Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

Securing spinet lift rods during transport

• 1.  Securing spinet lift rods during transport

Posted 11-15-2022 14:43
    I removed a spinet to work on repairing the blown out hammer felts.  I got them all nicely glued in place and am getting ready to transport it back to the customer.  When I took the action out, I gingerly carried it leaning forward out of the house and down to my vehicle where I gently laid it in the back.  Did the same getting it into my little shop area.  I have entered all sorts of keywords in our discussion search feature and nothing comes up.

So... how do you all secure the lift rods to get the action safely to the customer and installed back in to the piano?  I thought about some good string, but figured you all might have a better answer.

Thanks
    Patrick

------------------------------
    Patrick Greene
    OWNER
    Knoxville TN
    (865) 384-6582

• 2.  RE: Securing spinet lift rods during transport

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 11-15-2022 17:56
    "Spinet" does not really tell us much.

Larry Messerly, RPT
    Bringing Harmony to Homes
    www.lacrossepianotuning.com
    ljmesserly@gmail.com
    928-899-7292

• 3.  RE: Securing spinet lift rods during transport

Posted 11-15-2022 18:54
    Patrick.

If it’s a newer Wurlitzer or Howard spinet, the action brackets have small hooks on the end. There is a 4 piece rod available from Schaff that fits into those hooks.

If this is not a newer Wurlitzer or Howard, use duck tape to secure the stickers to the action brackets. But even at that, it will be much easier to put the action back on without the keys in the way.

Wim.

Sent from my iPhone

• 4.  RE: Securing spinet lift rods during transport

Posted 11-15-2022 23:07
    Expanding on what Wim said. Use a stick or dowel to hold all the rods up against the action and then secure the dowel with duct tape, string, wire, or zip ties to the hammer rest rail or action brackets. (1/2" pvc conduit or metal rod or flat will work also.) Slide the action straight down-slightly tilted towards you to avoid the dampers hitting the action posts. Unsecure the dowel and proceed.
    If it's a Baldwin or Wurlitzer the 4 piece rod is really handy, worth having even if you rarely use it, also if you have it you can use in place of the dowel mentioned above on any spinet. It's a rod that breaks down into 4 smaller lengths so it's easy to stow in the car.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 5.  RE: Securing spinet lift rods during transport

Posted 11-30-2022 08:45
    I use several short bungee cords and attach them
    to the action brackets at the point of contact for the hammer rest rail.  Cheap, effective and easy to store in your vehicle. Also adapt to any length of action.

I have the rods from Schaff but have found that they are sometimes too long for my preference.  Hope this helps

[Wesley] [Gill[Designation]
    Apollo PA
    (412) 480-6125
    WesleyGillWesley

• 6.  RE: Securing spinet lift rods during transport

Posted 11-16-2022 19:10
    I should have prefaced this by saying "ancient Winter spinet".

But not plastic elbows, thank goodness.

Thank you all for the good ideas!

Patrick Greene
    OWNER
    Knoxville TN
    (865) 384-6582

• 7.  RE: Securing spinet lift rods during transport

Posted 11-16-2022 01:09
    Certain spinets work well with a rod or a dowel. I find I can tie any spinet's fingers up with some string. I always carry a pre-cut length of string with me, but I rarely carry a dowel the right size.

David Stocker, RPT
    PNWRVP
    Olympia WA

• 8.  RE: Securing spinet lift rods during transport

Posted 11-16-2022 07:37
    I use 1/8" rubber tubing cut to a shorter length then the width of the action. Tie S hooks to the ends and use one or two S hooks in between to secure the drop lift rods. Secure the ends to the action brackets and the in between S hooks to whatever works, i.e. action bracket, hammer shank or rest rail.

Douglas Mahard
    Bethlehem CT
    (203) 266-6688

• 9.  RE: Securing spinet lift rods during transport

Posted 11-16-2022 08:42
    Lots of good suggestions. I got this idea from someone on this list a few years ago. Bungee cords, with copper hooks formed from heavy gauge copper wire.  I think I stripped it from some heavy Romex, but it might have been something I bought from Lowe's. Doesn't have to be heavy duty--only stiff enough to keep from bending under slight pressure.

The copper hooks hook onto the hammer rest rail. The bungee cord hooks hook together somewhere in the middle, and the other hooks onto whatever you need to make it tight enough. Works quite well. I think I still carry the 3-piece thing Pianotek sold a few years ago, but haven't used it for quite some time. (It never worked that well anyway.) The bungees work better, are cheaper, and easier to carry.

If an Acrosonic with the rail for the sticker wires, good to have a couple of damper blocks for clamps on the end wires (the damper blocks with the set screws). The bungees will keep things from flopping around in an Acrosonicn action.

John Formsma
    New Albany MS

"Sneak up on optimal."
    --Ron Nossaman

• 10.  RE: Securing spinet lift rods during transport

Posted 11-16-2022 09:26
    I was going to suggest mini bungie cords but someone beat me to it. Draping newspaper over the key ends will add a little more protection from potential snags when setting the action back in.

Randy Prentice RPT
    Tucson AZ
    (520) 749-3788

• 11.  RE: Securing spinet lift rods during transport

Posted 11-16-2022 17:39
    I've had success with camping gear ties which you can buy inexpensively in the camping area of Lowe's, Menard's etc.  They make different lengths, I have one long enough for the entire action, and several short ones tie it into place.

Walter Bagnall
    Chillicothe OH

• 12.  RE: Securing spinet lift rods during transport

Posted 11-16-2022 17:47
    Painter's tape also works.

Benjamin Sanchez, RPT
    Piano Technician / Artisan
    (256) 947-9999
    www.professional-piano-services.com

• 13.  RE: Securing spinet lift rods during transport

Posted 11-16-2022 19:12
    Benjamin

I have a bunch of painters tape because I am in the process of painting my house right now!  Good idea.

Patrick Greene
    OWNER
    Knoxville TN
    (865) 384-6582

• 14.  RE: Securing spinet lift rods during transport

Posted 11-17-2022 07:07
    This article by Jeff Hickey shows a top-class professional way to safely move a vertical piano action. Page 14

https://higherlogicdownload.s3-external-1.amazonaws.com/PTG/PTJ-2013-3.pdf?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAVRDO7IEREB57R7MT&Expires=1668690000&Signature=KcyIZ3VVGxwtXjmMJy8s4VxVx7k%3D

Ed Sutton
    ed440@me.com
    (980) 254-7413