Pianotech

• 1.  Ukrainian piano tech organizations?

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 11-27-2022 18:37
    HI everyone,
    I'm passing this question on from a non-member:

"Assuming Ukraine wins and is secure and has begun rebuilding, I am planning a trip there to do some volunteer work.

Are you or the PTG aware of any piano technician organizations in Ukraine I might contact well in advance?

Failing that, even concert orgs, or piano dealers, or piano teacher associations or even individual tuners would be very helpful.

I've googled all this already but your (collective) info will be much better!

thanks!"

------------------------------
    Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

• 2.  RE: Ukrainian piano tech organizations?

Posted 11-27-2022 19:07
    Scott

To my knowledge there is no Ukrainian piano tuner's organization. But he should ask the secretary of the Polish Piano Congress if he knows any Ukranian piano tuners working in Poland. This is the only contact information I have. 

Pawel Olek, Director of SPSF.     

Wim

• 3.  RE: Ukrainian piano tech organizations?

Posted 11-27-2022 23:24
    Wim --

Seeing your reference to the Polish Piano Conference, and doing a little Googleing, revealed that there are a lot of huge gatherings, like PTG conventions and conferences, worldwide that I never new existed. I remember only one reference to something like this that PTG promoted a year or so ago, in Japan, but otherwise I've been in the dark. How can we get PTG to post more about these organizations and gatherings? Or would that be conflict of interest?

Geoff Sykes, RPT
    Los Angeles CA

• 4.  RE: Ukrainian piano tech organizations?

Posted 11-28-2022 14:59
    Hi Geoff

I don't think posting seminars from other piano tuner's organizations would be a conflict of interest. The only events the Journal prints are that are PTG sponsored. But then, I don't think anyone has ever asked for the dates of other organizations. 

That doesn't mean we can't or shouldn't. The main problem is, who should be responsible for that? Should someone in the HO spend time looking for other seminars around the world? Should I, as chairman of the International Relations Committee, be responsible for this? It's not that the HO or I couldn't, it's just that no one has been asked to do that. 

For starters, I will ask Barb if the Journal would post the information about other seminars? I'll let you know. 

Wim

• 5.  RE: Ukrainian piano tech organizations?

Posted 11-28-2022 09:31
    Scott, 

Several years ago we hosted a Ukraine Choir at our church. We kept several in our home. One of them was piano technician from Kiev. Using a translation app, we worked together on my grand piano in the studio and demonstrated his tuning process..  He reached out to me via FB in October with this messager:

Good day, Johnny! My name is Vlad Zhuravel, I am a piano tuner and restorer from Kyiv, Ukraine. If you remember, our choir was in your city, and a group of men lived in your studio. I tuned the piano for you) I want to tell you the situation we are facing today. During the start of hostilities by Russian troops on the territory of Ukraine, and in particular the Kyiv region, many settlements, residential buildings and educational institutions suffered from bombing, hostilities and looting. In particular, music schools. From mid-March, these territories were liberated by Ukrainian troops and the process of restoring infrastructure began and a normal, familiar life was established. Since September, the educational process began in general education schools, as well as in music schools. At the moment, for many students, the piano has become completely unusable and cannot be repaired, or requires serious restoration. Our restoration workshop "Pianotuning.Kyiv" is helping everyone who needs a piano. Donat is needed to purchase the necessary parts for piano repair, as well as to transport restored pianos. Our resource is exhausted, so we ask you for help. Any donation will allow novice pianists to return to the NORMAL life that was before the WAR. We will be grateful for any help! Sincerely, restoration workshop, "Pianotuning.Kyiv" PrivatBank: 4149499371297027 Paypal: pianotuning.kyiv@gmail.com email and my phone number: pianotuning.kyiv@gmail.com +380957009112 ( WhatsApp, Telegram)

Johnny Matlock
    Hays KS
    (785) 625-8486

• 6.  RE: Ukrainian piano tech organizations?

Posted 11-29-2022 23:17
    There use to be large piano manufacturing in town Chernihiv

Alexander Brusilovsky