CAUT

• 1.  Yamaha C6/C7 hammer flanges

Posted 10-13-2022 11:43

I did a swing test on random hammer flanges of a Yamaha C6 and was getting 3 to 4 swings. Somewhere in my mind I remember LaRoy stating Yamaha flanges should swing loose at 6-7 . I used a spring gram gauge and was getting 2-3 grams. Maybe I am using the gauge incorrectly but I found an article in the PTG Journal showing the same gauge and I am placing it in the same place. Susan Graham wrote the article but it did not have specific readings/measurements to look for.

The bass hammers I tested all where in the 6-7 swing range but the low tenor mid range and high treble samples where all 3-4.  Should I just lubricate these flanges for now to get more swing ???

------------------------------
    James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357

• 2.  RE: Yamaha C6/C7 hammer flanges

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 10-13-2022 11:46
    James.

3 or 4 swings is just barely acceptable. I would put a couple of drops of Protec on the flange and see if that will be sufficient.

Wim

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Yamaha C6/C7 hammer flanges

Posted 10-13-2022 11:53
    What constitutes one swing? to and fro, or just one way? I think the norm is the half swing, but some have learned and refer to the cycle. 

4-5  single swings is what I do when repinning, knowing that it will get looser with wear (caveat: if it is particularly dry and going to get more humid, make it 5-7). 

6-8 single swings or 3-4 double will read 2-3 grams resistance, typically. With 3-4 single swings, the gram resistance will be 6-8 or so.
    Best,
    Fred Sturm
    www.artoftuning.com
    http://fredsturm.net
    "Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." -Gustav Mahler

• 4.  RE: Yamaha C6/C7 hammer flanges

Posted 10-13-2022 13:30
    Before using lubrication, try exercising the center.

Alan

Alan Eder, RPT
    Herb Alpert School of Music
    California Institute of the Arts
    Valencia, CA

• 5.  RE: Yamaha C6/C7 hammer flanges

Posted 10-13-2022 16:08
    By the way, I don't recall you mentioning WHY you have zeroed in on hammer center friction.

Alan

Alan Eder, RPT
    Herb Alpert School of Music
    California Institute of the Arts
    Valencia, CA

• 6.  RE: Yamaha C6/C7 hammer flanges

Posted 10-13-2022 16:53
    Because the piano is in  church location where humidity can cause things to tighten up. I had not seen this piano for a number of months and usually I will sample hammers to see how tight they may be. There is a concert tonight and another a week from Friday. Its hard to know what the pianist expects/wants/needs. I had a very demanding pianist a few months back that did a concert on a C5. I do not service that piano but he found it unacceptable. I worked with him and did many things on it like ease the keys, polish and lube keypins, adjusted some backchecks, letoff regulation in the piano etc  He was amazed at the difference. Turns out the regular tech only tunes the piano. And yeah.. I had to retune it

James Kelly
    Owner- Fur Elise Piano Service
    Pawleys Island SC
    (843) 325-4357