Pianotech

• 1.  Angel Shot Voicing

Posted 12-15-2011 17:13
    On 12/15/2011 6:01 AM, Brian Doepke wrote: > > > Has anyone recently tried the "Angel Shot" method of voicing as > described in the December 2011 Journal? If so, how did it work? I've done something similar from time to time, but never actually refined it into any sort of systematic method. Good article. I'll be playing with it some more. In the same issue, I also see we still haven't learned how to spell Ecsaine after all these years. Ron N

• 2.  RE:Angel Shot Voicing

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 12-27-2011 18:17
    And while we're on the subject don't forget about "angel shot" hammer/string mating in a pinch.  A single needle on a chopstick tool through the strings inserted a few mm's below the strike point will expand the hammer felt above it just enough to correct poor hammer mating.  Best done if the strings are already level and only for very modest corrections. 

-------------------------------------------
    David Love RPT
    www.davidlovepianos.com
    davidlovepianos@comcast.net
    415 407 8320

• 3.  RE:Angel Shot Voicing

Posted 12-27-2011 22:55
    Got to love that chopstick tool. Has saved my bacon on numerous occasions from having to remove the action.

Keith McGavern, RPT
    Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA
    tune-repair@allegiance.tv

• 4.  RE:Angel Shot Voicing

Registered Piano Technician
    Posted 12-27-2011 23:04
    I bought a spare chopstick voicing tool, as I bought a spare Hart spring tool, because I never want to be without either.

I finally figured out that I should break off the needle so it is just long enough to bottom in the hole and leave the right amount exposed, instead of depending solely on the tiny set screw to determine how much is exposed. That may increase the longevity of the tool, not overcranking the tiny screw with the bitsy allen key.

I also store the allen key in an old plastic film can, shoved through a styrofoam peanut. Less chance of busting it off in the kit.

Susan Kline, RPT
    Oregon State University, Newport Arts Center
    Philomath, Oregon

• 5.  RE:Angel Shot Voicing

Posted 12-27-2011 23:39
    Great info, Susan. I'm on board with the film can idea for certain. And the cutting/breaking the needle to size saves a lot of headaches. Thanks for bringing this to the attention of this subject.

Keith McGavern, RPT
    Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA

• 6.  RE:Angel Shot Voicing

Posted 12-27-2011 23:26
    Here are two pics (before and after) of a chopstick brass tool I modified. Might be worth someone's time to look.

Keith McGavern, RPT
    Shawnee, Oklahoma, USA