CAUT

• 1.  Sensor Position Invariance. YouTube Video

Posted 01-19-2024 04:19

I have 'exposed' the fact to help piano tuners understand the large variance that comes from moving the microphone of the ETD, causing a large variance on the tuning measurement by a worst case of more than 1 cent, this being an intolerable amount, causing the tuner to no longer trust the ETD. I have also been showing the invariance of the PianoSens sensor. Now people want to know how small changes along the position of the string will affect the tuning measurement in their ETD when the PianoSens sensor is used. This is a fair question and deserves an answer. This video demonstrates that the sensor, when kept to an area between the hammer and the termination of the string, is invariant on measurement. The result is an astoundingly near-zero variance. The device is available.

https://youtu.be/xUfOnQWWoD4

------------------------------
    Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 2.  RE: Sensor Position Invariance. YouTube Video

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 01-21-2024 20:35

I see nothing wrong with trying to raise the bar for tuning accuracy.  If  some feel threatened by this that is not a fault of the technology.

Parker Leigh RPT
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 3.  RE: Sensor Position Invariance. YouTube Video

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 02-05-2024 22:48

I've had my sensor now for two days and my initial reaction is "Wow!" 95% of display jittering is gone. I have both Tunelab abd Pianometer on Android. Anthony's Pianometer has gone from perpetual movement in circles to virtually dead still. Very impressive! Tunelab likewise is very stable now. 

Not only are these now much easier to read, the signal gets to the app faster now, reducing waiting time (always drove me crazy waiting around for the thing to respond). Accuracy is clearly improved and repeatable (another issue I've had in the past). 

And yes, unison tuning has improved. No, I'm not attempting to nail it within .1 cent, however I have easily reduced the "spread" in my unisons and I like the sound I'm getting by tuning the outside strings to the program and then tuning the middle string aurally.  A quick check after tuning it and I've nailed it 90% of the time. Still getting used to it but so far, all in all, I'd say it lives up to the claims of the developer. 

As to "false" beats, it does ignore some of them but not all of them as we already knew. However it does in fact make it easier to cover/reduce existing false beats with assisting greater accuracy in the tuning of the affected unisons. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com