CAUT

Tune compensating for the Weinrich Drift

• 1.  Tune compensating for the Weinrich Drift

Posted 12-26-2023 00:50

In this video I show how I tune compensating for the Weinrich Drift. In the middle register of my piano, for example, I show the Weinrich Drift on A4 is about -0.4 cents initially flat and then after 1.5 secs it settles sharp to zero. So I pre-tune the unisons to +0.4 cents during the early phase off the attack, using my 'freeze' function I invented, and had put into Pianoscope app, to display the average tuning during the first 700 ms (0.7 secs.). After that time, the power is of course decaying and when the Weinrich Drift finally settles around 1.5 secs from the attack, the decay is far enough that we don't perceive it. What we psych-acoustically perceive musically is the pitch during the phase after the attack when the power is still significant. During this phase, the Weinrich Drift is 0.4 cents flatter than it will be after 1.5 secs. Please watch the video as I explain this in real time. When my piano is tuned in this manner, it is really super clean and all the intervals are perceived as more pure because they are!

Here is the video link:

Piano Tuning: Weinrich Drift Example Using PianoSens

YouTube remove preview
    Piano Tuning: Weinrich Drift Example Using PianoSens
    View this on YouTube >

------------------------------
    Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101
    ------------------------------