CAUT

• 1.  Steinway B top section stability

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 01-30-2024 10:18

Hello, all. I tuned a 26 year old model B S&S this morning and found that the top section was about 10c flat. The rest of the piano was close. Last tuning was in October. Pins do not feel overly loose. No issues with bridge or soundboard. Hammers are a little worn but not bad. A few strings had been replaced before I came and one broke during the tuning in October. The building has very stable climate control. I have plans to re-string the top section and dress the capo, but that is on the back burner for now. Any thoughts on what else might be going on here?

TIA - Dave

------------------------------
    Dave Conte, RPT

Piano Technician in Residence
    The University of Tennessee
    College of Music
    Knoxville TN
    (817) 307-5656
    Owner: Rocky Top Piano

• 2.  RE: Steinway B top section stability

Posted 01-30-2024 10:29
    Dave

Did you tune it in October?  10 cents flat is not a concern, especially considering the extreme weather we've had since then. If the problem persists, and you find the top section flat again in May or June, then you might have a problem. But for now, even though there is adequate climate control in the room, I would contribute the change to the weather.

Wim

• 3.  RE: Steinway B top section stability

Posted 01-30-2024 11:58
    Thanks, Wim.

Normally, that would make sense, but not in this case. The rest of the piano was quite close, 
    with only the entire top section being out. ~10 cents is huge in these studios, but I don't think it's environmental. 
    None of the pianos in adjacent rooms have behaved this way. 

I have a suspicion that it is related to what's going on with the string breakage. Most of our B's are around 12 years old.
    This one is a 1998 build. I don't know how the pianos were taken care of before I got here and prior to the new Music Center
    in 2013. 

But thanks for your suggestion. I'll see if I can get a temp/RH report from facilities, but I don't expect to see 
    much deviation. We get alerts when RH is <50% and >40%. I have received none. 

Dave

• 4.  RE: Steinway B top section stability

Posted 01-30-2024 12:50
    It's common for those to have excessive downbearing up there. So movement of the board is uneven during changes of humidity.

-chris

• 5.  RE: Steinway B top section stability

Posted 01-30-2024 15:13
    Dave

It doesn't take much change in humidity to affect the top octaves. I've had 2 pianos, both Yamaha's, sitting next to each other in the same room, that went out of tune differently. 

Wim

• 6.  RE: Steinway B top section stability

Posted 01-30-2024 15:23
    The plain fact is that we know next to nothing about what causes the vagaries of pitch change in different sections of the piano, other than the connection with tension (low tenor moves the most due to its low tension relative to breaking point). I have run across lots of unexplained, unexpected anomalies over the years. 

Recently it has been major changes in bass monochord sections compared to other sections. This is in high quality, well maintained instruments. Makes no sense to me. 
    Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    http://fredsturm.net
    www.artoftuning.com
    "One's real life is so often the life that one does not lead" (Oscar Wilde)

• 7.  RE: Steinway B top section stability

Posted 01-30-2024 15:32
    To go one step further, I just tuned the D in one of our recital halls. (It was last tune 2 weeks ago, and someone had ripped out the chord to the Humidistat, leaving the DC's unplugged for about a week). I use a SATIV. I checked F3, and it was right on. I moved to F#3, and the lights moved slowly to the left.  G3 was right on, G#3 was right on. A3 moved slowly to the right. And so forth. Why?

Wim

• 8.  RE: Steinway B top section stability

Posted 01-30-2024 23:55

Do yourself a favor and purchase a few data loggers to collect the temp and r/h at the piano. You need to collect readings over a period of time 24 x 7  at least a week. You will be surprised what graphs show happens in the middle of the night, over weekends and at odd hours. A facility wide report is useless as are one off readings at the time of a tuning. The exception is if things are going on when you are there such as the ac is down, heat is on or there are heavy rains. 

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 9.  RE: Steinway B top section stability

Posted 01-31-2024 07:43
    James.

Thank you for the suggestion. I do have data loggers in many of our critical
    locations and in an older building where we have several pianos. A reminder
    to place one in the room in question is appreciated.

While loggers are not always perfectly in sync with readings I get from facilities equipment,
    they are always very close. I also only get their alerts when the RH is outside of
    my specified range and when it returns. The building is fairly new with modern 
    equipment, and the room is in the middle of a row of studios, so confidence in the
    readings is high. I haven't received facilities alerts from that area of the building 
    even as I have reviewed my emails from over the winter break. 

Best,

Dave

-

• 10.  RE: Steinway B top section stability

Posted 02-01-2024 17:38

I have been using LASCAR USB loggers with lots of success. However I was given the job to keep and maintain a Yamaha C3 in a small chapel in a local fishing village. Built in 1849 the Chapel has historical significance but the environment is rough. Since the day it was delivered it has had a 100% wool string cover by Dawson and on July 4th I installed a full Dampp Chaser. Despite sky high humidity and temps this summer the piano has been incredibly stable . I temporarily leased a remote monitor used in the flooring industry. This gave me constant remote readings . Since the piano is 50 miles away I would email or text one of the pianists who would contact a church member to go adjust the thermostat. I am hoping to get the support to purchase some full time de-humidifiers with pumps and drain hoses

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357