CAUT

• 1.  Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 05-18-2023 21:21

Hi all,

I recently worked on a 1915 Kranich & Bach grand. Awful piano with lots of problems, but nice clients. As I was putting everything back together for the final time, the right fallboard screw broke off at the head. See the attached pictures. Thankfully everything was completed so I don't have to worry about this for a bit (hopefully), but may have to deal with it in the future. My question is, how would I go about removing the fallboard next time? Any ideas?

------------------------------
    Benjamin Sanchez, RPT
    Piano Technician / Artisan
    (256) 947-9999
    www.professional-piano-services.com

• 2.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-18-2023 21:57
    Benjamin,
    I’ve had this problem with two 1970 era Chickerings. I tried drilling out the screw stub to insert a EasyOut reverse screw. No luck; it is such a small area. It was impossible not to damage the bracket. When I finally got the fallboard out, it was clear that the bracket needed replacing. I appealed to this list for anyone who possibly had spare parts but no luck there either Even Isaac didn’t have a replacement!!
    I wish I could offer a better outcome….. I’ll be watching to see if anyone has avoid solution. Good luck.

Regards,
    ~ jeannie

Jeannie Grassi
    PTG Registered Piano Technician
    Bainbridge Island, WA
    206-842-3721
    grassipianos@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-19-2023 07:28
    It looks like there is a bit of a stub still sticking out. You might cut a screwdriver slot with a multi- tool and fine metal cutting blade, or with a cutting wheel in a dremel tool. Once you can get a small screwdriver blade into slot, tap on screwdriver with a hammer to get it to move counterclockwise. A little oil will help it move. One full turn should expose enough of the stub that you can get it out with needle nosed vise grip pliers. Like removing a agraffe when there is a stub above the plate, just smaller screw.
    If that doesn't work, remove screw on other side, lift Fallboard from that end and muscle it out of piano. The screw is so small, it can't really hold the Fallboard in place when using the whole Fallboard as a lever. You'll undoubtedly scratch up the inside of the case although a thin piece of sheet metal  (like roofing flashing)could be used to protect the inside arm of the case. Once it is out, remove bracket from Fallboard, grind screw flat, and either drill it out or cut the other end off inside the bracket, so it just slips into place on that end and other end holds it. Or better yet, if you can modify both ends so it is like a Yamaha Fallboard, then there won't be a future problem on other side.
    A fair amount of work for a piano long past whatever its best days were, so first tell the client they  should consider this a sign the piano is due (overdue) for replacement.  There could be other instances of metal fatigue just waiting  to be found in the other 6k screws in the piano.

David Graham
    Graham Piano Service, Inc.
    512 S. Main St.
    Sycamore IL 60178
    815-353-5450

• 4.  RE: Removing a Broken Fallboard Screw

Posted 05-20-2023 07:42

Benjamin,

It's been several years, but this is how I once resolved the same problem. When there's no way to slot the remainder of the broken screw and turn it out, then here's a back up plan.

If there's enough space for a thin hacksaw blade between the inner case and the side of the fallboard, you can cut the pin in the case. Cut if close to side the bracket so there is enough pin left to grab with vice grips to pull it out of the case. Do your best to protect the case and the fallboard. Once the fallboard is out, take off the bracket and work the bracket screw out by grabbing it from the side with needle nose pliers and turn it out. The cut pin probably has enough length left in the case that the you can pull it to hold the fallboard without having to replace it, but be prepared to replace it.  CAUTION. Do not cut the pin in the case flush to the case. Then you'll have another problem.

Joyce Meekins, RPT