CAUT

• 1.  spraying Steinway plate lacquer

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 01-05-2024 10:43

Hell all,

I purchased a gallon of Steinway's plate lacquer from Wurdack, with the intention of getting better results than using spray cans.  A few months ago I tried spraying it but couldn't get a good result. I remember globs, not a smooth mist.  I'm not an expert with HVLP spraying, and my spray gun has only one aperture size.  I reached out to Wurdack asking for information about thinning, but never got a reply.  I'm assuming that my problem is either or both of those issues. Can anyone out there offer some advice on how to use this material?

Ken Walkup

• 2.  RE: spraying Steinway plate lacquer

Posted 01-05-2024 14:08

Was the lacquer described as ready to spray.  Many hvlp systems can only spray very thin material.  Be careful not to add too much powder to the thinned lacquer esp if you have a 1 mm or smaller tip.  If you are using an air based hvlp gun you need at least a 5 hp compressor.  If turbine at least a 3 stage 10 cfm output.  Use a viscosity cup to measure the thickness of the thinned lacquer before adding the powder.

------------------------------
    Parker Leigh RPT
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 3.  RE: spraying Steinway plate lacquer

Posted 01-05-2024 14:16
    This lacquer is premixed as far as the bronze powder is concerned, but I had to take a guess as to how much to thin it.  No instructions, and no response from Wurdack.  Can you advise about viscosity?
    Ken

• 4.  RE: spraying Steinway plate lacquer

Posted 01-05-2024 17:53

I have never had good results with premixed bronzing paint.  I would order bronzing powder from Steinway or Wurdack and then find a suitable

metal lacquer and prepare a thin mixture in small batches for immediate use. Be sure to use a strainer filter to pour into your spray cup.

Bronzing liquids tend to clump if left too long after mixing.  Bty what is your spray equipment?

Parker Leigh RPT
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 5.  RE: spraying Steinway plate lacquer

Posted 01-05-2024 18:03
    When bronzing powder was unavailable, I contacted the manufacturer. He was shocked when I told him how I was using it (mixing it in with lacquer on demand). Apparently it is supposed to be made in advance until it dissolves and blends with the medium.

As far as mixing, in the beginning I thought no more than 10% solvent, but I've seen experts use up to 60%. Just depends on flow.