Pianotech

• 1.  WD40 damage

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 03-02-2023 01:33

I am searching for a cure for a Baldwin M action which a previous tuner treated with WD40.  Repining or parts replacement are not financially possible for the customer.  I have searched for an answer, but all I've been able to find are arguments pro and con on using the stuff as a CPL.  Obviously it didn't work on this piano because every action center is sluggish.  Has anyone had success overcoming WD40 damage?  If so, how did you manage to do it?  Help.  I really want to make this lovely grand functional again within the customer's budget.

------------------------------
    James Johnson RPT
    Rancho Murieta CA
    (530) 409-8225

• 2.  RE: WD40 damage

Posted 03-02-2023 02:05

There are 704 felt bushings in the action, I think one has to be realistic about the cost of cleaning each one of them. WD40 isn't too friendly to the wood either. 

I hope you find a magic bullet but even then it could still be fairly laborious. There are the key bushings and back action as well if the previous tech was extra conscientious.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 3.  RE: WD40 damage

Posted 03-02-2023 02:07
    James

There is no cure or solvent for WD40. Even repinning won't solve the problem because the stuff has gotten into the felts and unless you also rebush, they will remain contaminated. 

I'm sorry, but the customer is up a creek. No matter what you do, the problem will not go away. Depending on how old the piano is, replacing all the parts might be the only solution. 

• 4.  RE: WD40 damage

Posted 03-02-2023 06:57

I've come across several of these actions.  The real truth is that WD40 has ruined the action, and turned the wood into mush.  But I have used Protek and other solvents to try to remove the sludge and make the parts work again.  I use compressed air (not from a can) after saturating the felt centers.  Which means a LOT of time, and really not worth the effort, though it does work.  I have not received any callbacks that I remember.  I would not advise doing this job unless there is  some overwhelming reason to proceed like sentimental value or unusual features.  The wood itself is now weakened and likely to break even just by tightening the flange screws.  Back in the day, WD40 probably cured a sluggish action by absorbing the moisture, which is what it's designed to do.  Spray the action, put it back in, collect the check, and book it outta there.  One-time fix.  Or maybe a few times once it gets sluggish again. 

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: WD40 damage

Posted 03-02-2023 07:02

Sounds like the former "tooner" should be found and demand the cost to replace the parts.

• 6.  RE: WD40 damage

Posted 03-02-2023 07:07

James,

I don't know if this would work but if it was me this is what I would try:

Use automotive starting fluid and soak the bushings and work them back and forth, repeatedly soaking them (the stuff evaporates very fast). On the last soak, use high pressure compressed air to blow it all out.  I would first experiment on one or two parts to see if it works. 

This process removes verdigris from infected Steinway actions (not permanently of course but it does work well in the short term). I suspect it could likewise dissolve and eradicate WD-40. It's worth a try. Use a mask, and do it outside as it's pretty smelly stuff and lingers for a while but will eventually dissipate. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: WD40 damage

Posted 03-02-2023 14:15

Auto starting fluid is dangerous to work with and should be used outdoors using hand, eye and breathing protection This means using chemical gloves, proper respirators not just a face mask and safety glasses . a face shield is also good. The fluid is Extremely Flammable and can cause death if abused. KEEP IT AWAY FROM CHILDREN.

As far as I know WD-40 was never intended to be used for, in and around pianos.

I would tell the customer to track down the person that ruined the action and get them to pay for all the damage. It probably was not the first time they used WD 40

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 8.  RE: WD40 damage

Posted 03-02-2023 14:23
    My ethyl silly nap cpl  has ethyl acetate in it. Which is good solvent. 
    Haven't tried it on wd40, but it's worth a try. There are a couple vids on my YouTube channel that shows how to make it. You can buy ethyl acetate online in small quantities as well as silicone oil. EA is used in fingernail polish remover as well.

-chris