Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

• 1.  Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 13 days ago

As you know in a piano the strings, from the agraffes to the pinblock, are not parallel to the floor, they don't go downwards, but they rise upwards (the opposite of violin or a guitar etc), so I wonder why not to try a pinblock lower than the agraffes, changing strings angle like in any other string instrument? Cristofori tried but he didn't use agraffes to stop the vertical blow from the hammers. So what would happen today with agraffe stopping that upwards hammer blow? I see only benefits: 1) No need to worry about lack of downbearing, bridge and strings will always have a good contact, and probably no bridge pins are needed. 2) No need to worry about capo bar. 3) No need to worry about coils number in the tuning pins. 4) No need to worry about the wedge falling from the horn when detuning. So, why has never been done?

------------------------------
    Hey There

• 2.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 13 days ago
    "As you know in a piano the strings, from the agraffes to the pinblock, are not parallel to the floor, they don't go downwards, but they rise upwards (the opposite of violin or a guitar etc),"

This is your first mistaken assumption. The strings of a piano, between the agraff and the bridge, do rise up, the same as a guitar or violin. That's how the strings get down bearing. There has to be upward pressure on the Vbar and the agraff to maintain the down bearing on the bridge. 

If the pinblock was below the agraff, which would make the strings come out of the bottom of the agraff holes, the strings will literally bounce off the bottom of the hole, creating false beats. 

• 3.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 13 days ago

"This is your first mistaken assumption. The strings of a piano, between the agraff and the bridge, do rise up"

Hi Wim, I am talking only from agraffe to tunng pins. Not from bridge to agraffe. If the strings are bouncing inside the agraffe hole, I think it depends on the height of the agraffes. In todays piano, do the strings inside the agraffe have any bouncing problem? Do they come off the top of the agraffe in todays pianos? No, so if the tuning pins were lower than agraffes, why do you think the strings can come off the bottom of the agraffe?

Hey There

• 4.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 13 days ago
    Because the initial contact of the strings is an upwards blow of the hammer, there is a lot more energy in the string to make it bounce off the bottom of the agraff hole. 

• 5.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 13 days ago

The violin has horizontal tuning pegs. The piano has vertical tuning pins. If the tuning pins sat lower than the agraffe, there would be upward pressure on the coil. If you have not worked with piano wire, it is far more rigid than string instruments and would be a disaster as the wire would want to overlap on the coil. As with the observation I made in your post about upbearing, as the piano is designed to not put stress on glue joints, the tuning pin is also designed to have downward pressure which is more stable. Lastly, as Wim pointed out, the hammers put upward pressure on the strings. The string contacts the agraffe at the top of the hole, not the bottom. This stabilizes the string in multiple ways, first the string has nowhere to go when the hammer strikes from underneath. Second, this point of friction allows for slightly higher string tension on the non speaking length between the agraffe and tuning pin, which allows the instrument to hold its pitch after a hard blow and the speaking length increases tension.

Tim Foster RPT
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074

• 6.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 13 days ago

I still don't understand what the problem are. An electric bass or electric guitar has vertical pins, and has no problem with upwards pressure on the coil. or glue joints.If you use agraffes the string has nowhere to go when the hammer strikes from underneath, this happen in both cases. I'll make a drawing to show what I mean.

Hugh Trott
    musician
    No affiliations

• 7.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 13 days ago

There is 30,000 lbs of string tension in a piano. Wires are much thicker under far more tension. Wires have up pressure from hammers. The comparison is apples to oranges at best.

Tim Foster RPT
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074

• 8.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 13 days ago

And yet early piano and harpsichords were all built that way, but without agraffes.

Hugh Trott
    musician
    No affiliations

• 9.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 13 days ago
    Hpe you can see it. The string, from the nut to the tuning pin, is going downwards, but immediately after the nut, there is the agraffe pulling the string down, so the hammer blow won't cause any problem.

Hugh Trott
    musician
    No affiliations

• 10.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 13 days ago
    Why have an agraff?  Why not just have the strong go over the nut?  
    If you did have an agraff, and the string needs to go over the nut, it creates another bearing point. or pressure point.  

But in either case, the hammer blow from underneath would make the string jump up off the nut. (On a violin, the string is set in motion with the bow pressing down on the string). 

• 11.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 13 days ago

There is also another possibility, all patent free. In this case the string goes down from the nut to the tuning pin, but between the bridge and the nut there is the agraffe pulling the string down. Here, exaggerating the angles:

Hugh Trott
    musician
    No affiliations

• 12.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 13 days ago
    Here you again have two deflections of the string. And you wind up with the string coming out of the agraff on the top, which it does now. So why have the nut?  Just to have the pin block below the level of the strings?  Doesn't make sense. 

• 13.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 13 days ago

I don't really like the angle of the tuning pin, it would sit more shallowly in the surface of the pinblock, the coil would be angled, so to clear the plate it would have to be either a much longer pin or set at a shallower depth. Besides these things, what would the advantage be? All that friction looks like it would be very difficult to tune.

In reply to post 8, both harpsichord and early pianos had no plate, and therefore much lower tension. I don't think you're giving adequate thought to the enormous tension in modern pianos.

Lastly, I'm all into improving the piano's design of a better alternative is found. I'm curious, are you trying to build a piano from scratch, or just curious about the design? 

Tim Foster RPT
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074

• 14.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 13 days ago

I am trying to collect as much informations as possible, because maybe in the future I will build my own piano step by step. So maybe there is no advantage in this strings angle. Certainly I am curious about the answers I get here. The early pianos had no iron plate, of course I know that, but it just reinforces my theory that the strings tension is not a problem if you change the angle. I mean, the early pianos worked quite well despite not having any iron plate and agraffes.

Hugh Trott
    musician
    No affiliations

• 15.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 13 days ago

The oldsters among us (I'm 72) still believe in reading books for information. Get a copy of Samuel Wolfenden's "A Treatise on the Art of Piano Forte Construction." And more recently, Mario Igrec's "Piano Inside Out" may answer some of your questions. A few years ago Del Fandrich revised a symposium of piano makers originally published in the early 1900s (available through the PTG's book store I believe). I think Del is planning a publication on piano scale design in the near future. Fred Sturm's translation of Montal's book may be interesting to you as well. 

Patrick Draine RPT
    Billerica MA
    (978) 663-9690

• 16.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 13 days ago

Hugh,

My question would be: What significant improvement might be realized by this kind of modification, and would it be truly worth the effort of completely redesigning a line of pianos?

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 17.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago

This may be possible with a Screw Stringer a la M&H. Otherwise I don't see how you're going to get the action in.

Larry Messerly, RPT
    Bringing Harmony to Homes
    www.lacrossepianotuning.com
    ljmesserly@gmail.com
    928-899-7292

• 18.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago

Good question, if you lower the hitch pin side a few mm down, then you can raise also the pinblock a few mm up, without changing strings angle..

Hugh Trott
    musician
    No affiliations

• 19.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago
    The height of an action is about 8" from the keybed. Start with that as the bottom of the pinblock and go from there. 

• 20.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago

yep

Hugh Trott
    musician
    No affiliations

• 21.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago

I would think that adding an additional point of friction to the string would make tuning much more difficult. 

Geoff Sykes, RPT
    Los Angeles CA

• 22.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago

But I would try to get rid of the two bridge pins, another point of friction. If there is a good contact between strings and bridge, I guess the bridge pins will become irrelevant.

Hugh Trott
    musician
    No affiliations

• 23.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago
    Hugh

Apparently, you do not understand the purpose of bridge pins. 

• 24.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago

Purpose? evenly space and align the strings and ensure contact between the string and bridge. What am I missing?

Hugh Trott
    musician
    No affiliations

• 25.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago
    Theer is one more thing the bridge pins do. They unsure that the strings stay down on the bridge to keep the down bearing. 

• 26.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago

So why are you saying that I don't understand their purpose??

Hugh Trott
    musician
    No affiliations

• 27.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago
    "But I would try to get rid of the two bridge pins. If there is a good contact between strings and bridge, I guess the bridge pins will become irrelevant."

Even if there is good contact between strings and bridge, the pins would still be needed.

• 28.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago

But why exactly?

Hugh Trott
    musician
    No affiliations

• 29.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago
    As I said, to ensure that the strings stay on the bridge.

• 30.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 11 days ago

Let's not forget that the strings in a piano are at a seriously higher tension than either a violin or an electric bass. A simple notch in the thin bridge of almost any stringed instrument, except a piano, is sufficient to keep the string from moving around. What has not been mentioned here, yet, is that the bridge pins are an important  termination point for the vibrating string in a piano. Well, at least the one on the speaking side of the string. Because of the extreme high tension of a piano string, the termination points are extremely critical to both up and down as well as side to side motion of the string. If both motions are not terminated exactly right you wind up with false beating strings. In low tension stringed instruments this is not a problem. You absolutely need a strong and exact termination point on both sides of the speaking length of the string in a piano or creating an acceptable tuning will be almost impossible. A simple notch is insufficient for the job.

I know that Igrec promotes lubrication of the strings at the bridge pins to reduce friction of the string around the bridge pin. Given the two angles that the string is subject to as it goes around the bridge pins, I am of the opinion that, except during initial stringing of the piano, and to some extent as the strings get broken in, the string does not move across the bridge pins like it might going through an agraffe or capo. Please, someone, correct me if I'm wrong. 

Geoff Sykes, RPT
    Los Angeles CA

• 31.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago

Bridge pins are designed to have a clamping effect.  The bridge transfers the string vibration to the soundboard, not only from the up-and-down vibration, but the string yanks on the bridge top to create a rocking motion back and forth.  Ribs underneath the soundboard are connected to the bridge to help transfer the vibration to the soundboard, and this rocking motion is what activates the soundboard assembly.  The offset pins clamp the string to the bridge top, which insures that the string won't slide across the bridge top and insures the transfer of vibrational energy. 

There was a different system that was popular some years ago called Wapin bridge pins, where the bridge pins were straight up and down.  This produced a sound that was different, but the details I don't exactly remember.  I think it had more sustain.  It required all of the pins to be removed, plugged, and new bridge pin holes drilled with new vertical pins.  You had to be certified as an installer to implement this system.  Over time the interest waned, and I've not heard anyone still doing this.  But still, there were offset bridge pins on the bridge cap.  They were not eliminated. 

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 32.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago

Thanks, I would like to experiment first hand, and see if the angle will make a difference, I'm curious to see if all you need it's just a little groove in the bridge, just like the grooves in a violin bridge or guitar nut.

Hugh Trott
    musician
    No affiliations

• 33.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago
    "Thanks, I would like to experiment first hand, and see if the angle will make a difference, I'm curious to see if all you need it's just a little groove in the bridge, just like the grooves in a violin bridge or guitar nut"

The reason there are notches on the violin bridge is to keep the string from sliding of the bridge, which is too thin to accommodate bridge pins. 

• 34.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago
    "There was a different system that was popular some years ago called Wapin bridge pins, where the bridge pins were straight up and down.  This produced a sound that was different, but the details I don't exactly remember.  I think it had more sustain.  It required all of the pins to be removed, plugged, and new bridge pin holes drilled with new vertical pins.  You had to be certified as an installer to implement this system.  Over time the interest waned, and I've not heard anyone still doing this.  But still, there were offset bridge pins on the bridge cap.  They were not eliminated."

I rebuilt a Baldwin L once, and I had Tim Coates come down to St. Louis and he installed the wappin bridge on the piano at a seminar. I also saw this on a grand at the university of Cincinnati where this system was invented.

If I recall, the wappin bridge was a 3rd row of pins in the middle of the bridge, which were straight up and down, which helped with the sustain. But, as Paul said, there were still the front and back pins, at an angle to keep the strings on the bridge. 

Wim

• 35.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago

Only one piano will be sacrificed for the experiment: mine (...unless someone will try it before me).

Hugh Trott
    musician
    No affiliations

• 36.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago

Let us know when you get it built/redesigned. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 37.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago
    Since cristofori was mentioned, he actually had a better idea than merely changing string angle for some hypothetical gain. Cristofori had the nut underneath so when the hammer struck the string, the string would seat or dig in rather than lift off. Hence even the current modern design follows suit for the same principle. This is why it angles upward upon leaving the agraffe.
    -chris

• 38.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago

Also Klaus Fenner's book on piano design

Parker Leigh RPT
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 39.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago

Hugh, by all means, please share your findings. Just keep in mind if there is a comparison between the grooves in the bridge on a violin to a piano setup, I would consider the following:

1. Would these bridge grooves in the violin be sufficient if you were bowing from the underside of the string?
    2. What if you were hitting the underside of the string with a felt hammer? 

Tim Foster RPT
    New Oxford PA
    (470) 231-6074

• 40.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 12 days ago

Hugh, by all means, please share your findings. Just keep in mind if there is a comparison between the grooves in the bridge on a violin to a piano setup, I would consider the following:

1. Would these bridge grooves in the violin be sufficient if you were bowing from the underside of the string?
    2. What if you were hitting the underside of the string with a felt hammer? 

Sure, I can't wait to try, but I think it's gonna take a few years :) . I have a violin, and strings are incredibly tight, the bridge is incredibly thin, even if you try to pull one string up with your hand it won't separate from the groove. In an electric bass when you slap the strings with your thumb, the string will never move away from the groove in the nut. Or an electric guitar, playing hard with a pick, and abusing the strings from any angle won't cause any prblem to the nut. But imagine what would happen if in a guitar, (bass or violin), the headstock and tuning pegs were at the same level with the nut. It would be unthinkable, the strings would jump easily from groove to groove..

Hugh Trott
    musician
    No affiliations

• 41.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 11 days ago

Clarification: 

In the Wapin modification the proximal row of pins was changed to vertical, distal row remained untouched, and the third (clamping) row was installed at an opposing angle in between. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 42.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 11 days ago

High wrote: "I am trying to collect as much informations as possible, because maybe in the future I will build my own piano step by step."

Do some research the old fashioned way: read the available literature. Attend NBSS for 2 years. Apprentice yourself in a rebuilding shop. Do work study in your university's music school's piano shop. Apply for a grunt level job at Steinway or Mason & Hamlin. Join the Guild to get access to PDFs of 65+ years of their Piano Technicians Guild. 

Patrick Draine RPT
    Billerica MA
    (978) 663-9690

• 43.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 11 days ago

I mean, the early pianos worked quite well despite not having any iron plate and agraffes.

Hugh Trott

Why do you think the iron plate was invented?  Because the early pianos did not work quite well. They were very unstable and didn't produce much sound.  

Yes, you can build your own piano without a plate. But don't expect it to sound like a modern piano. 

• 44.  RE: Strings angle: why pinblock is not lower than agraffes?

Posted 11 days ago

Sure, I am not planning to dodge the plate.

Hugh Trott
    musician
    No affiliations