Voicing

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Side needle info

• 1.  Side needle info

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 30 days ago

Hi PTG Voicing,

I'm looking for some info on side needle voicing. I've seen Keith Akins' article "Voicing for the Rest of Us" referenced (Journal?), but I'm having trouble locating that. Any other experience or writeups available would be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------
    All the finest,
    Nate Reyburn, RPT

http://www.reyburntools.com

• 2.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 29 days ago

Hi Nate-

I was first exposed to side needling in 2007 while working the Bosendorfer/ Schimmel competition when I was a technician at Arizona State. Schimmel recommended side needling in the bass hammers in the wound strings to reduce some of the more metallic mid rangey sound that their concert grand had in that area. It worked to great effect and I continue to use the techniques.

Best-

David

David C. Brown RPT
    Garland TX
    tunermandb88.com

• 3.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 28 days ago
    David,
    Specifically, where did they suggest you side needle? Similar to the Akins' article?

Vince Mrykalo  드림

An error in thinking does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.

OSU  Greenwood School of Music

Visit my blog at:  http://mrykalopiano.blogspot.com/

• 4.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 28 days ago

I'm curious to know that also. My somewhat limited experience with side voicing has been that it's largely ineffective, so I'd be interested to know how you got the results you did. 

Benjamin Sanchez, RPT
    Piano Technician / Artisan
    (256) 947-9999
    www.professional-piano-services.com

• 5.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 28 days ago
    I have experimented with side needling from time to time. A few things to consider:
    • it is hard to hold the hammer securely so no damage is done
    • It is hard to remove the needle(s) for the same reason
    • this particularly applies with the needle pliers (as in Bolduc's or similar): the tool drives three needles in, but then what?
    • If one wants to do the needling evenly, either the needle(s) must penetrate through the other side or you have to go in from both directions 

Bottom line, from my experience, is that side needling has rarely been very useful. For opening up shoulders, I find that needling from the rounded surface is far more effective. (I do find that the standard "radial toward the core" recommendation is quite simply wrong. I described what I do in my May, 2017 article on upright voicing, including the angles I use. The technique of having the hammer well supported and standing over it, using body weight to press the needles home is key).

I'll note that Ari Isaac advocated for a single needle all the way through under the crown as a standard procedure. I think he had far less dense hammers than most I have tried it on. That is somewhat in line with what Akins described, essentially the equivalent of chopstick surface voicing. I did find it useful in "reducing ugliness fast" in practice room uprights 30 years ago.  You can get similar results with steaming or applying something like water and alcohol or a fabric softener solution.

However, these are bandaid procedures, and don't really address what needs to be addressed, which is opening up the shoulders to increase the tonal gradient (not to mention travel/square/level/mate). This is not to say that such procedures should never be used, but they should be recognized as temporary and surface for the most part.

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    "Since everything is in our heads, we had better not lose them." Coco Chanel

• 6.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 28 days ago

Read   "Working With Hammers"  by Wally Brooks, Jr  RPT  available from Brooks Online.  Best thing I have ever read on the topic.

Instead of side needling get 10 Er Vice Grips,  grind the serrations smoothe,  use to squeeze the shoulders.  

Parker Leigh RPT
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 7.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 27 days ago
    I use the Jahn side needling pliers pictured here. Schimmel recommended that you use them parallel to the molding with the needles not moving past the tip of the molding in the shoulders moving from the molding out toward the outer edge. These pliers do require that you work from both sides.  Once you do it for a while it becomes pretty natural. This had a good effect on the hammers in these pianos to remove the sort of bongy, clangy sound in the upper wound strings. I found it works on other hammers as well. I wouldn't say it's a technique that I use every day, but it is in my arsenal.

DB
    8E1DC2A9-E554-419A-B9E0-2FAC79F0E3D0_1_102_o.jpeg

--

David C. Brown RPT
    Garland Texas
    214-288-9413
    C3C5578A-080F-46BA-BB2B-3723624E6147_4_5005_c.jpeg

• 8.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 27 days ago

I see that those needling pliers hold the hammer so that the needles are extracted from them by the action of the tool's springs. I can see that they would be useful. With the Bolduc tool, you really have to pull the needles out of the hammer after each insertion, at least, on the very dense hammers that I have tried them on, which makes them far more difficult to use. 

Fred Sturm
    University of New Mexico
    fssturm@unm.edu
    http://fredsturm.net
    http://www.artoftuning.com
    "We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same." - Carlos Casteneda

• 9.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 27 days ago
    Hi Fred-

Yes I was never a fan  of that style of pliers. These have worked well for me.

DB

--

David C. Brown RPT
    Garland Texas
    214-288-9413

• 10.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 27 days ago
    Those pliers you have, Dave, are similar to the ones that were available from PianoTek years ago. The difference is the configuration of the needles. I have been using it with one needle. I originally got it to do side needling on extreme treble hammers, to improve the tone. Thanks for the bass hammer tip. 

Vince Mrykalo  드림

An error in thinking does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.

• 11.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 29 days ago

July 2001, https://my.ptg.org/HigherLogic/System/DownloadDocumentFile.ashx?DocumentFileKey=c31d19e3-a6aa-0469-49dd-2ce6ab953913&forceDialog=0

(There's a journal search here that enabled me to find it: https://my.ptg.org/ptgeducation/index .  It is linked on the Home page but I think we need a more obvious navigation point personally).

I have used side needling with some success on badly worn hammers, on an older Baldwin grand.  I do believe it did a quicker and more long-lasting job than I could have accomplished with normal needling -- and is in my opinion less destructive if the goal is a large, permanent tone change.  They eventually got replaced anyway, but it bought the client a couple more years of not-so-horribly-glassy tone.

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 12.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 29 days ago

FWIW I just did it with a normal single-needle tool.  I would wear thick gloves if I did it again, as I poked myself out the opposite side of the hammer far more than I would have liked...

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 13.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 29 days ago

I have no vast experience with this technique, but I wonder, would squeezing with pliars have a similar effect?

Blaine Hebert RPT
    Duarte CA
    (626) 390-0512

• 14.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 26 days ago

I have been using side needling voicing for a couple of years with great success.  Experimentation started with the Ari Isaac method, but it was too hard on my hands.  Two years ago Dennis Johnson (retired St Olaf tech and ICON) did a seminar at the West Central Regional PTG Convention in Kansas City.  My mentee went.  He was amazed at the results Dennis was getting.

I realized I had the Bolduc tool Dennis uses and voiced several higher level pianos needling the areas outlined in the attached picture.  Both sides of the hammer are needled.

At first I used a single needle because was more precise.  I found the Jahn tool and decided on the single side tool rather than the double side tool.  Double sided is impossible for use with vertical pianos.  The single side tool also allowed to put needles in the 1 and 4 position of the needle holes which made the process even faster to work both sides of the core without drastically changing the position of the hammer.  Working the outer edge and closer to the core results in different results, depending on what is needed. 

One additional area not in the picture is the battery which is below the staple. 

David Anderson advocated very flexible areas of the hammer to develop that lush sound with power and attack. The best  of both worlds.

Tim Coates RPT
    Sioux Falls SD

• 15.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 26 days ago

Pliers are cheaper,  more efficient and don't run the risk of having to extract broken needles.  Read "Working With Hammers" by Wally Brooks

Parker Leigh RPT
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 16.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 26 days ago

Did Wally's method 25 years ago.  Been there, done that.  Time to move on.  See Fred's response below.

Tim Coates RPT
    Sioux Falls SD

• 17.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 26 days ago
    Pliers deform the felt, as does steam. If the aim is making the tone, less ugly, those techniques can have their place, as can compass point needling.

However, essentially the same kind of result can be achieved by using shallow needles on the crown, particularly if they are smaller needles like number nine or number 10, Inserted no more than about 3 mm.

But the basis of high-end work, specifically expanding the total range of the hammer, and making it expressive, requires opening up the shoulders using deeply penetrating needles. At least, that is what I have concluded over my 40 odd years of work.

• 18.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 26 days ago
    Yes, my years doing this work also seem a little odd,

Vince Mrykalo  드림

• 19.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 25 days ago
    I have recently used the squeezing method on the shoulders on a set of Steinway hammers with good results...quickly. Yes this method deforms and cups the hammers, unless you squeeze close to the mouldings and grind the squeezing pliers down to a small area at the business end. I squeezed only on the proximal sides (closer to the player in a grand), and improved the dynamic range and overall tone quite a bit.

Vince Mrykalo  드림

• 20.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 24 days ago
    Hi Vince-

Hamburg hammers?

D

--

David C. Brown RPT
    Garland Texas
    214-288-9413

• 21.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 24 days ago
    I see I should have been more specific. NY.

Vince Mrykalo  드림

• 22.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 24 days ago
    Thanks so much , Vince. Could you expand more exactly on how the sound was changed? And where in the scale did you work?

Grateful for all the input-

DB

--

David C. Brown RPT
    Garland Texas
    214-288-9413

• 23.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 23 days ago
      |   view attached

It was a well used Steinway O that I did the shoulder squeezing technique on and as I stated before, squeezing only the shoulders on the proximal side (closer to the keyboard) close to the mounding so as not to deform the hammers much. I was interested in getting rid of the loud and louder dynamic range to give the player a chance to play softly, yet not lose the power and loud capability it already had. It surprised me as to how well it worked, and did just what I was aiming for in short order. The hammers were not so worn that I needed to extensively reshape, except to remove the shelf the string cuts made, which didn't take long but did nothing to increase the dynamic range. I can't say it did anything more than increase the dynamic range, but in this case, it was enough. I am sure I didn't go all the way up to hammer 88, but can't say for sure how far I went up. Maybe half way through octave 6, and from there just used the needle pretty much at the crown.

Vince Mrykalo RPT
    www.mrykalopiano.com
    Visit my blog at: www.mrykalopiano.blogspot.com
    Success in tuning, as has been said of genius, is the result of an infinite capacity for taking pains.- Tom O'Meara (Editor, Tuners' Journal 1925)

• 24.  RE: Side needle info

Posted 18 days ago
    Thanks for this full recap, Vince.

DB

--

David C. Brown RPT
    Garland Texas
    214-288-9413