CAUT

Expand all | Collapse all

Retirement, University of Washington Seattle

• 1.  Retirement, University of Washington Seattle

Posted 01-26-2023 19:34
    I have announced my retirement from the University of Washington School of Music, effective 3/14/2023. They are working on a job posting for this 1/2-time position to be posted soon. The position is a complement to the other 1/2-time tech, Jack Lofton. If you are interested, keep an eye on the UW job postings and/or get in touch with me directly.

------------------------------
    Douglas Wood RPT
    Seattle WA
    (206) 935-5797

• 2.  RE: Retirement, University of Washington Seattle

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 01-26-2023 20:02
    Happy trails, Doug. Say hello to Jack!

• 3.  RE: Retirement, University of Washington Seattle

Posted 02-01-2023 10:05
    Hello Doug, and congrats on retirement!....  You will love it.  Hopefully they have better luck with candidates than my school did.  I gave a year notice but the position was only posted about a month before my departure, which sounds similar.  Fortunately your assistant will still be on hand however, and that's a big plus. The Department here actually removed the RPT requirement for both open positions in order to find anyone, which is a sad situation.  If you end up helping out occasionally as an independent contractor for certain concerts, that's not so bad.  Please let us know how it goes and if they find a qualified replacement for your position soon.  I retired in September and St. Olaf still hasn't hired a replacement for either the full-time lead position or the 1/2 time assistant position.   

Best to you going forward,

Dennis Johnson, retired
    St. Olaf College

• 4.  RE: Retirement, University of Washington Seattle

Posted 02-01-2023 11:47
    I think the college and university situation is becoming pretty dire, as so many of us long term cauts are retiring, and few people with chops are willing to work for much less than they can command in a metropolitan area, plus don't really want to move to isolated places. On the plus side, salaries will probably be forced to go up, but there is still a scarcity of the skill sets.

My position was finally filled successfully, but it wasn't easy.
    Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    http://fredsturm.net
    www.artoftuning.com
    "A mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled." Plutarch

• 5.  RE: Retirement, University of Washington Seattle

Posted 02-01-2023 12:08
    Fred, 

Sooo....  That's one very big reason to get the CAUT certification approved and up and running! With this credential we also need to do a small publicity campaign; send notices to all CAUTs and institutions with them. 

Yes, that would require a bit of work, but I'd be willing to help. Maybe between you and I, and maybe Don and Vinny, we could get that together. 

Jim

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: Retirement, University of Washington Seattle

Posted 02-01-2023 13:06
    Jim

I'm willing to help, too, in my retirement. (At least semi).
    Two problems we need to deal with.
    1. As Fred mentioned, the compensation package. Too many schools are still of the mindset that piano tuners are like lawn maintenance people. Our pay is in the same category, and the school thinks there are lots of us out there, just begging to work for them. Somehow, we need to convince the better music programs that a qualified piano technician makes a lot more than that. 
    2. On the other side of that, however, is our perception of what it takes to be a CAUT. We need to keep in mind that we were once young and inexperienced, too, when we first started out. While we need guidelines, let's not make it so stringent that younger less experienced techs can't qualify.
    Along with that is the requirement of x number of years of experience. I don't know if you just read, but a young man who got his masters in piano tuning from Florida State was just hired at the University of Alabama, (my old school). After I was let go, the university did not fund my full-time position, so the music school had to get someone on an as needed basis. I don't how it has been at some of your schools, but perhaps getting someone fresh out of a program like FSU, or NBSS, might be a better fit than a tuner with 1 year of experience repeated 25 times. (if you get my drift). 

Wim

• 7.  RE: Retirement, University of Washington Seattle

Posted 02-01-2023 12:52

Hi all,

I studied with Steve Brady when he was there and it ran pretty smoothly by what I know.  When he resigned, there were 2 great technicians taking over the school. 

I can imagine how difficult it might be to get great technicians to cover the huge task of being a CAUT there.  Big school, lots of pianos etc. The salary doesn't cover the love of pianos!

One must remember the salary includes so many things unmentioned:  all insurances, 401K, vacation time, sick time, etc.  It's a huge thing to add looking at the salary range. And, not driving 40,00 miles a year as I did living on Whidbey Island, WA.  I replace cars much less often now.

I keep buying lotto tickets when they get really big! .My parting gift will be to replace several old Baldwin R's in dire need of retirement and ask to sit on the board of the search committee or else you don't get the pianos! LOL.

Paul

• 8.  RE: Retirement, University of Washington Seattle

Posted 02-01-2023 13:12
    Paul and Fred bring up excellent points. Finding good quality CAUT technicians isn’t easy, and so many techs look at the short term picture. I was patient at CSU Long Beach for 30 years, and it was okay. I had some fulfilling pianists and pianos to work with in addition to the usual slog of practice room work, and some very fulfilling work on the side.

Now I have a pretty fat old-fashioned pension plus health insurance paid the rest of my life. Plus what Paul said, a lot less driving with its hidden costs of car expense and such, and 403b retirement plans, and 30 years of no health or dental costs, which all piled up invisibly.

The other daunting obstacle is how many schools are looking at short-term solutions and letting tech salary lines go away. They don’t understand the value of a professional overseeing their expensive inventory and think it’s cost-saving to “just call the tuner when they need it”. What could possibly go wrong?

Again, so much of what we do comes down to education.

Kathy

• 9.  RE: Retirement, University of Washington Seattle

Posted 02-01-2023 13:42

How to educate the bean counters is a huge obstacle to climb!  It's hard enough to get universities to even go so far as hiring a full time person.

I'm so fortunate to have a great Dean of School of Music to stand up for me and have received several nice raises over my nearly 10 years here. The Director at UNL was a penny pincher and got very few raises as well as a low starting salary. There was my burn out in about 6 years to look elsewhere!  Why did I take it?  I lived on an island in Washington with 4 other RPT's with long standing customer bases and  forced to commute waaaayy too many miles to make a living. Ferry boats are spendy and extremely time consuming. Try it sometime!

Schools that won't recognize how difficult this position is will just have technicians run through the hoops and leave after a couple to 5 years, rather than recognizing how challenging the position really is. After 9 years now here at USC, I have really developed a "relationship" with my 125 pianos and know them and their nice points and their difficulties. We have retired several and purchased several more to the delight of faculty and students.  It took a few years to really get to know them.

I am the only piano tech over the whole state of 6 different campuses of USC. I have never been asked to visit other campuses. Thank God!

Shh! Don't tell, I don'twant to drive all over the state! Been there...done that!

Paul

• 10.  RE: Retirement, University of Washington Seattle

Posted 02-02-2023 11:51

Department administrators, "bean counters" as you say, are financial professionals. They look at pianos as "assets" not necessarily complex musical instruments that people become emotionally attached to. Piano technician salaries are "expenses" to be managed. Department administrators have to fight tooth and nail against every other department for every dollar that gets added to their budget. You need to talk to department administrators in financial terms they understand in order to justify increases in piano maintenance budgets and technician salaries.

Pianos are capital investments that depreciate over time and with use, and require continuous maintenance expense to keep the asset in functional condition and to extend its usable life. Technicians who can manage asset inventories, control maintenance expenditures and present relevant financial data may justify higher salaries. Skilled technicians who make pianos sound and play well may not be judged as valuable to the financial professional allocating a limited budget.

John Ginter

Plum Piano Restoration, Inc.

e-mail: john@plumpiano.com

cell: 832-722-3033       shop: 979-242-5180

• 11.  RE: Retirement, University of Washington Seattle

Posted 02-02-2023 12:59
    Good Discussion and I think we're all agreed that many Departments and Administrators are ignorant of the special skills required. Being staff, there will always be less resources and energy invested in finding our replacements than for faculty.  That's unfortunate, but it just won't change anytime soon.  Faculty replacements are posted and secured often a year in advance of the retired faculty member, and they often have hundreds of applicants.  It's generally presumed that a suitable replacement for staff can be found quickly and locally.  In my case, the salary wasn't impressive by today's standards but it was higher than most.  My point is that the problem goes deeper than educating administrators about salaries.  We have a serious national shortage of young people entering this field, and the vast majority of those who do see no reason to develop their aural skills. As a member of the search committee I am doing my best to try and prevent hiring a tuner with no aural skills who would fly through the fleet of instruments as quickly as possible, as is done at the U of M. The Department here would pay for and value a qualified, experienced technician but it's so hard to find. Perhaps part of that problem is being located in the Mid-West, but it is a high quality of life in this area, except for the cold right now- and state taxes. 

thanks,
    Dennis.

Dennis Johnson, R.P.T.
    St. Olaf College
    Music Dept.
    Northfield, MN 55337
    sta2ned@stolaf.edu
    (507) 786-3587

• 12.  RE: Retirement, University of Washington Seattle

Posted 02-02-2023 13:59
    I don't know how this works at other state schools, but when the flute professor at Alabama retired, the music chair had a hard time convincing the chair of the College of Fine Arts and Sciences that we needed another flute professor, not just a person with a degree in music. 

Is this the same criteria that state schools use when finding a replacement for the piano technician? Instead of a piano tuner, just find someone with a mechanical background, like repairing lawnmowers. Isn't that the same thing? lol 

• 13.  RE: Retirement, University of Washington Seattle

Posted 02-02-2023 13:53

Pianos are capital investments that depreciate over time and with use, and require continuous maintenance expense to keep the asset in functional condition and to extend its usable life. Technicians who can manage asset inventories, control maintenance expenditures and present relevant financial data may justify higher salaries. Skilled technicians who make pianos sound and play well may not be judged as valuable to the financial professional allocating a limited budget.

John Ginter

When I discussed my budget with the head of the piano area, I told her pianos are a working inventory. In other words, they are not just desks and chairs, but get used and need to be maintained. When I used that term, (working inventory), she told me that the university uses that term for their computers. Computers are working inventory, and thus need maintenance and eventually need to be replaced. 

With that information, she was able to get a little more funding for piano care. I'm only on a contract basis and get paid by the work I do, but I now have a budget to work with, specifically dedicated to piano maintenance. It's not enough, but no one else can use that money for other projects. 

Wim

• 14.  RE: Retirement, University of Washington Seattle

Posted 02-03-2023 12:32
    John Ginter adds considerable clarity to the matter! Thanks John, and good to see you again.

John Minor
    The Piano Shop Inc
    Champaign IL
    thepianoshopcu@gmail.com
    www.thepianoshopcu.com