing if you want to be hired back.
    > Stick with it.
    >
    >
    >
    > Get Outlook for iOS <https: aka.ms/o0ukef="">
    >
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 8/1/2022 9:22:00 PM
    >
    > Gary,
    >
    > Being aural/analog only I do pretty much as Susan does, only I typically will go no more than 10 cents over on the first pass. Second pass is treated as a normal 30% overall. 3rd finds outliers and errors and refines everything.
    >
    > I also lube the counterbearing points with CBL before doing anything...always.
    >
    >
    > Peter Grey
    > Stratham NH
    > (603) 686-2395
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 07-30-2022 11:12
    > From: Gary Messling
    >
    > Joshua,
    > You're getting loads of great ideas here but as a beginner, I think you're going have to sort through all these suggestions and pick a few to focus on. I'm still not very fast and after 25 years, I'm still working on it.
    > Having said that, here's a few ideas: You're going to be making at least two passes so work on speeding up the first pass. Don't be too fussy with getting everything perfect. Try to keep moving, you'll have time to get it closer later. The two conflicting things I think about here are 1. Getting it closer (more perfect) on the first pass will save me time on subsequent passes...verses 2. Getting it close enough and moving faster will give me more time on final pass when it really matters because that in fact will be the end product. So with this in mind, as you progress, you'll figure out the balance between A. as perfect as you are able and B. close enough for the initial pass (passes?). Along these lines, advice I have received is, "On a pitch raise, "DON'T set the string and DON'T set the pin." I have to admit, I don't always do this (maybe that's why I'm still slow?)
    > I use an EDT which I think makes pitch raises much easier. I believe many "aural only" tuners have migrated to using EDTs at least for pitch raises these days. (maybe some of you would like to comment on this?) You probably know about overpull. An EDT can calculate an overpull target. If you wanted to tune aurally but use the help of an ETD, I suppose one way would be is to first determine the overall overpull with the ETD. You might measure several strings the the mid and treble sections and and see on average how flat you are and how much overpull you need. Once you determine that you can set A4 to the elevated pitch and tune aurally from there. You might find you need different overpull values for different sections.
    > Also, even if you use an ETD for the entire pitch raise, tune all unisons aurally. 2 reasons: It's faster and beginners need practice tuning unisons...its the most important interval! If you want to use an ETD for each string of a unison, save that for the final pass. In my opinion, even an ETD tuner should be able to tune a clean unison aurally, (and probably know how to set an equal temperament too).
    > Finally, one last thing that I have done a couple times lately is to use a stopwatch app on my phone; I hit the "lap" button every octave. If you do this, it may help to push you along.
    > Gary
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 7/29/2022 4:57:00 AM
    > From: David Pinnegar
    >
    > Hi Joshua
    > Further to my last contribution on using an ETD I suspect that your trouble is tuning all the centre strings and then the unisons. I tune all three strings at once with the ETD. I often find with the ETD that after tuning left and right string, the centre string has slipped so I retune it and check the unisons of left and right string by ear to make sure all is well. If you tune only the centre string then all your subsequent scale notes are subject to the error inherent in relying on just one string and then finding that your whole tuning is out. Tuning all three at once immediately shows up any error and enables you to proceed with confidence and swiftly. I tune A4 to C5 and then downwards to the bass.
    > There are no doubt as many variations on ways to do things but this way works for me and well.
    > Best wishes
    > David P
    >
    > --
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > +44 1342 850594
    >
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 7/28/2022 6:31:00 PM
    > From: Joshua Dellinger
    >
    > Thanks for thorough comment, Peter.
    >
    > To answer:
    >
    > 1.) The mid-high treble and unisons, most definitely
    >
    > 2.) I tune all center strings, and unisons are last.
    >
    > 3.) 3rds, 5ths and wide intervals I hear fairly well. 4ths are probably my least discernable.
    >
    > The rest is also informative. Thanks
    >
    > Joshua Dellinger
    > Catawba Valley Piano Services
    > Maiden, NC
    > (828) 705-1732
    > cvpianoservices@gmail.com <cvpianoservices@gmail.com>
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 07-28-2022 17:33
    >
    > Joshua,
    >
    > I'm going to ask you some questions, and also give you some advice:
    >
    > Q1) What aspect seems to eat up a large portion of time for you? Temperament, bass?? treble, unisons, pitch raising?...primarily which?
    >
    > Q2) Do you tune unisons as you go (strip mute the center...) or something else?
    >
    > Q3) What intervals do HEAR best? (e.g. I hear 3rds, 4ths, and 6ths best...not so great on 5ths) This is important because you want to create a temperament scheme that maximizes usage of intervals you hear easily. More on that later.
    >
    > A1) Practicing: It has been proven that you can flatten your learning curve significantly by practicing a "lesson" just before going to bed at night, then AGAIN immediately upon waking up in the morning before doing anything else.
    >
    > So, you need to practice with a purpose and practice smart. Let's say for example that you want to speed up your setting of the temperament (many spend way too much time on this). So, set aside a 10-15 minute practice period (no more) just before bed to set a temperament (aurally/analog). Don't spend more than 30 seconds on any one note. Even if not perfect, don't worry but move on to the next, and the next. 6 or 7 minutes max. Then analyze it for the remaining time without correcting anything. (Using aural/analog tests...perhaps your ETD as well if you want).
    >
    > Now in the morning just after getting up DO THE EXACT SAME THING again, refining it a little more. 15 min max. Then leave it. Drink coffee, etc.?? Repeat this pattern every night and morning for a week. You will notice marked improvement in your temperament setting speed and accuracy.
    >
    > A2) MEMORIZE the timing of seconds. You can do this anytime anywhere. You must be able to count seconds with very high accuracy (without any outside reference ultimately).
    >
    > A3) Once you get seconds you need to accurately tap 2, 3, 4, 6, 8 bps with your fingers or teeth. This must become highly accurate. They are easy if you have rhythm. 5 and 7 bps are harder, but they are in between the others so if you can do all the others you can deduce the hard ones from there.
    >
    > That's it for now. More later.
    >
    >
    > Peter Grey
    > Stratham NH
    > (603) 686-2395
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 07-28-2022 13:30
    > From: Tremaine Parsons
    >
    > Joshua,
    >
    > One thing that has not been mentioned yet is that: "You can't tune a piano unless it is in tune"
    >
    > In other words, if you have to move the overall pitch more than + or - about 3 cents you should plan on a rough pass and then a fine pass.
    >
    > Sometimes, raising pitch 1/4 or 1/2 step requires 3 passes. (or 2 1/2)
    >
    > Eventually you will get to doing a rough pass in 20 to 30 minutes. "You can't tune a piano unless it is in tune"
    >
    > Keep practicing, It will get better.
    >
    > Tremaine Parsons RPT
    > Georgetown CA
    > (530) 333-9299
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 07-28-2022 12:10
    > From: Paul Williams
    >
    > Hi all,
    >
    > When I started with Steve Brady, he gave me a sheet to fill out. 100 pianos! Dates and time taken to tune, how flat were they? Etc.
    > Fortunately, I was able to tune a ton of practice grands at the Univ. of Wa where he was at the time. Also my own 1946 Aldrich console with aluminum plate! (I figured that if I could tune that one, I could tune about anything!)
    >
    > Nice to watch the tuning time go down consistently through the 100. My first tuning after getting the basics was about 6 hours! I was absolutely wiped out after those first few. Times went down dramatically at first, then hit a 2-3 hour stagnation. Steve told me about plateus you hit while learning until an "aha" moment kicks in. Yes it did. Suddenly, my tuning times went down to about 1.5 hours. That's when I started my business.
    >
    > Of course, in a University setting, you get really good at tuning in an hour or even less as open times in certain rooms can get crunched.
    >
    > All you can do is just keep crunching and tuning and tuning.
    >
    > After 33 years now, I consider over 1.5 hours a difficult tuning (not counting pitch corrections)
    >
    > Keep on keeping on! You'll get it.
    >
    > Paul
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 7/28/2022 11:08:00 AM
    > From: Scott Cole
    >
    > Joshua,
    > Bill Ballard beat me to it: you have to treat tuning like learning a musical instrument: You can't just blow through fast passages without a lot of practice. There's no magic way to shortcut the process except deliberate, constant practice.
    >
    > Other responders have beaten me to my other thought: charging may be premature at this point. You've put yourself in a precarious position by "having" to make a living at it NOW.
    >
    > Not so fast. Back to the musician analogy: If you're not ready to perform, you can't force yourself onstage.
    > Music students (or even professionals) who prematurely attempt recitals, competitions, or auditions risk a negative feedback loop of poor self-confidence when things go poorly.
    >
    > As far as pricing, I think it's fair to say (legal to say?) you probably shouldn't be charging market rate, whatever that is. Let's say it's half, and you're taking 4-5 hours. At that point, you'd be just as well off taking some other job in the meantime, and preserving your reputation. Remember that tuning isn't steady work in the beginning--you can't count on tunings coming in every day. The general job market is hot right now. Take advantage of that until you get your times down.
    >
    > Customers often have long memories, and I hear them complain, "I remember Joe 10 years years ago--he took hours" or "That other tuner Bill seemed grumpy" or whatever. You should not risk your reputation by accepting paying work too early. Especially with social media apps like Nextdoor or FB. People like to gripe online before they call you when there's a problem. In fact, we've seen in on these forums: people complaining about a company or service first before actually calling the company to get the problem resolved.
    >
    > Some have advised against using an ETD. I'm not in that camp. From the beginning, I used Veritune, and for just the reasons above: I did NOT want to be in the customer's house 3, 4, or 5 hours. Especially as the light faded and they started dinner and tried to keep the house quiet hour after hour. It's not fair to the customer. Perfect aural tuning on your own time if you must tune for home customers. If you're in a church basement, fine, take your time.
    >
    > I'm still early in my career (8 years, 5 as an RPT), and I'm always interested in getting my own tuning times down. I take 25 minutes to pitch raise, another 25 to fine-tune, and about 20 to perfect the unisons. Fine pianos take me a little longer if they are very clean sounding. Some of reducing time has to do with eliminating the "not-tuning time": how are you using mutes? How much time is spent between turning the pins? Are you obsessing on the outer octaves? Anyone seen Isaac Sadigursky's 2-minute pitch raise?
    >
    > One last analogy (I think I used this in an article last year): If you're baking a cake, you can't speed it up by cranking the heat to 500 degrees. You just have to let it bake.
    >
    > Scott Cole, RPT
    > rvpianotuner.com
    > Talent, OR
    > (541-601-9033
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 07-28-2022 09:19
    > From: Bill Ballard
    >
    > It's like good musicianship: if you get a passage/excercize to come through at a slow tempo, I mean, allow your muscle memory to get thoroughly relaxed and comfortable with it, it will reliably ramp up to any tempo you want.
    >
    > I'm sorry to hear that you're immediately depending on the income. When I first set out from the N. Bennett St. school in FEB '72, the best I could muster was a 9A and a 1P. And that was with the advantage of a thorough understanding of the fabric formed by all of these partials. Two years later, I was up to a 9A, 11A, 1P and a 3P. Fortunately, my then-wife had a steady paycheck.
    >
    > Keep two things in mind: 1.) You can't tune a piano unless it's in tune already, and 2.) you can't tune a piano unless you've already tuned a thousand. You may be jeopardizing the long-term prospects of your career move.
    >
    > William Ballard RPT
    > WBPS
    > Saxtons River VT
    > 802-869-9107
    >
    > "Our lives contain a thousand springs
    > and dies if one be gone
    > Strange that a harp of a thousand strings
    > should keep in tune so long."
    > ...........Dr. Watts, "The Continental Harmony,1774
    > +++++++++++++++++++++
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 07-27-2022 19:48
    > From: Joshua Dellinger
    >
    > Hi, Folks. I'm a beginner who started business the middle of this month. Previous to this, I finished the tuning section on Rick Butler's course. I've begun tuning for my first client, which is probably the most suitable I could hope for: a county school system. I have my first in-home client this Friday, (whom I've duly warned of what I'm about to mention.)
    >
    >
    > I have a serious problem that's plaguing me: my tuning time is terrible. So far, unless the piano is already partly in tune, I've faced times upwards of 4.5-5 hours. This, of course, isn't great. In fact, it's no good, and it's exhausting.
    >
    > Granted, some practice tunings aside, I am only on my 10th paid tuning. That said, this just seems untenable. I'm wondering if I'm not just being a bit perfectionist in my tunings, as even after such a lengthy tuning, I'm still often disatisfied. I'd hate the idea of delivering a bad tuning, but I'm beginning to see I may risk poor service all the same by taking so long.
    >
    > On the advice of another tuner, I'm planing to start really limiting myself in time; having an overall time limit (maybe starting with 3hrs), as well as limits on certain parts, like tuning the treble, unisons, etc., doing my best within those constraints, then moving on.
    >
    > In any case, I wanted to ask y'all about your experience as a beginner, your perspective on what I've said, and how you'd advise me to help address it.
    >
    >
    >
    > I'm grateful for any input. Thank you very much
    >
    > Joshua Dellinger
    > Catawba Valley Piano Services
    > Maiden, NC
    > cvpianoservices@gmail.com <cvpianoservices@gmail.com>
    >
    > Reply to Sender : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=753914&SenderKey=c6bec9da-82ac-413c-b761-8ffbb84d2e9a
    >
    > Reply to Discussion : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=753914
    >
    >
    >
    > You are subscribed to "Pianotech" as horace@horacegreeleypiano.com. To change your subscriptions, go to http://my.ptg.org/preferences?section=Subscriptions. To unsubscribe from this community discussion, go to http://my.ptg.org/HigherLogic/eGroups/Unsubscribe.aspx?UserKey=18d8c323-aa1d-4526-8bf1-a6805870cbe6&sKey=KeyRemoved&GroupKey=2bb4ebe8-4dba-4640-ae67-111903beaddf.
    >

• 46.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-02-2022 23:05
    David, my ethical concern involves someone after a short time of practice and taking an online course (I don't know what that involves) hanging out their shingle. Joshua hasn't given an indication of if he knows what to do if the lost motion is so great that a note barely plays, or if he can replace a string that he might break. He has said that he is getting help locally so I hope that is being covered. 
    This forum is open to the public and I don't think we should just take things at face value and suggest that with a couple of tools and a little practice anyone can be out there charging $50-100/hr as a piano technician. If I'm wrong then perhaps that is what the Guild should advertise, I'm sure we'd be overwhelmed with people wanting to make that kind of money with such a small committment of time and money.
    Joshua's need to make a living isn't a qualification to tune pianos. As other's have said, it can be counterproductive to putting yourself out as a professional prematurely. I do wish Joshua the best and that includes not getting a bad rap on Yelp because he got in over his head.
    On the other hand, we really need a lot more young people entering the field, there is a middle way. The Guild bends over backwards providing educational material. 
    Other than that, I'm a little surprised that doing aural tuning for years wasn't much of an edifying experience, it was for me. I agree about the epiphanies, we are a trade organization, not a cult.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 47.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-03-2022 00:34
    Steven

Your comments could have been taken to read that what Joshua was doing was unethical. I don't think you're in any position to make that judgment or insinuate it in the context of this discussion. He stated very openly at the outset what his experience is. It's not up to you or the PTG to decide who can go tune a piano or when they are ready. It's up to the individual and the people he serves. 

I never said I didn't benefit from years of aural tuning.  What  I said was that I didn't think it was any real benefit to tune garbage pianos aurally which I did for many years. I also tuned a lot of very good pianos and there the feedback you get is instructive.  In fact it was having to tune a lot of garbage practice pianos in an institution that drove me to buy my first electronic tuning device because I realized quickly it wasn't worth the extra time or effort to labor over those crappy pianos. If you and Susan wish to spend your time doing that that's perfectly fine with me but I don't see any real benefit in it.  It might even be counterproductive to developing real aural skills.  I would encourage Joshua to continue to develop his aural skills as I stated more than once. So please let's get off our high horse and just respond to what's written, thank you.

David Love RPT
    www.davidlovepianos.com
    415 407 8320

• 48.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-03-2022 01:12

I certainly didn't mean to blame him for any desire to be unethical on his part, just that sometimes there's more than one way to move ahead.

I didn't stop to think about whether I had any options other than working on whatever horrid junk came my way. Just tucked in, usually overdoing and undercharging (and talking too much.) Well, no harm done except to my income. I did sometimes use whatever junk or odd objects were at hand to improvise repairs, which was fun. These horrible pianos do give one some freedoms, since it's hard to make them any worse.

I seem to have irritated you a lot. Sorry. Perhaps I should have added (several times) "Your mileage may vary."

• 49.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-03-2022 01:39
    I appreciate the support, David, but I also think they have a fair point. I don't want to invite a bad reputation. That said, I do intend to take a home owner so long as it's they who approach me first and they understand my warnings that I'm a beginner.

To Steven's question, I've both replaced strings and spliced them, both with good quality. (That said, I way prefer new strings.) I know a few things on lost motion, but I need to learn more. In any case, repair is actually my favorite vs tuning.

In the end, as for the whole ETD thing, I'm pretty deep into aural tuning (I did about 9 months on it in Rick's course), but I am using the tuner I use to set A4 for pitch raises. After that, I go back to aural. Personally, I'd rather work through that than switch horses midstream.

Thank you for the inputs.

Joshua Dellinger
    Maiden, NC
    (828) 705-1732

• 50.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-03-2022 02:09
    Joshua, I'm glad to hear that you have that kind of time and experience under your belt. From your original post I mistakenly thought you'd practice on a few pianos, and now have done 10 or so in the field. Sorry for that. 
    Best of luck.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 51.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-03-2022 02:54

Sounds very good, Joshua. You reassure me that you are on a good track.??

There are so many little repairs needed if one goes into home service. Broken hammer shank. Missing hammers, from broken cedar shanks in the high treble. Missing ivory (oh, it's under the keys ....) Broken key. Broken string, you're all set. How to tilt the piano if you need to replace a caster. And so on. Butt plates breaking. Tongues of continuous flanges breaking. And bridle tapes. And broken plastic elbows, but not as many as there used to be. Repinning, rebushing. Replacing broken parts.

Not often, not even enough to stay in practice sometimes. Might be months before you met a repair needed. But with a mentor, you can get help if need be with any of it.

• 52.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-02-2022 21:57
    Yeah... But I walked to school 10 miles, uphill, Both Ways!

But seriously folks, I'm glad I asked about aural pitch raises; quite honestly because I never have done one without an ETD. Thanks for all your input. I do appreciate it even though this is primarily for the benefit of the OP.

The discussion was(is?) interesting but sorry, I never intended to restart the Aural/ETD debate. Funny, I never thought of aural tuning as spiritual even though I have attended tuning technicals by Virgil Smith and others who may have had a lesser opinion of ETD's. But a funny thing I'll never forget was what I was told when I got into doing this professionally: One older tuner, giving me some personal advice, once said something like "Yeah, there are some aural tuners who don't believe in anything that plugs into the wall".

Well that was quite a while ago.

P.S. Peter Grey mentioned CLB on string bering points. I think (hope) he means Protek CLP. I Keep it in a 1 Oz oiler (Schaff #190) and apply a few drops to little artist paint brush. I keep the Oiler and (cut down handled) brush in an old amber plastic pill jar/bottle so it doesn't get damaged in my case...don't ask me how...  

Gary

• 53.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-03-2022 00:06

Glad that the description of aural pitch raises of really poor pianos was of use.

It seems to me that the maximum loss from not using an ETD for it is an extra pass, which can be done very quickly. And the cost of doing it all in one pass is that the overpull is sometimes greater than it needs to be, which can stress wire.

My description of the joys of aural whatever seems to have gotten everyone's back up. Sorry --?? My way suits me just fine, and my customers seem to approve, sometimes with great fervor, so I'll just go on as I have been till I drop dead or something interferes.?? I think it's healthy that we don't all approach things exactly the same way. Being a musician first and only later a piano tuner may have affected my path somewhat, though certainly a lot of the rest of us also were musicians first. My possibly exaggerated love of some aspects of aural tuning was decidedly reinforced when I was in the hospital with Guillain Barr?? Syndrome in 2010. As they were doing the testing, it was by no means certain that I would ever tune again, or even be able to go home again, living without assistance. During one test I realized that I was processing the awfully strange sounds, like a contrabassoon from hell, through piano tuning ears. I thought of sitting in front of a Steinway D and playing one note, listening to the way it sounded and developed and slowly diminished, and it seemed to me like a lost paradise.

The attraction of that never quite went away.

• 54.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-03-2022 00:38

And I still have no idea why clicking on Reply to Group and typing in an email leads to some weird software glitch adding double question marks, seemingly at random.

• 55.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-28-2022 18:25
    Thanks, Scott. That's all good to know. Though I hadn't meant to ask about pricing, I have planned to charge closer to 1/2 as you said, as I do for the school.

That said, if I don't see a marked improvment in, say, my unisons, in a month, I'll probably delay any advertising to in-home customers.

Joshua Dellinger
    Maiden, NC
    (828) 705-1732

• 56.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-29-2022 17:47
    I agree with Bill and Scott. You need to tune many pianos before it all comes together in your mind. That's the only way to learn this business. Pianos have to be close before fine tuning is possible. For most beginners, you're working on neglected pianos and doing pitch raises. The pitch changing as you tune prevents you from learning because everything you've done changes as you go, so you're never sure if you're doing it correctly. 

I'd recommend an ETD, but only if you have a mentor who can guide you on the basics of lever technique. In the end, it's not that hard, but that is only true if someone explains to you what actually happens with the pin, and then shows you what to do. After many years, I think I've finally gotten it. Lol. The ETD has helped tremendously in recent years in my own understanding of pin technique. My tunings have gotten more precise and also more stable. This is because the ETD provides visual confirmation of stability. You can instantly verify if the pin and string are stable.

I've observed enough tunings and/or classes at to know that not everyone really knows what they're talking about, although everyone **feels** confident of their technique. I'd find someone who has been doing this a long time, who is not braggadocios or pompous about their abilities, and then learn from him (or her).

It's gonna take some time, so be ready for that. That 1000-tuning mark that Bill mentioned is pretty much true. But, with a good teacher, and also with good observations, you can learn faster. You just have to understand what's going on in the pin and string. And that takes a long time to get through to us.

John Formsma
    New Albany MS

"Sneak up on optimal."
    --Ron Nossaman

• 57.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-28-2022 16:37
    Hey, folks. Thanks again for all your input and advice!

I tried a stricter approach on time today and late yesterday and can thankfully say I reduced my average to about 2.4-3 hrs, and with a pretty similar quality of tuning. Unisons, of course, are the big issue. I'll need to start some thorough practice on that, and also some on the high treble. Those are my most lacking and time consuming areas. I'll continue to fulfill my contract with the school system and see where I am from there.

Thanks again for your input!

Joshua Dellinger
    Maiden, NC

• 58.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-28-2022 20:21
    I much respect aural tuners and the important thing is that you know how to do it. However, for commercial necessity I'd recommend you buy a good ETD and use it. It's important to know what the machine is listening for: one's not using a machine blind but instead to pick up on what you're wanting to be listened to faster.

Based in UK I'm not familiar with the USA machines but in my experience digital apps on phones or tablets aren't ideal: digital devices lag, even slightly, and a better tuning can be done with an analogue device in real-time.

Personally I use a Vogel CTS5 http://www.tuning-set.de/html/english.html which is an analogue device. It has some nice features - whereas a digital unit will show square units running one way or another, being analogue one can see partials running through the fundamental note if there is inharmonicity. One can set it to a lower octave and play a note an octave above in which case there will be double the frequency of dots running across the display. This was the unit my mentor used and I've bought a couple to loan to pupils.

Used intelligently the display gives one a better visual insight into what one's listening for. Very importantly its accuracy is such that it will tune unisons, properly, fast, and just as accurately or more-so than by ear. Very importantly it will identify if a string of a trichord has slipped perhaps on account of careless setting of a pin.

I'm often changing the style of tuning of instruments that I come across so this will give me an excuse for taking more time. I often recheck and redo the temperament octave before going up into the treble.

Using such a device, I usually tune partly by machine and partly by ear, or at least checking by ear and what one does is much a matter of experience - but if I don't have the luxury of time I can rely wholly on the machine to bang through all 220 or so strings without listening in 65 minutes and sometimes time allotted for access for tuning a concert instrument often barely that. But using the machine I can rely on such a concert instrument to be appropriately tuned.

Here's such an instrument https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wdMbiOlw9s where time allotted at the institution concerned was the absolute minimum and might even only have been an hour. In these circumstances you've got to have absolute confidence in your pin setting technique. I'll leave you to tell me whether that instrument there recorded was adequately tuned.

A lot of speed is a matter of discipline. Great - that's one string, on with the next. Develop your order, middle string first perhaps and then left and right - it doesn't matter but habitualise your order, stick to it, and on with the next. Relentless.

Best wishes

David P

--
    +44 1342 850594

• 59.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-29-2022 09:44
    Hi Joshua,
    Congratulations on embarking on a career as a piano technician. I haven't read every post in this thread, so I apologize if this has already been mentioned. But I think the most important thing you can do is find a mentor. Not just to answer this question, but to answer the next thousand questions that will come up as you continue. Local would be best, but I know the PTG has a mentorship program, although I'm not familiar with the details.
    In my opinion, that should be your highest priority.
    Good luck.

David

David Weiss Piano Service
    davidweisspiano@gmail.com
    434-823-9733
    www.davidweisspiano.com

David Weiss RPT
    Charlottesville VA
    (434) 823-9733
    davidweisspiano@gmail.com

• 60.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-29-2022 10:21
    Thanks, Mr. Weiss.

I do indded have one, thankfully. John Parham, the chapter president, has been helping guide me through this. In fact, posting this thread was one of his suggestions.

Joshua Dellinger
    Maiden, NC
    (828) 705-1732

• 61.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-29-2022 13:58
    Just added a second update on the original post

Joshua Dellinger
    Maiden, NC
    (828) 705-1732

• 62.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-30-2022 08:10
    Understanding that "too many cooks spoil the broth" take everything recommended with a grain of salt... ;-) You have a mentor and they should be able to guide you based on personal data that we just don't have!

Since you are in the position of selling your tunings instead of in a training situation where you can simply practice, I would recommend ditching aural temperament tuning at this time. Are you a singer or have experience playing a wind or string instrument? The skills developed to sing or play in tune are a big help when it comes to unison and octave tuning - I call it "the musician's ear" - what is most often used to judge your tunings by clients. 

I'd also recommend getting one of the apps that measures most of the inharmonicity data from the specific piano in front of you to calculate a tuning. After seeing a few of the graphs from that data, you will understand the shortcomings from any tuning device that depends on templates or just measuring a few notes create a tuning. Verituner, PianoMeter and PiaTune are the three that come to mind, though PiaTune is beta testing for a new version. Prices an which phones can be used are variable between the developers.

By focusing just on unisons, you should be able to improve your tuning time. You should also realize that many of notes on the pianos that you are likely to see cannot be tuned to a pure unison - especially working up into the treble where you are having trouble! Using a "sweep technique" of moving the string to be tuned very slightly sharp and flat through the "in tune" zone should let your hands and ears find the best or "least bad" spot to leave the string. 

"choose and move" Adapt a mult-pass, efficient tuning approach, getting more refined as the piano allows.

Good luck!

Ron Koval

Ron Koval
    CHICAGO IL

• 63.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 07-30-2022 08:42
    Thanks everyone for your input. I just edited the original post with a third update, explaining my personal context, what I meant by "relying on this for income" (probabky misspoke), and my revised plan on taking paying home owners.

Joshua Dellinger
    Maiden, NC
    (828) 705-1732

• 64.  RE: Advice on reducing a beginner's tuning time

Posted 08-02-2022 18:50
    It's already been mentioned repeatedly, but I have personally gained the most speed by doing really fast pitch raises, aiming for a single movement in the sharp direction to get the note to the target pitch (maybe after dropping it first if I think the piano needs it), and moving on.  When I do this procedure it seems to turbocharge the rest of my tunings for a while.

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com