CAUT

• 1.  Steinway D casters

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 12-09-2022 08:39
    Hi, all.

Does anyone know how to remove and disassemble Steinway New York D locking casters so I can service the bearings?

TIA

Dave

------------------------------
    Dave Conte, RPT

Resident Technician
    The University of Tennessee
    Knoxville TN
    (817) 307-5656
    Owner: Rocky Top Piano

• 2.  RE: Steinway D casters

Posted 12-09-2022 12:36
    Hi, Dave,

I’ve done a lot of work on the large brass concert casters. I have some photos, including a picture of one all torn apart and laid out. I’d be happy to share those with you, offline or online.

If you haven’t taken one off the piano yet, you may not have seen the stem and socket situation. You’ll see that the stem of the caster is threaded at the top, and it turns into matching threads on the inside of the socket. Both the caster and the sockets have flanges which come together when it’s in place, and you’ll see that the bottom/outside flange, for the caster, has two slots in the perimeter. A special spanner tool (which I obtained from Yamaha, or you can make one) makes that easiest, if they’re locked together rightly. If it’s already a bit loose, as is shockingly common on concert pianos, you could spin it off with your fingers.

Let me know if you want the photos. I sold a spare socket to a technician (not piano technician) at Rice in Texas. He had sent his caster to their pretty professional experimental lab which had metal-working capabilities. His repair included some milling and fashioning of a new “brake” material, and he said the average person would NOT want to disassemble one of those.

Just curious, what is making you feel like the bearings need service?

Kathy

• 3.  RE: Steinway D casters

Posted 12-09-2022 14:19
    Dave, I had to do some rather time-consuming work on a set of these giant casters on a D in the choir hall at Texas Tech. But it was a lot of corrosion and damage to the casters themselves. (Mopping crew was super sloppy it turned out-used cleaning acid on the floors routinely…took us forever to figure out why. 😖😖😖). So I never have to actually disassemble one. But I remember thinking that I would sure have to think twice if that were a need. So I'm also curious why you need to. What are the symptoms/issues?

Kevin Fortenberry
    Longview, TX 75602
    806-778-3962

• 4.  RE: Steinway D casters

Posted 02-04-2023 20:24
    I would really appreciate the photos you have to share, Kathy. My email is in my signature if you can email them to me?

Thanks!!

John Minor
    The Piano Shop Inc
    Champaign IL
    thepianoshopcu@gmail.com
    www.thepianoshopcu.com

• 5.  RE: Steinway D casters

Posted 02-04-2023 21:22
    Will do, John, it may take me a day or two.

Kathy

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: Steinway D casters

Posted 02-11-2023 18:02

Great info and post. A few years ago at Texas Tech Music-3 of these casters on the Choir Hall St D began to "corrode" and look pretty horrible. They never stopped functioning, however, so we ordered ONE new one (about 900.00 at the time) and I replaced the front treble being the worst & most visible one. Then I was able to remove all the hair, etc-and took my time sanding, scrubbing, etc in my shop clamped in a vise-then polished & clear coated the casters. Then replaced the next one with that one and so forth. Then we had a back-up one if one ever failed in the future. I really considered trying to disassemble one of these and even after having been a professional auto mechanic for nearly 10 years before…these seem SUPER difficult to repair. Which confirms what you describe. 
    BTW, it turned out the maintenance folks were getting carried away when stripping the floors every semester, which was of course causing all the corrosion issues. Admins "took care of it" and the problem seemed fixed.
    We had TWO of these pianos so we thought it wise to have a back-up.
    LASTLY…I began putting signage right on the inside of the legs (away from the audience) saying, "DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN!!! These only need to be snug" 

Kevin Fortenberry
    Longview, TX 75602
    806-778-3962

• 7.  RE: Steinway D casters

Posted 02-11-2023 15:48

Hi Kathy,

Would you please send me photos? I have recently taken on a Hamburg whose casters don't quite lock. Would like to see in advance what I'd be getting into.

Fred Sturm
    University of New Mexico
    fssturm@unm.edu
    http://fredsturm.net
    http://www.artoftuning.com
    "We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same." - Carlos Casteneda

• 8.  RE: Steinway D casters

Posted 02-11-2023 16:44
    Hi, Fred,

Enough people have asked for that photo that I will try to add it here. (I've been known to fail at that, so I'll give it a try.)

To reiterate, I did not take the photo. It was taken by a tech (not piano tech) at Rice, who contacted me because his failing caster also had a cracked socket and I had a spare. (Our communications occurred a week after Dean Shank had passed away). 

In his words, he sent the casters to the "campus research machine shop" where they pulled one apart and he took the photo. He later annotated the photo. In the long run, he said he didn't think it would be worth most people trying to take one apart.

He said: "The round cap on the end of the axle is threaded and can be removed with padded-jaw pliers, though we milled a flat on one to remove it with a wrench. The problem is that the brake rings are stripped. We will put Helicoil in the hole and re-tap the threads. The tightening shaft threads here are quite solid. Also, the brake 'drum' material is a kind of a hard plastic that gets worn, and the inner ring of the wheels gets grooved. We will smooth that out and either replace or shim the brake 'drum' material. We will also clan and lubricate the bearings, which appear to be in good shape but are dry."

They later took off another caster and found that the shaft was slightly bent though the socket was intact. Their shop straightened that shaft and put that one back together.

If anyone pulls one apart in a piano-tech level shop and has success, it would be good to add photos or procedures to the group knowledge base. Those casters are pretty expensive and sometimes hard to wait for. 

In several cases, casters that fail to lock well (rolling when locked but otherwise safe) were used for a few more years by using 1/8' black cord, which is everywhere around a stage. You can use a piece 8-12" long and just wrap it around the contact point where the brass caster wheel meets the floor. It is surprising effective because the caster won't get rolling if it can't get started, and it's cheap, and invisible from the audience.

In addition, I spend a lot of time explaining to crew that "snug is good, tight is bad" when locking these casters.

Kathy

• 9.  RE: Steinway D casters

Posted 02-11-2023 17:48

Thanks, Kathy, that is very helpful.

In my case, a visiting show (Mark Morris Dance) complained about the casters being loose and making noise when the pit moved. They resolved it using cord as you described, but the bug is planted with the technical staff that maybe the casters need to be replaced or serviced. I mentioned it would be quite expensive.

It looks like the brake ring tightens around flanges in the two wheels, and that eventually the "teflon brake drum" (as labeled in the photo, the lining on the inner surface of the "center brake ring") would wear through, especially if the piano were pushed around with the wheels not quite locked. Once the teflon padding wore through enough, the "center brake ring" would be completely closed (incapable of further tightening). Hence, tight enough that it won't go rolling off, but not really snug, which describes my situation.

It looks like the real challenge (once the puzzle of getting it screwed out of the socket had been solved) would be removing the axle, whose end nuts aren't made for unscrewing. Then, once apart, would one be able to procure replacement parts? Presumably in my case the needed replacement part would be the center brake drum with teflon attached. 

It all seems theoretically doable, assuming parts could be had and would fit on casters 20 years old (ie, the design hasn't changed in the meantime), but the logistics of having all the casters off the piano would be quite a challenge, especially since the piano is an hour away. Having resolved that problem, taken apart the casters, and finding that in fact the new part doesn't fit, we'd be in a big mess. (If it were at the university and I was working there, I might be able to figure things out, doing one at a time).

If they follow through, I'll tell them we need to order new casters. If they do, I can take one home and have fun with it :-) 

Fred Sturm
    University of New Mexico
    fssturm@unm.edu
    http://fredsturm.net
    http://www.artoftuning.com
    "We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same." - Carlos Casteneda