Pianotech

• 1.  String scale for Samick piano

Posted 03-21-2023 22:53

Hi, folks.

A customer has a missing bass string (E1) on a Samick SU-143 F upright, and the tuner who took it years ago (unsurprisingly) doesn't seem to have it.

Does anyone happen to have the scale for this model? 

------------------------------
    Joshua Dellinger
    Catawba Valley Piano Services
    Maiden, NC
    (828) 705-1732
    cvpianoservices@gmail.com

• 2.  RE: String scale for Samick piano

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 03-21-2023 23:42

If you don't find anyone with the scale, try contacting Samick Music.  They may have replacements.  Or call Mapes and see if they have it.  Or you'll just have to measure the strings on either side, plus the length(s) of the string you need (pressure bar to bridge pin, hitch to bridge pin, pressure bar to hitch, etc.)  Then call Mapes.  They'll figure out what you need.  I carry universal strings for these kinds of situations.

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: String scale for Samick piano

Posted 03-22-2023 06:59
    Regarding universal bass strings. when I was in Hawaii I carried a 3 of each size of a complete set of universal strings from Schaff in my car. Because of the constant high humidity and salt air, there were LOTS of rusty strings and I had to replace bass and treble strings constantly. 

For high quality grands I would order a replacement from Schaff, but for most pianos I used a universal, for no other reason than it not only took up to two weeks to get a replacement from Schaff, but it cost twice as much due to the shipping fee. 

Wim

• 4.  RE: String scale for Samick piano

Posted 03-23-2023 00:43

I have replaced vast numbers of borken bass string with universals; ordering an authentic replacement (that might not sound as good as the original anyway) has always been to time consuming and expensive.

One trick I have used is to replace the string with a thicker size.  I usually measure the next string down and put in that thicker sized universal.  The tonal match is much better and there is seldom a problem with breakage.

Another interesting fact; I kept all of my universal tags for several years.  Eventually I counted them up and put it onto a spreadsheet.  The results were interesting.  Most of the strings were smaller sizes; the strings most likely to break were at the tenor/bass break.

And another interesting fact: I cannot recall the last time I replaced a broken bass string.  I once replaced them quite regularly, in recent years I see few. It might be because of my woundrous abilities, but a more likely cause is that bad wire and bad scaled pianos have gradually dissappeared from the field.  Poor wire, bad scaling and problematic pianos are likely being sent to their appropriate homes in the dumps.

Blaine Hebert RPT
    Duarte CA
    (626) 795-5170