CAUT

• 1.  S&S broken sostenuto tab spring

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 02-18-2023 12:53
      |   view attached

Greetings all,

While working in an S&S L from 1937 (T-nut lyre repair), I noticed a sad, drooping sostenuto tab right in the middle of the range. Any advice for repairing/installing a new spring? I'm not sure whether these parts are are glued or screwed in--didn't get that far into it on that visit because I had other stuff to do.

I haven't found parts at Steinway or the major suppliers. Does this mean I have to make my own spring?

My first thought at this point is to simply switch out the part with one from A0 or C88 if possible. Any other ideas?

------------------------------
    Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

• 2.  RE: S&S broken sostenuto tab spring

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 02-18-2023 13:05
    Hi Scott,

Almost every time I’ve seen this, the spring isn’t actually broken. It’s still there, just slipped out of place. If memory serves, while I’m on the road today, get a good light and look at the bass side of that damper block. It may be on the side, ready to slip back into place.

Kathy

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: S&S broken sostenuto tab spring

Posted 02-18-2023 16:35

Borrow it from the highest, last damper if it didnt slip out. There are no dampers at C8/note 88 and for a few notes below so I would think there are no sos tabs there either

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357