Pianotech

• 1.  Stringing scale for 1922 Behr Brothers studio upright

Posted 01-13-2023 19:04
    I have been working on rebuilding a handsome (quartersawn oak veneer) 1922 Behr Bros & Co.  studio (47") upright piano. The action seems very sound, the soundboard seems in excellent shape, and the original ivories are near perfect. So, I have decided to replace all of the strings. I've already ordered and received the bass strings from Arledge.

Does anyone out there have a stringing scale chart for this (or very similar) piano? Or will I need to pull off the strings individually, measure their diameters, record them, and replace to match?

Dave Hankin
    Redwood Chapter
    Arcata, CA

• 2.  RE: Stringing scale for 1922 Behr Brothers studio upright

Posted 01-13-2023 19:15
    I consider it standard procedure to measure and record what is in the piano as I am unstringing.   Looking through Travis's Guide to Restringing, at seems apparent to me that manufacturers were quite willing to change specs over the period during which a given model was produced .

------------------------------
    Floyd Gadd RPT
    Regina SK
    (306) 502-9103
    ------------------------------

• 3.  RE: Stringing scale for 1922 Behr Brothers studio upright

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 01-13-2023 19:38
    David

Unless you find a scale written down in book, you should always measure the scale yourself before taking the strings off the piano. 

• 4.  RE: Stringing scale for 1922 Behr Brothers studio upright

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 01-14-2023 12:46
    Hi David, I'm getting ready to restore probably almost the same upright for a customer.  Start by measuring all the strings to give you good idea of what the piano had and  as well measure the string lengths.   The scale can most likely be improved.  You could talk to Arledge about that. 
    -Matt Crudo, RPT 

• 5.  RE: Stringing scale for 1922 Behr Brothers studio upright

Posted 01-14-2023 13:59
    Thanks for the suggestion, Matt.

I will measure the string lengths and diameters, as suggested by others, and will then try to determine if there are improvements that might be made. I have been hesitant to just "reproduce" what was previously done because the most recent restringing might not have matched the original design. That was why I posted the query asking if anyone might have a stringing scale for this instrument:)

I would enjoy learning how your own restoration of a similar piano works out.

Dave