Pianotech

• 1.  Steinway 100 Vertical Restring

Posted 03-13-2024 09:27

A developing technician near me is revving up to restring his friend's 1964 Steinway 100, citing poor string rendering in tuning. I suspect that there might be some less-than-optimal design elements in this instrument that might be addressed during the process that might contribute to the solution even more than the restringing itself.  What do you recommend for the best outcome

------------------------------
    Floyd Gadd RPT
    Regina SK
    (306) 502-9103

• 2.  RE: Steinway 100 Vertical Restring

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 03-13-2024 22:13

Floyd,

I just restrung a 1941 Steinway "40". I had Gregor Heller redesign the bass strings using Paulello where optimal, I did not change any of the scaling parameters other than changing to Type 0 wire from the bass break up to halfway through #17 gauge, then the rest is IG.

So far there is a significant improvement in the piano. Still a tad weak right at the top of the bass, but better than it was previously. I will add riblets soon to calm the transition down. I expect it to come out surprisingly well. 

Oh yes  I almost forgot...the pressure bars were VERY rough on the business side. I spent some time on the deburring wheel polishing them out. The roughness was East/West which would easily explain rendering issues in these pianos. TBH, I was pretty shocked to find it this bad. Of course my polishing job went North/South to reduce any tendency toward resistance. Rendering is quite good now, but of course all is now new.  I also dressed the cast counter bearing bar on the plate. That one wasn't bad and cleaned up pretty quickly. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Steinway 100 Vertical Restring

Posted 03-15-2024 00:23

Floyd,

I don't know if you plan to measure the scale but if you do, I would love to have the original data. I remember trying to coach someone on setting a temperament on a Steinway console and it was terrible with regard to hearing beat rates in the temperament area.

Tremaine Parsons RPT
    Georgetown CA
    (530) 333-9299

• 4.  RE: Steinway 100 Vertical Restring

Posted 03-15-2024 09:44

Tremaine,

The SS model F scale console is one of the absolute worst pianos I've ever tried to tune. Whoever did it was a moron. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Steinway 100 Vertical Restring

Posted 03-15-2024 11:36

Peter (and Floyd), 

The data you sent me for your Model 40 indicates 34 bass notes putting your highest bass note at F#3. According to my ancient Steinway wire gauge list, the model 100 has has 2 less bass notes so E3 is the highest bass note. There is little doubt in my mind that the model 40 is the better scale provided the bichord bass notes tune well. I don't have many complete upright scales as they are far less likely to get restrung.

Tremaine Parsons RPT
    Georgetown CA
    (530) 333-9299

• 6.  RE: Steinway 100 Vertical Restring

Posted 03-15-2024 13:39

I will be strongly suggesting to colleague that he make a careful record of the existing string scale when he starts into the project.  I will be happy to forward to you any of this data that comes into my hands.

Floyd Gadd RPT
    Regina SK
    (306) 502-9103

• 7.  RE: Steinway 100 Vertical Restring

Posted 03-16-2024 12:05

Tremaine, 

The top two wound bichords are in the tenor. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com