Pianotech

• 1.  The Last Repair Shop

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 01-25-2024 23:19

Even if you never watch any TV you really should search out Searchlight Pictures' Oscar nominated documentary short

The Last Repair Shop.
    It's on Disney+ and streaming other places. it tells the story of the instrument repair shop for the Los Angeles unified school district.. Steve Bagmanyan  is featured as the manager of the shop, and the Piano technician. he credits, Ken Burget, with helping him to recover his love of music and become a piano technician. I don't know how anyone who does what we do for a living can watch this short 40 minute documentary, without being deeply moved.

------------------------------
    Karl Roeder
    Pompano Beach FL

• 2.  RE: The Last Repair Shop

Posted 01-26-2024 00:03

I watched it last night. Beautifully done piece of human interest that, unfortunately, never touched on what actually goes on in their shop. Steve Bagmanyan reminded me a lot of what Isaac Sadigursky went through to arrive in the US and achieve greatness as a loving and sharing piano technician. LAUSD is, indeed, fortunate to have this shop, and this team supporting their student musicians. I hope they are well paid.

Geoff Sykes, RPT
    Los Angeles CA

• 3.  RE: The Last Repair Shop

Posted 01-26-2024 00:51

I just finished it.  Well done, though the emphasis was on the people and there was very little about the repairs.

My one "criticism" was that the string instrument shop was using Titebond, which is something that is usually frowned on for string repairs.

I am sure that everyone could find something to complain about, but a good documentary.

Blaine Hebert RPT
    Duarte CA
    (626) 390-0512

• 4.  RE: The Last Repair Shop

Posted 01-26-2024 21:40

Karl,

Just finished watching the documentary.  You were right about being deeply moved.  As I am half Armenian, I felt a particular empathy for Steve.

Paul Kupelian RPT
    Constantia NY
    (315) 623-9484

• 5.  RE: The Last Repair Shop

Posted 03-14-2024 02:35

This won an Academy Award for Best Documentary Short the other night. 

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129