CAUT

Expand all | Collapse all

Regulation mystery

• 1.  Regulation mystery

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 08-12-2022 10:03

Hey everyone,
    I went to tune a "rebuilt" ( in the 70s, at least restrung) 1924 Marshall & Wendell grand yesterday and found half the hammers to be blocking.

I tried to get it working but to no avail. Here's what I found: drop screws all very high, letoff screws all bottomed out. Keys maybe slightly low (just under 2.5 inches), dip at 3/8. I raised some sample hammers, but still no dice. Checked and reset the glides, lowered all drop screws. My only thought at this point is thicker letoff buttons. The letoff rail is firmly screwed to the brackets with machine screws, so I don't think rail position has changed.

The owner has no money, yet wants it functioning to sell TODAY! (Sometimes you step in the bear trap, and sometimes the bear trap sneaks up on you…). Another technician found the same issues back in 2006 but of course the owner didn't want to pay for work.

So here's my question: I think that at some point in the past, someone worked on the piano and did something to it, didn't know what messed things up, and gave up. Based on the evidence-especially bottomed out letoff-what are some possibilities for the elemental mistake? Mis-bored  hammers? Random wippens thrown in? The jacks, once adjusted, are about in line with knuckle cores. Springs not great, but ok.

thanks!

------------------------------
    Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

• 2.  RE: Regulation mystery

Posted 08-12-2022 10:18
    There are many possibilities for what could have mucked things up on this piano, Scott. Always good to start with the simplest, least intrusive. If the drop screws are all the way up, the jacks may will be tripping out of under the knuckles and yet the hammers are blocking because drop is way too high. It would only take a moment to check it on one of the worst offenders. This may be as simple as someone had their head where the sun does not shine while turning screws on this poor piano.

Best, 

Alan

Alan Eder, RPT
    Herb Alpert School of Music
    California Institute of the Arts
    Valencia, CA

• 3.  RE: Regulation mystery

Posted 08-12-2022 10:23
    Alan, yes, one of the first things I did was lower the drop screws.

• 4.  RE: Regulation mystery

Posted 08-12-2022 10:27
    I agree with Alan. It is a common mistake for poor regulators to make and it’s a confusion that we noted in the GAR class, so I know you’ve seen the demonstration on the action model.

If drop is too high (a clue is that the drop screws are up) then the motion of letoff is disguised and the person, seeing blocking, just keeps turning the letoff adjustment down and down and down…

If you look at the action itself, you can see whether the jack has actually tripped out. If the hammer doesn’t drop for letoff, then it’s just disguised, it’s drop causing the blocking.

Take a couple of samples and turn the drop screw down a lot. And maybe letoff up. My guess is that at some point they will meet, and you’ll see the hammer drop. After that you can put both in their correct places. Once you get a couple of samples, the work can be very fast. You’ll see a general position of the drop screws, turn them all down to that point, and start in on letoff. Then if it works, you an choose whether to refine it.

Kathy

• 5.  RE: Regulation mystery

Posted 08-12-2022 10:44
    I just saw Alan’s answer, Scott - great minds I think?

Just lowering the drop screws some may not get all the way to the point you can see the hammer drop, if letoff is that low. You have to get to the point that the point of letoff is “above” the landing spot for drop. The samples will tell you where they need to be, and it sounds extremely off.

Kathy

• 6.  RE: Regulation mystery

Posted 08-12-2022 14:21
    In our shop, we say that the three regulation conditions on a grand that have to obtain before starting to regulate are:

1) shanks off rest cushions/rail

2) "manifest" repetition spring tension (meaning the after the hammer goes into check, it rises upon release of the key), and;

3) "escapement" (which we define as "let-off below string height, and DROP BELOW LET-OFF")

FWIW, y'all!

Alan

Alan Eder, RPT
    Valencia, CA

• 7.  RE: Regulation mystery

Posted 08-12-2022 14:26
    One of PYG's most lauded members used to deliberately put drop above let-off on the action models used for the technical test. Those who do regulation "by the numbers" were often flummoxed by the fact that they could not get the hammer to let-off, no matter how far down they turned the let-off button. On the other hand, those who have internalized the "interactive nature of piano regulation" (to borrow a phrase I first heard utter by no lees than Roger Gable) can quickly recognize and remedy this condition.

Alan

Alan Eder, RPT
    Valencia, CA

• 8.  RE: Regulation mystery

Posted 08-12-2022 14:27
    P. S. Don't ask me what the heck the "PYG" is...

ae

Alan Eder, RPT
    Valencia, CA

• 9.  RE: Regulation mystery

Posted 08-12-2022 14:51
    ...or what Roger Gable is doing with an "utter"...

Alan Eder, RPT
    Valencia, CA

• 10.  RE: Regulation mystery

Posted 08-12-2022 15:52
    I'm sure you must have meant "ottered", given where you all live.

David Skolnik [RPT]
    Hastings-on-Hudson NY
    (917) 589-2625

• 11.  RE: Regulation mystery

Posted 08-13-2022 11:08
    Thanks for answers all. The first two things I did when the hammers were blocking were to 1. put all the drop screws down all the way and 2. put letoff down if the screws could go any further (they were bottomed out). I also raised some sample hammers up.

I'll be returning soon to the piano, and I plan to check the hammer boring in the bass, where most of the problem is.

Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

• 12.  RE: Regulation mystery

Posted 08-13-2022 11:29
    Scott, 
    You say it was rebuilt. Did that include new wippens? If the jack has a different design (tails at a different angle), that can easily lead to no possibility of let off. This is common in replacing old Steinway wipps with new ones, and the cure is thicker let off buttons. Pianotek seems them. (An alternate cure would be thicker let off button felt).

I guess a big change in hammer bore might be another source of the problem (longer bore distance), and maybe that is more likely. Lots of folks would buy prebored hammers off the shelf that time as opposed to the custom boring that is the norm today. Could be anyone's guess what that distance would be. Again, the simplest/cheapest solution would be thicker letoff buttons.

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    http://fredsturm.net
    www.artoftuning.com
    "Criticism is easy. Art is difficult." Philippe Destouches

• 13.  RE: Regulation mystery

Posted 08-13-2022 13:24
    Hi Scott, not a fun problem to have.  Everyone has great suggestions.  Definitely check if thicker let-off pads would work, and check hammer bore distance.  Want to throw in a suggestion to check and compare string height, hammer bore, and stack height (hammer bore plus stack height should equal string height).  Since you said it seems someone in the past altered something to make the action the way it is currently, this might give you some clues as to what you need to do to make it regulatable (plate lowered or raised if/when it was re-strung, hammer bore completely off, etc).  Good luck!

Mary Lapprand RPT
    Head Piano Technician, Michigan State University
    East Lansing MI
    (317) 979-0334

• 14.  RE: Regulation mystery

Posted 08-13-2022 13:56
    Fred,
    When you say people used to hang prebored, off-the-shelf hammers, does that mean they didn't actually measure the piano? Just stuck on generically bored hammers and shanks?

I eyeballed the wippens--hard to say if they are original, especially since the "rebuild" was done in the 70s. Wouldn't it be nice if rebuilders left a note inside the piano, perhaps taped to the action cavity wall, with details on the rebuild? Especially if they rescaled the piano, or changed something. They don't even need to sign their name, just what they did. When pianos change hands, this info gets lost.

Customers often lose or throw out receipts. On this piano, I asked the customer for the receipt of last service, and she just threw up her hands and said "It's with my taxes!" I wasn't sure exactly why she had a piano receipt with her taxes, and I didn't ask.

For my last Steinway parts rebuild, yes, Renner sent me wippens with jacks at a different angle, like 10-20 degrees difference or something. I was able to regulate them without thicker letoff buttons....barely.

Mary,
    Yes, my first thought is thicker letoff buttons. Don Dalton had a good idea to try with double-stick tape.
    Now the question is whether I can get enough drop?

By the way, your prose is exemplary. Would you like to work at the Journal? Please submit your response in the form of a sonnet,
    and we will consider your application!

Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

• 15.  RE: Regulation mystery

Posted 08-13-2022 14:21
    Scott,
    Yes, piano suppliers like Schaff and APSCO (no longer with us) used to sell "stock" hammers. They told you how many bass were in the set, and you could choose weight (12#, 14#, 16#). It was significantly cheaper than paying for custom boring, and worked OK for the average piano. I put on a few upright sets like that. I don't recall bore distance being mentioned anywhere.

That was certainly the case in the 80s when I got started, and probably for decades before that. I suspect that supply houses would buy up extra sets that had been made and bored for manufacturers (back in the day when manufacturer used to have a plural form in the US). 

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    http://fredsturm.net
    www.artoftuning.com
    "Criticism is easy. Art is difficult." Philippe Destouches