Pianotech

• 1.  Substitute for Pro Felt solution

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 12 days ago

List

As you are aware, Pianotek's go-to bushing and mortice restorer, VS Profelt is no longer available in the USA.  However, I just came across a very good substitute to that solution found at Howard Industries. Just did a treatment on a Steinway D and the results were excellent. Its being labeled as "VS Profelt Alternative" for $25.95/bottle.

Buy VS Profelt Treatment | Howard Piano Industries 

Done...sealed... and delivered.  Happy camper!

Tom Servinsky 

Concert Artist Piano Technician

Director/Conductor- Academy Orchestra

Managing Conductor-Treasure Coast Youth Symphony

Keyboardist- Beatles Re-Imagined

Pianist with TLC Jazz Duo

tompiano@tomservinsky.com

772 221 1011 office

772 260 7110 cell

• 2.  RE: Substitute for Pro Felt solution

Posted 12 days ago
    How very interesting. What does it actually do? Release squashed fibres? The equivalent doesn't seem to be known across the pond from the British supply house https://www.fletcher-newman.co.uk/index.php

Best wishes

David P

--
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    +44 1342 850594

• 3.  RE: Substitute for Pro Felt solution

Posted 11 days ago

I am vague on the details but about a year ago, Chris Brown of GrandWorks Regulation Products, had a snippit in the Journal that the Dampp Chaser Water Additive had restorative properties very similar to ProFelt. Worth searching the Journal Archives for this. I did watch the video.

------------------------------
    Tremaine Parsons RPT
    Georgetown CA
    (530) 333-9299

• 4.  RE: Substitute for Pro Felt solution

Posted 11 days ago

Not sure of the chemical properties, but this type of material has been longed used at Kluge and other European felt manufactures as a stabilizing agent used in felt manufacturing.  Pianotek started selling this as "VS Profelt" some years back and it has been a staple with many techs.  Its great for resizing key bushings, as was a balancier holes that have become sloppy, as well as key mortices.

For stabilizing key bushing mortices, simply put a few drops on each side, and then put the appropriate caul in place.  Leave set over night, and the mortice will size appropriately to the caul dimensions.

For stabilizing key bushing felt after installation, same process, add a few drops to each side, then put the appropriate caul in place and let set over night.

There is an outfit in Germany that currently sells the same product, but at the moment, the name escapes me.

Schaff has announced that it too has come up with a solution similar to the VS Profelt and will be available in the near future.

Tom Servinsky 

Concert Artist Piano Technician

Director/Conductor- Academy Orchestra

Managing Conductor-Treasure Coast Youth Symphony

Keyboardist- Beatles Re-Imagined

Pianist with TLC Jazz Duo

tompiano@tomservinsky.com

772 221 1011 office

772 260 7110 cell

• 5.  RE: Substitute for Pro Felt solution

Posted 11 days ago

I've long used VS profelt as my go to solution to reduce friction in flanges that are in good condition but just tight and repinning is not an option.  (Not for verdigris or otherwise polluted felt and metal.)  Soak and work them a bit, then let dry over night and the results most often are striking and lasting.    I heard from a little bird that it has a small amount of silicone and contains water.  These two components would contribute to reducing flange friction.   

David Stanwood
    stanwoodpiano.com
    stanwood@tiac.net
    508-693-1583

• 6.  RE: Substitute for Pro Felt solution

Posted 11 days ago
    The wool fibers are hollow and normally have lanolin in them. After processing the lanolin washes out. Pro felt fills the fibers. They used to use it to retain the shape of wool hats.
    For sizing bushings it swells up the felt just like alcohol and water and the felt gets crushed together. When it dries it is able to shrink more than it was. Pro felt is better for the felt than alcohol. 

• 7.  RE: Substitute for Pro Felt solution

Posted 11 days ago

I have been an avid Pro Felt user for years and bemoaned it's loss. Recently purchased a bottle directly from Felt Restore-

https://feltrestore.com/

which smelled exactly like isopropyl. Have yet to use it on a full set of keys but it seemed effective on samples. I would prefer to find something more like the original and am waiting patiently for it to appear.

DB

David C. Brown RPT
    Garland TX
    tunermandb88.com