Pianotech

• 1.  Replacement Bass String - Yamaha

Posted 11-30-2022 16:59
    Client with a Yamaha GC1M PE has a broken F1 string. While he was playing, it broke at the proximal bridge pin, so it can't be spliced.
    Can I just order a replacement for this model from Yamaha and be sure it will play nicely with its neighbors?
    Or should I wait until I see the piano, collect the string, and get JD Grandt to duplicate it for me?

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    | || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||
    Jason Kanter
    Lynnwood WA
    (425) 830-1561

• 2.  RE: Replacement Bass String - Yamaha

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 11-30-2022 17:13
    Jason

Call Schaff. They make strings for Yamaha. They will need the model and serial number, and the string number. Not just F1, but the actual number, counting from A0. 

• 3.  RE: Replacement Bass String - Yamaha

Posted 11-30-2022 17:25
    Mapes also has the string scales for Yamaha. They've been super fast lately--I've been getting Yamaha strings in 2-3 days.

Yes, count carefully. Recently, I described exactly how to count the strings to a college contact 90 miles away so I could arrive with the string ready to go.
    Instead, the contact still just counted the notes...and didn't realize BOTH strings were missing. Took more calls to Mapes, plus another trip.

Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

• 4.  RE: Replacement Bass String - Yamaha

Posted 11-30-2022 17:59
    Ordering from Yamaha will take forever, and then some.
    Mic the core and wrap. Measure from hitch pin to winding (piece the two segments together) and the length of the winding.
    Any string maker can make the replacement with those measurements.
    I take it that this is a single string note. If it were a bichord, you're better off replacing both strings to hope for better partial matching.

To measure if the string is missing altogether:
    Measure core & warp of adjacent strings, calculate dimensions.
    Measure h/p to winding (a line between adjacent note ends)
    Measure length of winding
    To account for stretching on installation:
    Subtract ⅛" (3 mm) from the h/p > winding
    Subract ¼" (6 mm) from the length of the winding.

Regards,

Jon Page
    mailto:jonpage@comcast.net
    http://www.pianocapecod.com

• 5.  RE: Replacement Bass String - Yamaha

Posted 11-30-2022 18:01
    Splicing Yamaha bass strings is not recommended because of their high tension, the splice will break.

Regards,

Jon Page
    mailto:jonpage@comcast.net
    http://www.pianocapecod.com

• 6.  RE: Replacement Bass String - Yamaha

Posted 11-30-2022 21:46
    It would be worth calling Yamaha first, since the model is still on the market they might have them on hand, also I presume this would be a warranty job. 
    Grandt is assiduous with his record keeping and might have the scaling info on hand.
    The last Yamaha string I ordered from Mapes, I sent the entire original yet they still made the loop significantly shorter which did not sit well with the plate.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 7.  RE: Replacement Bass String - Yamaha

Posted 12-02-2022 20:12
    If you want to get crazy and the client just has to have that note before you order a new string, you could splice it-twice. Once in the speaking length and once behind the bridge, though getting the correct overall length would be a challenge. Or just get a new string for reasons Jon mentioned about Yamaha’s high tension.

Joe Wiencek
    NYC

• 8.  RE: Replacement Bass String - Yamaha

Posted 12-03-2022 09:03
    Jon    thanks for the tip and formula. I have always had problems trying to match a missing string to its neighbor. Its also good to know about the high tension and string splicing. I always order a pair of new strings when one of a pair is broken

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357