Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

upright damper rod hinge

• 1.  upright damper rod hinge

Posted 03-21-2023 15:14

Looking for any info on upright damper rod hinges.  The one offered from Schaff is different from one needed and Pianotek doesn't offer one.  The piano is Weber upright I believe controlled by Young Chang.  The number I have for Young Chang is no longer in service, and on their website the contact page is dead.  I have run into this problem before with other pianos too and didn't have a solution.  Anyone have any ideas.

------------------------------
    H. Keith Stephens
    Grayson GA
    (770) 883-3108

• 2.  RE: upright damper rod hinge

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 03-21-2023 15:49
    Hi Keith

I know what you're talking about with the damper lifter rod brackets. If I remember correctly, the problem is that the distance from the screw hole to the sleeve where the rod inserts is too short. The way I solved that was to add a thin piece of leather or wood between the bracket and the action rail. And you have to bend the bracket a little. It's been a while since I've done this, and I only did it two or three times, so my memory is a little weak. But thy that and see if it works. 

Wim

• 3.  RE: upright damper rod hinge

Posted 03-21-2023 16:19

I have only just ordered a few of the hinges from Schaff knowing they would have to be manipulated somewhat.  the originals have a 90 degree bend, and  looks like the ones from Schaff are straight.  So, yeah, some adjustments will have to be made for this one to work.  Thanks for the feedback.

H. Keith Stephens
    Grayson GA
    (770) 883-3108

• 4.  RE: upright damper rod hinge

Posted 03-22-2023 13:11

It's usually the hinge nearest the lift rod that fails. If you need to "customize" something, which may not be as perfect as the original, I suggest placing it further away from the the broken one and replacing the broken one with one of the originals.

Jurgen Goering

• 5.  RE: upright damper rod hinge

Posted 03-22-2023 13:51

Wim speaks of the brackets, but it sounds to me like you are talking about the "hooks".  Yes, they come straight, so that they can be hammered into the hole on the damper lift rod.  Once secured in the rod, they need to bent to the the 90 degree angle.

Floyd Gadd RPT
    Regina SK
    (306) 502-9103

• 6.  RE: upright damper rod hinge

Posted 03-23-2023 16:58
    Thanks Floyd, but it is the bracket that is needed. The hook is still in place. The impaired bracket broke at the screw holes. Not enough material left to work with.

• 7.  RE: upright damper rod hinge

Posted 03-23-2023 16:55

Thank you Jurgen.  We will call the one closest to the lift rod #1. It is the one that failed.  I moved #2 into #1 position. However, it will not work properly without something in the #2 position.  I will see if I can make the one from Schaff work somehow when I get it.  I appreciate your input.

H. Keith Stephens
    Grayson GA
    (770) 883-3108

• 8.  RE: upright damper rod hinge

Posted 03-23-2023 17:19

Sorry to be so late to  the party here.  We didn't build this piano, but a lot of the hardware specs are the same.  It is possible that we may have what you're looking for.  I have attached a picture.  See if this might be what you need.  (There are 2 sizes.)

Thanks,

Jane Jones

Samick Music Corp.

615-206-0077, xt. 148

Veronica Jane Jones
    Piano Service Manager
    Samick Music Corporation
    Hendersonville, TN
    615-206-0077

• 9.  RE: upright damper rod hinge

Posted 03-24-2023 07:52

Hello Veronica,

This was a timely post by Keith.  I have a Hobart Cable console with the same problem.  How do we order parts from Samick or yourself?

I had also thought about pulling one off a console action I had lying around.

Thank you

Patrick

Patrick Greene
    OWNER
    Knoxville TN
    (865) 384-6582

• 10.  RE: upright damper rod hinge

Posted 03-24-2023 09:08

Hi Patrick!

You can contact me at 615-206-0077, xt. 148 or go directly to the parts order desk at xt. 101.

Thanks!

Jane

Veronica Jane Jones
    Piano Service Manager
    Samick Music Corporation
    Hendersonville, TN
    615-206-0077

• 11.  RE: upright damper rod hinge

Posted 03-24-2023 08:14

Hello Veronica, yes, this is the correct style hinge/bracket I'm looking for.  I will contact you for ordering.  Thank you for reaching out., Keith

H. Keith Stephens
    Grayson GA
    (770) 883-3108