CAUT

• 1.  very tight pin

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 07-09-2022 12:32
    I've got a little problem: I have a customer with a Steinway M. It was poorly restrung 30 years ago, but at this point I'm sure she doesn't want to pay for more work. Two pins, I think size 4, needed more torque, and took the opportunity to try and fix them while replacing two non-matching bass strings. I removed both pins, swabbed the inside of the holes with medium CA, and hammered them back in. One turned out well, the other is ridiculously tight, even after multiple tunings. I have a feeling the medium CA  is flexible enough to not wear in like the thin stuff. I can tune it, but I'm afraid one of these days I'm going to break the darn pin.

What are my options at this point? Remove the pin and try a smaller size? Ream the hole a bit, like with a gun-cleaning brush?
    thanks!

------------------------------
    Scott Cole, RPT
    rvpianotuner.com
    Talent, OR
    (541-601-9033

• 2.  RE: very tight pin

Posted 07-10-2022 15:37
    Wow-sorry you're having this issue. I would probably remove the pin & either ream it with the correct size reamer or perhaps use one of the wire brush tools that Schaff makes just for the purpose of "deglazing" the hole. (I think Protek sells the readers. I'm pretty sure I have the 3/0 and the 4/0 readers. From past jobs.)

Kevin Fortenberry
    Longview, TX 75602
    806-778-3962

• 3.  RE: very tight pin

Posted 07-11-2022 08:24

My apologies for the typos. I INTENDED to say "reamer" and "reamers". 

I'm almost certain Pianotek still sells these and many times they can be just perfect for problematic issues such as this. However, in your particular case-the wire brush tool from Schaff would probably be my first choice. Pretty fast and easy to chuck it up in a battery drill & run it into the hole about 2 times at slow speed. Don't move in & out slowly-just a quick down then out. But turning slowly in the drill. Hope this helps. I've had several pretty strange situations over the years-mostly music store situations, etc. 

Kevin Fortenberry
    Longview, TX 75602
    806-778-3962

• 4.  RE: very tight pin

Posted 07-11-2022 12:37
    I'd try detaching the coil, then back the pin out two or three turns.  Chances are it will be much improved.

• 5.  RE: very tight pin

Posted 07-11-2022 12:57
    Ken, that actually sounds like it would be worth a try. Kevin

Kevin Fortenberry
    Longview, TX 75602
    806-778-3962

• 6.  RE: very tight pin

Posted 07-12-2022 09:45

I should have said, back the pin out, then turn it back in again and reattach the coil.

Ken