Pianotech

• 1.  Two new Scams

Posted 03-10-2023 13:30

I received a scam email for a Steinway grand yesterday. One of my church Music Directors sent me an offer she got for a two year old Kawai RX-2 if she would pay for the shipping. She had no idea who the donor was but the email went to her church email which forwarded it to her private email. She was smart enough to not take the bait but the email was quite engaging. She did a little vetting and found that the sender was in Oregon. Digging deeper the transporter does not exist.

It appears they (scammers) are targeting churches, music teachers, music studios and us Technicians.

So bee on the lookout- the deal is too good to be true.  Anyone else recently get these 2 or similar cons ?

------------------------------
    James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 2.  RE: Two new Scams

Posted 03-10-2023 14:03

The choir director at one of my churches I tune at brought up that she had received a donation email from someone whose husband had died.  She said she had sent numerous emails offering to have someone move the piano, but had no response.  I told her it was a pure scam and that many folks are targeted who run music programs.  She was fairly disheartened when I told her that.  I can see how the scam would work for folks looking for a decent piano.

PATRICK GREENE
    OWNER
    Knoxville TN
    (865) 384-6582

• 3.  RE: Two new Scams

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 03-11-2023 09:03
    I periodically get these. Customers pass them on to me , all excited.
    So sad what people try to do for money.

Andrew J. Lyford, RPT
    Lyford Piano Works

• 4.  RE: Two new Scams

Posted 03-12-2023 09:42
    Hi Andy,

I get them periodically as well. Out of curiosity I actually called the number provided. It was a construction business up in southern Ohio. They were getting many phone calls.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Two new Scams

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 03-12-2023 12:34

Why do these scanners always seem to be a one way street? Why, with all the tech and brains (supposedly) available, is there no way to knock these people out? Turn the tables on them? 

Seems like the one and only way to not be affected is to actually just get completely off of and out of the internet...which I personally am getting closer to all the time. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Two new Scams

Posted 03-12-2023 13:18

Cases like this are not a priority for law enforcement which is already struggling with day to day issues. Identity theft is a huge problem as well as security breaches and the whole ransom ware issue. Despite promises that computer systems are secure they are anything but. Every day I get things in my email informing me that my account is being shut down unless I respond to the email, offers to share personal pictures, notices I won the Nigerian lottery or was in someones will, etc Things get by the email security that my host claims to have and the same goes with my cell phone. 

Hackers recently froze all of the computers in a local school district, a major hospital system, town government. Users where locked up and told to pay ransom.

There are ways to filter your emails if you want to spend time writing rules that will direct emails to spam boxes, hold boxes, sandboxes. 

I advise everyone to check their bank accounts constantly and to contest any charges they do not recognize. We have had several charges for merchandise and cash withdrawals we questioned. The bank investigated and found them to be fraudulent . The clue was the charges came from a major grocery store on the other side of the state. Regarding free pianos who would not like a grand piano free if you paid for shipping. 

Dressing up the offer with pictures makes it look legit and convincing. There will always people who will take the bait ....

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357