Pianotech

• 1.  Tapering Upright Hammers

Posted 25 days ago

I have hung a set of upright hammers, but am having problems with the tail of the bass hammers rubbing on the adjacent hammer as the hammer comes in contact with the string. Is there a way to taper the bass side of the hammer head once they are already hung on shanks and flanges? If so, does anyone have a jig that they can recommend?

Thank you.

------------------------------
    Rex Roseman
    Norton OH
    (330) 289-2948

• 2.  RE: Tapering Upright Hammers

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 25 days ago
    Rex

Depends on how much you have to take off. If it’s just a few mm, use a sandpaper paddle with 80 or 120 sandpaper to remove a little. Hold on to the hammer shank with a pair of pliers and use the hammer rail as a brace so as not to put any pressure on the flange.

But if you need to remove more, it might be best to take the hammer and butt of the rail. You can put the hammer in a vise use the sandpaper paddle or hold the hammer on a belt sander.

Wim.
    Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Tapering Upright Hammers

Posted 10 days ago

Wim

Thank you for your response. When I returned to work on the piano, there were just a couple that were rubbing, so I was able to use hammer shaping files with a course grit to take off enough material to get proper clearance.

Rex Roseman
    Norton OH
    (330) 289-2948

• 4.  RE: Tapering Upright Hammers

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 10 days ago
    It's always nice to easily solve problems. 

Wim