CAUT

• 1.  Replace action frame in 1917 Hamburg Steinway model A?

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 02-01-2023 08:00
    Greetings Lists,

The piano is a 1917 Hamburg Steinway model "A" with 111mm action spread. The hammers, shanks and flanges have been recently replaced with Renner parts of modern specs (17mm knuckle placement).

We will be replacing the repetitions and are considering replacing the action frame with current production which should increase the action spread to 112.5mm.

Has anyone out there done this before? And is there any down-side to doing this?

Thanks,

Alan

------------------------------
    Alan Eder, RPT
    Herb Alpert School of Music
    California Institute of the Arts
    Valencia, CA

• 2.  RE: Replace action frame in 1917 Hamburg Steinway model A?

Posted 02-01-2023 17:31
    Contact Dean Reyburn.  Unless replacing keyset you should stick with original spec parts. Light weight hammers from Ronsen or Abel.

Parker Leigh
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 3.  RE: Replace action frame in 1917 Hamburg Steinway model A?

Posted 02-01-2023 17:43
    Thanks, Parker. I have posted to Dean about this.

Unfortunately, there is no budget for a new keyset, nor for replacing the (like-new condition) replacement parts.

Best,

Alan

Alan Eder, RPT
    Herb Alpert School of Music
    California Institute of the Arts
    Valencia, CA

• 4.  RE: Replace action frame in 1917 Hamburg Steinway model A?

Posted 02-02-2023 21:12

Hi Alan,

I didn't see this discussion right away, so hopefully I can help.

There are no new complete Steinway stacks available that I know of, but our shop  can install one, two or all new rails on the existing stack brackets. We can increase the spread if either the wippen or hammer rail is replaced, both replaced as a set lets us set everything up optimally.

Are you having any issues? 111 mm is a little too tight, but it will probably be functional. The minimum we ever want to see is 112 mm, and 112.5 to 112.75 is our target.`

You may be able to increase the spread by switching the hammer flanges from New York to Hamburg, if NY flanges is what you have. If memory serves, Hamburg flanges are 1 mm shorter from the screw hole. That may actually be the root cause of the short 111 mm spread, someone installed NY flanges on a Hamburg stack.

We're using Hamburg size hammer flanges on everything currently as that's what's most easily available and that's what both NY and German Steinways are using now.

Another way to increase the spread 1 mm is to install #17 music wire between the top of the wippen flange and the rail. Of course that changes the wippen ratio but that change may be beneficial or detrimental, depending on what's there now. 

In 1917 the knuckle distance was probably 16 mm or so, but whether the action is working correctly depends on the rest of the geometry. The key ratio varied widely so some old Steinways can use 17 mm knuckles, some won't work well. 

If you can fill out this web form, I can analyze the geometry and tell you if 16 mm or 17 mm is better, and probably more. See

https://www.reyburn.com/geometry.html

There's a PDF with instructions on the above page, lots of pictures. The first time this takes an hour. The second time, 30 minutes or less.  This is a free service for any PTG member or anyone in the piano rebuilding business.  I use the same custom software to analyze your action that we're using the Reyburn Pianoworks shop to design new actions and keysets.

Sometimes a capstan move can help accommodate a knuckle distance change, I can tell you that from filling out the above web form. A capstan move takes some time, but it's not that hard. It's plugging the old holes nice and neat that's the trick. I can comment on that if needed as we've done it a number times in our shop.

Hope that helps,

-Dean

Dean Reyburn, RPT
    Reyburn Pianoworks
    Reyburn CyberTuner
    1-616-498-9854
    dean@reyburn.com
    www.reyburnpianoworks.com
    www.cybertuner.com
    www.reyburntools.com
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/dean.reyburn

• 5.  RE: Replace action frame in 1917 Hamburg Steinway model A?

Posted 02-02-2023 22:17

Thank you Dean for this informative reply! Appreciate the time you took to write all this out.

Teri

• 6.  RE: Replace action frame in 1917 Hamburg Steinway model A?

Posted 02-03-2023 11:45
    Greetings .... I would like to see a guide of some type on the PTG website of the services that our members could consult. I know there is a directory but it would be very useful to know what services other members could provide such as the things Dean does/can do.

At the same time it would be valuable to know who has a stash of parts they could provide others with . I have gotten parts from a number of members and nonmember such as a a full lyre for a Chickering Quarter Grand Scale 121 from Gentile Piano Service in Boston, brass whippen flanges for Chickerings from the late Isaac Sadigursky and Kimball flange screws from Jim Geiger in TX. I know that David Hughes was making case parts/music desks for Steinways but since he retired maybe someone else does this ?

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 7.  RE: Replace action frame in 1917 Hamburg Steinway model A?

Posted 02-03-2023 18:11
    Hi James,
    My friend David Hughes is still running vintagecaseparts.com even though he's retired from rebuilding.  I like your idea though. Maybe contact Shawn with the PTG home office, sounds like an idea for him.
    -Dean

Dean Reyburn, RPT
    Reyburn Pianoworks
    Reyburn CyberTuner
    1-616-498-9854
    dean@reyburn.com
    www.reyburnpianoworks.com
    www.cybertuner.com
    www.reyburntools.com
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/dean.reyburn

• 8.  RE: Replace action frame in 1917 Hamburg Steinway model A?

Posted 02-04-2023 12:59

A helpful tool for measuring action spread is a center line guage tool ( added to your caliper) msc part # 06410 138.  More expensive versions available
    from spi and starrett.

Parker Leigh
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 9.  RE: Replace action frame in 1917 Hamburg Steinway model A?

Posted 02-04-2023 13:49
    Parker, which parts catalog are you referencing? Schaff Renner et al?

Patrick Draine RPT
    Billerica MA
    (978) 663-9690