Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

• 1.  Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-14-2024 18:48

We had a lively discussion last night at the South Bay PTG where I gave a class.

One of the issues is whether we tune with a single partial or with multiple partials. If an app choses a single partial for tuning, we could be lucky to see virtually no difference where the mic was placed. But if we are unlucky we could get more than a 1 cent error range with a small mic placement movement. It is not that the movement creates a different frequency, but it creates a different resolution of that frequency. 

Here is an example. Using the note C4 on a 7' grand piano, the mic was moved around to 9 different physical positions above the soundboard in reasonable locations that a tuner could place an iPhone. The .wav files were captured and analyzed in Matlab. The result was the following spread of errors with respect to placement. The data is below. Notice the sign of one relative to the other.

Partial 2:     -0.88 cents

Partial 3:     -0.10 cents

Partial 4:     +0.93 cents

Partial 5:     -0.47 cents

Partial 6:     +0.79 cents

Depending on the tuning app, if it tunes on one partial, it could either be lucky (-0.1 cents) or unlucky (+0.93 cents).

Alternatively, if the app tunes by trying to fit the data statistically, it could use a mean, median, or standard deviation.

mean             =   0.0540

median          =   -0.1000

std. dev.         =   0.7874

range              =  1.8100

A string sensor will not have these variances because small placement changes are inconsequential and produce one answer. Then it is up to the IH curve fitting in the app to make sure the measurements align with the IH initial calculations, thus ensuring we have extremely low variance and can trust the answer with more confidence.

Best,

Steven Norsworthy

------------------------------
    Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 2.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 02-14-2024 20:22

"The result was the following spread of errors with respect to placement. The data is below. Notice the sign..."

Could you clarify how you calculated the spreads and why some are negative? I would be interested in seeing a 9x6 table showing the measured frequency of each partial at each placement of the mic. 

Anthony Willey, RPT
    http://willeypianotuning.com
    http://pianometer.com

• 3.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-14-2024 21:15

Anthony, this requires days and days of spectral analysis and all we need to really do is show one good example and be done with it. Best, Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 4.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-14-2024 21:30
      |   view attached

Just for grins I shot a video of C4 using TuneLab.  Please pardon the crappy videography.  I get that you can't really test an app against itself, I just wanted to see how much its own output changed from position to position.

I'll try uploading it to the forums here too but I shared it at:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uwvV45qSF6eavUWm6

I can largely see the effect being described here in TuneLab's display; notice that in positions #3 and #6 the pitch reading goes flat by a little more than a cent in the first second or so, and some of the others positions actually go sharp.

I think it's worth nothing, however, that they all converge on readings between -0.2 and 0.0 after a couple seconds. (I know, I moved the camera too soon after position 2 and you can't really see it, sorry.)  In practice, this is what I'd actually tune to, if I was wanting to get max precision out of the ETD.

So it sounds like the data's showing us that an emf sensor stands to give us the right answer quicker, if nothing else.  On the other hand, perhaps we need not be concerned that our mic-based readings are actually leading us that _too_ far astray if we're waiting for them to settle.

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-14-2024 21:36

The nonlinearity of the piano string and hammer cause pitch decay vs time. The power is in the first second, and THAT is where we are to measure pitch, i.e, the window of time with samples starting at the strike and ending in the first second. The speed of pitch decay is the most rapid right after the strike. After the first second, pitch decay is still going, and the higher we go into the upper register in particular. There is no such thing as steady state pitch in a piano. It is also a musically right thing to do to capture the pitch measurements in the first second. The piano musical literature moves quickly in most passages, i.e., quarter-note = 60 (one sec quarter note) is a slow passage and the sustain pedal is down usually at this slow tempo. The composers intuitively knew this from hundreds of years ago to present.

Steve N.

• 6.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-14-2024 21:49

Indeed, the pitch is known to drop as the note is held. But the shorter the notes the more forgiving the tuning -- at least with the exception of unisons.  So you may be getting a significantly better attack sound out of the unisons.

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-14-2024 21:57

If the unisons are in tune at the short interval after the attack, say, the first 500 ms, there is significantly more power in the attack if the unisons are lined up in both phase and frequency. My measurements of this phenomenon are that if the unisons have a spread of 0.7 cents, there is a loss of 6 dB of power in the first 500 ms. I simply don't understand why there is a school of thought that spread unisons are somehow preferred, or that we can wait 2 seconds after the attack to dial in the pitch. Neither makes musical sense. Tuners are playing single notes by themselves out of musical context. It would be like a pianist walking on stage, playing a single note without the sustain pedal, holding it for 5 secs, and the audience saying, "Oh what a beautiful piece of music and what a great performance!"

Maybe a John Cage composition!

I still respect people's opinions who are on the other side of this argument but I don't yet have any of them making a musical argument in the context of real piano music.

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 8.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-14-2024 23:17

Steven,

After your demonstration last night (while you were enjoying some pie 😋) I tuned a demonstration of the tonal difference between a solid unison (C4) and a unison (C#4) tuned for better tone by very slightly shifting one of the strings. Unfortunately another tuner decided to practice using the tuning device on the C# before I could go collect you and have you listen to the difference.  It was my hope to help you begin to understand the reason for slight <cracking> of the unison for better sustain.

Of course the attack is more solid with the unison super precisely tuned. However, I listened to all of the unisons which you had set precisely (and which had not drifted).  All of them indeed had a strong and solid sounding attack.  And all of them had worse sustain.  They exhibited what I call a "pinched" unison, where it is solidly in tune but the sound decays more quickly than one with a little life in it.

I tuned the C# with one of the strings offset (by ear) just enough to eliminate the pinching off effect in the sustain. I agree completely that the initial attack was less solid, but the tone swelled after the attack, and the sustain was noticeably longer.  The tone of the note had a much more beautiful sound.  And when done well in a concert tuning there is no question that the overall effect in the piano is really quite gorgeous.

Now, you love to measure and quantify everything in super detail, and if you would like to try to do that then consider this: If there is a 3 or 4db weaker initial attack in the tone, that energy is not lost!  I'm sure in your extensive reading and studying about piano tone you have learned about coupling between piano strings.  There are numerous articles available on this topic. I would like you to consider that the energy missing from the weaker attack is merely shifted later in time, as the energy shifts between the strings, and this explains the longer sustain. There is no beat, mind you (even though you rather insultingly suggested in an earlier email sent to my wife that we who tune these unisons are listening for ". . . a beautiful vibrato piece of music." ) There is only a clear but beautiful swell in the tone.  A truly artistic concert tuning is one in which all of the unisons are tuned with similar speed of swell.

I learned this concept in the 1980s from another very experienced concert tuner and practiced it when tuning for concerts, and have refined it and worked to become better at it in the many years since in concerts and studio recordings. 

Some years ago I was asked to tune a very beautiful Yamaha S4 grand for the evening recital at a PTG conference.  Afterwards I was approached by multiple piano technicians who asked me "What did you do to that piano!  It sang so beautifully!  How did you do that?"  I did nothing but tune the piano, but my style of tuning did make it sing - it was an excellent piano.

I have extensive experience working with the staff at Kawai's R&D facility in Japan, and learned many, many things about piano tone that are not at all straightforward and intuitive.  However, this does not make them mysterious or questionable.

Open your mind, Steven, to what the experienced people are telling you!  Your device is wonderful, I have no qualms about its effectiveness and excellent design. However, just because you have so much knowledge in signal analysis it is simply hubris for you to question things you are told by technicians with years of high level experience working with pianos in very demanding situations simply because you don't understand it!  Experiment with your undoubtedly very lovely Fazioli at home, and graph the decay envelope of the precise unison, then change 1 string just 0.2¢ - 0.3¢.  Record that into Matlab and chart the decay envelope again, see how it changes.  I would also suggest that you do the recording / charting with your sensor but also use one of the excellent microphones you mentioned that you own.  If the 'dirty' unison doesn't sustain longer, then try tuning it aurally until you hear the swell, but no repeating beat.

You should know that your clearly expressed superiority complex is what offends people, not specific statements.  I submit to you that this is seriously turning a lot of excellent technicians (and potential PianoSens customers) away from considering your excellent product. 

Don Mannino RPT

• 9.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-14-2024 23:34
    Don,
    See attached graph. You are speaking psycho-acoustically as I explain below. Let's respect two schools of thought on this subject. I respect yours and I ask the same for many of your colleges who take the other side of the argument that lines up with the data measurements I have been making. My arguments have measured data with both power and sustain. 
    Only measurements and not psycho-acoustics are a good argument or measure. Below shows a spread unison vs non spread one. It is a psycho-acoustic phenomenon you are talking about, not the physical reality. The sustain is BETTER as well as the attack when you make the measurement, but the brain may say otherwise because you are measuring sustain from the 180 degree phase dips that are occurring from the beat frequency of the spread. The law of conversation of energy refutes your argument also. Play the chords in musical context and you will see that the power is in the attack phase. 
    Kindly and respectfully,
    Steve
    Spread vs NonSpread

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 10.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 00:34

The graph here shows a detune of 1c, which I think anyone will agree is way too much. Have you tried it with much smaller detuned? IIUC that's what Don is suggesting.

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 11.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 00:45

I have tried from 0.1 to 1. It is all scaled. The de-tuned never comes all the way back to the blue line of power. Impossible, violates the laws of physics.

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 12.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 14:08

hi Seven,

from what i have heard, your invention seems to be very helpful in tuning very pure unisons which is great.

when looking at the graph that compares a 1ct spread unison to an ideal unison, it clearly shows that the ideal unison acts (and therefor, will sound very monotonous or sterile whereas the spread unison (whether a 1 ct spread or a 0.3 ct spread) shows some life to it which adds more interest to the human ear. 

I think that your program could be very helpful in getting more quickly to the "perfect" unison after which we would be able to detune a string to add some swelling if so desired, making sure that we don't detune so much that it sounds "sloppy". When i was learning from the late Larry B Crabb, he always emphasized the importance of tuning near perfect and stable unisons. He liked the so-called swelling, caused by a slightly detuning of one string, without it producing a beat (of course, if you were able to listen to a note long enough, it will produce a beat but that's theoretic but not practical.

I just like to hear some swelling that maybe produces a beat once every 10 or more seconds and I think that a lot of our customers out there prefer to hear some swelling of the unisons as well based on that i have heard regularly (in my earlier days) that my tunings sounded too sterile, as i was trying to really focus on tuning beatless unisons plus the fact that many people who started on an electric piano or keyboard, thought it was boring as those "unisons" are monotonous without any life to them.

Again, kudos to you for developing your program which seems to be very helpful to most who started using it

Peter

Peter Janssen
    Fort Myers FL
    (678) 416-8055

• 13.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 10:34
    Steven,

First, let me point out how your email and chart illustrate my earlier criticism. You state we should respect each other's opinions, but in the same email you label your unison tuning "Ideal." Can you not see why this type of writing is offensive?  What if I posted a chart in which I labeled your unison "Dead" and a spread unison "Musical?" 

Regarding your chart, please follow the instructions I gave you and make this chart again.  It was done incorrectly.

You must not tune the offset string to a number, you must tune it by sound. 1 cent difference is clearly too much in your test. 

I do not have the tools needed to make my own chart for you, but I have seen graphs where this is swell effect is clearly shown. The swell in tone is measurable and if you can duplicate it by tuning the 3rd string aurally you will see it in your measurements.

Of course, if a technician or a pianist does not prefer the sound, or if a particular piano does not respond well to this technique (which is common), then this is all moot - one should tune the unisons as circumstances and the instrument demand.  One style is not universally superior to the other, but tuning unisons for sustain should not be derided as 'less than ideal.'

• 14.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 00:29

After reading your comments here Don, I did want to clarify my other comment a bit. I didn't mean to advocate for tuning the unisons to all read the exact same on the machine. I believe I am familiar with what you describe as a unison that is beatless but sounds "pinched", and I try to tune away from that as long as the note cooperates. I must confess I rarely know if that sound is coming from too "exact" of a unison or other problems like a poorly mated hammer -- because I usually tune unisons by ear and just use the ETD to troubleshoot uncooperative ones. But I do believe in avoiding that particular sound.

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 15.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 01:04

Don, you also asked for a tighter spread. I showed 1 cent graph and now here is the 0.3 cent spread graph.

After 6 seconds, there is a 5 dB LESS SUSTAIN. Physics are Physics, but Psycho-Acoustics are also Psycho-Acoustics. 

See figure below.

Steve

0.3 Cent Spread in Unisons and LESS sustain by 5 dB after 6 secs

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 16.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 01:54

I don't think it's fair to ignore psychoacoustics. An impure unison will sound louder than a pure unison of similar intensity because the impure unison activates more hair cells in the cochlea. I'm no expert on this, but it makes intuitive sense to me that we would hear a "bloom" in a slightly detuned unison when the amplitude decays enough that the strings stop phase locking. I don't know whether that's the bloom Don is talking about or if it corresponds with the bump in Steven's graph. (Probably not.) My main point is, the audience in a concert hall will be listening with human ears connected to a brain, not microphones connected to a computer. Psychoacoustics are important. 

Anthony Willey, RPT

• 17.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 02:44
    But listening five seconds after the attack to a single note with no other notes going, and no pedal down is a totally unrealistic thing. Unless you’re John Cage.

• 18.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 10:39

With respect, I don't think anybody said it had to be a solo note, 5 seconds, or without pedal. Above, Don said, "A truly artistic concert tuning is one in which all of the unisons are tuned with similar speed of swell." That would show up no matter how many notes you're sustaining. 

I've never been a high level enough tuner to deliberately target bloom like that. I rarely tune concert grands, and I encounter more spinets than grands of any kind, so I just target "pure" unisons and accept that they will all be more or less detuned because pure is a hard target to hit. That said, I think I have a pretty good idea of the sound that Don is talking about. In my mind it is a slight "turn" in the sound maybe about a second or two after the attack, but no obvious beating. The sound gets more complex. 

Anthony Willey, RPT

• 19.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 10:51

Thanks for providing the 0.3c graphs, that clears things up a bit for me.  I'm convinced that, as far as the driving force from the string is concerned, we really do lose some total power from the points where the strings are out of phase -- i.e. it's not something that gets conserved for later in the decay like what happens when we add mass or stiffness to the soundboard/bridge.

Given that it takes _so_ long at 0.3c (5-6 seconds), for the "bloom" to occur in this particular graph (even if it's just a trend back towards the power level of a 0 cent unison)... I'm wondering if we're hearing an entirely different effect here after all -- perhaps something that happens in the bridge/soundboard, or perhaps something to do with the relative strength of partials that makes us perceive the note as sustaining longer.  I'm almost certain I know the sound that Don is talking about (please correct me if anything in my own description sounds off!!), and it doesn't take anywhere near 5 seconds to become apparent.  You can hear it almost immediately after the initial attack noise is gone -- easily within the first second.  And it happens with a very slight change in the unison, on the order of <0.3c.  Anything beyond about 0.5c detune just starts to sound kinda bad by comparison.  (I'm talking about in the range of A4 here; in the very high treble it's a very different story in terms of what we can/can't really hear).

I'll float a hypothesis: Maybe what we're hearing at small (<0.3c) detunes is that the periods of phase cancellation "kick in" earlier for the higher partials than the lower ones, giving us a more subjectively pleasing sound.  I need to review David Koenig's articles, because an effect like this _would_ show up in a waterfall frequency/amplitude/time plot.

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 20.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 09:39
    It's an interesting assertion that a detuned unison might sound louder on more hairs in the ear being activated but sheer power of the instrument comes from laser sharp unisons.

Detuning a string can be very powerful to mute an overtly louder note so that a phase cancellation over a second actually robs power from the other two strings. I had this situation tuning a Yamaha C7 for the Nice International Competition in 2019 when a performer playing the Carlo Vine sonata https://youtu.be/mnTDkj5dYYc?t=4505 - played here at the final concert on a Fazioli - complained that a treble note was standing out. Subtly detuning one string on that note brought satisfaction

Best wishes

David P

--
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.
    +44 1342 850594

• 21.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 13:24
    • Here is an actual recording I made from my Fazioli F308 with a small spread of unisons vs precisely matched unisons to 0.1 cents.
    • There is 6 dB less power after careful calibration of the signals to make sure the comparison is correct, as I 'normalized' the instantaneous peaks.
    • Everyone without exception I have played there recordings for have all agreed with the comments in the slide.
    • Thinner sound, less stable sounding, less power. 
    • We should be respectful of 'subjective opinions' but data is data. 

-- Steve

Spread Unisons Experiment

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 22.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 13:50

I may be misreading the graph labels, but if that's three strings of a unison at -0.5c, -0.1c, and 0.2c, you have too wide of a spread (0.7c). No one is arguing that this sounds good.  Would also be helpful to specify if these readings are taken with a microphone or the new sensor -- I'm assuming the latter?

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 23.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 14:00

I was also going to ask if these were taken with the sensor or a microphone. I'm trying to wrap my head around which measurement device would be better for measuring an effect like this. My intuition says microphone. (I worry that effects like the strings vibrating sideways in some modes or out of phase with each other could be measured differently by an electromagnetic pickup, or if the "bloom" effect has components that occur in the bridge and soundboard.) 

Anthony Willey, RPT

• 24.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 14:04
    • 1) PTG examiners I have discussed with say that this spread would be well within the tolerance.
    • 2) Taken with the sensor, measured in Matlab.
    • 3) I already showed a prior graph of the power drop with 0.3

I was also going to ask if these were taken with the sensor or a microphone. I'm trying to wrap my head around which measurement device would be better for measuring an effect like this. My intuition says microphone. (I worry that effects like the strings vibrating sideways in some modes or out of phase with each other could be measured differently by an electromagnetic pickup, or if the "bloom" effect has components that occur in the bridge and soundboard.) 

Anthony Willey, RPT

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-15-2024 13:49
    Subject: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

I may be misreading the graph labels, but if that's three strings of a unison at -0.5c, -0.1c, and 0.2c, you have too wide of a spread (0.7c). No one is arguing that this sounds good.  Would also be helpful to specify if these readings are taken with a microphone or the new sensor -- I'm assuming the latter?

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-15-2024 13:23

• Here is an actual recording I made from my Fazioli F308 with a small spread of unisons vs precisely matched unisons to 0.1 cents.
    • There is 6 dB less power after careful calibration of the signals to make sure the comparison is correct, as I 'normalized' the instantaneous peaks.
    • Everyone without exception I have played there recordings for have all agreed with the comments in the slide.
    • Thinner sound, less stable sounding, less power. 
    • We should be respectful of 'subjective opinions' but data is data. 

-- Steve

Spread Unisons Experiment

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-15-2024 09:38

It's an interesting assertion that a detuned unison might sound louder on more hairs in the ear being activated but sheer power of the instrument comes from laser sharp unisons.
    Detuning a string can be very powerful to mute an overtly louder note so that a phase cancellation over a second actually robs power from the other two strings. I had this situation tuning a Yamaha C7 for the Nice International Competition in 2019 when a performer playing the Carlo Vine sonata https://youtu.be/mnTDkj5dYYc?t=4505 - played here at the final concert on a Fazioli - complained that a treble note was standing out. Subtly detuning one string on that note brought satisfaction
    Best wishes
    David P
    --
    +44 1342 850594

Original Message:
    Sent: 2/15/2024 1:54:00 AM
    Subject: RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

I don't think it's fair to ignore psychoacoustics. An impure unison will sound louder than a pure unison of similar intensity because the impure unison activates more hair cells in the cochlea. I'm no expert on this, but it makes intuitive sense to me that we would hear a "bloom" in a slightly detuned unison when the amplitude decays enough that the strings stop phase locking. I don't know whether that's the bloom Don is talking about or if it corresponds with the bump in Steven's graph. (Probably not.) My main point is, the audience in a concert hall will be listening with human ears connected to a brain, not microphones connected to a computer. Psychoacoustics are important. 

Anthony Willey, RPT

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-15-2024 01:04

Don, you also asked for a tighter spread. I showed 1 cent graph and now here is the 0.3 cent spread graph.

After 6 seconds, there is a 5 dB LESS SUSTAIN. Physics are Physics, but Psycho-Acoustics are also Psycho-Acoustics. 

See figure below.

Steve

0.3 Cent Spread in Unisons and LESS sustain by 5 dB after 6 secs

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-14-2024 23:16

Steven,

After your demonstration last night (while you were enjoying some pie 😋) I tuned a demonstration of the tonal difference between a solid unison (C4) and a unison (C#4) tuned for better tone by very slightly shifting one of the strings. Unfortunately another tuner decided to practice using the tuning device on the C# before I could go collect you and have you listen to the difference.  It was my hope to help you begin to understand the reason for slight <cracking> of the unison for better sustain.

Of course the attack is more solid with the unison super precisely tuned. However, I listened to all of the unisons which you had set precisely (and which had not drifted).  All of them indeed had a strong and solid sounding attack.  And all of them had worse sustain.  They exhibited what I call a "pinched" unison, where it is solidly in tune but the sound decays more quickly than one with a little life in it.

I tuned the C# with one of the strings offset (by ear) just enough to eliminate the pinching off effect in the sustain. I agree completely that the initial attack was less solid, but the tone swelled after the attack, and the sustain was noticeably longer.  The tone of the note had a much more beautiful sound.  And when done well in a concert tuning there is no question that the overall effect in the piano is really quite gorgeous.

Now, you love to measure and quantify everything in super detail, and if you would like to try to do that then consider this: If there is a 3 or 4db weaker initial attack in the tone, that energy is not lost!  I'm sure in your extensive reading and studying about piano tone you have learned about coupling between piano strings.  There are numerous articles available on this topic. I would like you to consider that the energy missing from the weaker attack is merely shifted later in time, as the energy shifts between the strings, and this explains the longer sustain. There is no beat, mind you (even though you rather insultingly suggested in an earlier email sent to my wife that we who tune these unisons are listening for ". . . a beautiful vibrato piece of music." ) There is only a clear but beautiful swell in the tone.  A truly artistic concert tuning is one in which all of the unisons are tuned with similar speed of swell.

I learned this concept in the 1980s from another very experienced concert tuner and practiced it when tuning for concerts, and have refined it and worked to become better at it in the many years since in concerts and studio recordings. 

Some years ago I was asked to tune a very beautiful Yamaha S4 grand for the evening recital at a PTG conference.  Afterwards I was approached by multiple piano technicians who asked me "What did you do to that piano!  It sang so beautifully!  How did you do that?"  I did nothing but tune the piano, but my style of tuning did make it sing - it was an excellent piano.

I have extensive experience working with the staff at Kawai's R&D facility in Japan, and learned many, many things about piano tone that are not at all straightforward and intuitive.  However, this does not make them mysterious or questionable.

Open your mind, Steven, to what the experienced people are telling you!  Your device is wonderful, I have no qualms about its effectiveness and excellent design. However, just because you have so much knowledge in signal analysis it is simply hubris for you to question things you are told by technicians with years of high level experience working with pianos in very demanding situations simply because you don't understand it!  Experiment with your undoubtedly very lovely Fazioli at home, and graph the decay envelope of the precise unison, then change 1 string just 0.2¢ - 0.3¢.  Record that into Matlab and chart the decay envelope again, see how it changes.  I would also suggest that you do the recording / charting with your sensor but also use one of the excellent microphones you mentioned that you own.  If the 'dirty' unison doesn't sustain longer, then try tuning it aurally until you hear the swell, but no repeating beat.

You should know that your clearly expressed superiority complex is what offends people, not specific statements.  I submit to you that this is seriously turning a lot of excellent technicians (and potential PianoSens customers) away from considering your excellent product. 

Don Mannino RPT

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-14-2024 21:57

If the unisons are in tune at the short interval after the attack, say, the first 500 ms, there is significantly more power in the attack if the unisons are lined up in both phase and frequency. My measurements of this phenomenon are that if the unisons have a spread of 0.7 cents, there is a loss of 6 dB of power in the first 500 ms. I simply don't understand why there is a school of thought that spread unisons are somehow preferred, or that we can wait 2 seconds after the attack to dial in the pitch. Neither makes musical sense. Tuners are playing single notes by themselves out of musical context. It would be like a pianist walking on stage, playing a single note without the sustain pedal, holding it for 5 secs, and the audience saying, "Oh what a beautiful piece of music and what a great performance!"

Maybe a John Cage composition!

I still respect people's opinions who are on the other side of this argument but I don't yet have any of them making a musical argument in the context of real piano music.

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-14-2024 21:49

Indeed, the pitch is known to drop as the note is held. But the shorter the notes the more forgiving the tuning -- at least with the exception of unisons.  So you be be getting a significantly better attack sound out of the unisons.

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-14-2024 21:35

The nonlinearity of the piano string and hammer cause pitch decay vs time. The power is in the first second, and THAT is where we are to measure pitch, i.e, the window of time with samples starting at the strike and ending in the first second. The speed of pitch decay is the most rapid right after the strike. After the first second, pitch decay is still going, and the higher we go into the upper register in particular. There is no such thing as steady state pitch in a piano. It is also a musically right thing to do to capture the pitch measurements in the first second. The piano musical literature moves quickly in most passages, i.e., quarter-note = 60 (one sec quarter note) is a slow passage and the sustain pedal is down usually at this slow tempo. The composers intuitively knew this from hundreds of years ago to present.

Steve N.

Original Message:
    Sent: 2/14/2024 9:30:00 PM
    Subject: RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Just for grins I shot a video of C4 using TuneLab.  Please pardon the crappy videography.  I get that you can't really test an app against itself, I just wanted to see how much its own output changed from position to position.

I'll try uploading it to the forums here too but I shared it at:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uwvV45qSF6eavUWm6

I can largely see the effect being described here in TuneLab's display; notice that in positions #3 and #6 the pitch reading goes flat by a little more than a cent in the first second or so, and some of the others positions actually go sharp.

I think it's worth nothing, however, that they all converge on readings between -0.2 and 0.0 after a couple seconds. (I know, I moved the camera too soon after position 2 and you can't really see it, sorry.)  In practice, this is what I'd actually tune to, if I was wanting to get max precision out of the ETD.

So it sounds like the data's showing us that an emf sensor stands to give us the right answer quicker, if nothing else.  On the other hand, perhaps we need not be concerned that our mic-based readings are actually leading us that _too_ far astray if we're waiting for them to settle.

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

Original Message:
    Sent: 02-14-2024 18:47

We had a lively discussion last night at the South Bay PTG where I gave a class.

One of the issues is whether we tune with a single partial or with multiple partials. If an app choses a single partial for tuning, we could be lucky to see virtually no difference where the mic was placed. But if we are unlucky we could get more than a 1 cent error range with a small mic placement movement. It is not that the movement creates a different frequency, but it creates a different resolution of that frequency. 

Here is an example. Using the note C4 on a 7' grand piano, the mic was moved around to 9 different physical positions above the soundboard in reasonable locations that a tuner could place an iPhone. The .wav files were captured and analyzed in Matlab. The result was the following spread of errors with respect to placement. The data is below. Notice the sign of one relative to the other.

Partial 2:     -0.88 cents

Partial 3:     -0.10 cents

Partial 4:     +0.93 cents

Partial 5:     -0.47 cents

Partial 6:     +0.79 cents

Depending on the tuning app, if it tunes on one partial, it could either be lucky (-0.1 cents) or unlucky (+0.93 cents).

Alternatively, if the app tunes by trying to fit the data statistically, it could use a mean, median, or standard deviation.

mean             =   0.0540

median          =   -0.1000

std. dev.         =   0.7874

range              =  1.8100

A string sensor will not have these variances because small placement changes are inconsequential and produce one answer. Then it is up to the IH curve fitting in the app to make sure the measurements align with the IH initial calculations, thus ensuring we have extremely low variance and can trust the answer with more confidence.

Best,

Steven Norsworthy

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 25.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 14:46

• 1) PTG examiners I have discussed with say that this spread would be well within the tolerance.

The PTG exam tolerances are just that, tolerances for scoring purposes.  No one is asserting that they represent the best sounding unisons.  What Don is talking about requires much tighter spreads.

• 2) Taken with the sensor, measured in Matlab.

Thanks!

• 3) I already showed a prior graph of the power drop with 0.3

I don't expect you personally to generate every graph I want to see, but TBH I think I need to see a 3d waterfall (time/frequency/amplitude) of this to really get a feel for the practical implications.  

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 26.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 10:38
    OK, point taken on the amount of the unison spread.

Now tune the 3rd string until you clearly hear the swell in the unison, then measure again.  I was able to do this clearly Tuesday night on the SKEX, and have demonstrated it many times in technical seminars.  As I said early, I have also seen the effect shown on a chart.

Don

• 27.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 06:07

Thank you, Don.

Alan

Alan Eder, RPT
    Herb Alpert School of Music
    California Institute of the Arts
    Valencia, CA

• 28.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-17-2024 08:52
    As so often happens here, this discussion of unison tuning is happening at variance with the stated topic. No matter; it has been a valuable discussion, not to be taken for granted, and one to which I wish to contribute.

I just listened to some of Don Mannino's work on recordings of Earl Wild; it is very fine work and worth hearing for those who may not have had the opportunity, but even so, I find that what I aspire to is rather different. I like clean unisons.

Clean unisons are sometimes criticized as "lifeless". But, I find that to the extent that one can eliminate the sound of differing frequencies between the strings of the unison, one can hear the actual sound of the piano strings themselves with all its inherent instability. This is not "lifeless"! As a matter of fact, as the unison beating disappears through careful tuning, one can often hear an extremely subtle movement in the sound that I can only describe as a pleasant "swirling". I've always thought of this as piano tone at its most elemental. I sometimes hypothesize that this swirling is the result of string coupling battling it out with the inherent instability of vibrating piano strings.

Clean unisons are sometimes criticized as causing individual notes to "stick out" because of their "excessive" clarity. With a smile on my face, I would suggest that the proper course of action might be to tune the rest of the unisons to match the clarity of the one sticking out, not the other way around!

Clean unisons have an important effect upon the tuning as a whole. It is often said that if one's unisons are off, one's temperament must also be off. This is true. I can already hear the protests; some may say, "Cracking the unisons for musical effect is so subtle that temperament will not be harmed." To which I might simply reply, "I strongly disagree." Aural tuners, after all, can hear "mistakes" that approach zero; temperament will be affected:

The cleaner the unisons, the more distinct will be the beat rates of the intervals formed by those unisons. That is, wide unisons will make the beat rates of intervals formed by those wide unisons fuzzy and indistinct. Think about it; to the extent that unisons have a frequency spread, more than one beat rate will be happening in any given interval formed by those wide unisons, garbling the result. The final test of good unisons, then, is to check one's temperament with all strips/mutes removed and all strings of the unisons sounding at once. (When running parallel intervals, and one interval has an indistinct beat rate, check the unisons!) With practice, then, clean unisons, will become an important component of a powerfully clean and coherent whole tuning.

Thanks for reading.

Sent from my iPad

• 29.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-17-2024 19:38
    In my practise of tuning unequal temperament I'm actually aiming for short decay unless held open by the sustain ;-) coupled with purity of intervals between notes - 7 perfect fifths and  3 or 4 near perfect thirds. This is a very different regime to that which normal tuning requires so I'm aiming for as pure unisons as possible. However, when one string is gently different giving half a phase difference over a second or so, there's something that's alive about the instrument that electronic digital "instruments" cannot match.

https://youtu.be/_52SJEgY2YU?t=303 might be an interesting example. This was a Yamaha C6, tuned one day, suffered cold overnight and a change of temperature covered by a blanket and then the auditorium space heating up. I didn't feel the need to touch it in the morning other than revoicing hammers and this recording was in performance in the afternoon so I really can't believe the unisons there are as perfect as when I'd left it the previous afternoon. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcP-a9r0kr8 was a tuning I did specifically for recording some examples. I'm aiming for perfect unisons but they might not be quite, and if not quite perhaps I'm not wholly annoyed with them.

There's another interesting phenomenon in the course of modern recording. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfqhL7UaB3Y was intended to be a perfect tuning as far as I'm concerned and with the perfection of pure intervals perhaps we have stillness in some chords audible in the Haydn slow movement https://youtu.be/rfqhL7UaB3Y?t=1020 that's unknown to most pianos - a good reason to aspire to total stillness in the unisons. But normally I record digitally but on this occasion ran a parallel Revox reel to reel tape . . . and the digital recorder failed to record the file on account of sudden battery death. However, I'm not using "Grand Master" standard tape but instead working through 40km of duplicating standard tape I bought years ago . . . so there's micro-drop-out but also the mechanical recorder itself introduces some "wow" or "flutter" vibrato of its own - and I'm not sure if the ?beauty of the notes at https://youtu.be/rfqhL7UaB3Y?t=422 comes through the tuning or the machine's vibrato.

We're very conditioned nowadays by the clincism of digital recording but recordings on 20th century technology weren't so clinical. This might affect our approaches to beats, audibility of beats and perfection of unisons.

Back to topic on single or multiple partials, for me it depends on the instrument. As a first iteration I'll often work the bass with a single partial which I've found to work but on instruments with three pedals I'll use centre sustain to hold down as many harmonic notes as possible - and match the broad spectrum of multiple harmonics to multiple scale notes above. Sometimes the single partial approach works fine and others one has to match the spectrum. It's very much instrument dependent and where purely machine tuning really doesn't achieve the most reliable results. Even when tuning by machine, it's important to use one's ears.

Best wishes

David P

--
    +44 1342 850594

• 30.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-19-2024 20:10
    Kent,

I did not tune on the Earl Wild CDs.  I tuned for him in concert only - Terry Otake tuned for his CDs and the Carnegie Hall live concert.  Earl asked for me to tune at Carnegie, and I wanted to, but I was already committed to teach at a PTG conference and couldn't mess them up by cancelling all of my classes!

I did 2 CDs with Tanya Gabrielian. The Bach 'Remix' album was the one that gives the best indication of my tuning and voicing sound, if you want to look that up.

Don Mannino

• 31.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-19-2024 21:45
    Sorry. My mistake. Thanks. The Gabrielian CDs sound very fine, of course.

Sent from my iPhone

• 32.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 00:06
    FWIW, personally I've never been a fan of deliberately detuning unisons either, just for practical reasons (I want them staying as close to pure for as long as possible). So I have no hands on experience to make an argument for that one...
    But there was one example I could kinda get behind in the documentary "Pianomania" -- the technician deliberately detuned them to give the notes more of a delayed "bloom" for a very specific recording situation. But that's a very specialized, controlled environment, and he acknowledged it was a lot of extra work to keep it sounding good as they inevitably drifted too far out of tune throughout the session. IIRC they didn't claim it increased volume, it just had a certain sound that suited the piece.
    Edit: but also see my reply to Don.

• 33.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 00:51

Don, I know you ascribe to having one string of the unison a bit askew from the other two strings. I understand your reasoning as to why, in your opinion, this makes a better tuning. However, our PTG tuning exam asks for perfect unisons. This results in a tuning somewhat different than you prefer. It doesn't make your tuning wrong and it doesn't make the PTG exam tuning wrong nor does it make Steve Norsworthy's tunings wrong either.  There's room in the big tent for differing of opinion. I just don't see why anyone needs to be persecuted for participating in a professional discussion where differing opinions are exchanged.

Linda Kay RPT
    Richmond CA
    (510) 910-0283

• 34.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 01:16

Linda, see my new reply to Don on item number 13. I will repeat it again below here...

See figure below.

Steve

Spread by 0.3 cents with 5dB LESS sustain

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 35.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 09:55

hi Linda,

the "perfect" unison as required by the PTG for passing the exam, has a spread of <20%  which leaves a lot of interpretation for all of us tuners to produce a tuning that is within 20% of being perfect in order to pass the exam. 

In reality, the PTG sets forth standards of what is considered an acceptable tuning within which we can be artistic in defining our personal preference. That's why, when various people listen to a piano that is freshly tuned, some of them will love the tuning while others might prefer a slightly different tuning.

I think that we as tuners are artists and develop our own style of tuning a piano in hopes that our customers will like it as well.

So, perfect might not be so perfect rather it leaves a <20%  wiggle room.  As long as we stay within this parameter, we should be good and you are right that as long as we do, none of our tunings aren't wrong which doesn't mean that our customers have to agree.

Peter

Peter Janssen
    Fort Myers FL
    (678) 416-8055

• 36.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 10:41

Hi Peter:

I don't think we have a 20% spread in tuning unisons on the exam.  I don't know the exact standard, but unisons that are 20 cents off are unacceptable.  Someone familiar with the exact number can post it.  There is a 80% passing grade on the exam, if that's what you're referring to, so ok 20% might be your number.  Whether one's unisons are a little off during the exam is probably not an artistic choice for a new tuner.  But more experienced tuners who deliberately spread unisons for various reasons is another thing entirely.  What is surprising to me is that we are taught, "Unisons, unisons, unisons", where tunings are judged.  The argument goes, if you have good unisons, even if your intervals are a little off, it will sound good.  Well, maybe, or maybe not.  If your intervals are good, but your unisons are off, who is going to be the judge?  You better know who that is. and you better know how to tune unisons well.  You'd be surprised how good people's ears are, even if they're new to playing piano.  What if the neighbor is a concert pianist?  They come over and say, "You just got this tuned?  They didn't do a very good job!"  You never know who is going to play it.  I believe that we need to be able to make perfect unisons (as far as possible by ear), before we branch off and make it an "artistic choice".  Otherwise, it's just being sloppy. 

For myself, I've always held that my unison tuning should be a "gold standard", and I have always tried to make them as clean as possible.  We've had this discussion over and over, and yes there is some leeway for making another choice to spread them intentionally.  But that should not be license to leave "good enough" alone.  After all, I promised as a Guild member to always do my best job.

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 37.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 10:50

When I took the exam, to fail a unison, it had to be be tuned poorly enough that it sounded bad aurally to a panel of RPTs, and then it had to be measured with an ETD to show that one string was at least 1 cent away from another string. So a unison with strings at +0.3, 0.0, and -0.7 cents would fail if the RPTs thought it sounded bad enough to measure. 

Anthony Willey, RPT

• 38.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 11:46

Hello Paul,

Sorry for my error. The less than 20% from perfect is the overall grade for passing the exam. The strings of a unison have to be within 1 cent just as Anthony explained.

I think that a 1 cent spread is very generous and personally, i don't like how it sounds.

I tune my unisons very clean and in my early beginning, they were so clean that i was often told it sounded too "sterile" so i went to an ever so slightly detuned 3rd string so it would produce a swelling of the note.

Peter

Hello Paul,
    Sorry for the confusion. 20% is the
    Peter Janssen
    Fort Myers FL
    (678) 416-8055

• 39.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 11:16
    Linda,

Thanks for your comment.  The unisons I tune would all pass the test.  They never sound out of tune, and are very close to dead on.

This one of the problems with talking about this topic - one should never leave unisons sounding out of tune, and I agree completely.  When I talk about it in classes I try to always demonstrate it so that people know I'm not advocating dirty unisons.

• 40.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 12:27

As we all know this is not a new topic. Gabriel Weinrich clearly exposed it back in 1979 in his SA article: "Coupled Motions..." and there was at least one article in the PT journal in years past having to do with intentional "non-consonant" tuning. 

Okay  let's temporarily forget about tuning artistic unisons (I do it and I'm proud of it) but let's look at something else. 

What's missing here is the fact that as Steve N. has brought to the attention of the hive (not necessarily in the most tactful manner),  that our mic-based ETD's have an inherent accuracy flaw that now (to my mind) calls into question the veracity of our tuning exam. If in fact the ETD can vary in its repeatable accuracy simply by moving it .5" and be off as much as .5cts this should raise alarm bells in all of us. It means our ability to accurately determine the 1ct allowed tolerance in unison exam could be challenged, and rightfully so!

He has developed a device that virtually eliminates this inherent fluctuation in pitch resolution, and as it turns out the ETD makers have KNOWN THIS right from the start but did want to talk about it (for quite obvious reasons). I have been on exams where the reading device has been moved all over the place. Now, I'm bothered by this, but I had assumed that the thing was completely accurate. Not quite. Especially now when it comes to measuring unisons...an applicant now has the reasonable chance of challenging the results. 

I suggest that we look at this from a more analytical standpoint of nothing else. This device has the potential of really upping our game in more ways than one. 

My .02

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 41.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 13:16
    No, I don't think the ETD makers suddenly have egg on their face.  I've really only talked to the Cybertuner and Tunelab folks personally, but IME they've always been quite open about what the software can and can't do.

For the master tuning that I watched, the people doing it understood quite well that mic placement mattered, and would move the device accordingly during the master tuning to get a stable reading.  While it's somewhat anecdotal, I think the video I posted earlier in the thread gives strong hints as to how this can be accomplished -- with TuneLab you'd be looking for places where the reading doesn't suddenly dip or rise dramatically compared to the steady (and quite reproducible) state we see later in the attack.  It's fiddly I admit, but used properly I think we're getting closer to 0.2-0.3c spread (at the worst) in the midrange, as I demonstrated.  Cybertuner has its own ways of indicating whether or not it's getting a good reading; I don't have enough hands-on experience with it to explain the procedures.

Furthermore, the exam process has always treated the ETD readings with a measure of suspicion.  This is why any point deduction has to be checked by ear before it counts.  Yes, I realize that aural checks are probably limited to more like the 0.2-0.3c range in terms of how precise they can be, but they're certainly better than 0.5c.  I can hear better than that on a midrange unison (assuming it's a fairly "clean" note, i.e. no false beats, good hammer-to-string mating), and I wouldn't even consider myself a top-notch aural tuner -- I'd have to "bone up" a bit if I wanted to pass at the CTE level.

This really gets at the heart of what's been concerning me for weeks about a subset of the material being posted on Pianosens.  Much if it is good data and information.  Some of it (and I've done my best to point it out when it's happened) starts to look like FUD marketing.

Otherwise, I have nothing wrong with continuing to explore and investigate.  

• 42.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 14:39

I provide a 'community service' because who else is actually qualified and willing to do this work, Nathan? FUD marketing is an inappropriate remark. The income from this is lunch money to me because I have 45 years of being a full time engineer. I expect your reconsideration of the comment.

I would also suggest your number of comments exceeds others and that you slow down and let others opine, like Peter Janssen's most recent comment.

Steven Norsworthy

http://RF2BITS.com

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 43.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 15:27

It doesn't really matter whether the effect is physical or psychoacoustic as both are integral to "listening". Certainly where shape and tone are being considered, psychoacoustics come into play and this can defy physical measurement. 

Steven, you are well qualified to expound on physical measurements. Your qualifications as an arbiter of musical values, weighed against the many hundreds of years of practical experience accumulated by the participants of this forum are thin to say the least. Music, as is piano tuning, is all about listening, graphs not withstanding, you should try it.

Next week I'll be tuning again for the only concert artist ever who criticized my tuning style, Hiromi Uehara told me my unisons were too pure, indeed I'd been a little lazy in the 6th octave and relied overmuch on the ETD and she caught it. She did like my work enough to have me continue through the series, with slightly livelier unisons. Looking forward to that.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 44.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 15:32
    Steven R., do you know my musical resume? Your comment is inappropriate and unfounded.

• 45.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 15:44

Steve, you're not the only one here with a musical resume. Someone with your background should know better than to make some the assertions that you have made. Consider what the end product of a piano tuning is. Beauty, emotional impact, intellectual content, your graphs do not speak to this.

My point that you should try listening to your ostensible colleagues rather than being so defensive seems to be going over your head.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 46.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 15:51

You are just being overly argumentative and wishing to demean me without objective proof, and false allegations, and I suggest you don’t hog the space but let others in. Be respectful.

I also suggest you read Peter Grey and Peter Janssen comments… I would put Peter Grey’s aural tuning ability way above most.

• 47.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 15:33

Nathan, 

The issue of repeatability with these units was one (of several) that caused me to "discard" them years ago as being not the time and effort saver (for me) that they were represented to be. I'm not the only one to have recorded a tuning I felt was worthy of duplication 6 months from now or even a month, just to find out that when applying the "recorded" readings to the same instrument it was NOT the same result. This happened enough times (IOW not just a fluke) that I finally concluded that it was not worth the effort to keep it up, in fact it was taking MORE time and effort than if I simply tuned it aurally as usual. 

As I have found out (doing my own testing), that this is essentiallydue precisely to what Steve N. has published here and elsewhere. It is a fundamental "design feature" as a mic-based system. It's ability to resolve a pitch accurately is dependent on its ability to "hear" the pitch accurately. Unfortunately it turns out that the "garbage" that is included in between the hammer strike and the ETD's "brain" essentially clouds its thinking. 

Now I know (and you and everybody else knows) that .5ct or even 1ct does not amount to a whole lot of difference  generally speaking, in a typical tuning scenario. And, Doc Sanderson figured this all into the exam with tolerances and percentages to be reasonable. No contest there. The idea of moving the unit to "hear" a stable signal does not automatically mean that the "stable" signal is an accurate signal. And the operator had NO WAY of verifying one way or another. It is ASSUMED that the stable signal is accurate. This has now been proven (I've done it myself and it was a revelation) to be a fact. It MIGHT be accurate but it might also be far enough off so as to skew the results. 

On the larger portion of the exam I don't think it's a big deal. However I've seen enough instances in the unison portion of the exam where this inaccuracy potential could make or break an applicant's score. But we ASSUMED we were being accurate..."the machine doesn't lie..." no it does not, but as everyone in the computer world knows...GIGO!

Examiners have no way of verifying the true accuracy of the device they are using in this context. Now, there is a way to verify it and you and others should be thanking Steve N. for doing the R&D on this. Instead of determinedly trying to drive him away (okay so maybe he's a little hard to deal with sometimes...aren't we all?), you should be saying: "This is a very interesting development and I think it needs to be tested out...put it to use and use it as a MEASUREMENT tool!"

Forget about opinions over hiw to tune a unison. Use it to look closely at your own work, how it can make you better, but especially since we perform rigorous examinations is it not incumbent upon "examiners" know they're using the most up to date and accurate equipment? 

Up till now most ETD's provided "the best we could achieve". Good. All well and good. Now we actually have a truly accurate means to IMPROVE on the existing equipment. You and others should be welcoming it and putting your brains together to see how it can be used to raise the bar. I don't mean "tighten the tolerances" but rather make sure we're giving the applicant a truly fair shot on the exam. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 48.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 15:54

I agree it can likely be used to improve the consistency and fairness of exam scoring. 

I stand by my previous comments.  I appreciate SteveN's work, but if I continue to see numbers that don't add up with reality, or with what's actually being argued, I will continue to challenge them.

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 49.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 16:07

Nathan,

By what objective measure? We cannot have someone say, "Take my word for it" because it does not add up to their preconceived notion and they are not presenting objective countermeasures. I will accept your forthcoming apology for the FUD marketing remark, and for overly hogging the space. Just back down and let others like Peter Grey, Peter Janssen weigh in. 

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 50.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 16:32

It's all in the thread.  I think we can both agree I'm spammy enough without repeating all of it XD.

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 51.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 18:15

Nathan,

In case you have concluded that I have followed Steve N. blindly into this, simply taking his word for it, etc. , that would be am incorrect conclusion. No, rather I have listened to and debated with him on this unison issue. He and I DO NOT see eye to eye on the best way to tune unisons. But it doesn't matter because we respect each others viewpoint and remain free to do as we please with zero criticism. 

Actually, I was exposed to "sterile" unisons by my primary tuning mentor, Orman Pratt in DC. That guy could tune unisons aurally so clean and still that it was like ice. He presented all the same arguments that Steve N. has (except for the 6db volume increase), and handed me Gabriel Weinrich's article on the coupled motions of piano strings. 

The only problem was that, whereas others seemed to love his tunings, I was not a big fan of them. At the time I did not know WHY I didn't like them, they just did not "inspire" me in my playing. It took me years before I figured it out. 

Anyway, to get back to the subject at hand, I have no interest in tuning unisons to within .1ct because I don't like the way it sounds. But I quickly saw the potential of his device after seeing his presentation (for improving my own work). I suggest that others look at it similarly rather than thinking that "Academia Steve" is coming in here to show us all how wrong we are. That ain't the way it is. He has invited you to do your own research to prove or disprove his data and assertions. In fact that is exactly what I did. I tested out what he was claiming and found enough.evidence on my own to corroborate the essence of his claims. So I came to my own conclusion that he knows what he's talking about. His goal is to help us to raise "our own bar". He has experience in a field which eludes most of us and is willing to share it. That shouldn't be taken lightly. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 52.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 20:56

It is a reminder: unisons are the first thing we learn and the last thing we master. 

David Love RPT
    www.davidlovepianos.com
    davidlovepianos@comcast.net
    415 407 8320

• 53.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-15-2024 22:50
    1. Zero-cents tune the unisons across the entire piano, then 
    2. Go play the piano for 3 hours of practice including very dynamic piano literature, then 
    3. Go back an hour after that and check the unisons and record how much they drifted from zero cents, and then 
    4. Spread-tune them to your subjective liking and not to zero, and record the spread, then
    5. Go play the piano for 3 hours of practice including the same dynamic piano literature, then
    6. Go back an hour later and check the unisons and record how much they drifted from you spread-tuning, then
    7. Compare, and publish the result to the PTG forum and that will be very interesting to all.
    8. Did the spread from lots of playing hold up to your liking more than the spread from zero-cents tuning? That is a subjective determination but all should see the numbers. 

Steve N.

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 54.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-18-2024 10:18

Nathan went: Just for grins I shot a video of C4 using TuneLab.  Please pardon the crappy videography.  I get that you can't really test an app against itself, I just wanted to see how much its own output changed from position to position.

You don't need to apologize for the videography. It gives a very clear picture of the situation.

I'd like to suggest to all that the thumb-on-the-scale of ETD mic positions, while real, is actually of minor consequence. My use of TuneLab is limited to one-string-per-note in the central section and 7th octave of the piano (with all unisons, aural). In the former, the power in that section is loud enough that my ETD has plenty to work with in just one spot. In the 7th octave, because greatly reduced power, I do have to move the unit twice (at the most, three times) when the EDT gets to be 6-8" away from the note being tuned.

Also worth mentioning is that for Pianosens, proximity to the note being tuned is by design not an issue, doing its work within 1/8" of the string being measured.

If an ETD mic is rarely being moved, and if its chosen position is not at the far end of the piano from where one is working, this variance is (dare I say it? yeah, I double-dog dare you!) a red herring.

But, for full disclosure, I was fully convinced of Pianosens' value even before Peter Grey's NH Chapter demo.

William Ballard RPT
    WBPS
    Saxtons River VT
    802-869-9107

"Our lives contain a thousand springs
    and dies if one be gone
    Strange that a harp of a thousand strings
    should keep in tune so long."
    ...........Dr. Watts, "The Continental Harmony,1774

• 55.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-18-2024 13:11
    Hi Bill,

Thanks for the comments and time spent with Peter.

As for whether one mic position is good for everything, I seriously challenge that, and the data shows otherwise, despite our subjective instincts. That is your ‘double dog dare’ and I am taking you up on the ‘dare’. You saw the published numbers. There is no such thing as one position. Nodes are all over in space and one position may be suppressing important partials more than you think, and it is just physics. Only a systematic measurement experiment which includes moving the mic and recording the differences can show just how much one is ‘off’ and not knowing it. The other issue has to do with ‘at what time after the attack’ do we take the reading or even with our ears? Higher partials decay first. Piano power is virtually over at 1 sec and we cannot use our brains and ears and eyes to capture accurately in that time. It is humanly impossible and we need to use hardware and computation for that. Well, we can hear the difference when we use the advanced technology. We can’t do it humanly.

Best,
    Steve

• 56.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-18-2024 17:24
    I tuned a Boston Baby Grand this morning using PianoSens. It was an outstanding tuning. My customer was amazed. It made it easy to recommend easing the keys to make it easier for her to play. Also easier to recommend she tune it every 6 months rather than once a year so she will want to practice more and get more enjoyment from the piano. Not a premier piano, but nice hearing it perform to its potential.

Linda Kay, RPT
    itune88@comcast.net
    www.itune88.com
    510-910-0283 

"Let the beauty of what you love be what you do"...Rumi

• 57.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-18-2024 18:27

Hi Linda:

I had a similar experience.  The client was a touring artist with a new Steinway B.  I had done some finish repair and buffing, and I told her I was also a piano technician.  A few weeks later she hired me to tune the piano.  I used the Pianosens and Pianoscope.  A day or two later she left me a message, saying, "I can't stop playing the piano!".  I've never had a client send me this kind of compliment.  And it wasn't the only one.  Other clients told me the same thing.  I tune for the Shouthouse, two dueling pianos played by various artists.  They love my tunings, which I do every week. 

I'm glad to hear you're inspiring your clients who are appreciating your work and making it easier for you to book additional work to improve the piano.  How cool is that!  We all need that "wow" factor when we service our client's pianos.

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 58.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-18-2024 19:34

Steven N. went: As for whether one mic position is good for everything, I seriously challenge that, and the data shows otherwise, despite our subjective instincts. 

That was not the point I was making to Nathan. Rather, the many ways we had to make do in the era before Pianosens. He showed us the variance of mic readings at different locations. Each of us has to arrive at a mic reading we'd trust to tune with. (Personally, I thought his first two locations position stayed pretty steady, and would have trusted them). But that begs the question, does each note have its own cleanest spot for mic readings, and how many positions does he have to try before finding one he trusts. I'm confident in Nathan, that however he's doing this, he's leaving the piano nicely tuned.

I wouldn't have thought to do this, because I soon settled into my own routine: watching TuneLab's ¢ figures, discarding the outliers, and doing a running, seat-of-the-pants mental average to guess where the center of these scattered numbers would be. Prosaic, yes but remember that, in the pre PianoSens era, each of us had to figure out our own way of picking a reading we trusted. And, along with Nathan, I also finish my tunings in a reasonable time.

William Ballard RPT
    WBPS
    Saxtons River VT
    802-869-9107

and dies if one be gone

• 59.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-18-2024 15:59

Hey Bill,

Are you double dog daring me? 😉  😉 

I'm about to start fiddling around with this thing and I "should" make detailed notes this time (I'll try).  The only thing tunable and playable in the shop right now is a Steinway "40" (that I've already inquired about on another thread). I'll try to make it "scientific" as best I can.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 60.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-18-2024 19:51

Peter went: Are you double dog daring me? 😉  😉 

Sure am, you're the first person in our chapter with the hardware. No pressure to complete this quest, but if you know a good local piano you could get an hour on some weekend, or one of those rare outside tunings during your winter in the shop, it would be interesting to see the results. It's a simple enough exercise, that only minimal science is required. All that would be missing is a handful of peers to vouch that no further improvement was possible. But we trust you.

William Ballard RPT
    WBPS
    Saxtons River VT
    802-869-9107

and dies if one be gone

• 61.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-18-2024 21:31

I went: "Double dog dare…"

That was me summoning up the courage to call the issue of location variance a red herring. Like saying there's no point to comparing the fact that an apple's skin is edible and the orange's, not, because this aspect of each fruit is contained within its definition. 

William Ballard RPT
    WBPS
    Saxtons River VT
    802-869-9107

and dies if one be gone

• 62.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-18-2024 23:23

Okay...so the only thing I have available in the shop is this 40" SS console. Not a lot of fun, but I thought it would serve as a real world test of mic based variance vs sensor variance. Not highly scientific but I did take notes:

Using Tunelab on my Android phone I set it up on a magnetic base holding device which keeps it solidly in position. Measured IH per TL protocol abd proceeded to tune just the middle strings of the center section (strip muted) letting TL make all the decisions (no questions asked, no answers given).  The range is from F3-G#5. Here are my notes:

Round 1

F3-F4...significant wide swings, sharp and flat (the display), rarely settles, hard to get it to settle solid at ZERO

F#4-E5...serious jiggling back and forth, IMPOSSIBLE to get a solid reading, can only strike a 'balance' between sharp and flat, NO ZERO

F5-G#5...reasonably solid at ZERO, close but not perfect

C5...IMPOSSIBLE to know what to do with this note, all over the place

(Since it was 7-9 cents flat to begin with I pulled in the unisons and did the whole thing again on the center strings)

Round 2   Go back and check each note tuned:

1st time...approximately 75% of notes reading slightly flat (I didn't measure, just the fact that the display showed flat now)

2nd time...now only about 30% of notes read flat (interesting)

3rd time...estimate roughly 50% of notes read flat, a few now read sharp. 

After this I "corrected" everything to TL as best as I could (same difficulties as initially, nothing changed there)

Round 3   Check notes again then move ETD and recheck:

Moved ETD 1.5"...Everything OKAY until E4 which goes nuts slowly from .5 - 1.8 it's flat (this was kind of weird)

C5-G#5...showing 1.5 - 2 cts flat almost universally

Moved ETD 12" towards the treble...D4 1.7cts sharp, C5 3.6 cts flat, D5 2.5 cts flat, D#5 3cts flat, E5 3.7 cts flat, and at this point I threw in the towel. 

Now I plugged in Pianosens for a comparison:  Instantly about 90% more stable, notes impossible to read previously now easily read, not perfect but WAY better. No jitter, no wiggling, yes some detection of audible false beats but resolution very manageable. Had I tuned using the sensor from the beginning would easily been done far quicker. I decided at this point to tune the unisons while still using the sensor. Yes, it's a little clunky because I'm not used to it, but TL did not read any strings previously tuned as having moved sharp or flat. 

Okay, likely someone is going to claim that because I had already tuned and retuned the strings several times by the time I started using the sensor that they were now much more stable than earlier. I get that. However strings that are properly set (and I do know how to do that) do not move around as randomly as the initial readings were showing due to operator error (me not setting strings properly). 

My take on it is that the ETD performance was greatly enhanced with the use of the sensor. Had I been trying to actually tune the piano with the mic only I would have given up in disgust and just done it over by ear. Had I been using the sensor I would have continued throughout with it. 

Again, I'm sure some will question various things here but I'm convinced that there was serious variance of pitch resolution using the mic, and virtually (repeat virtually) and greatly reduced variance with the sensor. This is just one sample so far. 

I'll answer questions if there are any. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 63.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-19-2024 12:08

Okay, a further update:

I am now seriously impressed with this thing. I have found that moving up into the treble area is far less problematic than i.had anticipated. All it takes is a little ingenuity with wire routing and the problem is solved. It fits nicely right next to the note being tuned and reads it with no problem.  

I was even able to read, tune, and "hide" some nasty false beats, and end up with surprisingly nice unisons. I'm not kidding and I even surprised myself. The sensor in conjunction with Tunelab is a surprisingly effective combination. I'm actually starting have fun.

Panacea for all piano ills?  No. But it definitely opens up possibilities heretofore problematic (at least for me...others may have different solutions and that's fine with me) for many tuners.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 64.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-20-2024 01:11

Ladies and Gentlemen:

Steven Norsworthy will not be posting here or answering any more questions on the forums.  He has set up a Facebook page "Pianosens" if you wish to continue to engage with him and other users.  Here is his Youtube link to view the numerous videos he has created: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4CSC6zc8IQw1DX4J1r-fJwhttps://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4CSC6zc8IQw1DX4J1r-fJw

Steve will be continuing his research on string behavior and the use of his sensor.  Some of this information will be available on his FB page.  He also has a website "Pianosens.com" for more information about the sensor. 

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 65.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-20-2024 07:19

Paul,

Nonetheless we can still discuss it here among ourselves, can we not? I think it is a significant development in tuning technology. And not just for ETD users but even for aurally based tuners as the headphone jack brings the sensor pickup in info straight to the ears in a volume controlled manner. Again, it is not a panacea, but with a little getting used to gives another perspective on the matter, reducing some of the falseness on some notes, especially up in the treble. 

Of course I can already hear the cry: "but we don't listen to the piano that way...", however a good unison is a good unison and thus far (again in my limited usage) I have been able to produce very good unisons with this assistance (and obviously you can control the volume). I will continue to use it and uncover it's capabilities, though I'm not in my regular tuning season here in NE. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 66.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-20-2024 08:46

Yes, of course this thread can continue. 

The pure sound of a string coming through the sensor is so clean, it's not hard to understand how much better it is for an ETD.  All the extraneous resonances are gone.  My experience using it has been that it is best placed near the ends of the string, even up against the bridge, for the steadiest readings.  I haven't tried using headphones to listen to this, so I'll have to try it. 

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 67.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-20-2024 14:16

Paul,

I believe he has even newer information about string behavior to share as well that can answer some questions many of us have had for a long time. Looking forward to it. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 68.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-20-2024 14:28

Peter, watch out you don't get hog tied with all those wires. jk 

Seriously, I wonder if you can put on a bluetooth dongle for the headphones. There may, or may not be a latency issue.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 69.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-20-2024 14:40

My reading of earlier posts indicated Bluetooth significantly interfered with operating PianoSens with ETD apps. I'm sure Paul can elaborate.

Patrick Draine RPT
    Billerica MA
    (978) 663-9690

• 70.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-20-2024 15:15

Patrick, I recall that but this suggestion is for the output (headphone) side of the iRig. Though the problem might show up there as well, it's a straight audio signal as opposed to the digital conversion on the side that goes to the ETD app. 

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 71.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-20-2024 16:13

My understanding is that standard Bluetooth only supports a sample rate of 8000 Hz (telephone audio quality) which isn't high enough to resolve the top notes on a keyboard. If you ever have a client try to play C8 over the phone to you, you'll probably just hear silence. I know there are some newer Bluetooth codecs that support 16000 Hz and higher; I don't know how widespread they are. I'm sure there are other more elaborate options that could work too. For example, I have a Rode Wireless Go mic system where one side plugs into your phone, and the other side is a mic that can be placed anywhere without any wires connecting the two. It gives great audio. But it's also kind of pricey. 

Anthony Willey, RPT

• 72.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-20-2024 17:19

I did not try to use Bluetooth with the sensor, but earlier I had tried Bluetooth headphones when I was using mics and limiters.  It was very disconcerting because of the latency.  There are different codecs for Bluetooth, and some are better than others.  But any latency throws off your coordination when you try to tune with it. 

I did look into using wireless technology with the prototypes, but Steve told me that it would be noisy and have much less fidelity with Bluetooth, or any wireless technology.  The real problem with all of this is the noise floor and the gain or strength of the sensor pickup.  The sensor has to be able to pick up enough energy from the vibrating string, and having the iRig preamp increases the signal to a higher level that the ETD's can use.  But if there is noise from the sensor, that noise gets amplified along with the signal.  So, this doesn't improve things.  If the wireless system has noise, that's going to be a problem too.  The other thing that we have to deal with is the accuracy of the information being fed to the ETD.  How would we even know if the pitch calculation is correct, given the presence of noise in the signal?  Adding to that is the bulk that the electronics and a battery would add to the sensor.  In the end, we agreed the best solution is to use the wired version for its small size and clean signal. 

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 73.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-20-2024 23:10

I found no latency at all with plug in headphones. I was very surprised in the treble region with just how much weirdness was NOT there in the headphones but was there without. Another thing to get used to. Yes, another wire isn't the best, but I'm working on a little hack to improve that.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 74.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-22-2024 07:58

I'm now pretty impressed with the ability to tune in a noisy environment. Once the sensor is connected  the device is now "stone deaf" to anything other than what you want it to hear. I can tune with a brass band playing next to me and the device doesn't hear a thing other than the string. Impressive!

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 75.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-26-2024 00:34

Here is the latest video from Steve, demonstrating two examples of mic placement, showing the inaccurate readings on two pianos.  It is understood that pianos have two modes of vibration, each producing a slightly different frequency.  Thus actually, every string has a "false beat" in it, even if it is not heard.  Hard to believe, but it's true.  Our ETD's are not able to pick one or the other consistently, and so they "blend" them together.  Steve gives a technical explanation, which might seem cryptic to some.  Basically, using a mic with our ETD's can give erroneous results, depending upon where they are placed inside the piano.  This video shows proof of this phenomenon, and is not using any of our ETD's to evaluate the results.  The analysis is done by Matlab, a separate engineering program running on a computer.  The cost of this program is about $20k. (I hope I got that right).  What Matlab shows is that our ETD apps are not as accurate as we believe.  And that mic placement problems are a source of inaccuracies.  Only a sensor, which is picking up string vibration only, is able to avoid these problems. 

https://youtu.be/LPG32Kr1nKM

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 76.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-26-2024 12:56

I just want to dispel some of the mysticism about Matlab. It's just a computer program, and it doesn't cost $20k. Anybody here can buy Matlab as a home user for $150. (If you're a professional using it to earn money, it's more expensive, around $2,500.) But there's nothing uniquely special about Matlab. Like any tool, it's only as useful as the person wielding it. Matlab is really good at number crunching and it gives you easy access to a lot of powerful algorithms, but it's not the only number cruncher out there. With some extra time and effort you could get the exact same results in lots of other programs or programming languages. Math is platform independent :-)

In summary: what you do with a computer program is more important than its cost. Nobody should say "This financial analysis is accurate because I did it in a powerful spreadsheet program called Excel" or "This tuning is stable because I did it with a high end $500 tuning lever." The same goes for Matlab. 

Final note: if people want to engage with this topic in a forum where Steve can respond directly, there's a discussion over on PianoWorld. 

Edit: Oh, and lest anyone misinterpret, I'm not suggesting in any way that Steve isn't highly capable with Matlab. 

Anthony Willey, RPT

• 77.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-26-2024 15:11

From Steve: "Matlab has over 5 million users worldwide and is installed in over 6500 universities worldwide. The yearly fee is $1000 and that does not include all the toolboxes and add-on's that bring it to many thousands per year."

Right. None of this was to dis Matlab or your research. I love Matlab and highly recommend it. I just wanted to push back against the implication that the cost of the tool is the important factor. I won't argue the point further. 

Anthony Willey, RPT

• 78.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-26-2024 22:31

Here is Steve's latest video rebutting the idea that there is no decay of frequency over time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bohjZwy6JNM 

Using a concert grand piano, and using Matlab-based frequency analysis and the best-known inter-bin interpolation, the pitch of the note C2 drops 1.8 cents in 1.5 sec after the attack, and drops a total of 3.2 cents 3 sec after the attack. I was challenged by the assertion that the pitch does not drop after 0.5 sec. This is proof to the contrary. It all has to do with the nonlinearity of the piano string. Frequency decay along with amplitude decay is a known phenomenon in 'spring theory.'

Name the piece in the piano literature that has a long single-note non-pedal sustain with no other notes. That piece does not exist unless John Cage wrote it! It is totally academic to tune that way. It results in large errors. It is not musically founded. I stick to my original post on this. The reason tuners don't tune to the attack is that they do not have the Freeze function.

Steve
    I'm forwarding this information on behalf of Steve.  If you have any questions, you can reply privately to me, or Steve.

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 79.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-26-2024 23:05
    Hi, Paul,

Steve was banned. Please do not join him.

He now has plenty of other places to post; and should be encouraged to
    do so there.

Kind regards.

Horace

On 2/26/2024 7:30 PM, Paul McCloud via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    > Here is Steve's latest video rebutting the idea that there is no decay of frequency over time:
    >
    >
    > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bohjZwy6JNM <https: www.youtube.com/watch?v="bohjZwy6JNM">
    >
    > Using a concert grand piano, and using Matlab-based frequency analysis and the best-known inter-bin interpolation, the pitch of the note C2 drops 1.8 cents in 1.5 sec after the attack, and drops a total of 3.2 cents 3 sec after the attack. I was challenged by the assertion that the pitch does not drop after 0.5 sec. This is proof to the contrary. It all has to do with the nonlinearity of the piano string. Frequency decay along with amplitude decay is a known phenomenon in 'spring theory.'
    >
    > Name the piece in the piano literature that has a long single-note non-pedal sustain with no other notes. That piece does not exist unless John Cage wrote it! It is totally academic to tune that way. It results in large errors. It is not musically founded. I stick to my original post on this. The reason tuners don't tune to the attack is that they do not have the Freeze function.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > I'm forwarding this information on behalf of Steve. If you have any questions, you can reply privately to me, or Steve.
    >
    > ------------------------------
    > Paul McCloud, RPT
    > Accutone Piano Service
    > www.AccutonePianoService.com
    > pavadasa@gmail.com
    > -------------------------------------------
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-14-2024 18:47
    > From: Steven Norsworthy
    > Subject: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...
    >
    >
    > We had a lively discussion last night at the South Bay PTG where I gave a class.
    >
    > One of the issues is whether we tune with a single partial or with multiple partials. If an app choses a single partial for tuning, we could be lucky to see virtually no difference where the mic was placed. But if we are unlucky we could get more than a 1 cent error range with a small mic placement movement. It is not that the movement creates a different frequency, but it creates a different resolution of that frequency.
    >
    > Here is an example. Using the note C4 on a 7' grand piano, the mic was moved around to 9 different physical positions above the soundboard in reasonable locations that a tuner could place an iPhone. The .wav files were captured and analyzed in Matlab. The result was the following spread of errors with respect to placement. The data is below. Notice the sign of one relative to the other.
    >
    > Partial 2: -0.88 cents
    >
    > Partial 3: -0.10 cents
    >
    > Partial 4: +0.93 cents
    >
    > Partial 5: -0.47 cents
    >
    > Partial 6: +0.79 cents
    >
    > Depending on the tuning app, if it tunes on one partial, it could either be lucky (-0.1 cents) or unlucky (+0.93 cents).
    >
    > Alternatively, if the app tunes by trying to fit the data statistically, it could use a mean, median, or standard deviation.
    >
    > mean = 0.0540
    >
    > median = -0.1000
    >
    > std. dev. = 0.7874
    >
    > range = 1.8100
    >
    > A string sensor will not have these variances because small placement changes are inconsequential and produce one answer. Then it is up to the IH curve fitting in the app to make sure the measurements align with the IH initial calculations, thus ensuring we have extremely low variance and can trust the answer with more confidence.
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Steven Norsworthy
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Steven Norsworthy
    > Cardiff By The Sea CA
    > (619) 964-0101
    >
    >
    > Reply to Sender : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=773303&SenderKey=6c1b221d-e5f6-431a-b2bf-8c22c7893fca
    >
    > Reply to Discussion : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=773303
    >
    >
    >
    > You are subscribed to "Pianotech" as horacegreeleypiano@sonic.net. To change your subscriptions, go to http://my.ptg.org/preferences?section=Subscriptions. To unsubscribe from this community discussion, go to http://my.ptg.org/HigherLogic/eGroups/Unsubscribe.aspx?UserKey=18d8c323-aa1d-4526-8bf1-a6805870cbe6&sKey=KeyRemoved&GroupKey=2bb4ebe8-4dba-4640-ae67-111903beaddf.
    >

• 80.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-27-2024 00:02

Hi Horace:

I don't see what your objection is.  There's no mention of his product or any objectionable language here. 

There was a comment made elsewhere that the pitch of a string doesn't decrease over time, and he's simply proving that statement wrong in this video. He's doing research, spending a lot of time presenting information that we can all use, and proving his points.  He does not say anything that he's speculating on.  There is a lot of misunderstanding of piano physics being promoted, and he is shining a light on all of it.  He has the tools and experience to test these ideas and analyze what is happening, to prove or disprove what we've been told.  Some research has been done before years ago, which is not generally known but available if you look it up.  And he is doing that.  But we technicians are not interested to do that.  We just accept whatever some "expert" says.  And there's a lot we assume to be true, but isn't.  That's what he's trying to show us.  I know, sometimes he can be quite insistent, and it's hard to take.  But we should be cheering him for the information he's revealing to us, because there's no one else on the planet who is as qualified and has the expertise to do what he's doing.  You couldn't afford to pay him if he were to charge for it.  If you don't find it interesting or useful, just ignore it.  But there are many on here that are interested.  Don't shoot the messenger, please.

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 81.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-27-2024 01:44
    Hi, Paul,

You wrote:

"If you don't find it interesting or useful, just ignore it. But there
    are many on here that are interested. Don't shoot the messenger, please."

Perhaps there are many here who are interested. That is why it is good
    that Mr. Norsworthy has appeared on FB and PianoWorld.

The point here is that, as Mr. Norsworthy has at least two other podia,
    cross posting for him here would seem to be to be working to directly
    subvert the intent of his banishment, however temporary that might turn
    out to be.

Further, you previously quoted Mr. Norsworthy as saying:

"Name the piece in the piano literature that has a long single-note
    non-pedal sustain with no other notes. That piece does not exist unless
    John Cage wrote it! It is totally academic to tune that way. It results
    in large errors. It is not musically founded."

The speaks of a lack of knowledge of the range and domain of piano
    literature. It also speaks of a lack of knowledge of how many
    performing artists actually use the piano in recording and performance.

Also, and, only FWIW, Mr. Norsworthy is not the only person to have
    spent some considerable time researching such things. Many, some at
    least equally as brilliant, have come before; and some of the same,
    will, no doubt, come after. So, when you write:

" Some research has been done before years ago, which is not generally
    known but available if you look it up. And he is doing that. But we
    technicians are not interested to do that."

...realize that, while it might be true for some; but it is, most
    certainly not true for all.

I will not be continuing in this thread. The issues speak for
    themselves; and do not require additional comment.

Kind regards.

Horace

On 2/26/2024 9:01 PM, Paul McCloud via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    > Hi Horace:
    >
    >
    > I don't see what your objection is. There's no mention of his product or any objectionable language here.
    >
    >
    > There was a comment made elsewhere that the pitch of a string doesn't decrease over time, and he's simply proving that statement wrong in this video. He's doing research, spending a lot of time presenting information that we can all use, and proving his points. He does not say anything that he's speculating on. There is a lot of misunderstanding of piano physics being promoted, and he is shining a light on all of it. He has the tools and experience to test these ideas and analyze what is happening, to prove or disprove what we've been told. Some research has been done before years ago, which is not generally known but available if you look it up. And he is doing that. But we technicians are not interested to do that. We just accept whatever some "expert" says. And there's a lot we assume to be true, but isn't. That's what he's trying to show us. I know, sometimes he can be quite insistent, and it's hard to take. But we should be cheering him for the information !
    he's
    > revealing to us, because there's no one else on the planet who is as qualified and has the expertise to do what he's doing. You couldn't afford to pay him if he were to charge for it. If you don't find it interesting or useful, just ignore it. But there are many on here that are interested. Don't shoot the messenger, please.
    >
    >
    > Paul McCloud, RPT
    > Accutone Piano Service
    > www.AccutonePianoService.com
    > pavadasa@gmail.com
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-26-2024 23:05
    > From: Horace Greeley
    >
    > Hi, Paul,
    >
    > Steve was banned. Please do not join him.
    >
    > He now has plenty of other places to post; and should be encouraged to
    > do so there.
    >
    > Kind regards.
    >
    > Horace
    >
    > On 2/26/2024 7:30 PM, Paul McCloud via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    >> Here is Steve's latest video rebutting the idea that there is no decay of frequency over time:
    >>
    >>
    >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bohjZwy6JNM <https: www.youtube.com/watch?v="bohjZwy6JNM">
    >
    > Reply to Sender : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=773305&SenderKey=6c1b221d-e5f6-431a-b2bf-8c22c7893fca
    >
    > Reply to Discussion : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=773305
    >
    >
    >
    > You are subscribed to "Pianotech" as horacegreeleypiano@sonic.net. To change your subscriptions, go to http://my.ptg.org/preferences?section=Subscriptions. To unsubscribe from this community discussion, go to http://my.ptg.org/HigherLogic/eGroups/Unsubscribe.aspx?UserKey=18d8c323-aa1d-4526-8bf1-a6805870cbe6&sKey=KeyRemoved&GroupKey=2bb4ebe8-4dba-4640-ae67-111903beaddf.
    >

• 82.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-27-2024 02:43

Hi Horace:

Ok, your points are well taken.   Maybe you don't like his interactions, or maybe his promoting his device.  Fair enough.  But there is no reason to limit the discussion just because he isn't personally on here. 

As far as his quote, "Name the piece in the piano literature that has a long single-note
    non-pedal sustain with no other notes. That piece does not exist unless
    John Cage wrote it! It is totally academic to tune that way. It results
    in large errors. It is not musically founded." 

His point is that tuning should be done in a way that is not how we've been doing it, which is during the immediate attack phase.  Previously, this was not possible because we humans can't do it.  Now with modern technology, it is possible to tune a string by measuring it within a second.  The ability to capture a slice of time and measure the pitch is necessary for this new tuning system.  Otherwise, the overtones which we use are fading fast as we wait for the string to "settle down".  He has been showing us in these videos that as time goes on, the pitch is also going down.  That means if we tune past that short window of time, the accuracy is degrading.  In his statement, he says that there is no piano literature or composition that specifies playing a single note for more than 3 seconds by itself.  That is true.  But we're tuning pianos in a slow mode that is not the same way a piano is played.  The pitch needs to be measured when it's the most important, which is in the attack.  That's why he's saying there are inaccuracies or "large errors" when you tune during the decay.  Part of the reason is because we didn't have the technology to tune the attack with accuracy. 

There is an implied idea that Steve has no musical background, that he has no idea what he's talking about musically.  But that would be a mistake, since he has also degrees in music, and was a music professor.  He is also a professional brass player.  So he's not just making things up.

As far as his research on these subjects, I'd bet that a lot of information from the past is not known by many rank and file tuners, myself included.  I'm not implying that others, such as yourself, are unaware of a lot of the past research.  Some of the research could not be taken farther because the testing equipment was not advanced enough.  And, with the advances in computer speed and the latest algorithms,  and devices, what they could not prove is now possible.  Going through this information, Steve has been able to utilize some of it to prove some of his own conclusions about the science of piano tuning and string behavior.

Personally, I appreciate your input and I've followed your posts over a long time.  Some of my comments above are not directed specifically to you, but for others to understand.  I do look forward to reading your future posts as you care to share your insights.  Feel free to contact me privately if you like.  And that invitation extends to anyone reading this.

Best,

Paul

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 83.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-27-2024 03:49

Paul, neither you nor I nor anyone can speak to how all piano tuners create a cohesive tuning. Certainly there are many means to that end. As an aural tuner I was well aware of how the pitch changes through the attack and envelope of a note and then in much more detail when I integrated an ETD. This has been discussed on this forum many times, it seems to me the consensus is that, as listeners, we find the pitch on the attack and should tune accordingly but listening through the duration has value too, unisons must sound good on the sustain and that might require some compromise. This is all fairly well known. 

I do think this pitch freeze capability is useful and I hope it becomes generally available. 

I think one valuable thing I've gleaned from these recent discussions is that "using acoustical means to achieve psychoacoustic ends" is a pretty good definition of Musicality. It must be remembered that the end result of our work is sensorial, not a picture on a screen or nice rows of numbers. Our ears are not microphones and our brains do not process sound the way digital devices do. There's no point in second guessing how different people can achieve sometimes glorious results; it's something to be celebrated. Certainly there are any number of wonderful tunings that can be achieved on the same instrument. 

Fixed tuned instruments are fairly rare in the musical world, the distinctions we make, as piano tuners, of a few thousandths of a semitone are really fine when compared to voice, winds or string instruments which can employ vibratos of many cents as a matter of custom.We don't need a composition for piano to hold a single note for 3 seconds to experience the effect of the pitch change of a string, it can be perceived  in less than half that time nor does it have to be a single note. But in music, this is a feature, not a flaw. This is the sonic environment in which we "play" music.

We can't loose sight of the forest by fixating on the trees. 

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 84.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-27-2024 19:35
    Hi, Steven,

Spot on.

Kind regards.

Horace

On 2/27/2024 12:49 AM, Steven Rosenthal via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    > Paul, neither you nor I nor anyone can speak to how all piano tuners create a cohesive tuning. Certainly there are many means to that end. As an aural tuner I was well aware of how the pitch changes through the attack and envelope of a note and then in much more detail when I integrated an ETD. This has been discussed on this forum many times, it seems to me the consensus is that, as listeners, we find the pitch on the attack and should tune accordingly but listening through the duration has value too, unisons must sound good on the sustain and that might require some compromise. This is all fairly well known.
    >
    >
    > I do think this pitch freeze capability is useful and I hope it becomes generally available.
    >
    >
    > I think one valuable thing I've gleaned from these recent discussions is that "using acoustical means to achieve psychoacoustic ends" is a pretty good definition of Musicality. It must be remembered that the end result of our work is sensorial, not a picture on a screen or nice rows of numbers. Our ears are not microphones and our brains do not process sound the way digital devices do. There's no point in second guessing how different people can achieve sometimes glorious results; it's something to be celebrated. Certainly there are any number of wonderful tunings that can be achieved on the same instrument.
    >
    >
    > Fixed tuned instruments are fairly rare in the musical world, the distinctions we make, as piano tuners, of a few thousandths of a semitone are really fine when compared to voice, winds or string instruments which can employ vibratos of many cents as a matter of custom.We don't need a composition for piano to hold a single note for 3 seconds to experience the effect of the pitch change of a string, it can be perceived in less than half that time nor does it have to be a single note. But in music, this is a feature, not a flaw. This is the sonic environment in which we "play" music.
    >
    >
    > We can't loose sight of the forest by fixating on the trees.
    >
    >
    > Steven Rosenthal RPT
    > Honolulu HI
    > (808) 521-7129
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-27-2024 02:43
    > From: Paul McCloud
    >
    >
    > Hi Horace:
    >
    > Ok, your points are well taken. Maybe you don't like his interactions, or maybe his promoting his device. Fair enough. But there is no reason to limit the discussion just because he isn't personally on here.
    >
    > As far as his quote, "Name the piece in the piano literature that has a long single-note
    > non-pedal sustain with no other notes. That piece does not exist unless
    > John Cage wrote it! It is totally academic to tune that way. It results
    > in large errors. It is not musically founded."
    >
    > His point is that tuning should be done in a way that is not how we've been doing it, which is during the immediate attack phase. Previously, this was not possible because we humans can't do it. Now with modern technology, it is possible to tune a string by measuring it within a second. The ability to capture a slice of time and measure the pitch is necessary for this new tuning system. Otherwise, the overtones which we use are fading fast as we wait for the string to "settle down". He has been showing us in these videos that as time goes on, the pitch is also going down. That means if we tune past that short window of time, the accuracy is degrading. In his statement, he says that there is no piano literature or composition that specifies playing a single note for more than 3 seconds by itself. That is true. But we're tuning pianos in a slow mode that is not the same way a piano is played. The pitch needs to be measured when it's the most important, which is in !
    the
    > attack. That's why he's saying there are inaccuracies or "large errors" when you tune during the decay. Part of the reason is because we didn't have the technology to tune the attack with accuracy.
    >
    > There is an implied idea that Steve has no musical background, that he has no idea what he's talking about musically. But that would be a mistake, since he has also degrees in music, and was a music professor. He is also a professional brass player. So he's not just making things up.
    >
    > As far as his research on these subjects, I'd bet that a lot of information from the past is not known by many rank and file tuners, myself included. I'm not implying that others, such as yourself, are unaware of a lot of the past research. Some of the research could not be taken farther because the testing equipment was not advanced enough. And, with the advances in computer speed and the latest algorithms, and devices, what they could not prove is now possible. Going through this information, Steve has been able to utilize some of it to prove some of his own conclusions about the science of piano tuning and string behavior.
    >
    > Personally, I appreciate your input and I've followed your posts over a long time. Some of my comments above are not directed specifically to you, but for others to understand. I do look forward to reading your future posts as you care to share your insights. Feel free to contact me privately if you like. And that invitation extends to anyone reading this.
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Paul
    >
    >
    > Paul McCloud, RPT
    > Accutone Piano Service
    > www.AccutonePianoService.com <http: www.accutonepianoservice.com="">
    > pavadasa@gmail.com <pavadasa@gmail.com>
    >
    > Original Message:
    > Sent: 02-27-2024 01:44
    > From: Horace Greeley
    >
    > Hi, Paul,
    >
    > You wrote:
    >
    > "If you don't find it interesting or useful, just ignore it. But there
    > are many on here that are interested. Don't shoot the messenger, please."
    >
    > Perhaps there are many here who are interested. That is why it is good
    > that Mr. Norsworthy has appeared on FB and PianoWorld.
    >
    > The point here is that, as Mr. Norsworthy has at least two other podia,
    > cross posting for him here would seem to be to be working to directly
    > subvert the intent of his banishment, however temporary that might turn
    > out to be.
    >
    > Further, you previously quoted Mr. Norsworthy as saying:
    >
    > "Name the piece in the piano literature that has a long single-note
    > non-pedal sustain with no other notes. That piece does not exist unless
    > John Cage wrote it! It is totally academic to tune that way. It results
    > in large errors. It is not musically founded."
    >
    > The speaks of a lack of knowledge of the range and domain of piano
    > literature. It also speaks of a lack of knowledge of how many
    > performing artists actually use the piano in recording and performance.
    >
    > Also, and, only FWIW, Mr. Norsworthy is not the only person to have
    > spent some considerable time researching such things. Many, some at
    > least equally as brilliant, have come before; and some of the same,
    > will, no doubt, come after. So, when you write:
    >
    > " Some research has been done before years ago, which is not generally
    > known but available if you look it up. And he is doing that. But we
    > technicians are not interested to do that."
    >
    > ...realize that, while it might be true for some; but it is, most
    > certainly not true for all.
    >
    > I will not be continuing in this thread. The issues speak for
    > themselves; and do not require additional comment.
    >
    > Kind regards.
    >
    > Horace
    >
    > On 2/26/2024 9:01 PM, Paul McCloud via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    >> Hi Horace:
    >>
    >>
    >> I don't see what your objection is. There's no mention of his product or any objectionable language here.
    >>
    >>
    >> There was a comment made elsewhere that the pitch of a string doesn't decrease over time, and he's simply proving that statement wrong in this video. He's doing research, spending a lot of time presenting information that we can all use, and proving his points. He does not say anything that he's speculating on. There is a lot of misunderstanding of piano physics being promoted, and he is shining a light on all of it. He has the tools and experience to test these ideas and analyze what is happening, to prove or disprove what we've been told. Some research has been done before years ago, which is not generally known but available if you look it up. And he is doing that. But we technicians are not interested to do that. We just accept whatever some "expert" says. And there's a lot we assume to be true, but isn't. That's what he's trying to show us. I know, sometimes he can be quite insistent, and it's hard to take. But we should be cheering him for the information!
    !
    > he's
    >> revealing to us, because there's no one else on the planet who is as qualified and has the expertise to do what he's doing. You couldn't afford to pay him if he were to charge for it. If you don't find it interesting or useful, just ignore it. But there are many on here that are interested. Don't shoot the messenger, please.
    >>
    >>
    >> ------------------------------
    >> Paul McCloud, RPT
    >> Accutone Piano Service
    >> www.AccutonePianoService.com <http: www.accutonepianoservice.com="">
    >> pavadasa@gmail.com <pavadasa@gmail.com>
    >> ------------------------------
    >> -------------------------------------------
    >> Original Message:
    >> Sent: 02-26-2024 23:05
    >> From: Horace Greeley
    >> Subject: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...
    >>
    >> Hi, Paul,
    >>
    >> Steve was banned. Please do not join him.
    >>
    >> He now has plenty of other places to post; and should be encouraged to
    >> do so there.
    >>
    >> Kind regards.
    >>
    >> Horace
    >>
    >> On 2/26/2024 7:30 PM, Paul McCloud via Piano Technicians Guild wrote:
    >>> Here is Steve's latest video rebutting the idea that there is no decay of frequency over time:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bohjZwy6JNM <https: www.youtube.com/watch?v="bohjZwy6JNM">
    >
    > Reply to Sender : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=773313&SenderKey=c00e0499-4427-412a-aacc-25cba9f9c300
    >
    > Reply to Discussion : https://my.ptg.org/eGroups/PostReply/?GroupId=43&MID=773313
    >
    >
    >
    >

• 85.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-27-2024 21:58

Thank you Paul for sharing the videos and information from Steve. It would be a real shame if these or future posts from you got censored. These ideas and findings are worthy of discussion. 

Tim Michaels
    pianotechtim@gmail.com

• 86.  RE: Tune with a Single Partial or Multiple Partials? An Example...

Posted 02-27-2024 22:52

Hi Tim:

Appreciate your comments.  I'm just trying to share what I've learned and experienced.  I know there are folks out there like yourself who are genuinely interested in this discussion.  There is validity to all of the comments here because we have top-tier technicians giving their realizations from many years of experience.  I'm not on here to create controversy.  I'm finding some important information that I did not know before, and it's helping me make better tunings.  I'm a kind of perfectionist, as I'm sure most of us are, so any way I can find that gets me a more perfect tuning, I"m all over it.  We've all heard that we should tune to the decay in the bottom and middle registers, and tune the attack in the top octaves.  Which makes sense because the power decays very quickly in those top notes.  In about 1/5 of a second in that area, power is about 10 times less.  So, how are you going to use your ETD to get a reading in that short amount of time when the power is greatest?  The only way to do it is by "freezing" the measurement during that time period.  Yes, you can get some of this by listening.  But when you have this capability to actually measure it accurately to a few 10ths of a cent, it helps immensely.  The other part of tuning to the attack is that the pitch is varying a lot over time, generally flattening.  So if your ETD has to wait for the vibration to settle, you've lost the pitch and in fact you're still tuning to the decay. 

As far as forests to trees argument, sure, it's like soup- it's all in the tasting.  For myself, I am using the best software I can find and use the sensor so that I can get the cleanest sounding result.  And that makes it all the more musical, in my opinion.  It's one thing to use intonation of your instrument to blend your sound into the ensemble or orchestra, whatever.  Pianists can't do that.  You need the best placement of pitch right out of the gate, because that's all you have.  We get paid to hang out until intermission to touch up unisons or whatever because it's important to have a clean tuning in a concert situation.  On Grandma's old spinet, maybe not so much.  But you never know, Aunt Gertrude the concert pianist might come play on it! 

For me, I like the results I'm getting.  If you like your tunings and do it your way, who am I to suggest they're not good?  I like to think of it like a graph that we learned to make in high school.  You plot the points, then draw a line through all of them.  Aural tuning is like plotting the points, and the apps draw the line that you tune to.  Two ways to the middle.  Another analogy I think of is like a camera.  If your lens is a bit out of focus, you can still take a shot.  But if your lens is perfectly focused, the photo is much clearer and you can see details that were otherwise hidden.  I thought I was doing good unisons by ear.  That is, until I discovered that they weren't by using the app that showed how they were usually only within .5 to 1 cents.  That meant that I was not doing as good a job as I had assumed.  Oops!  I had to get better and try to make them within .2 cents or less.  Then came the realization that I was actually getting much better accuracy and better results than I was ever able to do with my ears.  My hope is that some of us will maybe see something here and look into it further.

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    pavadasa@gmail.com