Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

• 1.  repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 02-29-2024 16:16

Hello,

I am trying to repair an oversized tuning pin hole in a Steinway grand.  I have tried gluing wood veneer shims to the sides of the hole, to no avail.  At present I have a 5/0 tuning pin in there that is not holding pitch.  I think my best option would be to drill a larger hole in the pinblock and insert a maple plug.  However, the tuning pin holes in Steinway plates are very small, especially in the bass.  I feel it would be best to enlarge the hole by drilling from underneath the pinblock with a right angle drill.  Has anybody ever done this?  This is an old S&S model C that was completely rebuilt maybe 20 years ago.  I think there may have been some issues with the drilling of the new pinblock.  Anyway, the owner of the piano gave me a piece of left over wood from the pinblock installation that I can use to make a plug.

Please let me know if you have any ideas that would help.  Thank you.

Bill Ryder

------------------------------
    William Ryder RPT
    Arcata CA
    (707) 822-3319

• 2.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 02-29-2024 16:32
    Bill

Instead of plugging the hole, have you thought about using CA glue?  It has been found to be an excellent alternative to lose tuning pins. You don't even need to remove the pin, but I would recommend you put some newspaper between the pinblock and the action in case the CA glue drips though the block. 

Wim 

• 3.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 02-29-2024 22:56

A couple  tips regarding wood plugs. Maple, maple pinblock and most hardwoods won't work. I found two pinblock materials that work great. Both are super heavy and with many layers.. I believe one is delignit and the other is a highly resin impregnated material( i cant remember the name but, i think Balwin used it). Don't make the plug round. Use Epoxy or Titebond 50 for gluing. Some fill the hole with epoxy and drill a new hole, but i never liked the feel.

-chris

Chernobieff Piano Restorations

Inventor of Inertia Touch Wave (ITW)
    Advanced Resonant Compression Engineered Soundboards (ARCHES)

865-986-7720 (text only please)

• 4.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-01-2024 07:26

That other material would be Falconwood.  It used to be available from Great Lakes Piano Supply, but apparently Tim Dixon has retired, and the website for the business no longer exists.  Is anyone here aware of how to source Falconwood plugs in 2024?

I was coached to drill the hole for the plug for an interference fit, and then to sand the plug slightly in the direction of an octagon

Floyd Gadd RPT
    Regina SK
    (306) 502-9103

• 5.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-01-2024 07:52

Tim Dixon:  414-587-9629

Parker Leigh RPT
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 6.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-01-2024 09:49

Bill, even with possible damage from your attempt at shims, I presume that other normal approaches will still work fine. One is, of course, to use 6/0 tuning pins. I also have some 7/0 but I don't think I have ever used them. Another is to first put in a cylinder of fairly fine-grit sandpaper, grit facing out. I only used the sandpaper approach a couple times, but the follow-up is still going fine – maybe others will comment on it. As I recall I used 1 ½ or 2 layers of paper, and then a smaller-size tuning pin. And lastly, never drive in new tuning pins (even if you brace the block) – slowly screw in only. Regards, Norman.

Norman Brickman
    Potomac Piano Service
    Potomac, Maryland
    potomacpiano@verizon.net
    https://potomacpiano.com
    (301) 983.9321

• 7.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-01-2024 11:48

Allied Piano has (roughly) 11 ply maple plugs available. I bought a few, haven't used them yet. It's definitely the right solution to the problem. CA glue is often a "fast solution" but using multi-ply plugs was recommended by Kent Webb (S&S tech rep in the recent past) and other experts in our field.

Patrick Draine RPT
    Billerica MA
    (978) 663-9690

• 8.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-03-2024 13:45

I don't think I'd have the guts to try drilling a hole of that size up from the bottom of the block. I would be afraid that I'd do more damage. 

I would opt for the "fill-n-drill" method where one fills the hole right up to the top with very strong epoxy (if you want to drill it out a wee bit more prior to filling for more wall thickness, that's your prerogative). After cure time, bore the TP hole through the epoxy and install your pin (original pin). Typically one would not bore the same size hole as was originally done in wood since the compression factor of the epoxy is significantly different than the original maple. One might want to treat it AS IF it was Falconwood. (Not a bad idea to test the protocol in a piece of old scrap stock first). 

I've done it...it works. You'd never spot the pin later as the feel is identical. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 9.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-04-2024 21:38

There is a less risky way of drilling up through the block that I learned from a respected fellow technician.  Take a spade bit, thread the shank up through the tuning pin hole, then secure it in an electric drill.  The upper surface of the spade bit will actually cut.  You will probably want to try this first on something other than your pinblock.  A chunk of 2x4 in your vise with a 1/4" hole in it is a good place to start.

You may want to start with a spade bit smaller than your final size.  You will also want to reshape what is now the new cutting surface of  the spade bit such that it will cut more effectively, and such that it will create the desired flat-bottom (flat top?) hole.

Floyd Gadd RPT
    Regina SK
    (306) 502-9103

• 10.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-06-2024 12:14

Thank you all for replying to my post with great ideas.  I've got some delignit plugs arriving from Allied Piano and I'm going to do some testing on an old pin block first.  I'm going to try the method of filling the hole with epoxy and drilling a new hole through that. What brand or type of epoxy do you use Peter?  I'm also going to experiment with the plugs. How do you drill for an interface fit Floyd? And thanks for the idea of using the spade bit. 
    Bill

William Ryder RPT
    Arcata CA
    (707) 822-3319

• 11.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-06-2024 12:23

Bill,

I tend to use System Three Epoxy for this, though I suspect West System would work just as well (perhaps with the slow set hardener).

T-88 is a very strong epoxy from System Three

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 12.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-06-2024 13:26

The Falconwood plug I am holding in my hand measures 5.009 inches in diameter.  I just grabbed a cordless drill, chucked up a 1/2" twist drill and bored into a 2x4.  That's a bit of a sloppy way to drill.  The plug was a tight fit in hole, but it could have been hammered in.  A bit of file work on a spade bit will allow you to tweak your hole diameter if necessary.  Sanding some flat faces, maybe 6 or so, around the circumference of the plug will allow you to localize the interference, and will also make a bit of room for the adhesive in the joint.

Floyd Gadd RPT
    Regina SK
    (306) 502-9103

• 13.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-06-2024 14:26

I think you mean .504  just over 1/2 inch.  On advice of Tim Dixon I drilled using 17/32 for 1/2 plug.  Then bore bottom flat with Forstner bit.

Epoxy is best.  Do not drill 1/2 hole for plug.  You will glue starve the joint.  I also like to preheat my plugs to ensure maximum dryness. An

old plate warmer works well.

Parker Leigh RPT
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 14.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-06-2024 18:13

I meant .509 Inches.  9 thousandths oversize.  I don't think you'll find 17/32 in a spade bit.  The flat faces sanded on the plug should mitigate against glue starving.

Floyd Gadd RPT
    Regina SK
    (306) 502-9103

• 15.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-07-2024 08:07

A spade bit is a poor choice for drilling an existing hole:  use a twist bit or a forstner bit

Parker Leigh RPT
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 16.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-07-2024 11:32

Hi All,

Just want to add 2 cents. Although all the suggestions are good, I'm wondering about the original attempt to "glue" in shims. When I have used shims in the past, I've never bothered to use glue. If you're trying to glue the veneer in place first, it won't work. If the fit with the shim is properly tight, the pin will draw the shim (or 2) in. You put the shim(s) in 1/2-ish of the way, then hammer the pin in. When the shim is at the right level, you screw the pin in the rest of the way. I know people don't like screwing the pin in, but I've done this several times with great success. Recently, I used one of those old metal shims, also with great success. Before doing anything more drastic, I'd consider trying to shim in this way. Otherwise, the glue methods are also a reasonable suggestion. I have had less reliable success with glue, so avoid it these days, but still have had success with it. 

Good Luck!

Maggie

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 17.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-07-2024 11:59

Back in the day, I used finer grit sandpaper as a shim for this (paper side towards the tuning pin, as someone has already mentioned in this thread). Never found it necessary to use glue. Always pounded the pin in to the desired height (removing the action and supporting the pin block in grands).

But for many years now, thin CA glue applied at the base of the tuning pin has solved the vast majority of loose pin issues that have come my way. It's much quicker (and therefore less expensive for the client), and in the 1% of cases in which CA doesn't do the trick, a shim can always be done. Because of the high success rate of CA, it is always worth attempting first in my experience. (Blessings upon whoever realized the utility of CA in our work!) YMMV

Alan

Alan Eder, RPT
    Herb Alpert School of Music
    California Institute of the Arts
    Valencia, CA

• 18.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-07-2024 12:02

Hi, Alan! Would you mind clarifying what you mean by "base" of the pin? Do you mean the base of the exposed pin just below the coil, or do you mean the actual base of the pin down under? Thanks!

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 19.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-07-2024 12:15

Thanks for requesting clarification of my somewhat ambiguous explanation, Maggie!

Personally, I apply the CA to the base of the pin just under the coli (i. e., above the pin block).

However, I have heard of other techs inverting the piano (if a grand) and applying the CA from (what would normally be) the bottom of the pin block.

Alan

Alan Eder, RPT
    Herb Alpert School of Music
    California Institute of the Arts
    Valencia, CA

• 20.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-07-2024 12:52

Wow! I've experimented with removing the pin, using a q-tip to put a layer of CA in the hole, then replacing the pin after it dries. It has been working for me WAY better than just dropping it in as you describe, but I've done that plenty. I've not had the same luck as others with it, so I avoid it these days, but many others swear by it. I think it's because I'm working with pins that are far more loose than most deal with. Not sure. Sorry for the side track of topic but thanks for the clarification! 

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 21.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-07-2024 14:05

Maggie, two questions.

Do you pound or screw the pin back in?

Doesn't the CA kick off as soon as you apply it to a q-tip?

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 22.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-12-2024 10:04

Hi Steven,

I didn't see your post until now. With CA glue, I have both pounded and screwed the pin back in. It doesn't seem to make a difference with the possible exception that pounding it in can make it jumpy where screwing it in seems to help it tune smoothly. With a shim, I pound it in until the shim is where I want it, then screw it the rest of the way. 

The CA doesn't kick off as soon as it hits the q-tip. Perhaps it's not cotton. It doesn't even dry fast with accelerant. 

Here is a video I made the first time I tried it. The pin block on this piano was supposedly going to be replaced in a couple years and they wanted me to get a few pins to hold intil then. I thought it was the perfect opportunity to experiment. It has since lasted several years. The rebuilding was put off. Forward to 1:30 in, I think.

https://youtu.be/we8rTWRCvTY?si=gBtISLvnbatfX6wS 

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 23.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-07-2024 14:44

Parker, please see my post above about drilling with the top edge of the spade bit. 

Floyd Gadd RPT
    Regina SK
    (306) 502-9103

• 24.  RE: repairing oversized tuning pin hole with plug

Posted 03-11-2024 10:16

Greetings, 

What has worked for me;  I drill a 3/8" hole though the plate webbing, using a sacrificial block underneath to prevent tear-out.  I then use a pair of 3/8" Falconwood plugs hammered in from the top.  To glue them, I make sure there is a flat side on both for glue to escape, and then swab the hole with Tite-Bond as well as putting a thin coat on the plugs. It is important to drive the plugs in quickly, as they will tack-grab if left in place longer than a couple of seconds.   The bottom block should be moved to cover half the hole so the first plug in go flush with the bottom while allowing excess glue to escape, and then the upper plug is hammered in on top of it.  It helps to have two plugs that just slightly exceed the pin block's depth, so the top plug is left a bit in the webbing allowing me to touch it down with the 3/8" bit. This will leave a centering dimple in the top.

Before drilling out the existing hole, I will have a drill bit the size of the existing hole chucked up in a drill that has a bubble marker on its back.  This is set so that the existing angle of the pin can be recorded.  After the Falcon wood is firmly cemented, (approx. 1 hour), I then drill a hole  in two passes that is '008" under the size of pin I am installing. For a 1/0 pin I begin with .200" then re-drill with (I think) .264"  This will usually yield 140-150 in/lbs of torque.  High, but containing a security margin. If using a new string, I put a coil on a dummy pin and transfer it to the hammered in pin, which is installed high by 1/2 turn.  If the torque is excessive, I will turn the installed pin back and forth a couple of times, (slowly).   

A bit more work than CA, but in cases where I have only one shot, this method has proven to be 100% successful. 

Regards,

Ed Foote RPT