Pianotech

Expand all | Collapse all

why measure at the point of attack?

• 1.  why measure at the point of attack?

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 29 days ago

Hi All,

There is something I have been thinking about for a while and I just don't understand. It's the current obsession by some ETD users with tuning on the attack. I've been peeking now and then at discussions on the subject, and there's one I'll revisit in a nutshell. Someone (I don't remember who) was demonstrating how important it was to measure pitch during the attack. In a section of his examples, he showed how results could end up being very different depending on how loud or soft the note was struck. The pitch history during the attack was chaotic. This is exactly why I would think the attack is the worst place to measure. The sustain is what the listener hears. It's where we listen for our beats. I'm not talking about the end of the sustain, but the beginning of it, still close to the attack & decay. I have heard recordings of various instruments without the attack and I was shocked at how poorly I could identify each instrument. Even a banjo sounded like an organ pipe during the sustain. While the attack is what creates the unique sound of each instrument, and sets up recognition of the medium for the listener, it seems to me that the sustain gives us our sense of pitch and blending of pitches. Why would we trust such a variable sample that can change depending on how loud or soft you play the note? This makes no sense to me. If anyone can explain that in a way I might be able to understand, I'd appreciate it. 

Maggie

------------------------------
    Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 2.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 29 days ago
    These either/or questions aren’t worth arguing about, are they? For decades, I basically tuned the sustain; our departed friend Ron Nossaman tended to tune the attack. He listened “short”; I listen “long”.

Recently I have had occasion to try tuning the attack, and have noticed that some notes tuned at the attack can devolve into an obvious beat. It seems to me, then, that leaning the strings slightly one way or another during the attack, enough to avoid the beat in the sustain is the right way to go.

Do we really have to decide one is better than the other?

• 3.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 29 days ago

Good point. I'm thinking not, but I'm not really asking which is better. I'm asking why one would want to capture a millisecond of an attack with an ETD freeze frame and use that to tune. I don't understand it and am interested in figuring out why that would have an advantage. Even if I don't agree with it, I'd like to understand it. 

If you are "LISTENING" closer to the attack, that's still not the freeze frame thing ETD's are trying to capture. ...unless I'm wrong about that which would help to explain my confusion. 

Thanks for the thoughts. Good things to keep in mind. I'd still like to understand the rationale. *shrug*

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 4.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 29 days ago
    Maggie wrote:

" I'm asking why one would want to capture a millisecond of an attack with an ETD freeze frame and use that to tune."

It's more like 700 milliseconds, and I believe the argument is that some partials destabilize after a short time and become less accurate to tune to; and that tuning with the sustain yields a different, less accurate tuning. Hence my current position is, "tune with the attack unless that doesn't work, then adjust the attack to stop any obvious beat in the sustain."

• 5.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 29 days ago

It is my understanding that the PianoScope freeze frame is actually a quick averaging function, as opposed to a "snapshot"... Taken across a consistent time is supposed to provide a stable representation of the pitch of the string.

Ron Koval

Ron Koval
    CHICAGO IL

• 6.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 29 days ago

IIRC Ron's (may he rest in peace) argument was partially that we tend to tune more stably and efficiently with repeated blows and targeting a clean attack sound.  He may have also argued at times that it yielded a better musical compromise, if the attack and decay didn't "agree", but I believe that was only part of the reason for his advocacy of tuning on the attack.  I could be wrong of course, I'm sure you talked to him far more than I did.

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 7.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 29 days ago

I think the attack technique is mainly helpful for the very highest notes that don't have much, or any sustain. At least that's been my impression and experience. I have PianoScope and have used the "Freeze" setting. I found it interesting information to have, but not necessarily where I want to set the note. For the main part of the piano, I think it can be a little confusing or even unhelpful. 

"That Tuning Guy"
    Scott Kerns
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    www.thattuningguy.com

• 8.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 29 days ago

By the way, if you want to try out PianoScope and the Freeze function (assuming you use Apple), there's a fully functional free trial version for two weeks. After that there are options to purchase it or subscribe monthly or yearly.

"That Tuning Guy"
    Scott Kerns
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    www.thattuningguy.com

• 9.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 29 days ago

Thanks for your thought, Scott. I actually am paying for a monthly version right now because I'm using it with a student. I don't tune with it & haven't tried the freeze function (nor do I know how, but I could figure it out). Playing with it may help me understand. 

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 10.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 29 days ago
    Many years ago, (in the '70's), I attended a class given by an engineer at Kimball. He told us that if we had to listen to the piano at the dynamic of the attack, we would not be able to stand it. If I remember right, he said the attack is about 10 times louder than even a split second later. The rest of the sound is absorbed by the bridge and the soundboard. 

I agree with your assessment that we listen to the sustain after a second, not at the attack. I'm not sure about the actual pitch, but it wouldn't make any difference what the attack pitch is because we don't listen to it, just as we don't measure the pitch of a string after 15 seconds.  

Wim

• 11.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 29 days ago
    Maggie - I'm entirely with you on this.

However, there are times on historic instruments when odd things happen but even then. tuning on the first few milliseconds of an attack doesn't make sense. Essentially it's a noise transient which needs to settle.

The scaling of some historic instruments means that there can be a considerable change of pitch between hit and sustain. One needs then to think about where in the time-frame of real played music pitch discernment is going to be most critical. That can be a tough call but where the decay is such that it's shorter than the sustain there's an element of needing to tune on the transient. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujNHPXMYXeM was a tuning sent to me as cent offsets and which I had to programme into an app. The result was hell and the app really unreliable. I should have used my ears :-( In contrast here's the same instrument when properly tuned https://youtu.be/xwh4Xb1waC0?t=959

In the top octave of instruments where getting a clear ETD signal has posed problems, using the TLA CTS5 one has an _immediate_ display, just like an oscilloscope because the unit is essentially analogue. The new model is better on top treble but with the old model which I use, one can see that stable phase display in the instant not running one way or the other, for as brief an instant in time to determine the pitch. The other tip is to pluck the string rather than to hammer hit it. 

Digital processing isn't fast enough, not immediate enough to match the real-time connexion between display, ear and hand on tuning lever.

Recently I've had correspondence with someone in the digital processing world who has clearly never compared a piano signal with a reference oscillation on an oscilloscope, and seen that phase locked loop (PLL) phase comparison display as used in the older analogue ETDs does exactly the same as the oscilloscope in real time. He also ridiculed me because I said that my tuning wasn't as exact as 0.1% cent. It probably is sometimes, but on an 1859 Broadwood concert grand the other day it certainly wasn't!

Best wishes

David P

--
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    David Pinnegar, B.Sc., A.R.C.S.
    +44 1342 850594

• 12.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 29 days ago

Hi David,

You're absolutely right that a digital pitch meter is never going to be AS fast as a purely analog one.  But some types of digital display really are quite snappy -- ex. the phase display in TuneLab updates at 20hz, and as far as I know the readout is pretty much instantaneous (i.e. it doesn't have to buffer samples for longer than that before giving you a visual response).  So you're looking at something like 50-100ms of delay, which is to me quite usable for realtime feedback on our tuning motions.

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 13.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 29 days ago

Scott - That makes a bit more sense in the treble...I think. 

Kent - Sorry I didn't specify my question, but I think you did interpret part of it correctly with the first reply. I think I was asking about both aural and freeze frame ETD style. You have answered both. Aurally, your description of "short" vs "long" makes sense to me. Regarding ETD's and the freeze frame, I didn't know about the destabilizing of partials. Fascinating. I will have to learn more about that. It certainly explains when beats speed up or slow down during the sustain! On a related note, I recently learned that while there is some inharmonicity in the initial transient of a bow moving on a violin string, there is a "harmonic locking" after the bow gets going and stays in motion. The inharmonicity that exists when the string is plucked or when the bow first starts, disappears. It seems a piano may be the opposite, in a way. I also didn't know about the 700 milliseconds, and your explanation after that makes sense. 

Nathan - Good follow up...also helpful. 

Wim - Interesting about the attack. The range of time you describe makes sense. 

David P. - You wrote, "He also ridiculed me because I said that my tuning wasn't as exact as 0.1% cent." On a Broadwood?!? He needs to get a life. Sheesh! 

Ron - I didn't know about the averaging, either. Thanks! 

Everyone's comments are all very helpful to me. It not only is helping me understand, it's making me realize I really don't want to take the time to experiment with this right now. Haha! I'm busy and you all have saved me a lot of time and helped me grasp some things that weren't registering. Thanks very much! 

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 14.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 29 days ago
    Hi Nathan

yes - I have used TuneLab a decade ago and found it good. But one advantage I've found with analogue displays is that they're more nuanced than the blocks of digital displays. As a result one can see, if one's not been conscious of it, an inharmonic partial running through the main phasing and this brings greater consciousness to what one's hearing. There's a sort of digital app with BullsEye sort of displays and red and green, and you're either there or you aren't and in my opinion and experience these are leading to being reliant on the machine purely and what it does, rather than the rather more multifaceted interaction of visual and aural senses that I believe good tuning really wants. 

On another thread I've seen discussion about stretch and the Railsback curve. Many apps try to stick to the Railsback - and the idea of that I thought was to get pure sounding octaves of 2nd partial with the octave above, it being a mathematical stretch being more than a 2:1 ratio but being in tune with the inharmonicity. So to that extent Railsback isn't a stretch . . . although I'd class it as one.

Best wishes

David P

• 15.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 28 days ago

Interesting!  I have next to zero experience with analog piano tuning devices, so I will keep an eye out for that next time I try one.

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 16.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 29 days ago

Hi Maggie:

Interesting question, and some very good responses.  We all know that the pitch of the string is going to be a little higher when first struck.  After about a second, it settles and the pitch goes flatter.  So, where we put emphasis, during the attack or the sustain, is the question.  There is a natural convergence of pitch among strings.  If they aren't quite perfect, they will tend to come together, like so many metronomes that tend to do the same thing.  It is true that if the attack is in perfect unison, the power is at its peak.  It will sound louder, and "crisp".  You can use this when you find a note that is too strident, detune the strings a little, and that strong attack will be somewhat mitigated. 

There is some argument that music is not played holding notes for a long time, but piano music is played with many fast notes with not much sustain in between.  That would bolster the argument that pure unisons tuned to the "attack" would be more effective, and also project the sound better in a large venue.

As far as the "freeze" feature, which is in fact tuning to the attack, measuring this interval of less than 1 second accurately has really not been possible before, especially in apps that are older that don't use FFT's and even then most can't do it very well.  Our devices have processing power that was not available before, so it is only recently that they have allowed us to calculate this accurately.  The reason the freeze feature was invented was the fact that we can't calculate with our imperfect senses exactly where the pitch is during this time, consistently.  There has to be a timer to limit the time window (freeze frame).  The phenomenon is too short to wrap our heads around.  But with our digital devices it is possible.  All of the information, ie., pitch of each partial, is available during this time.  In Pianoscope, the first 100ms (.1 sec) is ignored.  The timer then counts down while it measures all these pitches, then stops and displays the freeze line.  There is no need to wait while things settle.  Of course there is a slight delay while the calculation is made and then displayed.  This is annoying to those of us who are used to an immediate display.  I liked the Accutuner for this reason, and many have expressed this argument against ETD's. 

Strings do not always decay in pitch at the same rate, so capturing the pitch is done better during this attack phase than later.  It also means that the pitch is going to be falling over the next seconds, which may be audible as beats start to appear as each string decays differently.  It also means that if you tune to the decay that the attack second is going to be sharp, and then settle down. 

Of course, during the attack the blow force will affect the reading of the freeze line.  A hard blow will make the indicator show sharper.  I use sharp blows to settle the string, then play the test blow softly, and as consistently as possible.  Playing to a hard blow will of course make your tuning flatter, since you'd have to adjust it down.  Then your soft blows would indicate flat.  Personally (if you're familiar with Pianoscope) I like to see the freeze line just a little sharp (.1 to .2 cents) and watch the red line settle immediately to zero.  As long as you use the same technique on each string, you should be good and the unisons should be very pure.  I wish I had a device I could use that would give a consistent blow, adjustable of course.  That would help make the freeze more accurate.  I like to see the freeze line end up inside the "0" of the display.  It's easier to see this than to read the actual cents on the display. 

When you have strings with false beats or mismatched wound strings, you just have to find one that is steadier and tune the others by ear.  A prominent beat can't be tuned out, but averaging the partials seems to be the best way to get around it. 

Paul McCloud, RPT
    Accutone Piano Service
    www.AccutonePianoService.com
    pavadasa@gmail.com

• 17.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 28 days ago

One thing I've learned as I've gotten older is that even if I knew what I was doing, my assumptions about why or how it works were at best only partially correct if not plain wrong.

When we're tuning we are doing a number of complex things simultaneously and I think it's near impossible to parse them all, for example exactly how we manipulate the lever. Our hands are not just doing, they are also informing us.
    In a different thread, Fred Sturm mentioned that for him the freeze feature was counterproductive in terms of stabilizing the string. I think that's the first time someone has brought stability up in these recent discussions. I can't speak to the specific issue Fred brought up but it does point out that we are doing much more than hitting a target, durability of the tuning is just as big an issue. Probably bigger on a lot of pianos.
    It's hard to make assumptions about why we do the things we do, as far as holding the note for two or more seconds, I think there can be multiple reasons, probably most strings have some degree of falseness which appears differently in different ranges, companion strings don't change in identical fashions or present different phasing issues. I wonder if there is a certain extent of "back engineering" as we follow these changes, our brains are calculating as we're listening to find the point where we can get the best result including being able to mask the imperfections or simply listening to see if the pitch is going to move on us.
    This is all very subtle and then translating that into hand motions to manipulate the pins we can scarcely describe, the touch and feel, pulling, pushing, lifting. Much of it dedicated to stability as much as intonation. That information is communicated through our hands, not our ears or an ETD. So we may well be listening to an extended note because at that point we are concentrating on the tactile information about the state of the pins and non speaking segments, about which our ears/devices tell us nothing at all.
    When I switched to a carbon fiber hammer I found that my technique simplified a lot, not because of the carbon fiber but because the head is absolutely rigid. I realized that a lot of what I thought was torque in the pin was actually torque in the lever where the hammer joins to the head. So the torque was compounded at two different locations. My work became much more stable after I made that switch. A good example of a false assumption.  
    Lastly, for me, generally the last test notes I play before I move on are fairly short mezzo forte blows, whatever I do before is process.
    (Thanks, Fred, for provoking me to think about this.)

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 18.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 28 days ago

All,

"Where have all the pianists and composers gone? They instinctively knew the answer all these hundreds of years!"

We have not had the tools until now to fix a window of time in the first second from the attack and measure the partial frequencies averaged over that window of time. Now we do. Prior aural 'talent' cannot do this consistently. Analog signal processing tools cannot either. Now let's discuss the music and physics which coincide with the composers who knew all along.

The piano literature and piano physics unambiguously coincide and tell us the answer. The power is in the attack, and the composers knew that. Take a Chopin melodic line and you will find a slow passage has a quarter note = 48-60 range, so we get about one note per second. Isn't that interesting, because the piano decays 20 dB / sec in the middle register. 20 dB = 10x in amplitude. So after the attack we have lost 10x. In the last octave we see a 20 dB decay in 300 msec, and for low register, the 20 dB decay is about 2 sec. This is why I initially 'conceived' of the Freeze Frame concept for tuning. There is yet another physical aspect that the piano is an ever-moving target of partial frequency movement. I previously published this with graphs. Some partials will decay at least another 2-5 cents after the first second from the attack. Tuning to these is tantamount to tuning to a very weak amplitude that is now down another 20 dB or 10x so that would be tuning to something that is not even in the music that is so weak that it would cause a severe mistuning in the attack phase of the first second. Now for a funny rhetorical question, where is that piece of piano music that has one note held down for 3 seconds by itself without the sustain pedal, and the tuner says, "Oh what a beautiful piece of music that was!" Someone challenged me when I said that and showed me a Chopin prelude with a note that was a couple secs long in a melody all by itself but I pointed out that the sustain pedal is down throughout that passage. Oops!

Now if the piano partials held to their same frequencies during the decay, we have no argument and this thread is irrelevant. It isn't because the partials are also decaying significantly and at different rates, and the next neighboring half step has a different character as we see in careful spectral analysis, and we can hear that, of course.

If anyone wants me to re-post the sustain graphs of partial spread, I can do that. It is so revealing that it makes one wonder why all these years we have been tuning to a sustain that is not pianistic and fights the very laws of physics that the great composers intuitively already understood. 

Best regards,

Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 19.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 27 days ago

As an addendum to the comments I made yesterday. 

I paid attention to my process while tuning one grand and one upright today, both having sections 5-10 cents away from the target. I observed that I spend 75 or 80% of my time getting close to the target's pitch and getting the pin and non speaking segments balanced and the remainder settling the system at pitch. The proportions might differ for an aural tuner. But the majority of my time and energy goes to the mechanical aspects of the system compared to the final setting of the pitch.

I do use sustained tones during the set-up period, it would be counterproductive to use a series of short blows as that would interrupt the process of moving the pitch several cents, pin setting... in other words stabilizing. I did overstate yesterday that it is only the feel of the lever that informs this process, clearly it is one of ear/hand coordination. Then, when actually setting the pitch I noticed I'm still playing relatively longer tones though I'm physically making the adjustment towards the beginning but I'm listening for how it settles and then check again for where the pitch is on the attack. And there may be test blows in there if needed.

While I do like the concept of tuning each string at the same point in the envelope, I think Steve N's assertion that there's no musical reason to play sustained tones is a bit of red herring in that whether or not there's a "musical" reason, there are certainly mechanical reasons to employ long tones in the process of tuning a string that will stay where you want it. Certainly if the tuning involves moving the pin in the block which is the case more often than not.

Sorry for all the verbiage.

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 20.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 26 days ago

One aspect of this that I had sort of forgotten about (not really forgotten about but just not actively thinking about it) is the tendency for the entire unison to change pitch (usually flat) upon adding (particularly) the third string into the mix. This is particularly evident now that I'm combining some digital assistants into my work. This of course is one thing that Virgil Smith taught all the time and it got me thinking...

Part of the reason I started intentionally spreading my unisons years ago was to in fact counteract (or help) this phenomenon. By tuning the middle string "slightly" higher than the left (but of course not introducing an audible beat, then tuning the right string similarly, I found that I could often (but not always) get the completed unison to stay put at the target pitch. (Some unisons can be quite stubborn and persistent in this regard).

Anyway, those of you who regularly use the digital assistant, I ask how do you cope with this phenomenon whether you tune on the attack or to the aftersound? It quite obvious with the electronics. 

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 21.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 26 days ago
    Stephen R - yes in my opinion your holistic consideration of ear, hand, lever and feel is an appropriate view and it's in this way that what we do becomes an art in which experience counts rather than being able to be nailed by one factor alone.

For me stability is key, and that is achieved with a balance of ensuring that the string and pin are where they want to be, and not in a position where they're still on the move. 

So much depends on the instrument. One issue is the established wisdom that keys have to be struck hard so as to release the friction points. Then the issue becomes relevant as to whether one's tuning with string pitch on the move or on the sustain. The way to counter this to which some pianos respond is to quickly release tension on the string and bring it back up immediately. Then the hard striking isn't necessary and then one's tuning on a much more pitch-stable part of the vibrations.

Peter's point about checking the first string again after tuning 2 and 3 is also relevant. No matter how well I've tuned number 1 (I often start with the middle) by the time I've tuned 2 and 3, sometimes on machine and sometimes by ear for which I have no conscious rhyme or reason, number 1 is out, normally dropped. Were I to have set a temperament tuning single strings and then tuning the other two to the singles all by ear, the whole instrument would be tuned to that dropped pitch of number 1. This gives me either great respect for people who tune entirely by ear in total wonder or thoughts as to whether my work is leading to better tunings. 

The point relating to exact tuning of unisons on the transient giving greater projection is interesting, as also is discussion about setting the equal temperament and listening to coincidences of particular harmonics. My form of unequal temperament harmonic tuning which makes all those considerations a matter of curiosity achieves better projection such that in tests a recording engineer has to adjust his levels by 6dB as the volume of sound the instrument produces increases. This became of importance with a Yamaha C6 sent down for a concert rather than a C7 and for use with an orchestra who considered it was their show and couldn't care less about the piano and would have been quite happy to drown it. It also enables one to voice down the hammers to give a more musical sound and greater dynamics and I hope that people might enjoy the recording  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_52SJEgY2YU.

That instrument was interesting on a different level also - it was tuned the day before and at low temperature in a hurry so no time to dawdle on long sustains, left overnight covered only by a blanket, remaining perfect the following day and after 3 hours rehearsal in the morning

Best wishes

David P

--
    +44 1342 850594

• 22.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 26 days ago

So, I assume this is what many people do when they talk of "hybrid ETD/aural tuning", but I don't see it outlined a lot...  My own typical process goes something like:

Pass #1: A0-A8 with ETD overpull.  I put everything exactly where the ETD says to (or at least as close as I think is reasonable for the amount of overpull going on), and tune unisons by ear.  Repeat if needed till everything is close, ex. for a piano that's getting a big pitch adjustment.  Generally I try not to be too picky here -- I believe that speed and multiple passes are a better use of my time than trying to get glorious unisons only to have them move on me because of settling.

Pass #2: Do aural checks, especially octaves, P5's, and P12's, with open unisons and listen for anything stinky.  Usually what sticks out quickest is just bad unisons were left behind from the first pass (blame settling or my own inaccuracy as desired).  Correct those however is convenient, i.e. by ear if it's obvious just one string slipped, or by ETD if the problem is more complicated.  If the unisons are good but certain intervals still don't sound good, again correct however is convenient.  I might use unison shimming if I'm close, or just mute off all but a single string and retune to the ETD.  No matter what I'm doing the final interval eval against open unisons.

So after a fashion, you could say that I'm using the ETD to get _close_ to the point where I can do Virgil Smith-style refinement as quickly and easily as possible.

To be honest, I do not often notice times where I say "wow, that string coupling effect really messed with things!"  Open unisons usually seem to read within a few tenths of a cent on the ETD compared to single strings -- there are exceptions of course.  It's usually enough of a struggle just trying to get all the unisons, P4's, P5's, octaves, and P12's sounding good.  Incidentally if I do pull that off, the rapid beating intervals (RBI's) usually sound pretty darn good too.  It may be possible to tune those such that the RBI's are a bit suboptimal but I find with the ETD curve acting as my "nanny" that doesn't typically happen.

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 23.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 26 days ago

In response to Peter.

I agree with Nathan that many of us who use ETD's are primarily tuning unisons aurally. 

I think perhaps the general instruction to come down from above partially has to do with counteracting the flattening. Also, the final phase of hitting the target is when we release all tension imposed by the lever. So I think we adjust in anticipation of a small settling after we let off on the lever, aurally or visually. This is under normal conditions, we have different strategies for excessively tight/loose pins or problematic NSL's/bearing points. Our hands seem to know what to do.

Paul McCloud mentions above that he'll tune slightly sharp when using the freeze function to allow for settling.

When we're talking about increments under .25 cents there are a lot variables, some not in our control at all. A temperature change of 1.5 degrees during the course of tuning is enough to jumble our tuning to some extent. Or the fact that we seal up a vertical piano, maybe with a damp chaser inside after we've done our tuning. 

Steven Rosenthal RPT
    Honolulu HI
    (808) 521-7129

• 24.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago

Hi Nathan,

I would call that hybrid tuning. I've heard so many takes on "hybrid tuning" that I've come to the conclusion there are as many varieties of that as there are tuners. My style was mentioned. I'm biased in that I would call a hybrid tuning anything that either tunes by ear with the ETD as a compass (my style) or tunes with an ETD and goes over it by ear (your style). The styles I wouldn't personally call hybrid are those who claim they are tuning partially by ear because they are tuning unisons by ear (that just annoys me...my problem), and those who do things to a program because they believe it comes out closer to an aural tuning. I wouldn't call that hybrid at all because there is zero ear used in tuning, but they call it that, so it's a hybrid tuning in their world. 

I have trouble with unisons not matching my original pitch/beat rate, but mostly in the bass. In that case, it's not coupling or Weinrich, it's just mismatched strings. I'm surprised people don't seem to deal with this as much as I do. I'm assuming it's because I work on such a wide quality of piano, including many with scaling problems. *shrug*  

Maggie

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 25.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 25 days ago

Peter,

Speaking for myself, I find "the tendency for the entire unison to change pitch (usually flat) upon adding (particularly) the third string into the mix." to be a non-issue. DIdn't find it when tuning aurally for 15 years, haven't found it using electronics for nearly 30 years.

Aurally, having read Virgil Smith's assertions, I tested them by listening to beat rates. Single string against another single string, compared to three string unison to the same other string. No difference in beat rate that I could hear. Also was unable to confirm the phenomenon using an Accutuner once I started tuning with it - measuring pitch of each string, zeroed to the display, then checking the unison, I found no difference.

Then, in the late 1990s, Jim Coleman wrote that he hadn't been able to measure such a difference using his Accutuner, but when he got RCT, which had a more precise reading, he was able to find that difference, in the range of about 0.1 - 0.2¢. 

Once I got Cybertuner, I made my own, very careful measurements with it. I carefully chose unisons made up of three strings that I could produce stable full blush on. I tuned the three strings of each such unison carefully to get full blush, and rechecked that they were spot on. I then read the unison. I again rechecked to see that all three single strings were zeroed.  

Result: most often, the three string unison was at full blush. In those cases where the display showed a small creep from stable, that creep was as often in the sharp direction as in the flat direction.

Meanwhile, Jim Ellis had made some theoretical calculations of the physics behind the assertion, and found that at most it would be in the less than 0.1¢ range, insignificant for purposes of practical tuning.

I agree with that assessment. I further believe that the tiny flattening of pitch between about 200-300 microseconds after impact and 1.5 - 2 seconds after impact is insignificant for purposes of tuning. It is only that first quarter second or so where the maximum pitch change occurs, and that period is also where we are hearing all the percussive impact noise. 

In any case, absolute pitch of individual notes, within one to two cents, makes little to no difference. The "just noticeable difference" for pitch, in rough terms as measured in many studies, tends to be around 5-6¢. When played in context (intervals and particularly unisons and then octaves) it is quite a bit smaller, but that is due to interference patterns. Raw pitch is very forgiving. Differences of less than one cent are imperceptible for most practical purposes.

Fred Sturm
    University of New Mexico
    fssturm@unm.edu
    http://fredsturm.net
    http://www.artoftuning.com
    "We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same." - Carlos Casteneda

• 26.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 25 days ago

I captured a recording of A4 and performed a spectrogram analysis for all the partials, and power envelope overlay so we can see precisely with this example of how the power and partials change over time. Every note is different, so this is one example at A4. The power envelope shows that at 500 msec after the attack, we are down 18dB in power, nearly 10X from the attack level. This was done with the sensor so that there is absolutely no hammer noise, only string movement magnitude changes! In this first 500 msec, the partials have decayed only about 0.3 cents overall, some more than others. But when we get to 1 full sec (1000 msec), we are down nearly 0.8 cents overall for the 1st and 2nd partial. The 1st partial bottoms out at 1.5 sec (1500 msec) to more than 1 cent flat, then comes back up some for the next second. But remember that after 1 sec, the power level relative to the attack is more than 25 dB down! So the point is to capture the ever-dynamic and ever-changing moving target at a precise time where the power is high.

To my knowledge, this type of spectrogram / power analysis has not been published in the literature, but it does take away a lot of subjectivity. Having done this for many other notes, they all have a different signature and character. Myself and others have reported a noticeable 'crispness' to the sound of the piano as a result of tuning to a window of time averaged in the first 1 sec or less. I am using 700 msec typically for all the notes.

Power and Partials - Spectrogram

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 27.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago

Fred,

Interesting, since I have noticed the phenomenon both aurally (confirming with beat rates) and with the ETD, and I continue to experience it now.

It is of course agreed that 1) it is inconsistent from note to note, 2) it also sometimes goes sharp, 3) sometimes it does both, 4) sometimes it stays put and doesn't move a wink, 5) occasionally it occurs between just two strings, rather than three. Virgil acknowledged all of this from what I read. His point simply was if it does it (particularly goes flat) you want to compensate for it. In my own experimentation I found that I could (often) counteract the pitch decay (when I detect it) by slightly raising the pitch of next string and relying on the bridge coupling to prevent a "beat" from arising. Then, if needed (for stubborn ones) I could do the same with the third string. What I began to notice though in the process was that the body of the tone seemed to improve as well as the sustain. Admittedly, one can go too far with this so it is necessary to keep a tight rein on the process (and of course some pianos simply will not tolerate any spread whatsoever and must be tuned as close to the attack as possible for any kind of clean sound). However, over time I have arrived at a satisfying process that allows a bit of "voicing" of the unison focusing on beauty over power, with a pretty good success rate. 

Currently I am using the sensor and the ETD to try to refine the process. Still a work in progress. I do not believe that the phenomenon is "all in my head". 

Nonetheless, there is merit in tuning directly in the "attack" phase, and therefore it is also on the "menu".

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 28.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago
    Peter,
    Yes, very interesting that two tuners with long years of experience can have such varying experiences, and, of course, there is no way for either to share real time experience with the other due to distance. 

I will point out that I have been tuning exclusively with the aid of ETD since 1995 (SAT 1995 to about 2003, RCT since then, and have experimented with TuneLab, PianoScope, PianoMeter, Verituner). The majority of my tuning for most of that time was in a university environment, where I followed myself at intervals from next day to a few weeks, same pianos, year after year. I focused early on unisons and stability, and used the ETD to aid me in achieving both to a very high degree of precision.

Thus, I have been measuring every string and unison both with a precision device and with my ear for all those years, thousands of tunings. I am utterly convinced of what I wrote earlier. Apparently you are also utterly convinced by your own experiences. Pointless to argue about it.

I'll point out a factor that hasn't been mentioned: mating. If strings are unmated, even to a small degree, there will be both out of phase and difference in the tonal/pitch profile. The string that is struck first will have a larger excursion, therefore a sharper prompt pitch, than strings struck later. The unison will never sound clean. It is possible to detune such an unmated unison to get a somewhat better sound. 

Since most pianos I come across that I haven't prepped myself leave much to be desired when it comes to mating, I assume that that is the case in most pianos across the country. I have speculated that this is what has led to the notion of customizing every unison for an optimal tone quality. 

In my own experience, the best tone quality comes from mated hammers with spot-on clean unisons. But to each his own.

BTW, if you want to read what Virgil wrote, his autobiography is available, including both his earlier short book on tuning and the new edition he had almost completed shortly before his passing, as well as a very interesting, detailed conversation he had in the pages of the Journal with Dan Levitan. There are many passages in the autobiography that make clear the development of his skills and his ideas. Published by the Foundation, www.ptgfoundation.org, available in eBook as well as hard copy. (I played a large role in bringing that project to completion).

Fred Sturm
    fssturm@unm.edu
    www.artoftuning.com
    "Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." -Gustav Mahler

• 29.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago

Fred,

What you wrote here:

"I'd like to point out a factor that hasn't been mentioned: mating. If strings are unmated, even to a small degree, there will be both out of phase and difference in the tonal/pitch profile. The string that is struck first will have a larger excursion, therefore a sharper prompt pitch, than strings struck later. The unison will never sound clean. It is possible to detune such an unmated unison to get a somewhat better sound"

Could very well be quite important in this whole regard. Yes, I have certainly cleaned up and improved numerous unisons that were "untunable" simply by improving the hammer/string mating (almost a universal problem in bass sections and low tenor issues). 

I like this idea, and therefore I'm going to put it to the test and see if this 'decay signature' can be altered in a predictable way (or just simply altered) as you have suggested. It is a VERY common symptom in common everyday pianos. I'm glad you mentioned it as it had not specifically occurred to me. 

I am now wondering if spectrogram analysis can also play a role in this (in the "lab" environment). Hmmmm....

Peter Grey Piano Doctor 

Peter Grey
    Stratham NH
    (603) 686-2395
    pianodoctor57@gmail.com

• 30.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago

I'm reading these replies one at a time, so apologies for a flood of emails about to come to inboxes. 

Fred -You wrote: "If strings are unmated, even to a small degree, there will be both out of phase and difference in the tonal/pitch profile."

I think this should not be underestimated. This may be what I'm dealing with most of the time! Regulation and voicing can have a big impact on these things. So, the problem may be that you are working on pianos that have been well taken care of, with the regulation, voicing, and mating all being in good condition. LOL! 

Steve said, "Every string is different." This is related to the above. I believe this is a complex topic and there are no simple answers. Having said that, I understand much more now than I did before this thread. :-) 

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 31.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 22 days ago

I also saw Virgil Smith demonstrate this phenom (Weinrich) many years ago. During the past 4 - 5 years using an ETD due to arthritis in my hands, I have noticed it more often. Almost always, the unison running between .5 and 1.5 cents flat. With my previous aural tuning style, I usually leaned on a tighter 5ths at the expense of a noisier 4ths when tuning octave upwards from the temperament which I think gave me more safety buffer regarding this phenom. I think it is coming more from the 4th partial the few times that I have checked aurally as the 2:1 octave test usually works but I will see some error in the 4:2 octave test. Still studying it a bit...

Tremaine Parsons RPT
    Georgetown CA
    (530) 333-9299

• 32.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago

Hi Fred,

I'm with Peter on this one. I think the reason you haven't found this is you picked random samples. WHEN I experience this, it it probably around .5% of the time, but with 250ish strings, that can add up enough for me to notice. Not counting bass strings, I find this doesn't happen often on newer, high end pianos. It's usually on older pianos or those with scaling problems. This tells me it could, in reality, be mismatched strings. As I mentioned to Nathan, this happens to me all the time with mismatched bass strings. I can get very clear differences read on an ETD (Tunelab & iRCT). Most of the time these differences are very small (around a cent, give or take), particularly in the unwound strings, but not always. Sometimes the difference can be as much as 2 cents in unwound strings and 5ish cents in wound strings. When I have mismatched wound strings and am reading them with an ETD, sometimes the unison will match one of the strings while the other is tuned sharp or flat to make a good sounding unison. Sometimes the unison is pitched between the two strings, with one reading sharp and the other reading flat. It happens often enough that I tend to be extra careful around the wound strings with unisons. I can easily tune a high bass section to my liking, then find the beat rates off after putting unisons together. ETD readings match this. 

But, like I said, this averages out to around 2 strings per piano (some have no problems; others have several). Picking random samples will likely show no problems. 

Maggie

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 33.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago
    Maggie,
    Concerning wound bichords, that is an entirely different kettle of fish. It is quite difficult to manufacture wound strings so that the bichords are perfectly matched as to the mass of the windings. Many bichords have such discrepancies in partial ladders that it is impossible to make the unison sound clean. 

It is quite easy to see this with an ETD that is listening to an individual partial (like RCT) by zeroing both strings at the normal partial, then doing octave up and having it listen to another, higher partial. Discrepancies of over 10¢ are not unusual. (This is difficult - maybe impossible - to do with an ETD that automatically senses the pitch of the note you are tuning).

Compromising between matches at the two partial levels will generally yield the best place for the unison to be: not perfect, but generally bearable.

Regards,
    Fred Sturm
    "A mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled." Plutarch

• 34.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago

I was gonna say roughly the same thing but Fred said it better 😂. And I'm strangely hungry for fish now.

I too encounter a lot of mismatched bass strings. I realize it's a bit off topic but have you tried the pitch lok string couplers that Scott Jones used to sell? They aren't a perfect solution but they are an absolute godsend when time/funds aren't available to replace the stinky bichord(s). I will be very sad when mine run out because I don't know that you can still buy them. I'll have to figure out how to make more.

Nathan Monteleone RPT
    Fort Worth TX
    (817) 675-9494
    nbmont@gmail.com

• 35.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago

I haven't tried them! I should. 

And yes about the wound strings. I was adding that to the mix because my experience with unwound strings is basically the same except divide by 4 in quality and divide by 10 in number. 

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 36.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago
    I don't think Scott is selling them anymore

• 37.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 23 days ago
    There are others who will be missing the couplers, myself included. They can also mitigate front duplex noises without killing the sustain.
    Perhaps a company like Supply88 could produce the couplers.

Joe Wiencek

• 38.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago

I've been experimenting with the sensor for almost two weeks now with different programs. 
    I am unable to replicate the unique results of using pianoscope with the freeze frame and the sensor with other apps. It gives me some evidence the other theories behind using the sensor made by Steve have some merit.
    My customers are really enjoying the crispness and tactile sensation that results from this style of tuning. I find it very satisfying and musical. It can be a bit more powerful of a sound at times to my ears, but can be easily tamed by changing one's touch. 

I am tuning a piano for some highly skilled aural tuners tomorrow to get their feedback on the overall sound and musicality of the tuning. I think it needs to be experienced as a whole and not just through traditional evaluation of unisons to be fully understood and appreciated as a viable tuning style. 

Tim Michaels
    pianotechtim@gmail.com

• 39.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago

Steve - You wrote, " 'Where have all the pianists and composers gone? They instinctively knew the answer all these hundreds of years!' " 

Why is this in quotes? Who said this? I know many pianists and composers. As far as composers, I can tell you with a high degree of confidence that most of them write music for instruments other than the piano. They are looking a melodic lines and harmonic structures before they are thinking about the attack of a piano hammer on strings. Just sayin'. 

Maggie Jusiel, RPT
    Athens, WV
    (304)952-8615
    mags@timandmaggie.net

• 40.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago

I read Fred Sturm's post and I must say I was sitting next to Dr Sanderson watching Virgil Tune when he was showing how the pitch changes adding another wire. Dr Sanderson couldn't find the difference until he switched to measuring the partials. He found the difference in the 4th partial,, I believe. It's been awhile. The 4th partial went flat but none of the other partials or the fundamental. That's why Virgil's aural checks showed the change.

Keith

Keith Roberts
    owner
    Hathaway Pines CA
    (209) 770-4312

• 41.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago

I made a 'labeling' mistake (typo) on the one of the graphs I posted, but the curves are correct. The graph label should have said Partial 'Frequency Changes' (Cents)  over Time, as it is essentially a 'spectrograph.' So what I did is fix that Label. I now put that bottom graph on top of the other one. It is the 'superposition' of both frequency and magnitude that is important.

I re-write the explanation below.

I captured a recording of A4 and performed a spectrogram analysis for all the partials (Top graph), and power envelope (Bottom graph) overlay so we can see precisely with this example of how the power and partials change over time. Every note is different, so this is one example at A4. The power envelope shows that at 500 msec after the attack, we are down 18dB in power, nearly 10X from the attack level. This was done with the sensor so that there is absolutely no hammer noise, only string movement magnitude changes! In this first 500 msec, the partials have decayed only about 0.3 cents overall, some more than others. But when we get to 1 full sec (1000 msec), we are down nearly 0.8 cents overall for the 1st and 2nd partial. The 1st partial bottoms out at 1.5 sec (1500 msec) to more than 1 cent flat, then comes back up some for the next second. But remember that after 1 sec, the power level relative to the attack is more than 25 dB down! So the point is to capture the ever-dynamic and ever-changing moving target at a precise time where the power is high.

To my knowledge, this type of spectrogram / power analysis has not been published in the literature, but it does take away a lot of subjectivity. Having done this for many other notes, they all have a different signature and character. Myself and others have reported a noticeable 'crispness' to the sound of the piano as a result of tuning to a window of time averaged in the first 1 sec or less. I am using 700 msec typically for all the notes.

Partial Frequency Changes Overlaid with Magnitude Changes over Time

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 42.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago
    Keith,
    Yes, Dr. Al was able to find evidence of the "Virgil phenomenon," but as I understand it he had to hunt for it. It wasn't always the fourth partial. He would hunt until he found something.

My own take on Al Sanderson and Jim Coleman collaborating with Virgil was that they were trying to "bring him into the fold" by going along with some of what he had to say while educating him as to the underlying science, so that he would change some of the bizarre and clearly contrafactual assertions he had been putting forward.

And Virgil did, indeed, change the way he spoke and wrote about several things, like his notion that he only ever listened to beats "between the fundamentals" of intervals (partials had nothing to do with it, according to Virgil's early teachings. They were just what electronic tuners used.) With respect to octaves, he changed that to "whole sound listening": listening to the sum of beats at all the partial levels. 

He also asserted that he tuned so that octaves, double octave, triple octaves were equally pure. Some of that can make sense when you understand that Virgil next to never tuned anything except large grands. 

Fred Sturm
    fssturm@unm.edu
    www.artoftuning.com
    "Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." -Gustav Mahler

• 43.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago

When possible, the piano techs should provide an audio example of actual music from a real piano they tuned using a passage from the piano literature. It is going to show 'some evidence' albeit difficult to compare with other methods, that their tuning results in a high quality musical result.

Here is a soundcloud link I made this morning playing the opening slow melodic passage of the Chopin Op 48 No 1 Nocturne, with me. It was freshly tuned using the techniques I have previously described. The crystal clean clarity of the line and transparency. Hall reverb and pedal sustain are all there of course, as in a professional recording or an audience listening on Row 7 of Disney Hall. 

Steve

https://soundcloud.com/snorsworthy/chopin-48-1-open?in=snorsworthy/sets/piano

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 44.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago
    The trouble with audio examples is that they're very dependant on the sound of the instrument and its disposition of harmonics. The example is on an instrument which is possibly more distinctive than the tuning or with a microphone placement that emphasises the tonality of a part of the instrument. So much depends on repertoire also. https://youtu.be/289iHaTM2f4?t=2875 for instance demands accuracy on the sustain whilst https://youtu.be/289iHaTM2f4?t=1850 makes demands on both attack and sustain.

Best wishes

David P

--
    +44 1342 850594

• 45.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 24 days ago

David, for a more fair comparison to my Chopin, try an ET tuning on a 9' great concert modern grand rather than an unequal temperament 19th century Broadwood. Or compare my recording to that of a modern recorded ET 9' grand commercially made recording. Try Eliane Rodrigues's recordings of the Nocturnes on Apple Music, and she is on a Fazioli. She is my mentor, even though we have different interpretations, her singing line concept is like mine. --- Steve

Steven Norsworthy
    Cardiff By The Sea CA
    (619) 964-0101

• 46.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 23 days ago

Unequal temperament is neither historic nor accurate unless one is talking about an 1830's or earlier model.  By 1865 broadwood were pitched

higher than Steinway's and used long string scales derived by geometric calculalations rather than Hansing, Steinway, Bechstein, Bluthner

who used mathematics for their scale calculations and short scales especially in the treble.

Parker Leigh RPT
    Winchester VA
    (540) 722-3865

• 47.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 21 days ago

I have been following this thread with interest, even as I don't have the depth of understanding of aspects of the tuning process that several of you are demonstrating.  Steven has provided a link to a recording of Chopin Op 48 No. 1 Nocturne on his Fazioli F308 concert grand and further asked for professional recordings and asked for other recordings using equal temperament on a 9' grand  His piano's clarity of line and transparency, along with excellent recording, offer an excellent vehicle for deep listening.

David Pinneager has made the comment to the effect that the disposition of the harmonics may take place on a piano that is possibly more distinctive that the tuning, and in effect colors our response to the tuning.  He also offered a recording of a Steinway B where the same Chopin piece is played, but where the tuning is an alternative tuning.  Good to have at least a partial apples to apples comparision.

Given the above, I would like to offer a couple of recordings on a distinctly different sounding concert grand – Stephen Paulello's Opus 102 (9' 8" long).  I wish I could have found a recording on this instrument of Op 48, No. 1, but not to be.  I do offer Chopin Ballade No. 4, played by Lucas Debargue. It is from a concert in a decent sized hall.  The recording is adequate. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaglAzsdVDw&ab_channel=lucasdebarguevideo

A better recording, done in Stephen Paulello's recording studio/recital hall is professional.  Indeed, the artist Lucas Debargue recorded all 68 of Faure's solo piano pieces in this room on this piano, for an album just released a few weeks ago.  I will let you judge whether the piano is sufficiently revealing.  The piece is Faure:  3 Nocturnes, Op. 33: III, Nocturne in A Flat Major. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-VAHN_tdnM&ab_channel=LucasDebargueVEVO

The piano does sound different in both the attack and character of the sustain.

William Truitt RPT
    Bridgewater NH
    (603) 744-2277

• 48.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 21 days ago
    On a thread relating to P12 temperament I posted a pair of recordings of the same Chopin Op 48 No.1 Nocturne relevant here tuned on the sustain 

In my opinion extreme accuracy is only required by the exactitude necessary to attempt the impossible task of making equal temperament musical and I'm sure my tuning of the Steinway on that recording doesn't reach 0.1c accuracy but as I would fail PTG exams my examiners are the musicians who ask my to travel 1000 miles or so to tune their instruments.

Sometimes I'm tuning on the quietest of hammer blows on which tuning on the attack is tuning on the sustain itself. Given the right technique it's a myth that stability requires heavy hammering. Some of my instruments have demonstrated stability even after a decade since their last visit.

Best wishes 

David P 

+44 1342 850594

• 49.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 21 days ago

A couple comments concerning this thread within the thread:

The initial post concerning listening to a recording of Chopin asserted various things about "what the composer heard or intended." All these samples except one of Pinnegar's are on modern instruments, far different from the piano Chopin played. Chopin's piano had considerably thinner strings at lower tension activated by far light hammers. The tonal profile was quite distinct from that of a late 19th century grand, let alone a late 20th or early 21st century instrument.

If you want to make assertions about Chopin, you need a Chopin piano. McNulty now makes a couple facsimiles that would be appropriate. The Chopin Period Piano Competition is a good resource for listening to such instruments as well as well prepped pianos made in Chopin's time (two competitions have been held to date, and they have been archived). 

Of course, another important factor is the pianist. Listen to the same instrument played by difference pianists, and it is often difficult to believe the instrument is the same.

With the above in mind, asserting that the particular tuning of an instrument is a major factor and has something to do with what Chopin heard or wanted to hear is, shall we say, a bit of a stretch :-)

Fred Sturm
    University of New Mexico
    fssturm@unm.edu
    http://www.artoftuning.com
    "We either make ourselves happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same." - Carlos Casteneda

• 50.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 21 days ago
    Dear Fred

Yes - your observation is particularly valid. The instruments of the classic period of piano repertoire were a world away from those that are put on concert stages and recordings today.

We know that Chopin played Broadwoods and that he also played Pleyel and Erard. Close by to me in Sussex was the Finchcocks collection of instruments from which the 1802 Stodart and the 1869 Broadwood came, from a little further away the Colt Collection from whence the 1819 Broadwood came, and I was given the 1854 Emerich Betsy http://www.emerichbetsy.com/ still with leather hammers, from a lady in the next village. Nigel Scaife at https://www.thepianoshopkent.co.uk/ 20 minutes away from me has an 1840s Pleyel which he is restoring and remnants of the Finchcocks collection are in Tunbridge Wells, 20 minutes away https://www.finchcocks.co.uk/ still regularly demonstrated. 

The 1859 Hallé Iron Concert Grand Broadwood was the pinnacle of Broadwood design, replete with blocks of temperature compensating metal in the frame and the anecdotes about Chopin's visit to England to see Broadwood is discussed at https://youtu.be/289iHaTM2f4?t=4117. This recording, by the way, was made on a tape machine with 0.12% flutter, so not all pitch variation is the tuning.

There's also the 1869 Broadwood Cottage grand which my parents acquired when they were married. This instrument is particularly interesting as it's bicord in the middle register, demonstrated on https://youtu.be/KdO5LMOfw7s?t=84 and we know from the Finchcocks collection that these domestic instruments of the 1840s were bicord throughout even into the treble. Going tricord would have been one of Chopin's recommendations but on this instrument at least 70% of the treble notes are false so no hope of getting exact unisons there.

The 1880s Broadwood at Eyot House on Doyly Carte Island differs not greatly from the instruments of the 1840s. With respect to all those for whom super-smooth unisons are a target, these instruments make mincemeat of any such efforts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZboO8RiuSA was their original instrument which did that concert on its original 1880s rusty strings brought up and settling at 436 with only four strings broken. Obviously that's not how Chopin experienced these instruments but the replacement instrument of same vintage, restrung is audible on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuwylPz_Gcg 

Straight strung instruments needed and need resonance built into their tuning scheme to enable their power to emerge which it had to - they couldn't be forced. Equal temperament gives no resonant support to the sound which is why these instruments sound horribly pathetic when tuned to equal temperament.

The 1802 Stodart and 1859 Betsy are recorded on https://youtu.be/xwh4Xb1waC0?t=704 and https://youtu.be/xwh4Xb1waC0?t=958 . The 1802 instrument is a mixture of brass strings in the bass and iron above the break. With a few degrees change in temperature there is not a hope in hell of keeping tuning intact. The scaling of the Betsy causes great change between attack and sustain pitch and digital apps simply don't work with it. The Vogel CTS5 does and follows the sustain well.

The 1819 Broadwood is likewise and worse, has oval tuning pins. They are non circular. Every turn clockwise bites into the tuning plank and leaves an enlarged hole behind it so one avoids returning anticlockwise. This instrument is recorded on 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjPDefnPQNU - a winter recording needing change of temperature to bring playability . . . 
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKxpJdvgoCQ - a summer recording so more happily tuned
    Tricord throughout and with limitation of the oval tuning pins, some hope of getting 0.1c unisons.

From this my criteria in tuning the Bechstein for the Op48 Nocturne test was to achieve singing. https://youtu.be/IdvT6mAEYjc?t=570 Perhaps in these recordings one can hear harmonics of the bass notes matching scale notes specifically made possible by the temperament. 

And is it an inappropriate question to ask if the Steinway example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdvT6mAEYjc on which I gave particular attention to unisons is too sterile within the historic context?

Audiophiles have started to opt from the sterility of MP3s and compressed CDs to go to analogue vinyl with all its faults of wow and hiss, and magnetic tape - recorders for which are now fetching stratospheric prices. Is the movement to super-accuracy to which the piano world is migrating one of a false target and already rejected in parallel spheres?

A leading UK technician told me that I should be aiming for the sort of perfection that I achieve but with equal temperament and not until I'd learned this would I discover specific secrets about pianos and to which I responded that until one can listen to the Pacelbel Chaconne in F minor in 1/4 comma meantone listening to and receiving the emotion rather than the "tuning" the technician couldn't progress further . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzrIWR3s84Q

Best wishes

David P

--
    +44 1342 850594

• 51.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 20 days ago
    Returning to Chopin Op.48 No.1 here https://youtu.be/9BD8LssYGa8 is a Yamaha C3 which I revoiced in Italy yesterday on which the pianist opens with the Op 48 No.1 and then proceeds to Liszt and two preludes from the Well Tempered Clavier.

The piano is well tempered and the key colour audible is interesting.

It's tuned on the sustain throughout.

For Fazioli comparison, here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnTDkj5dYYc is the 308 - I thought it was exceptionally long - with orchestra and then solo Chopin https://youtu.be/mnTDkj5dYYc?t=4194 in my usual unequal temperament and tuned throughout on the sustain. 

Of course unequal temperament is only suitable for earlier 19th century music. WRONG. Here https://youtu.be/mnTDkj5dYYc?t=4508 we here the instrument in unequal temperament conveying the Carlo Vine sonata. The unequal temperament improves the sound of the instrument. P12 tuning brings resonances of 3rd harmonics as well as the usual even harmonics but a good unequal temperament introduces some 25% near perfect 5th harmonics also. The 9th harmonic also tends to accord also. 

https://youtu.be/mnTDkj5dYYc?t=5002 is an audible demonstration of chromatism and resulting key colour.

https://youtu.be/mnTDkj5dYYc?t=5138 is a Yamaha C7 playing Bach in unequal temperament whilst at https://youtu.be/mnTDkj5dYYc?t=5253 I asked the Junior winner to repeat his entry with the sustain down throughout. Equal Temperament is not up to the feat.

Best wishes

David P

--
    +44 1342 850594

• 52.  RE: why measure at the point of attack?

Posted 19 days ago
    A Yamaha GC1 was inspiration yesterday for recording a practical experience on tuning on sustain or attack - https://youtu.be/Z_e94lRIrfo

By the way, the recording of the Yamaha C3 with chromatism evidence was faulty yesterday - I had failed to suppress the video sound from the mobile phone camera - and is now properly on https://youtu.be/4ZiAwLsEzJo

Best wishes

David P

--
    +44 1342 850594