CAUT

• 1.  Steinway model B hard touch

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 10-07-2022 08:17
    Working on an older Steinway B. The h/s/f and reps were replaced with Renner parts. Hammers have been filed down too far. Hard bump when rep contacts drop and letoff is good (almost simultaneous but about 1/16" drop). Bump is quite noticeable. Replaced knuckle on sample C4. Cycled through regulating the spring and balancier height again. Lubricated rep, knuckle and letoff button. Only slight improvement. Bump is audible. Balance hole is fairly snug with only very minimal chucking to account for some of the noise but most seems to be coming from the other parts when encountering drop screw. Have new SS hammer heads to install when this problem is resolved. New knuckles also, but the core is .005" undersize and fit is loose. Any thoughts would be appreciated. TIA.

Dave

------------------------------
    Dave Conte

University of Tennessee
    Knoxville TN
    (817) 307-5656
    Owner: Rocky Top Piano

• 2.  RE: Steinway model B hard touch

Posted 10-07-2022 10:49
    What do you mean by knuckle being undersize and loose fit ?  If the hammers have been filed down too far put some new hammer heads on samples, re-set blow, letoff, drop and backchecks etc .  The rep springs may be too strong at present but I would also check friction on the rep lever, jack, rep flanges and get the correct knuckles. It sounds like all of the action geometry is off including action spread. You have to get some samples to work. LaRoy Edwards said you get one note perfect then duplicate that 87 more times

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 3.  RE: Steinway model B hard touch

Posted 10-07-2022 11:09
    James, 

Thanks for your reply.

I actually said the core was undersize. The wood that goes into the slot in the shank.

Can't do anything about the spread. This is a Steinway. 

As I said, the hammers are being replaced. Not until I figure out the cause of the
    hard bump and the noise. I understand that regulation will change the geometric relationships, 
    but not by enough to account for what is happening here. The regulation overall is good.
    Spring tension changes along with the humidity, it's dynamic. I did back off the springs, but that made little difference. All of this was explained in the post. Hammer blow is not much of a factor
    on the bench. Everything should work if within a range, which this is. 

I loved the way LaRoy taught and learned a great deal from him. We had
    many long conversations over the years. I miss him greatly. 

Best,

Dave

--

• 4.  RE: Steinway model B hard touch

Posted 10-07-2022 12:18
    What year is the piano ? How is the wear on the whippen leather and the jack regulating button and rep lever felt button ? are jacks lined up with the knuckles ? how is the key height, key dip, aftertouch ? keyframe bedding ?  Does it have the accelerated action ? what shape are the letoff buttons in

James Kelly
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 5.  RE: Steinway model B hard touch

Posted 10-07-2022 13:45
    Piano is 68 years old, but  new Renner reps and h/s/f were installed by a predecessor. 
    Probably about 2008. He kept no records. I can see that the capstans were polished but
    the flange rail cloth was not replaced and is tattered. The key mortices were refurbished
    but the balance holes were not addressed, or at least not well done. Hard to tell what
    his methodology was. My task is just to fix the piano. 

It is an NY model B, so yes to accelerated action. Correct parts were used, so 
    alignment of jacks, rep cushions, etc. is not an issue. Key height and bedding were
    already addressed when I regulated last year. This issue existed, but the retired professor
    who had it did not mind the touch and in fact loved the piano. But he is retired and we must keep using it and it's a huge issue for everyone else. The biggest complaint came from the Assistant Director who is herself an accomplished pianist. The piano was moved to two different rehearsal spaces because of it. 

The letoff buttons nor cloth were not replaced. Probably a contributing factor, but minor.

The biggest issue is just that there is such a noticeable bump and noise when
    the reps contact the drop screw. making it hard to push through letoff, especially
    when playing piano or pianissimo. 

Dave

• 6.  RE: Steinway model B hard touch

Posted 10-07-2022 16:16
    Hi Dave,

I don't know what the problem is, but if there's a hard bump at let-off, I would first look to see where left-off occurs in relation to the straight line between the wippen flange center and the hammer flange center. All modern-style actions should escape somewhere under that line. But the closer you could get to that line, the smoother the escapement. What affects that is the hammer bore and knuckle size. Hammershanks that over-center tend to have smoother escapement. 

So, if the key-bed to string height is less than normal, combined with parts that may have a large knuckle or a knuckle located in a different spot than the original design, then that might explain the issue. 

Just thinking...

Rick Butler RPT
    The Butler School of Piano Technology
    Bowie MD
    240 396 7480
    RickRickRickRickRick

• 7.  RE: Steinway model B hard touch

Posted 10-07-2022 17:47
    That places the piano from 1954. It's possible that, sometime within the past seven decades, something has changed and the action spread is no longer correct. I'd put everything into a program like Nick's Action Geometry and see what it finds. You might be surprised. 

If everything comes back normal, it might be a problem with the let-off felt, or with the knuckles. I'd be somewhat surprised if Renner knuckles from 2008 started having issues this soon, but at this point it's not something I'd automatically rule out.

Benjamin Sanchez, RPT
    Piano Technician / Artisan
    (256) 947-9999
    www.professional-piano-services.com

• 8.  RE: Steinway model B hard touch

Posted 10-08-2022 20:29

Hi Dave,

I like what Rick Butler suggested. We often overlook the impact of hammer bore and knuckle diameter and placement as to their effect on the quality of aftertouch. Shorter bores are more efficient and shorter knuckle placement makes for a snappier feel as I was just reminded from rereading Nick Gravagne's action series. However, these are feeling symptoms whereas you are emphasizing the noise around drop. Just spitballing here, but here's what comes to my deluded mind on a Saturday morning:

1. Check the condition of the ecsaine on both the balancier and the knuckle. Replace the perishable materials on one sample or swap out for a part that you know is quiet.
    2. Check to make sure the drop screws are tight. Maybe try a little glue sizing or a drop of Profelt.
    3. I'm sure you would have seen this, but make sure the balancier isn't ever so slightly brushing up against the hammer rail due to a compressed spread. If you need to widen the spread and you cannot replace the stack or rails, you can shim out the top of the rep flange with traveling tape or even piano wire in extreme cases.
    4. Double check for noise at the jack and balancier regulating buttons which can present as noise in other areas. Pinning and spring tension of course too as already suggested. A drop of snuggles and alcohol will temporarily quiet down the felt regulating buttons, but it won't last.
    5. Sometimes one of those mechanic stethoscopes can be useful for troubleshooting clicks and such, but I have definitely had cases that remained elusive.

That's all I've got at the moment, but good luck. If all else fails, remind your client that the piano is a percussion instrument and they are very lucky to own a Steinway with the upgraded clave and woodblock accompaniment feature.

Cheers,

Jude Reveley, RPT
    President
    Absolute Piano Restoration, Inc.
    Lowell, Massachusetts
    978-323-4545
    www.absolute-piano.com

• 9.  RE: Steinway model B hard touch

Posted 10-08-2022 23:53
    I forget the details and will need to dig through my notes but I recall a Steinway that had some issue with the little half mounds used in the accelerated action . I think it was a noise issue Several techs gave me advice about how to refurbish or replace the part. There also were a few things wrong with the action including whippen flanges full of verdigris. The piano came here from  the West Coast and I recall that there was a ton of white powder in it. It was not teflon or drugs but unscented baby powder. There was someone out there that was famous for putting powder in the action to make it play easier

James Kelly
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357