CAUT

• 1.  Sustain pedal squeak - Mason & Hamlin

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 09-17-2022 09:11
    1966 Mason & Hamlin B has a groaning squeak when the sustain pedal reaches full travel. If pressure is put on the pedal horizontally toward the bass while pushing down, the groan goes away. It sounds like wood on wood to me.

Replacing the felt where the vertical rod meets the back of the pedal had no effect. Removing the lyre and opening the pedal box, there are four small wood blocks holding the pedal bushings. The outer block for the sustain bushing was contacting the inside edge of the pedal box. I was able to insert a thin piece of felt (with some ProLube for good luck), and the groan is gone -- at least for now. See photo attached.

I also lubricated the return springs under the keybed, which pushed on leather, but I'm glad to hear other usual suspects.

--Cy-- 
    Adding felt to stop a squeak

------------------------------
    Cy Shuster, RPT
    Fairfax, VA
    http://www.shusterpiano.com

• 2.  RE: Sustain pedal squeak - Mason & Hamlin
    Best Answer

Posted 09-18-2022 09:57
    The wooden blocks should probably be shaved/sanded down so there is no wood to wood contact with the mortised walls of the pedal box. Also some very thin felt or buckskin under the blocks will prevent wood to wood contact. There is a fair amount of force down and to the side when pedals are played. Check pedal prop sticks and any other areas including the top of the lyre. I had a problem with a Mason & Hamlin BB and remember how close parts where with the shift lever touching wood. Sometimes the groans an moans are coming from multiple places. New leather in the trap works especially where springs are present is a good idea. Also watch out for noises coming from pins and bushings that hold the trap work levers in place. I just rebuilt the pedal box and did other work on the pedal system of a 1919 Mason. Noises/groans/squeaks all over but the very last one was the tension spring and old leather that was glazed over and blackened by previous greasing

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357