CAUT

Expand all | Collapse all

Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

• 1.  Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-01-2024 01:07
    Tuners generally agree with me that the benefits are significant for tuning accuracy using a string sensor in the upper register of the piano where 'acoustic false beats' are eliminated with the sensor vs the mic. However, astonishingly, there are huge variances tuning in the low register due to suppressed partials with the mic. These variances I show can be as much as 1 cent.
    I created a Youtube video and explanation and link below. Please watch and let me know what you think. By the way, I was very much surprised myself from this. 

Best regards, and Happy New Year!

Respectfully yours,
    Steven Norsworthy
    Jan 1, 2024

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCVVjcOg188

YouTube remove preview
    Tuners generally agree with me that the benefits are significant for tuning accuracy with PianoSens in the upper register of the piano where acoustic false beats are eliminated with the sensor vs the mic. However, astonishingly there are huge variances tuning in the low register due to suppressed partials with the mic.
    View this on YouTube >

------------------------------
    Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 2.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 01-02-2024 07:20

Hi Steven-

Thanks for your work, very interesting. Can you tell me at which partial this 1 cent variance occurs? 

Many thanks-

DB

David C. Brown RPT
    Garland TX
    tunermandb88.com

• 3.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-02-2024 10:41

Is there a similar sensor or other protocol to improve accuracy in the low bass?

Parker Leigh RPT
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 4.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-02-2024 11:14

Hi Parker:

I've been working with Steven for the past year on his sensor.  Leading up to this point, we tested many types of microphones and placement, and the results were not consistent.  This led us to pursue other types of sensors, like a Hall-effect, contact mics, piezo, and similar.  Then we tried using guitar-type pickups, but found that they are noisy and lacked enough sensitivity unless they were very close to the strings.  If they are too close, the magnets in the pickups are pulling on the strings and affect the pitch.  Steve's background in electronics and signal processing led him to a company that he is now using to produce the optimum combination of low noise and extreme sensitivity.  I have heard that Frank Illenberger, author of Pianoscope, has been experimenting with different ideas and pickups.  You might contact him and inquire about his experiences. 

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-02-2024 21:14

Have you tried non-magnetic guitar pickups such as Lace Sensor or Fishman Fluence?

Parker Leigh RPT
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 6.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-02-2024 22:23

Are you certain they are not magnetic?  They look like ordinary pickups.  If they aren't magnetic, how do they work?  

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-02-2024 22:35

They are indeed electromagnetic based.

The only other way is optical, and that is a permanent install per string and is impractical.

Guitar pickups all have an issues. Mine solves all the important issues. Mine has no 'pulling' on the string, and has a flat frequency response in the audio range. It has over 140 dB of dynamic range, better than the 24 bit ADC in the iRig box, and way beyond anything you will ever need in terms of performance. It is super compact. I don't know how one can do better because if I would be doing it differently if so.

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 8.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-03-2024 00:22

Will the device hold its position on the wound bass strings of an upright piano?
    Also how does one go about positioning the device for the high treble strings of the upright and still allow for a hammer strike? I'm wondering if there could be the option of a special version that is able to insert between the strings of the adjacent note(s) yet is short enough to avoid the soundboard and/or plate, to pick up the vibrations from the back side of the strings?
    Ernest Unrau
    Morden MB

• 9.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-03-2024 00:49

Yes, I have a companion series magnet that doubles the coupling holding power. Paul McCloud uses it all the time on uprights on the bass strings!

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 10.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-03-2024 01:16

Yes.  If you put it at the top of the strings, the core wire will adhere nicely to the magnetic sled of the sensor. The sensor is shipped with an extra magnet, which can be placed behind the sled, like a train car behind the locomotive.  Or the magnet can be placed side by side, or even on top of the sled magnet.  I find it helpful to put a piece of electrical tape on the bottom of the sled, which helps keep it sticking to the strings and not twisting around.  In the tenor section, I found that placing a magnet against the pressure bar acts as a spacer and adds extra holding power.  The sled then is side by side and underneath that magnet. 

The best position of the pickup is near the end of the strings, as it gives the steadiest indication.  The partial strength is greater there.

For the treble where the dampers are too close to the hammers, the sensor is able to pick up the vibration of the strings from the next note over.  So where the dampers are too close to the hammer, put the pickup on the next note.  It does take a little finesse to route the wire from the sensor around the hammer line.  Spinets and consoles can be done this way, but it's much easier on larger uprights where there is more room.  Past the dampers you can put it farther below the hammers, and use a mute strip and/or individual mute above it. 

There is another device called a Helpinstill, which was invented back in the '70's and it is used to mic a piano with a magnetic strip pickup.  This strip is held with metal brackets, either above or below the strings.  I have used this on upright pianos with some success, and also grands, but there's quite a bit of time necessary to install it and again remove it when you're done.  I finally gave up on it.  The other problem with the Helpinstill is that it picks up vibrations from all the strings, so any undamped strings will add noise  and unwanted resonances to the input of your ETD.  I have a venue with two grand pianos with the Helpinstill installed, but I found it better to use the Pianosens.  You can look up the Helpinstill devices on the internet to get the full story.  But be aware also that any magnetic pickup will affect the measurement of the pitch if the magnetic field is too close to the strings.  Guitar players know about this.  That's why we had to develop a totally new sensor to get an accurate measurement so it wouldn't affect the string pitch by placing it far away from the string, and yet put out enough signal to power the ETD.

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-03-2024 03:24

Paul's explanation is really good! I endorse it.

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 12.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-03-2024 09:49

Yes, that's a helpful description. I edited my original post to improve my question, but I'll repeat the latter portion of the revision as it affects uprights:

I'm speculating if there might be the option of a configuration that is able to insert  the pickup between strings of the adjacent note(s) yet is short enough to avoid the soundboard and/or plate, to enable it to pick up the vibrations from the back side of the strings? This would avoid both the hammer of the target note and a sub-optimal pickup position, and ought to solve the damper issue too since it could position the pickup at the strike-point, but is behind the strike-point.

The other thought is if blue-tooth connectivity would solve the cable connection issue.

Ernest Unrau
    Morden MB

• 13.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-03-2024 10:29

Regarding Bluetooth, I had the same idea.  But Steve pointed out that the wireless options introduce noise and other problems, plus it necessitates a transmitter and battery which makes it more bulky. 

The question of a pickup placed behind the strings is a good one.  The problem is the size of the pickup.  In order to get enough gain without noise, the pickup design has to be a certain size because of the windings and magnets inside.  If the pickup doesn't have enough gain, you have to add more amplification.  Which can be done of course, and we do amplify it.  But the pickup itself has to be very low noise in itself, otherwise you'll simply amplify the noise.  Then there's ambient EMF's and electromagnetic interference from routers, cell phones, etc in the home.  We went through all of this.  Steve's background in signal processing was and is exactly in his area of expertise that we needed to solve these problems, along with the engineering expertise of the company making the sensors.  Unfortunately, you can't make it much smaller to allow it to fit between the strings, and it's too tall to fit between the strings and the plate.  Even if you could fit it behind, you have to have some way to position it precisely a certain distance from the strings so it won't pull on the strings and cause a bad reading. 

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 14.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-05-2024 22:52

As a picture is worth 1,000 words as the saying goes, here is how I envision in my mind (2nd snapshot) that perhaps the pickup could be behind the strings for an upright piano, whereas the sensor would, I presume, need to be on top the strings for a grand as shown on the website for the device:

Snapshot of the PianoSens device
    Possible alternate sensor configuration for upright use.

Ernest Unrau
    Morden MB

• 15.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-06-2024 01:18

The design of magnetic pickups requires a magnet to induce a magnetic field into a wire.  A coil is placed to intersect with the magnetic field in the wire, so that any movement of the magnetically charged wire will induce a current in the coil.  In your drawing, you would need a magnet near the wire(s) to make it work, and a coil nearby to pick up the vibration.  Pickups are almost always designed with the magnet and coil in one unit, sharing the same center line.  But it is possible to have a magnet on the other side of the string opposite the coil.  Obviously, this would not be ideal for our purpose, but it would otherwise work.  There is a limiting factor in producing the coils small enough to fit between the strings, and that is that the coil is made of thousands of turns of extremely fine wire.  That takes some space.  And those fine wires are very fragile too.  So you have to have a protected environment.  Then, you have to shield the coil from interference and hum, or that will confuse the app too.  These things are not easy to produce, and finding the right configuration is the job of engineering companies who specialize in magnetics.  Believe me, I'm thinking the same as you, to put it behind the strings, but in reality it's just not going to work.

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 16.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-06-2024 01:32
    A lot of new engineering went into the design of this sensor. Unlike guitar pick ups. I had to solve problems that current guitar pick up technology has not yet solved.

• 17.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-05-2024 22:17

Can you comment on the utility of this sensor for voicing hammers? Such as, if the graph of partials like those viewed on the "bass error" video are accurate and reliable enough from note to note, then might that also assist as a visual guide to analyze the characteristics of each hammer and each note to help guide us in voicing the hammers?

For example, sample "A" might be judged as "perfect" with such-and-such an "ideal" graph, while sample "B" might be assessed as weak for such-and-such partials compared to sample "A", and therefore this chemical hardener or this needling will help adjust the hammer to improve the weaker partials to match sample "A". 

Just speculating if this device can "focus" on the individual strings and give better readings than a mic in some device or ETD, if this sensor might unlock voicing secrets by giving better input to guide voicing techniques than by ear or mic, as the acoustics of any room will ALWAYS change the note being worked on. Just like a mic, moving your ear a few inches here or there can change the aural "impact" of any given note, making objective voicing assessments difficult to achieve.

Ernest Unrau
    Morden MB

• 18.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-05-2024 22:53

In theory, it is possible to make a more objective system of voicing, using a sensor rather than aurally or using a mic with an app. We need to experiment to determine how to map a particular partial to a location on a hammer where you could soften or harden it to affect just that partial, or several.  Having  visual reference to the partials would be easier to quantify than doing it aurally.  We need to try voicing hammers, recording the procedures used, and where on the hammer they were done.  Simultaneously, record the partial readout amplitude.  The resulting correlation of procedure, location and partial magnitude would give us a precise way to voice a piano.  It would be even better if we had a repeatable blow force, some device which would be able to play the note at different levels while the voicing process is being done.

You are correct that movements of your head and ears can substantially change what you hear during voicing.  Using the sensor eliminates that phenomenon. 

Aside from the arguments above, using a sensor vs aurally voicing brings up another question.  Given the variation in the soundboard response, is not voicing inherently an acoustic phenomenon?  The soundboard and bridges are acting like a filter, in addition to amplifying and coupling the string vibration to the air.  Some notes on a piano are louder than others for the same input force.  So, in effect, voicing is partly an attempt to address these differences.  Modifying a hammer is one of the tools we use to do this.  But it is not the only tool.  More invasive procedures such as making scale changes, substituting bichords, adding mass to bridges, etc., are also used.  Just by the inherent design of the piano, some notes are going to be louder with the same blow force because the soundboard/bridge is more efficient at that place.  This would have nothing to do with whether the strings have comparable partials, as measured by a sensor.  Using a sensor to voice hammers might be helpful at least, to "level the playing field", but comparing different notes across the keyboard would be difficult to measure without a sound pressure meter using a microphone.  And that again introduces errors inherent in mic or head placement. 

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 19.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-02-2024 22:10

Hi David,

I will have to go check which partials are off by how much, individually, I can do that off line in Matlab with my signal processing programs. I'll get back with you later in the week.

Best,

Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 20.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-03-2024 07:46

Steven-

Thank you-

DB

David C. Brown RPT
    Garland TX
    tunermandb88.com

• 21.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-04-2024 10:11

Have you tried mics built for low frequency such as:  sennheiser md421,  Shure Beta or other kick drum mics?

Have you tried Lace Alumitone 6 bass guitar pickups?

/

Parker Leigh RPT
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 22.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-04-2024 15:11

Neumann 183's, I have them, they are flat to below 20 Hz.

Talk to any recording engineer who specializes in piano. You get a different sound (spectra) at every little change of location. 

The sensor is consistent because it looks at what is happing at the string. 

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 23.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-04-2024 19:29

Are they omni or cardoid?

Parker Leigh RPT
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 24.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-04-2024 19:34

The Neumann 183's are omni. They cost $1000 each. I also have Neumann TLM 170 mics, and they have 5 pattern selections, and they cost $3500 each. IT DOES NOT MATTER WHAT MIC YOU USE, TRUST ME. All mics pick up acoustic interference patterns. Hence, PianoSens... which costs a lot less than an instrumentation mic by Neumann, the king of mics!

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 25.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-04-2024 23:42
    Hi,

While I generally prefer a larger diaphragm mic for piano the KM 183s,
    used well, can sound really good.

I must admit that, while the Sennheiser MD421 doesn't do much for me as
    a piano mic. I know that they are used as such; and have seen that in a
    number of situations. Still, it's a dynamic mic, not a condensor.
    Also, it's range of 30Hz to 17KHz reflects the antiquity of its design.
    I don't think that it's a very good mic for low frequencies. Still,
    it does a number of things really well...drum sets, vocals, most winds,
    a number of others. I've even heard them used on Leslies. For those
    kinds of applications, they seem fine.

The Sennheiser mics that I prefer for piano are the MKH 8020. Also
    omni. Like the Neumann KM 8x and KM 18x series, these mics are much
    more forgiving of the vagaries of recording a piano than are many others.

In my own travels and the vagaries of our work, I've picked up small
    collection of mics from various makers. Each designer/maker seems to
    have a particular sound in their heads...perhaps in their sights.... I
    note that because I have listened to the mics that I own (including AEA,
    Neumann, Schoeps, Sennheiser) seem to have a "company sound" for lack of
    a better phrase. I found this particularly true as I gradually shifted
    my Neumann collection to ones that had been rebuilt/upgraded by Klaus
    Heyne, or someone in his company. These were very consistent; and,
    usable for almost anything. My one regret is that, in a moment of
    weakness, I traded a pair of original U47s for the pair of U87s I now
    have. The latter are truly amazing; but the former had more soul.

My only concern for using any mics like this for piano tuning has to do
    with the necessary proximity to the string. No matter how good they may
    be, they're all too big. Thus, I am very enthusiastic about this
    research; and am very interested in how things unfold.

Please do let us know how go!

Thank you very much.

Kind regards.

Horace

On 1/4/2024 12:11 PM, Steven Norsworthy via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    > Neumann 183's, I have them, they are flat to below 20 Hz.
    >
    >
    > Talk to any recording engineer who specializes in piano. You get a different sound (spectra) at every little change of location.
    >
    >
    > The sensor is consistent because it looks at what is happing at the string.
    >
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > Steven Norsworthy
    > Cardiff By The Sea CA
    > (619) 964-0101
    > -------------------------------------------
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 01-04-2024 10:11
    > From: Parker Leigh
    > Subject: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's
    >
    >
    > Have you tried mics built for low frequency such as: sennheiser md421, Shure Beta or other kick drum mics?
    >
    > Have you tried Lace Alumitone 6 bass guitar pickups?
    >
    > /
    >
    >
    > Parker Leigh RPT
    > Winchester VA
    > (540) 722-3865
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 01-01-2024 01:06
    > From: Steven Norsworthy
    >
    > Tuners generally agree with me that the benefits are significant for tuning accuracy using a string sensor in the upper register of the piano where 'acoustic false beats' are eliminated with the sensor vs the mic. However, astonishingly, there are huge variances tuning in the low register due to suppressed partials with the mic. These variances I show can be as much as 1 cent.I created a Youtube video and explanation and link below. Please watch and let me know what you think. By the way, I was very much surprised myself from this. Best regards, and Happy New Year! Respectfully yours,Steven NorsworthyJan 1, 2024
    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCVVjcOg188 <https: www.youtube.com/watch?v="VCVVjcOg188">
    > YouTuberemove preview <https: youtu.be/vcvvjcog188="">Tuners generally agree with me that the benefits are significant for tuning accuracy with PianoSens in the upper register of the piano where acoustic false beats are eliminated with the sensor vs the mic. However, astonishingly there are huge variances tuning in the low register due to suppressed partials with the mic.View this on YouTube > <https: youtu.be/vcvvjcog188="">
    >
    > Steven Norsworthy
    > Cardiff By The Sea CA
    > (619) 964-0101
    >
    >
    > Reply to Sender : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=49&MID=771512&SenderKey=847a0756-a9da-4759-81fc-0186de59d325
    >
    > Reply to Discussion : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=49&MID=771512
    >
    >
    >
    > You are subscribed to "CAUT" as horacegreeleypiano@sonic.net. To change your subscriptions, go to http://my.ptg.org/preferences?section=Subscriptions. To unsubscribe from this community discussion, go to http://my.ptg.org/HigherLogic/eGroups/Unsubscribe.aspx?UserKey=18d8c323-aa1d-4526-8bf1-a6805870cbe6&sKey=KeyRemoved&GroupKey=e03c48ae-bba7-4045-9d5f-c5e4b7b46b15.
    >

• 26.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-04-2024 23:55
    Horace,

It’s the soundboard that produces the acoustic wave, not the string. Therefore, proximity to the string is not important for the mic. It is critically important to the sensor, which does not ‘hear’ anything acoustically. It only measures what is happening on the sting. The mic cannot do that. The string makes no sound!

Best,
    Steve

• 27.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-05-2024 00:37
    Hi, Steve,

Let's stipulate that this is correct.

I'm interested in the reductive analysis that establishes that the
    string makes no sound.

Kind regards.

Horace

On 1/4/2024 8:54 PM, Steven Norsworthy via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    > Horace,
    >
    > It???s the soundboard that produces the acoustic wave, not the string. Therefore, proximity to the string is not important for the mic. It is critically important to the sensor, which does not ???hear??? anything acoustically. It only measures what is happening on the sting. The mic cannot do that. The string makes no sound!
    >
    > Best,
    > Steve
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 1/4/2024 11:42:00 PM
    > From: Horace Greeley
    > Subject: RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > While I generally prefer a larger diaphragm mic for piano the KM 183s,
    > used well, can sound really good.
    >
    > I must admit that, while the Sennheiser MD421 doesn't do much for me as
    > a piano mic. I know that they are used as such; and have seen that in a
    > number of situations. Still, it's a dynamic mic, not a condensor.
    > Also, it's range of 30Hz to 17KHz reflects the antiquity of its design.
    > I don't think that it's a very good mic for low frequencies. Still,
    > it does a number of things really well...drum sets, vocals, most winds,
    > a number of others. I've even heard them used on Leslies. For those
    > kinds of applications, they seem fine.
    >
    > The Sennheiser mics that I prefer for piano are the MKH 8020. Also
    > omni. Like the Neumann KM 8x and KM 18x series, these mics are much
    > more forgiving of the vagaries of recording a piano than are many others.
    >
    > In my own travels and the vagaries of our work, I've picked up small
    > collection of mics from various makers. Each designer/maker seems to
    > have a particular sound in their heads...perhaps in their sights.... I
    > note that because I have listened to the mics that I own (including AEA,
    > Neumann, Schoeps, Sennheiser) seem to have a "company sound" for lack of
    > a better phrase. I found this particularly true as I gradually shifted
    > my Neumann collection to ones that had been rebuilt/upgraded by Klaus
    > Heyne, or someone in his company. These were very consistent; and,
    > usable for almost anything. My one regret is that, in a moment of
    > weakness, I traded a pair of original U47s for the pair of U87s I now
    > have. The latter are truly amazing; but the former had more soul.
    >
    > My only concern for using any mics like this for piano tuning has to do
    > with the necessary proximity to the string. No matter how good they may
    > be, they're all too big. Thus, I am very enthusiastic about this
    > research; and am very interested in how things unfold.
    >
    > Please do let us know how go!
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    >
    > Kind regards.
    >
    > Horace
    >
    >
    >
    > On 1/4/2024 12:11 PM, Steven Norsworthy via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    >> Neumann 183's, I have them, they are flat to below 20 Hz.
    >>
    >>
    >> Talk to any recording engineer who specializes in piano. You get a different sound (spectra) at every little change of location.
    >>
    >>
    >> The sensor is consistent because it looks at what is happing at the string.
    >>
    >>
    >> ------------------------------
    >> Steven Norsworthy
    >> Cardiff By The Sea CA
    >> (619) 964-0101
    >> -------------------------------------------
    >> Original Message:
    >> Sent: 01-04-2024 10:11
    >> From: Parker Leigh
    >> Subject: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's
    >>
    >>
    >> Have you tried mics built for low frequency such as: sennheiser md421, Shure Beta or other kick drum mics?
    >>
    >> Have you tried Lace Alumitone 6 bass guitar pickups?
    >>
    >> /
    >>
    >>
    >> Parker Leigh RPT
    >> Winchester VA
    >> (540) 722-3865
    >>
    >> Original Message:
    >> Sent: 01-01-2024 01:06
    >> From: Steven Norsworthy
    >>
    >> Tuners generally agree with me that the benefits are significant for tuning accuracy using a string sensor in the upper register of the piano where 'acoustic false beats' are eliminated with the sensor vs the mic. However, astonishingly, there are huge variances tuning in the low register due to suppressed partials with the mic. These variances I show can be as much as 1 cent.I created a Youtube video and explanation and link below. Please watch and let me know what you think. By the way, I was very much surprised myself from this. Best regards, and Happy New Year! Respectfully yours,Steven NorsworthyJan 1, 2024
    >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCVVjcOg188
    >
    > Reply to Sender : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=49&MID=771527&SenderKey=847a0756-a9da-4759-81fc-0186de59d325
    >
    > Reply to Discussion : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=49&MID=771527
    >
    >
    >
    > You are subscribed to "CAUT" as horacegreeleypiano@sonic.net. To change your subscriptions, go to http://my.ptg.org/preferences?section=Subscriptions. To unsubscribe from this community discussion, go to http://my.ptg.org/HigherLogic/eGroups/Unsubscribe.aspx?UserKey=18d8c323-aa1d-4526-8bf1-a6805870cbe6&sKey=KeyRemoved&GroupKey=e03c48ae-bba7-4045-9d5f-c5e4b7b46b15.
    >

• 28.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-05-2024 20:13

Re. "I'm interested in the reductive analysis that establishes that the string makes no sound."

It might not be totally correct that the string makes no sound, but it makes very little. A tuning fork demonstrates that principle for you: thump it and hold it any significant distance from your ear, and you hear next to nothing. Touch the heel of the tuning fork to any object capable of responding to the tuning fork's transducer effect, the soundboard especially, and now the sound waves are coupled to the air via the vibrations of the membrane and the sound waves can be detected by your ears.

Ernest Unrau
    Morden MB

• 29.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-05-2024 22:36
    In order to make ‘sound’ you have to ‘move air’ and so the string by itself moves very little air. The soundboard moves orders of magnitude more air.

Think of the piano as a mechanical-to-acoustic transducer. It transforms mechanical vibration into acoustic waves.

Now think of a microphone as an acoustic-to-electrical transducer. It transforms acoustic waves into electrical signals.

Now think of the PianoSens device. It BYPASSES THE ACOUSTIC DOMAIN. It DIRECTLY transforms mechanical movement (string movement) into electrical signals.

Hence, there is no transformational loss. It is repeatable and accurate.

Think that the soundboard has an infinite number of acoustic responses depending on the position of the mic or the listener. PianoSens removes all that uncertainty. It takes an infinite number of possible transfer functions down into only ONE transfer function.

Try it and you will see. It is ‘invariant’ by design.

Steven Norsworthy

• 30.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-05-2024 22:55
    Hello, Steven,

Thoughts interspersed:

On 1/5/2024 7:36 PM, Steven Norsworthy via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    > In order to make ???sound??? you have to ???move air??? and so the string by itself moves very little air. The soundboard moves orders of magnitude more air.

Yes; but that's not what you originally wrote.

> Think of the piano as a mechanical-to-acoustic transducer. It transforms mechanical vibration into acoustic waves.
    >

Precisely.

> Now think of a microphone as an acoustic-to-electrical transducer. It transforms acoustic waves into electrical signals.
    >

Right.

> Now think of the PianoSens device. It BYPASSES THE ACOUSTIC DOMAIN. It DIRECTLY transforms mechanical movement (string movement) into electrical signals.
    >
    > Hence, there is no transformational loss. It is repeatable and accurate.
    >

Yes, as long as one is very clear that it is only reporting on that
    which it is picking up; an nothing else.

> Think that the soundboard has an infinite number of acoustic responses depending on the position of the mic or the listener. PianoSens removes all that uncertainty. It takes an infinite number of possible transfer functions down into only ONE transfer function.
    >

Exactly the problem.

In removing all other potential transfer functions, the s PianoSens
    device appears to remove the very transfer functions which are within
    the audible range usable to the human ear. That is, the transfer that
    it measures will definitionally be different from the sound of the same
    piano.

> Try it and you will see. It is ???invariant??? by design.

Indeed so. Is that how human beings listen to pianos?

More to follow.

>
    > Steven Norsworthy
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 1/5/2024 8:13:00 PM
    > From: Ernest Unrau
    >
    >
    > Re. "I'm interested in the reductive analysis that establishes that the string makes no sound."
    >
    >
    > It might not be totally correct that the string makes no sound, but it makes very little. A tuning fork demonstrates that principle for you: thump it and hold it any significant distance from your ear, and you hear next to nothing. Touch the heel of the tuning fork to any object capable of responding to the tuning fork's transducer effect, the soundboard especially, and now the sound waves are coupled to the air via the vibrations of the membrane and the sound waves can be detected by your ears.
    >
    >
    > Ernest Unrau
    > Morden MB
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 01-05-2024 00:37
    >
    > Hi, Steve,
    >
    > Let's stipulate that this is correct.
    >
    > I'm interested in the reductive analysis that establishes that the
    > string makes no sound.
    >
    > Kind regards.
    >
    > Horace
    >
    > On 1/4/2024 8:54 PM, Steven Norsworthy via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    >> Horace,
    >>
    >> It???s the soundboard that produces the acoustic wave, not the string. Therefore, proximity to the string is not important for the mic. It is critically important to the sensor, which does not ???hear??? anything acoustically. It only measures what is happening on the sting. The mic cannot do that. The string makes no sound!
    >>
    >> Best,
    >> Steve
    >>
    >> Original Message:
    >> Sent: 1/4/2024 11:42:00 PM
    >> From: Horace Greeley
    >> Subject: RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> While I generally prefer a larger diaphragm mic for piano the KM 183s,
    >> used well, can sound really good.
    >>
    >> I must admit that, while the Sennheiser MD421 doesn't do much for me as
    >> a piano mic. I know that they are used as such; and have seen that in a
    >> number of situations. Still, it's a dynamic mic, not a condensor.
    >> Also, it's range of 30Hz to 17KHz reflects the antiquity of its design.
    >> I don't think that it's a very good mic for low frequencies. Still,
    >> it does a number of things really well...drum sets, vocals, most winds,
    >> a number of others. I've even heard them used on Leslies. For those
    >> kinds of applications, they seem fine.
    >>
    >> The Sennheiser mics that I prefer for piano are the MKH 8020. Also
    >> omni. Like the Neumann KM 8x and KM 18x series, these mics are much
    >> more forgiving of the vagaries of recording a piano than are many others.
    >>
    >> In my own travels and the vagaries of our work, I've picked up small
    >> collection of mics from various makers. Each designer/maker seems to
    >> have a particular sound in their heads...perhaps in their sights.... I
    >> note that because I have listened to the mics that I own (including AEA,
    >> Neumann, Schoeps, Sennheiser) seem to have a "company sound" for lack of
    >> a better phrase. I found this particularly true as I gradually shifted
    >> my Neumann collection to ones that had been rebuilt/upgraded by Klaus
    >> Heyne, or someone in his company. These were very consistent; and,
    >> usable for almost anything. My one regret is that, in a moment of
    >> weakness, I traded a pair of original U47s for the pair of U87s I now
    >> have. The latter are truly amazing; but the former had more soul.
    >>
    >> My only concern for using any mics like this for piano tuning has to do
    >> with the necessary proximity to the string. No matter how good they may
    >> be, they're all too big. Thus, I am very enthusiastic about this
    >> research; and am very interested in how things unfold.
    >>
    >> Please do let us know how go!
    >>
    >> Thank you very much.
    >>
    >> Kind regards.
    >>
    >> Horace
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> On 1/4/2024 12:11 PM, Steven Norsworthy via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    >>> Neumann 183's, I have them, they are flat to below 20 Hz.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Talk to any recording engineer who specializes in piano. You get a different sound (spectra) at every little change of location.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> The sensor is consistent because it looks at what is happing at the string.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> ------------------------------
    >>> Steven Norsworthy
    >>> Cardiff By The Sea CA
    >>> (619) 964-0101
    >>> -------------------------------------------
    >>> Original Message:
    >>> Sent: 01-04-2024 10:11
    >>> From: Parker Leigh
    >>> Subject: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Have you tried mics built for low frequency such as: sennheiser md421, Shure Beta or other kick drum mics?
    >>>
    >>> Have you tried Lace Alumitone 6 bass guitar pickups?
    >>>
    >>> /
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Parker Leigh RPT
    >>> Winchester VA
    >>> (540) 722-3865
    >>>
    >>> Original Message:
    >>> Sent: 01-01-2024 01:06
    >>> From: Steven Norsworthy
    >>> Subject: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's
    >>>
    >>> Tuners generally agree with me that the benefits are significant for tuning accuracy using a string sensor in the upper register of the piano where 'acoustic false beats' are eliminated with the sensor vs the mic. However, astonishingly, there are huge variances tuning in the low register due to suppressed partials with the mic. These variances I show can be as much as 1 cent.I created a Youtube video and explanation and link below. Please watch and let me know what you think. By the way, I was very much surprised myself from this. Best regards, and Happy New Year! Respectfully yours,Steven NorsworthyJan 1, 2024
    >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCVVjcOg188 <https: www.youtube.com/watch?v="VCVVjcOg188">
    >>
    >> Reply to Sender : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=49&MID=771527&SenderKey=847a0756-a9da-4759-81fc-0186de59d325 <https: my.ptg.org/egroups/postreply/?groupid="49&MID=771527&SenderKey=847a0756-a9da-4759-81fc-0186de59d325">
    >>
    >> Reply to Discussion : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=49&MID=771527 <https: my.ptg.org/egroups/postreply/?groupid="49&MID=771527">
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> You are subscribed to "CAUT" as horacegreeleypiano@sonic.net <horacegreeleypiano@sonic.net>. To change your subscriptions, go to http://my.ptg.org/preferences?section=Subscriptions. <http: my.ptg.org/preferences?section="Subscriptions."> To unsubscribe from this community discussion, go to http://my.ptg.org/HigherLogic/eGroups/Unsubscribe.aspx?UserKey=18d8c323-aa1d-4526-8bf1-a6805870cbe6&sKey=KeyRemoved&GroupKey=e03c48ae-bba7-4045-9d5f-c5e4b7b46b15. <http: my.ptg.org/higherlogic/egroups/unsubscribe.aspx?userkey="18d8c323-aa1d-4526-8bf1-a6805870cbe6&sKey=KeyRemoved&GroupKey=e03c48ae-bba7-4045-9d5f-c5e4b7b46b15.">
    >>
    >
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 1/4/2024 11:55:00 PM
    > From: Steven Norsworthy
    >
    > Horace,
    >
    > It's the soundboard that produces the acoustic wave, not the string. Therefore, proximity to the string is not important for the mic. It is critically important to the sensor, which does not 'hear' anything acoustically. It only measures what is happening on the sting. The mic cannot do that. The string makes no sound!
    >
    > Best,
    > Steve
    >
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 1/4/2024 11:42:00 PM
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > While I generally prefer a larger diaphragm mic for piano the KM 183s,
    > used well, can sound really good.
    >
    > I must admit that, while the Sennheiser MD421 doesn't do much for me as
    > a piano mic. I know that they are used as such; and have seen that in a
    > number of situations. Still, it's a dynamic mic, not a condensor.
    > Also, it's range of 30Hz to 17KHz reflects the antiquity of its design.
    > I don't think that it's a very good mic for low frequencies. Still,
    > it does a number of things really well...drum sets, vocals, most winds,
    > a number of others. I've even heard them used on Leslies. For those
    > kinds of applications, they seem fine.
    >
    > The Sennheiser mics that I prefer for piano are the MKH 8020. Also
    > omni. Like the Neumann KM 8x and KM 18x series, these mics are much
    > more forgiving of the vagaries of recording a piano than are many others.
    >
    > In my own travels and the vagaries of our work, I've picked up small
    > collection of mics from various makers. Each designer/maker seems to
    > have a particular sound in their heads...perhaps in their sights.... I
    > note that because I have listened to the mics that I own (including AEA,
    > Neumann, Schoeps, Sennheiser) seem to have a "company sound" for lack of
    > a better phrase. I found this particularly true as I gradually shifted
    > my Neumann collection to ones that had been rebuilt/upgraded by Klaus
    > Heyne, or someone in his company. These were very consistent; and,
    > usable for almost anything. My one regret is that, in a moment of
    > weakness, I traded a pair of original U47s for the pair of U87s I now
    > have. The latter are truly amazing; but the former had more soul.
    >
    > My only concern for using any mics like this for piano tuning has to do
    > with the necessary proximity to the string. No matter how good they may
    > be, they're all too big. Thus, I am very enthusiastic about this
    > research; and am very interested in how things unfold.
    >
    > Please do let us know how go!
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    >
    > Kind regards.
    >
    > Horace
    >
    >
    >
    > On 1/4/2024 12:11 PM, Steven Norsworthy via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    >> Neumann 183's, I have them, they are flat to below 20 Hz.
    >>
    >>
    >> Talk to any recording engineer who specializes in piano. You get a different sound (spectra) at every little change of location.
    >>
    >>
    >> The sensor is consistent because it looks at what is happing at the string.
    >>
    >>
    >> Steven Norsworthy
    >> Cardiff By The Sea CA
    >> (619) 964-0101
    >> Original Message:
    >> Sent: 01-04-2024 10:11
    >> From: Parker Leigh
    >>
    >>
    >> Have you tried mics built for low frequency such as: sennheiser md421, Shure Beta or other kick drum mics?
    >>
    >> Have you tried Lace Alumitone 6 bass guitar pickups?
    >>
    >> /
    >>
    >>
    >> Parker Leigh RPT
    >> Winchester VA
    >> (540) 722-3865
    >>
    >> Original Message:
    >> Sent: 01-01-2024 01:06
    >> From: Steven Norsworthy
    >>
    >> Tuners generally agree with me that the benefits are significant for tuning accuracy using a string sensor in the upper register of the piano where 'acoustic false beats' are eliminated with the sensor vs the mic. However, astonishingly, there are huge variances tuning in the low register due to suppressed partials with the mic. These variances I show can be as much as 1 cent.I created a Youtube video and explanation and link below. Please watch and let me know what you think. By the way, I was very much surprised myself from this. Best regards, and Happy New Year! Respectfully yours,Steven NorsworthyJan 1, 2024
    >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCVVjcOg188
    >
    > Reply to Sender : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=49&MID=771554&SenderKey=847a0756-a9da-4759-81fc-0186de59d325
    >
    > Reply to Discussion : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=49&MID=771554
    >
    >
    >
    >

• 31.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-05-2024 23:32

There are an infinite number of ways a person 'listens' to piano, hence there is NO objective basis, no standard, no deterministic way to assess what is 'real.' What is 'real' is what is 'real' to that person at that position in space at that particular moment in time. So squishy, so subjective, so non-repeatable. What do you tune to? Answer: to that person's perception of their personal acoustic transfer function, which not only includes the physical position of their ears or the mic of that moment, but also their aural hearing transfer function that day and at that time also? Don't you get the whole point of using the sensor? Please forgive me. I am both a degreed engineer and a degreed musician and an experienced recording engineer, all of the above, I believe it is the role of the scientist in me to get to the root of the issue, and as a musician to know the aesthetic issues of perception. If you want to see a zoom presentation and research and signal processing examples, I am happy to provide if you want me to do the 'class' on zoom to your local PTG or to a group of a few people you put together. I am a 'good professor.' You will not be disappointed by my objectivity.

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 32.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-06-2024 00:11
    Hi, Steven,

It's all squishy. All of these perceptions are squishy by their nature,
    which is, in large part precisely because human perception is (so far)
    ineffable.

People go to art museums, ballets, concerts, listen to their audio
    systems (home theaters), read poetry, sit in the park; and any number of
    other artistic activities all accompanied only by their "wetware"; and
    the life experience which they bring with them. It's all squishy.

Aldous Huxley once captured the nature of the problem in an essay
    entitled: Music at Night:

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible
    is music."

I am not a degreed engineer, or a degreed musician. The degree that I
    have, but do not use, is in law. While I do not consider myself to be a
    recording engineer, much of my professional life has been involved in
    recording studios and situations; and I have done a modest amount,
    myself, thus, my collection of microphones.

At the same time, for over seventy years, I have attended, performed in,
    and prepared pianos for concerts (and recordings) in a fairly wide
    number of venues and situations. While I have, in all that time, seen
    many instances of folks sitting in audiences following scores, I have
    never seen anyone doing the same thing with any kind of tuning device
    other than their ears. Perhaps that will change.

While it is not in my purview to invite you to present, I will make sure
    that folks know of your offer; and encourage them to invite you.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards.

Horace

On 1/5/2024 8:32 PM, Steven Norsworthy via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    > There are an infinite number of ways a person 'listens' to piano, hence there is NO objective basis, no standard, no deterministic way to assess what is 'real.' What is 'real' is what is 'real' to that person at that position in space at that particular moment in time. So squishy, so subjective, so non-repeatable. What do you tune to? Answer: to that person's perception of their personal acoustic transfer function, which not only includes the physical position of their ears or the mic of that moment, but also their aural hearing transfer function that day and at that time also? Don't you get the whole point of using the sensor? Please forgive me. I am both a degreed engineer and a degreed musician and an experienced recording engineer, all of the above, I believe it is the role of the scientist in me to get to the root of the issue, and as a musician to know the aesthetic issues of perception. If you want to see a zoom presentation and research and signal processing exampl!
    es, I am
    > happy to provide if you want me to do the 'class' on zoom to your local PTG or to a group of a few people you put together. I am a 'good professor.' You will not be disappointed by my objectivity.
    >
    >
    > Steven Norsworthy
    > Cardiff By The Sea CA
    > (619) 964-0101
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 01-05-2024 22:55
    >
    > Hello, Steven,
    >
    > Thoughts interspersed:
    >
    > On 1/5/2024 7:36 PM, Steven Norsworthy via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    >> In order to make ???sound??? you have to ???move air??? and so the string by itself moves very little air. The soundboard moves orders of magnitude more air.
    >
    > Yes; but that's not what you originally wrote.
    >
    >> Think of the piano as a mechanical-to-acoustic transducer. It transforms mechanical vibration into acoustic waves.
    >>
    >
    > Precisely.
    >
    >> Now think of a microphone as an acoustic-to-electrical transducer. It transforms acoustic waves into electrical signals.
    >>
    >
    > Right.
    >
    >> Now think of the PianoSens device. It BYPASSES THE ACOUSTIC DOMAIN. It DIRECTLY transforms mechanical movement (string movement) into electrical signals.
    >>
    >> Hence, there is no transformational loss. It is repeatable and accurate.
    >>
    >
    > Yes, as long as one is very clear that it is only reporting on that
    > which it is picking up; an nothing else.
    >
    >> Think that the soundboard has an infinite number of acoustic responses depending on the position of the mic or the listener. PianoSens removes all that uncertainty. It takes an infinite number of possible transfer functions down into only ONE transfer function.
    >>
    >
    > Exactly the problem.
    >
    > In removing all other potential transfer functions, the s PianoSens
    > device appears to remove the very transfer functions which are within
    > the audible range usable to the human ear. That is, the transfer that
    > it measures will definitionally be different from the sound of the same
    > piano.
    >
    >> Try it and you will see. It is ???invariant??? by design.
    >
    > Indeed so. Is that how human beings listen to pianos?
    >
    > More to follow.
    >
    >
    >>
    >> Steven Norsworthy
    >>
    >> Original Message:
    >> Sent: 1/5/2024 8:13:00 PM
    >> From: Ernest Unrau
    >> Subject: RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's
    >>
    >>
    >> Re. "I'm interested in the reductive analysis that establishes that the string makes no sound."
    >>
    >>
    >> It might not be totally correct that the string makes no sound, but it makes very little. A tuning fork demonstrates that principle for you: thump it and hold it any significant distance from your ear, and you hear next to nothing. Touch the heel of the tuning fork to any object capable of responding to the tuning fork's transducer effect, the soundboard especially, and now the sound waves are coupled to the air via the vibrations of the membrane and the sound waves can be detected by your ears.
    >>
    >>
    >> Ernest Unrau
    >> Morden MB
    >> Original Message:
    >> Sent: 01-05-2024 00:37
    >> From: Horace Greeley
    >>
    >> Hi, Steve,
    >>
    >> Let's stipulate that this is correct.
    >>
    >> I'm interested in the reductive analysis that establishes that the
    >> string makes no sound.
    >>
    >> Kind regards.
    >>
    >> Horace
    >>
    >> On 1/4/2024 8:54 PM, Steven Norsworthy via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    >>> Horace,
    >>>
    >>> It???s the soundboard that produces the acoustic wave, not the string. Therefore, proximity to the string is not important for the mic. It is critically important to the sensor, which does not ???hear??? anything acoustically. It only measures what is happening on the sting. The mic cannot do that. The string makes no sound!
    >>>
    >>> Best,
    >>> Steve
    >>>
    >>> -------------------------------------------
    >>> Original Message:
    >>> Sent: 1/4/2024 11:42:00 PM
    >>> From: Horace Greeley
    >>> Subject: RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's
    >>>
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> While I generally prefer a larger diaphragm mic for piano the KM 183s,
    >>> used well, can sound really good.
    >>>
    >>> I must admit that, while the Sennheiser MD421 doesn't do much for me as
    >>> a piano mic. I know that they are used as such; and have seen that in a
    >>> number of situations. Still, it's a dynamic mic, not a condensor.
    >>> Also, it's range of 30Hz to 17KHz reflects the antiquity of its design.
    >>> I don't think that it's a very good mic for low frequencies. Still,
    >>> it does a number of things really well...drum sets, vocals, most winds,
    >>> a number of others. I've even heard them used on Leslies. For those
    >>> kinds of applications, they seem fine.
    >>>
    >>> The Sennheiser mics that I prefer for piano are the MKH 8020. Also
    >>> omni. Like the Neumann KM 8x and KM 18x series, these mics are much
    >>> more forgiving of the vagaries of recording a piano than are many others.
    >>>
    >>> In my own travels and the vagaries of our work, I've picked up small
    >>> collection of mics from various makers. Each designer/maker seems to
    >>> have a particular sound in their heads...perhaps in their sights.... I
    >>> note that because I have listened to the mics that I own (including AEA,
    >>> Neumann, Schoeps, Sennheiser) seem to have a "company sound" for lack of
    >>> a better phrase. I found this particularly true as I gradually shifted
    >>> my Neumann collection to ones that had been rebuilt/upgraded by Klaus
    >>> Heyne, or someone in his company. These were very consistent; and,
    >>> usable for almost anything. My one regret is that, in a moment of
    >>> weakness, I traded a pair of original U47s for the pair of U87s I now
    >>> have. The latter are truly amazing; but the former had more soul.
    >>>
    >>> My only concern for using any mics like this for piano tuning has to do
    >>> with the necessary proximity to the string. No matter how good they may
    >>> be, they're all too big. Thus, I am very enthusiastic about this
    >>> research; and am very interested in how things unfold.
    >>>
    >>> Please do let us know how go!
    >>>
    >>> Thank you very much.
    >>>
    >>> Kind regards.
    >>>
    >>> Horace
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> On 1/4/2024 12:11 PM, Steven Norsworthy via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    >>>> Neumann 183's, I have them, they are flat to below 20 Hz.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Talk to any recording engineer who specializes in piano. You get a different sound (spectra) at every little change of location.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> The sensor is consistent because it looks at what is happing at the string.
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> ------------------------------
    >>>> Steven Norsworthy
    >>>> Cardiff By The Sea CA
    >>>> (619) 964-0101
    >>>> -------------------------------------------
    >>>> Original Message:
    >>>> Sent: 01-04-2024 10:11
    >>>> From: Parker Leigh
    >>>> Subject: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Have you tried mics built for low frequency such as: sennheiser md421, Shure Beta or other kick drum mics?
    >>>>
    >>>> Have you tried Lace Alumitone 6 bass guitar pickups?
    >>>>
    >>>> /
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Parker Leigh RPT
    >>>> Winchester VA
    >>>> (540) 722-3865
    >>>>
    >>>> Original Message:
    >>>> Sent: 01-01-2024 01:06
    >>>> From: Steven Norsworthy
    >>>> Subject: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's
    >>>>
    >>>> Tuners generally agree with me that the benefits are significant for tuning accuracy using a string sensor in the upper register of the piano where 'acoustic false beats' are eliminated with the sensor vs the mic. However, astonishingly, there are huge variances tuning in the low register due to suppressed partials with the mic. These variances I show can be as much as 1 cent.I created a Youtube video and explanation and link below. Please watch and let me know what you think. By the way, I was very much surprised myself from this. Best regards, and Happy New Year! Respectfully yours,Steven NorsworthyJan 1, 2024
    >>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCVVjcOg188 <https: www.youtube.com/watch?v="VCVVjcOg188">
    >
    > Reply to Sender : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=49&MID=771559&SenderKey=847a0756-a9da-4759-81fc-0186de59d325
    >
    > Reply to Discussion : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=49&MID=771559
    >
    >
    >
    >

• 33.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-05-2024 20:16

Re. "I'm interested in the reductive analysis that establishes that the string makes no sound."

It might not be totally correct that the string makes no sound, but it makes very little. A tuning fork demonstrates that principle for you: thump it and hold it any significant distance from your ear, and you hear next to nothing. Touch the heel of the tuning fork to any object capable of responding to the tuning fork's transducer effect, the soundboard especially, and now the sound waves are coupled to the air via the vibrations of the membrane and the sound waves can be detected by your ears.

Ernest Unrau
    Morden MB

• 34.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-05-2024 21:05
    Hi,

Precisely my point.

Kind regards.

Horace

Original Message

• 35.  RE: Significant tuning errors in lower register with mic-based ETD's

Posted 01-05-2024 21:58

Ok, then perhaps I misunderstand the point of your post. Steve Norsworthy wrote,
    "It's the soundboard that produces the acoustic wave, not the string. Therefore, proximity to the string is not important for the mic. It is critically important to the sensor, which does not 'hear' anything acoustically. It only measures what is happening on the sting. The mic cannot do that. The string makes no sound!"

Are you saying you agree with that statement? Disagree? Why? Do you feel that measuring the string with the sensor doesn't fully reflect what we actually hear, given that our ears detect the sound waves emanating from the soundboard, and therefore "hear" the string only indirectly? I suppose it could be argued that we should be measuring what we hear, not what we don't hear. However, what we hear is the consequence of that which we don't hear.

p.s. - apologies for the double post earlier, but I don't find a way to delete one. I thought it wasn't linking to the Post I was replying to.

Ernest Unrau
    Morden MB