CAUT

• 1.  SERC

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 12-17-2023 19:13

Involve me.

In a classroom where I was tuning, I saw the following proverb on the board:

TELL ME, I FORGET. SHOW ME, I REMEMBER. INVOLVE ME, I UNDERSTAND

This proverb is what the PTG is all about. Hearing or reading a procedure is not going to have the same impact as seeing the procedure demonstrated. And if you can actually get your hands on the procedure, the impact will be even more rewarding.

There are a lot of piano tuners who seem to think that they can get all the information they need just by reading the newsletters, or the Journal, or watching U-tube videos. While being well read is very important, and I don't want to imply that you should not be reading the technical and business articles in the Journal, but you are shortchanging yourself to rely on only them for all your education.  Even for articles that are very well written with precise instructions and intricate explanations of every procedure, they are not going to have the same impact as actually seeing it demonstrated.

That is what chapter meetings and seminars are all about. This is where the technical are shown, where hands-on experiences are possible.  Maybe not every meeting or seminar is going to have the latest and best information, but there are, nevertheless, some interesting classes presented that will benefit you. Even if a technical procedure had been demonstrated before, it doesn't hurt to see it again, for no other reason to see how another person does it. 

In other words, don't look for an excuse to skip the upcoming Southeast Regional Conference. Look to see how you can attend it in Jacksonville, Feb 22 – 24. For information and registration go to WWW.SERCPTG.ORG.

If you're in the business of piano tuner, attending this Conference should be your top priority. Nothing short of a family emergency should take its place. What you can learn will make a difference. See it happen, and you'll remember. Get involved, and you'll understand.

------------------------------
    Willem "Wim" Blees, RPT
    St. Augustine, FL 32095
    Tnrwim@aol.com
    ------------------------------